My baby gets hiccup frequently. Is this normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-05-2011, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My baby gets hiccup most of the time. Since this is my first, I don't know if this is normal and what to do. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 06-05-2011, 11:32 PM

oh yes! Memories. Thanks for the reminder. One of mine was a professional hiccup-er. Even hiccuped in the womb, but I didn't know what it was until he was born and hiccuping and then I thought "oh wow, that is what it was!" It goes away by itself, can't remember what age, maybe 4 months? Better than the other option, my other child was a professional farter. Hmm, actually still is.

#3 of 12 Old 06-05-2011, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. It really bothers me, I'm afraid my child might have choked something. I wonder if they still can breathe easily having hiccup.

#4 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

the last two months in utero dd hiccuped regularly in teh evening. then seh was born and she continued doing it every evening at the same time. 

do you remember what it feels like to hiccup? cant imagine it to be any really different for the baby. 

in fact even today at 8 dd starts hiccuping if she laughs really hard. in fact its now second nature to me that when we are laughing too much i calm things down and stop laughing so hard so she doesnt start hiccuping. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#5 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, i remember when I get hiccup, it's so hard to breathe. 

#6 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 AM

It is soooooooo normal.  My son had them in utero daily, which was awesome for my husband because he'd get a chance to feel our babe every day when it was happening.  Once he was born, the hiccups continued, goodness, for a good 2-3 months, I think.  And I mean daily.  DS never seemed to be truly bothered by it at all.  We always felt terribly sorry for him though.  Especially my DH - he'd get bent out of shape about it, thinking DS was in terrible pain.  (DS wasn't!  No worries!)  :)

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#7 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My DS had hiccups frequently when he was a newborn until he was about 8 months' old.  They were worst after eating. I wondered if his stomach was overextended, affecting his diaphragm and causing the hiccups. Lots of burping techniques and getting rid of gas seemed to help. 

#8 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Hiccups are often a sign of reflux--especially "silent" reflux without many other symptoms. Both my dc had reflux and got hiccups often. If you see other symptoms, especially if they seem to be in pain, perhaps look into getting a reflux diagnosis.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#9 of 12 Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 AM

I'm glad you asked this. My 8-week-old also gets the hiccups at least once a day. I've had two midwives tell me to feed him whenever he gets them, but I find that he usually gets them just after a feeding. 

#10 of 12 Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

aaaaaaah now i see why you are concerned. because u struggle to breathe. 

that has never been dd's or my experience. she never showed any signs of suffering when she got them as a newborn. and they would last quite a while. it wasnt a two minute thing. it lasted what to me felt like a long time. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#11 of 12 Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teraze View Post

It is soooooooo normal.  My son had them in utero daily, which was awesome for my husband because he'd get a chance to feel our babe every day when it was happening.  Once he was born, the hiccups continued, goodness, for a good 2-3 months, I think.  And I mean daily.  DS never seemed to be truly bothered by it at all.  We always felt terribly sorry for him though.  Especially my DH - he'd get bent out of shape about it, thinking DS was in terrible pain.  (DS wasn't!  No worries!)  :)

Thank you teraze.

It bothers me since this is my first. However, with your post I am relieved now. :)

#12 of 12 Old 06-07-2011, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

My DS had hiccups frequently when he was a newborn until he was about 8 months' old.  They were worst after eating. I wondered if his stomach was overextended, affecting his diaphragm and causing the hiccups. Lots of burping techniques and getting rid of gas seemed to help. 

Yeah. Exactly, they were worst after eating. I had to let her burp every after eating. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page