At what age should DD no longer see DH naked? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering at what age it becomes inappropriate for DD to see DH naked.  We're really relaxed about nudity and bodily functions while at home, and my mom made a comment the other day when I mentioned that my 16mo DD got in the shower with DH.  I happened to be in the bathroom at the same time (naked as well, as DD and I bathe together), but even if I hadn't, I wouldn't have thought anything of it.  We rarely close the door when using the bathroom, so DD also always sees us at those moments.  Plus, we cosleep, and usually sleep in some degree of nudity.  Does anybody else think we need to start focusing more on modesty?  If not, at what age should we start being more careful of what she sees?  My father never let us see him nude, so I guess I just don't have anything to judge by.

mamatalks likes this.

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#2 of 47 Old 06-12-2011, 10:43 PM

For me, when the kid expresses that it's an issue (or shows signs of it bothering him/her), that's when I discuss it.  With the kid.  I feel it's no one else's business.  I can be naked in my own home all I want and my kids can, too, and we can talk about it if any of us feel uncomfortable for whatever reason. 

When I was married, the X and I talked about it and he began covering his genitals when *he* became uncomfortable with it.  If he had never become uncomfortable, I certainly would not have suggested he cover up.  I think nudity is natural and fine. 

When my now 12 yo told me that he didn't like me walking around naked when he was 8 yo, we talked about it and I told him that I felt like I should be able to be naked in my own house and so should he, but if he was uncomfortable with nudity, then *he* should cover up, not try to control what I do with my body.  He agreed that that sounded reasonable and I bought him a bathrobe and from then on, he always had on clothes or his bathrobe when he was in the house.  I still roamed around naked from time to time (cuz I didn't do it all the time to begin with) and he was never uncomfortable again. 

In our home, we've always had an understanding that you can cover up if you want, but you don't have the right to tell other people they can't be naked.  Their bodies, their rules.  We all deserve to live how we feel most comfortable.  And, everything is up for discussion. 

Good luck!

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#3 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

OP - we didn't worry about it much while our kids were toddlers but we covered up more as our children got just a little older than that. It wasn't a big deal if we were at a change room for swimming or something. It wasn't a big deal for my dh to shave with a pair of shorts on and I just pulled on a robe. It wasn't a big deal. As our kids became more independent using the bathroom it was important to us to teach our children that they have a right to privacy in the bathroom and when getting dressed. If they invited us into their room or the bathroom that was fine - we didn't give the message that what they were doing or being naked was bad - but we didn't walk in on them and we taught them to do the same for us and each other. It is good to allow kids to develop a comfort with bodies but it is also important to allow them to develop healthy boundaries.

I disagree with the notion that an adult has the 'right' to be undressed whenever they feel like in their own home and if a child has a problem with it, they need to cover up. The child wasn't uncomfortable with his own nudity but someone else's! If someone else is yelling and hurting my ears, lowering my own voice isn't going to ease that discomfort if the other person keeps yelling. It is developmentally normal for an 8 year old to be uncomfortable seeing an undressed parent and covering up his own nudity does not address that discomfort. I think children, especially as they get older, also have a right not to see adult nudity in their own home. It doesn't sound like everyone has the right to live how they feel most comfortable in your house. Walking around undressed might make you feel comfortable but your child let you know that it makes him uncomfortable and it sounds like your reply told him there was no point challenging that and so it was easier to just say it was fine rather than say what you didn't want to hear.

Eyes are also body parts - does the person whose eyes are uncomfortable with seeing adult nudity not get to make the rules for that part of their own body? When my kids were younger and we were teaching about boundaries and touching and so on, we included eyes as a part of their body to be respected. Not that they should never have to see anything they don't want to but that someone showing them private body parts or pictures of them that made them feel uncomfortable was just as inappropriate as touching them or being forced to touch someone else.

#4 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 AM

My dh was uncomfortable with our daughters seeing him nude, as he's actually their step-father(he adopted my 2 older girls when they were a baby and toddler). I would have had no problem with it and it did get annoying at times (daddy can go potty alone but not mama!) but you can't force people to not feel uncomfortable! If he'd been with the oldest from the time she was born it would have felt more normal to him, but she was a toddler so it wouldn't have felt so natural.

As for me, I took baths with my dad until I was past 5, and one day at Thanksgiving I announced to my mom's uppity family that my dad's penis was bigger than my new baby brother's penis, and he took that as a hint that it was time to stop! I feel there's no problem with kids seeing their parents nude, until one begins feeling uncomfortable. I do remember my brother, as he approached puberty, didn't want my mom walking around nude but she did anyway and I felt sorry for my brother. Now that he's grown, his own children were/are never allowed to see nudity or even go in their parent's bedroom, very odd to me. I only have daughters and my oldest is 16 and I walk through the house nude. They used to say, "Eww! Gross!" or block their eyes with their hands, but now I am pregnant and sensitive so they have stopped LOL

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#5 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 06:30 AM

I'm sorry but if I told my parents that I was uncomfortable seeing them naked and they told me to cover up but they were going to continue prancing around, I'd be scarred for life, I'd move in with my fully clothed Aunt or something. 

D_McG, Buzzer Beater and matte like this.

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#6 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 07:00 AM

What comes to my mind is people exposing themselves to children (at the bus stop, or a park or whatever). Yes it's different when it's your own home and own parents, but I feel it's teaching them other people have a right to be nude around them, and that's just not true. No one has a right to flash his genitals at my daughter at the park. I still walk through the house to get to my bedroom after a shower or trying to find clothes in the laundry room, my daughters have seen their grandmothers' chests a few times, but if they truely objected I would stop. I think it's very healthy to see bodies as normal but it seems around 8 or so, boys don't want to see their moms nude and I wouldn't force the issue because of what I mentioned at the beginning of this post. I would not want my children to get flashed by some stranger(or uncle, or anyone unwanted) and feel dirty from it, because "people have a right to be nude". As an adult, they will understand intent but as a child not so much!

greenmulberry likes this.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#7 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_gooseberry View Post

Just wondering at what age it becomes inappropriate for DD to see DH naked.  We're really relaxed about nudity and bodily functions while at home, and my mom made a comment the other day when I mentioned that my 16mo DD got in the shower with DH.  I happened to be in the bathroom at the same time (naked as well, as DD and I bathe together), but even if I hadn't, I wouldn't have thought anything of it.  We rarely close the door when using the bathroom, so DD also always sees us at those moments.  Plus, we cosleep, and usually sleep in some degree of nudity.  Does anybody else think we need to start focusing more on modesty?  If not, at what age should we start being more careful of what she sees?  My father never let us see him nude, so I guess I just don't have anything to judge by.

Either you or your little one will give off signals that they find certain nudity uncomfortable and I think that should be respected.  I am trying to think when that happened in my house and I think it was around 4-6. It varies a bit from kid to kid and amongst adults.  It is not your mom's call, though, so I would put her comments out of your head.

Shenjall likes this.
#8 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post

For me, when the kid expresses that it's an issue (or shows signs of it bothering him/her), that's when I discuss it.  With the kid.  I feel it's no one else's business.  I can be naked in my own home all I want and my kids can, too, and we can talk about it if any of us feel uncomfortable for whatever reason. 

When I was married, the X and I talked about it and he began covering his genitals when *he* became uncomfortable with it.  If he had never become uncomfortable, I certainly would not have suggested he cover up.  I think nudity is natural and fine. 

When my now 12 yo told me that he didn't like me walking around naked when he was 8 yo, we talked about it and I told him that I felt like I should be able to be naked in my own house and so should he, but if he was uncomfortable with nudity, then *he* should cover up, not try to control what I do with my body.  He agreed that that sounded reasonable and I bought him a bathrobe and from then on, he always had on clothes or his bathrobe when he was in the house.  I still roamed around naked from time to time (cuz I didn't do it all the time to begin with) and he was never uncomfortable again. 

In our home, we've always had an understanding that you can cover up if you want, but you don't have the right to tell other people they can't be naked.  Their bodies, their rules.  We all deserve to live how we feel most comfortable.  And, everything is up for discussion. 

Good luck!

Seriously?

#9 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Good luck!

Hold on.  Your kid tells you that he is uncomfortable seeing you naked, and you tell him that it's basically his problem, and he shouldn't try to control your body?  Are you serious?

#10 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Good luck!

"And he was never uncomfortable again"?

More likely he never brought it up again because he didn't get listened to the first time.

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
#11 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Good luck!

That's really disturbing to me.
#12 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:

I sort of get what you are saying, but think you have taken it too far.

For example - I have the right to wear a bikini in public if I want, and if you think my size 14 body should not be in a bikini that is just too bad!  I also have the right to nurse in public, wear ugly clothes etc....

It really is your problem if you are offended for the most part by what I wear.  

However, if your son is telling you he is uncomfortable, I think you should listen.  The possible negative consequences of not following through on his request is probably higher than following through.  It is important to teach children that if they are uncomfortable with something they should speak up and ask for change. It was not an unreasonable request.  I think honouring boundaries he is asking for is more important that your desire to go in the buff.

I also think teaching children that people do have the right to wear what they want is pretty easy.  The world is full of judgment about how people dress - you can always comment on that when it comes up.

I do get that your son is now 12 and may very well be Ok with how things transpired.  I am simply putting the rest out there for anyone else reading or thinking about this topic.

#13 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:

he was never uncomfortable again.  

Or since you shot him down with some weirdness about how it was HIS problem he was embarrassed and never brought it up again.

D_McG likes this.
#14 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 10:03 AM

how amazing that your kid was willing and able to talk to you about your nudity making him uncomfortable. i mean, wow, how mature of him. it's really too bad you shot him down and now he has to deal with his uncomfortable feelings about it in silence. who knows how he is really feeling now. i imagine he wouldn't tell you.

#15 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post

I disagree with the notion that an adult has the 'right' to be undressed whenever they feel like in their own home and if a child has a problem with it, they need to cover up. The child wasn't uncomfortable with his own nudity but someone else's! If someone else is yelling and hurting my ears, lowering my own voice isn't going to ease that discomfort if the other person keeps yelling. It is developmentally normal for an 8 year old to be uncomfortable seeing an undressed parent and covering up his own nudity does not address that discomfort. I think children, especially as they get older, also have a right not to see adult nudity in their own home. It doesn't sound like everyone has the right to live how they feel most comfortable in your house. Walking around undressed might make you feel comfortable but your child let you know that it makes him uncomfortable and it sounds like your reply told him there was no point challenging that and so it was easier to just say it was fine rather than say what you didn't want to hear.

Oh my!  Totally agree with this.  If my dad had done that to me, I would have absolutely considered it abusive.  Poor kid probably never felt "comfortable" with mom's nudity...just realized that he had tried to change it and wasn't able to.  WOW

matte likes this.
#16 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

Oh my!  Totally agree with this.  If my dad had done that to me, I would have absolutely considered it abusive.  Poor kid probably never felt "comfortable" with mom's nudity...just realized that he had tried to change it and wasn't able to.  WOW

yeahthat.gif

What kind of a message is this sending to him about respecting other people's boundaries? Or feeling safe about talking to someone when they are uncomfortable? I can't even believe this. If your 8 year old daughter told you that she felt uncomfortable seeing an adult male in the family naked, would you tell her that she had no right to ask that and that SHE should make sure she is covered?

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
#17 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 03:10 PM

I think in general whenever parent or child show a sign of discomfort. For us DH is very modest in that area now that we have DD. He just doesn't feel comfortable with it. Before DD if he was allowed to walk around naked the minute he got home he would. But I had issues with it. I am sorry but I don't want his naked ass on the furniture. Other people have to sit there too. For me I am less modest with DD at this point. But we also don't bathe with DD at all. Just doesn't feel right to us so we don't. I have tired and it just takes more work then what its worth for me. I imagine if we have a boy I would start covering up more and more once they hit 3 or 4.But thats because that is what I am comfortable with. 

I think I was around 7 or 8 when I first said something to my dad about walking around in his underwear. After that he got a robe. I know I was a lot younger when he started kicking me out of the bathroom when he would shower.

I had a friend in school whose mom and step dad were always naked. There thinking was my house my rules. Talk about weird when we would be at her house and seeing her step dad walk out to the living room naked as can be and just hold a conversation with us. 

I feel really bad for the above poster's son to be told to just suck it up. Because in some ways it could really create some problems in other areas of feeling comfortable with his own body or others. 

#18 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 04:15 PM

Well I think there is also something to be said for NOT waiting until a kid actively expressed discomfort about it before thinking about it. My dad and I shared a bed until I was about 10 and he slept naked until I offhandedly told my mom about it (they were divorced and split custody) and she HIT THE ROOF and told him to never do that again. It made me SUPER uncomfortable but I was a very sensitive and shy kid, and it would not have EVER occured to me to assert any sort of boundary. That was just "how it was" and that was that, in my mind. I just sucked it up.

In an ideal world, then yes, kids would be able to express discomfort (AND BE HEARD AND RESPECTED) and there you go. But I think it's irresponsible to wait until a child expressed discomfort. It might be too late at that point, yk?

Oh, and OP thank you for thinking about it. I think you are just fine for now and it will depend on a lot of factors. I don't have kids so I can't speak to it from that end but as a child I found that I started really feeling weird about around 7 or 8.

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
#19 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

DH actually used to be a lot more paranoid about being naked in front of DD. Now she's 3, and he's realised she totally doesn't care (for now, at least), so he's loosened up a bit. We don't tend to wander around randomly naked, but if he's in the shower and she wanders into the bathroom, he doesn't freak out or anything; and he'll change clothes in front of her. It's a total non-issue.

I do remember being somewhat traumatised as a kid, when Mum would make me shower with her (for ease of washing my hair, which was a tad traumatic to begin with). I hated it, but was too shy to say anything - so I agree with a PP that a parent shouldn't necessarily wait for an explicit conversation initiated by the kid.

And the whole "my child shouldn't try to control my body" thing - say what? I really don't get this logic. If a child says "I wish you wouldn't smoke around me", is the correct response "If you don't want to smoke, don't smoke, but I'll do what I want"? Of course not. How we act in a shared home affects other people. If our flatmate decided he wanted to walk around naked regardless of our discomfort, well, he'd be looking for a new flat!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#20 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

If our flatmate decided he wanted to walk around naked regardless of our discomfort, well, he'd be looking for a new flat!

truedat.gif

#21 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 05:27 PM

Well, my kids are 'older' than a lot of the parents. Our kids still see us naked.

Dd is 7, and dd had day surgery where he was completely undressed. When I went to pick him up, dd (age 7) was with me. Dh started to get dressed (and I needed to help him as he'd had abdominal surgery and was pretty sore/stiff). The nurse asked if we wanted to send our dd out, and dh just looked at her and said "no, it's OK if she stays." I think we started/perplexed the nurse. But if the choice was between dd standing alone in the hallway vs. being in with us, it was in with us.

That being said, I think when our kids hit puberty, I'm going to start being more cautious. Ds (age 10) usually doesn't stay in the room when I've got no clothes on (I don't spend a lot of time naked, it's usually just after a shower or getting dressed), but he'll happily stay if all I've got on is a bra and panties. That tells me he's probably at the age where I need to be more careful. Interestingly, he still wants help with his bath, so he doesn't mind me seeing him naked.

My bottom line would be:

When either the child or the parent are uncomfortable, it's time to cover up.

For us (we've lived in Europe), that's a pretty old age. For others, it might be much earlier.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#22 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 06:10 PM

I still see my mom naked and she sees me. Not very frequently, but it happens. I've also seen parts of my MIL.

#23 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD1 is 8, and DH is still naked often in front of her. He tends to be the type that wanders around without clothes on at times. It hasn't bothered her yet, but she also wanders around unclothed as well so apparently nudity doesn't phase her yet. When one of our children express a desire to not have others see them or not see others unclothed then we are fine with covering up. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#24 of 47 Old 06-13-2011, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:

you were far kinder to your son than my mom was. she told my bro to get over it and to stop acting like such a prude. she asked him to think about why he felt what he felt. was it societal pressure or truly shyness from his side. if it was true shyness on his part she would stop. he never said anything. 

it was never an issue ever more. it did help my bro to have an open mind about others nakedness - and how he himself looked at public nudity.

eyesroll.gif my same mom would try to hide from dd when seh was 9 months old. and again at  3 years old. she would never let dd see her naked. but her kids even now is ok. 

ex stopped when dd was around 4 or 5 coz he felt uncomfortable. however now its dd who  eyesroll.gif ma what's the big deal. daddy keeps hiding from me when he is changing. what's the big deal about being naked?!!! i just dont get it. 

mind u she gets that she has to respect his decision, but she just doesnt see what the big deal about being naked is all about. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#25 of 47 Old 06-14-2011, 11:09 AM

I haven't read all the replies yet.

IMO, if your dd or your dh are uncomfortable with him being naked in front of her, it's time for him to start covering up.

I haven't really had to deal with this much. DS1 ran around the house  naked quite a bit until he was 7 or 8. He didn't completely stop until dh (his stepdad) moved in a few months after his 8th birthday. I was still naked in the house a lot until that point, as well. Because of the new relationship between me and dh, things shifted a litttle in the house, and I mostly stopped being naked in front of ds1 when dh moved in...but it still wasn't a big deal if I happened to walk to the bathroom with no robe and ds1 got up (happened once, I think). It's been a long time since ds1 and I saw each other naked, and I"m sure neither of us would be comfortable with it now (he's 18). OTOH, ds1 can walk in and find me lying ont he couch with my breasts hanging out and not even bat any eyelash, because he's had younger siblings who are breastfeeding for a large part of his teens. DD2 is a snacker, and sometimes, she pushes up my shirt and then walks away, so...yeah - ds1 is used to that.

DD1 hasn't seen dh naked in a while, but I'm not sure how long. I think if she walked into our room and he didn't have a robe or sheets on, she'd feel uncomfortable and leave (she's become more aware of these things in recent months), but it wouldn't be a huge deal. She's 8 now.

At...was it 16 months?...this isn't even on my radar. Mind you, I don't believe that modesty, with respect to nudity, is a virtue, anyway. So, I may be coming from a different place on this than other people.

Okay - off to read the thread!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#26 of 47 Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Good luck!

This is both disturbing and completely nonsensical. First, my wearing a parka to dinner at my mother in law's isn't going to make ME more comfortable with her wanting to be naked in her own home. Nor is it going to change my perceptions about my own body. That makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

And second, it is my job as a parent to make my daughter feel comfortable, happy, content, safe, etc in HER own home. Because after all, she lives here too! This isn't my house, it's OUR house. Our family's house. We are a unit. Part of living with other people is reaching common ground, being respectful, making compromises. All that happy horse do-do. 

I get not wanting to make the naked human body weird, I really do. But the fact is, you can't dictate to other people what they should and should not be uncomfortable with in a group living situation. If my daughter were afraid of snakes, I wouldn't keep them as pets. You know? Your son does not have the option of moving out and getting an apartment at the age of 12 should he be uncomfortable with your actions.

If I found myself living in a communal situation, I would not be comfortable with other adults being naked around me. And I am quite comfortable with my own over weight body. I love the beach, wear nothing but tanks and shorts in the summer, having no problems wearing a tankini. And yet, I don't want to run into someone walking down the hall to the bathroom naked. I really don't. And that's MY comfort level. You get no say in that. And if we were living in a house together, I'd hope you would have enough respect for me as your roommate to honor that. Just I would do for you, because that's the decent thing you do when you live with other people. You have not afforded your son that basic amount of respect.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#27 of 47 Old 06-14-2011, 12:14 PM

I guess for me it's what 'kind' of nudity.  Is it someone walking through the house naked just because or is it someone walking from the bathroom to the bedroom after a shower naked?  Our bathroom is not attached to our bedroom so we (DH and I) often will walk naked from a shower to the bedroom - about 7 feet.  If the kids are around, they will see us naked.  If they are not around, they will not.  To this day as a grown adult, if I am in my parents room when one of them gets out of the shower they will walk out, say hi and get dressed.  No big deal.  It really does depend on the comfort level of everyone involved.  I think it also depends on the attitudes of those people.  If it's a natural thing then it's no big deal.

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#28 of 47 Old 06-14-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrie View Post

I guess for me it's what 'kind' of nudity.  Is it someone walking through the house naked just because or is it someone walking from the bathroom to the bedroom after a shower naked?  Our bathroom is not attached to our bedroom so we (DH and I) often will walk naked from a shower to the bedroom - about 7 feet.  If the kids are around, they will see us naked.  If they are not around, they will not.  To this day as a grown adult, if I am in my parents room when one of them gets out of the shower they will walk out, say hi and get dressed.  No big deal.  It really does depend on the comfort level of everyone involved.  I think it also depends on the attitudes of those people.  If it's a natural thing then it's no big deal.

In the context of Princesstutu, it doesn't really matter what kind of nudity is the problem. Her son brought it up, she dismissed him, and then told HIM to put clothes to make himself more comfortable. I'm assuming the article of clothing she's talking about was an eye cover? Because that's about the only thing that I can see working.

APToddlerMama likes this.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#29 of 47 Old 06-14-2011, 02:26 PM

To answer OP's question: my mom made a similar comment about dh taking baths with dd. What was annoying to me was that she never made any comments about me bathing with ds!

I would say, when the child seems uncomfortable, I would stop being naked around him. I think with ds we're getting close to that point, he's ok with himself or his sister being naked, but not really with me.

Dd couldn't care less!

caffix.gif

#30 of 47 Old 06-14-2011, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

"At...was it 16 months?...this isn't even on my radar. Mind you, I don't believe that modesty, with respect to nudity, is a virtue, anyway. So, I may be coming from a different place on this than other people."

Yeah, I can't imagine thinking about it at 16 months.

I have a 7 y.o., and he recently put the kibosh in bathing together (doesn't mind bathing with his sister if the occasion calls for it, but has decided that post-pubescent female genitalia is "horrible" and not something he wants to be in close proximity to, ever. He was very clear on this ROTFLMAO.gif). But he doesn't seem to notice or care about nudity (his, mine or Dad's) while sleeping, getting dressed etc. I assume that once he hits puberty, he'll start to feel different about this kind of thing, and I will have to invest in a nightgown. 

But at 16 months? No way it was on his radar. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page