Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

#181 of 218 Old 06-22-2011, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

Maybe it's the margarita, but I totally read this wrong the first time.  shy.gif

I think you & I read the exact same thing.....whistling.gif

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#182 of 218 Old 06-22-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacemongerMom View Post

When my son was a baby and toddler I was completely mainstream.I did not wear my baby or CD, we went through phases of co sleeping and my son is circ'd, even worse I had a c section, although I had placenta previa. 

Welcome :)

I didn't babywear (too cheap to buy a carrier. But I did carry ds1, like, all the time!). Ds1 is circ'ed (ds2 is not). I had an epidural hospital birth with ds1- and there was no way in heck I was going to skip the epi (with ds2, I was terrified of epi's, so there was no way in heck I was going to have an epi!)! And I've spanked ds1, even though I knew better (obviously, I regret it). Oh, and he was fully vaxed on schedule until he was 12 mos old.

I don't think what you did in the past has any bearing on how crunchy you are now. kwim? You know that saying "when you know better, you do better." (I hope I got that right). It's what you are doing now, and what you aspire to do, that matters, imo.

Quote:

I'm sure many don't think I belong here and even though my child is long past the stage of all the baby ( or toddler or preschool) B's I still want to learn more about parenting, discipline, and especially more natural ways of health, cooking and nutrition.

From that post, it sounds to me like you "belong" here :)

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#183 of 218 Old 06-22-2011, 05:37 PM

KitKnitty,

I hear you!  Thank god my baby is so enthralled with leaves!  Although, Dr. B is too expensive for house cleaning.  I just use vinegar.

I love the spirit of this thread, just I, as a Southernerit, loved the Jeff Foxworthy jokes.

So here are mine: 

I know I'm crunchy when:

* I have become a pro and think nothing of checking out groceries while holding my baby to my boob with one hand (b/c I forgot my @#$ wrap again) while handing over my debit card and smiling (usually) with the other.

*I had a panic attack about moving to a different city b/c the stores there might not carry washing soda, until I realized I could buy it off amazon if they don't. 

*I'm not sure there's anything vinegar can't fix or clean.  Have they tried injecting cancer cells with vinegar yet? 

*The box cover of the baby DVD grandma got us is getting more play than the actual DVD.

*Rather than new shoes, my new guilty pleasure is baby carriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKnitty View Post

I've been reading this thread and realizing that some of my crunchiness is just a result of being very poor! 

We don't have battery operated toys, because they break too easily and we don't want to keep buying batteries.

Our cleaning supplies consist of baking soda, vinegar, and Dr. Bronner's soap, because they're cheap and effective.

We spend a lot of time in the forest, because it's cheap entertainment.

We co-sleep with our family, because we live in a tiny home.

We don't watch tv, because cable television is too expensive and our town doesn't have a station that carries PBS.

And we eat a whole food/non-processed foods diet, because it's cheaper than eating out or buying packaged foods.

So I might be crunchy . . . OR I might be a bit of a hillbilly!

Either way, I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone else and hope no one takes it that way! 

#184 of 218 Old 06-22-2011, 06:46 PM

LOL I was totally thinking Dr. Bs was way too rich for my blood!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#185 of 218 Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 PM

when your 2 year old nurses her babies even though she has doll bottles

when you have to tell your toddler to stop trying to breastfeed the baby

when your toddler breastfeeds her rubber ducks (can you tell she's boob crazy?)

when you're disappointed that none of your flat diapers are clean

when your toddler tries to put toilet paper in the diaper pail because she's used to family cloth

Turquesa likes this.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#186 of 218 Old 06-23-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post

I can't believe I forgot my weirdest crunchy thing of all.  I totally ate my placenta.  I have a long history of depression/mental health issues and if there is a snowball's chance in hell it might help me be a happier, more stable parent... I'll do it! :D

I loved eating my placentas...I just ate it raw right after my births. Did you encapsulate? I ate half and kept half of them to plant in a special tree placenta planting ceremony so my kids would have a tree in our woods that was nurtured and made strong by their "womb mother". Do you know, people think that is SOOOOOOO weird!! Most people I know, who know that about me, are like, HORRIFIED that I ate raw placenta!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#187 of 218 Old 06-23-2011, 06:36 AM

if you're LO has ever run around the house naked/wrapped in a hand towel because all her dipes are in the wash

sahmof2girls likes this.

goorganic.jpg babywearingfemalesling.GIFbreastfeedingbfinfant.gifco-sleeping familybed1.gif cloth-diaperingcd.gif Mama.

participate - please help make this world a better place. whale.gif

#188 of 218 Old 06-23-2011, 07:02 AM

---- if your almost 4-yr old son is aghast when you throw his first non-cloth (disposable) diaper in the trash.  "Mama, why did you throw that in the trash?!"  I didn't understand his question at first, but after I realized why he was asking, I felt even more guilty about buying our first disposable pack of overnight diapers.

---- if you make Easter egg dye out of native plant/tree berries through much trial and error (heavy on the error side)

---- if you pop homeopathic pills in your childrens' mouths instead of taking them to the doctor

h20homebirth.gif winner.jpgfamilybed1.gifintactlact.gifecbaby2.gifcd.gifslinggirl.gifpeace.gifgoorganic.jpgtreehugger.gif

#189 of 218 Old 06-23-2011, 07:04 AM

-If your LO chooses hummus or fruit over colorful candy.
-If he gets hand-me-down Thomas pj's and does not know the train has a name.
-If he thinks he needs to spray & wipe any new toy with vinegar (because he is so used to thrift store buys...)
-If you hand him a Kleenex or a paper napkin & he makes a face and says, "No, I want a REAL [cloth] one!"
-If going on vacation means bringing a giant extra suitcase... filled with cloth dipes and wipes...
-If you've had to ask your DH to get the pliers to get dental floss out of your teeth bag.gif because you tried to save floss by using the world's shortest piece...
-If you've spent time calculating how many times you might need the bathroom before company arrives so you can flush as little as possible but still have a 'fresh' toilet when they get there...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#190 of 218 Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Yes, feel your sentiment.  Working moms can be crunchy, public schooled kids can be crunchy.  State of mind and being, and balance...

Turquesa likes this.
#191 of 218 Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

LOL I was totally thinking Dr. Bs was way too rich for my blood!

Believe me, we use it sparingly!  We add a tiny, tiny amount of it to our laundry and we add a tiny, tiny amount to clean our counters, if we're having company, and we use it (1:1) to wash our hands.  We buy the big $12 bottles and 1 bottle lasts us, a family of 4, for about 6 months! 

So, I guess it's our one luxury, since it IS our most expensive "product." 

You might be a crunchy parent, if you consider Dr. Bronner's to be a luxury?  ;)

sosurreal09 likes this.
#192 of 218 Old 06-23-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKnitty View Post

we use it (1:1) to wash our hands. 

i use it 1:10 for hand washing (10 h2o) in a reused handsoap foaming pump bottle.... that i've refilled more than 10 times. 

actually, this makes a nice stiff foam, with a nice scent, and the DBs lasts forever....

sosurreal09 likes this.
#193 of 218 Old 06-24-2011, 10:36 AM

Ah, It just dawned on me that I could use washable pads, but had not thought about toilet paper, thanks for the tip!

#194 of 218 Old 06-24-2011, 05:26 PM

You might be crunchy if your boobs have seen more mileage than an SUV...

You might be crunchy if your child asks you if the drink you're giving him is healthy or not...

You might be crunchy if you just had to respond to this thread winky.gif

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#195 of 218 Old 06-24-2011, 07:17 PM

If you pulled up to a mcdonalds out of a desperation and your 4 year old started screaming from the backseat..."No, not mcdonalds. That's disgusting. Mom, there's chemicals. No, mom. I'm not eating it. No, no, no!" I didn't even realize we had gone that crunchy. Haha.

And for the record, I do not judge other people for the decisions that feel best for their families. I feel that judgment of other people merely shows your insecurities and portrays them on other people. Lets all learn to get along and enjoy each other's differences not just the things we have in common. After all, at one point in time, we ALL learned something from the person next to us that we didn't know or have an interest in before!

Almost crunchy momma to Adisyn (6), Gage (4) and Dellan (1)
#196 of 218 Old 06-24-2011, 07:39 PM

Ignoring all the brouhaha and keeping with the original spirit of the thread:

...you're known around the gym as that crunchy parent and get questions about amber teething necklaces and breastfeeding from strangers.

...you have 6 carriers for 1 baby (when you swore you'd never be THAT mom)

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#197 of 218 Old 06-24-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMandi View Post

If you pulled up to a mcdonalds out of a desperation and your 4 year old started screaming from the backseat..."No, not mcdonalds. That's disgusting. Mom, there's chemicals. No, mom. I'm not eating it. No, no, no!" I didn't even realize we had gone that crunchy. Haha.

ROTFLMAO.gif

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#198 of 218 Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post

Ignoring all the brouhaha and keeping with the original spirit of the thread:

...you're known around the gym as that crunchy parent and get questions about amber teething necklaces and breastfeeding from strangers.

...you have 6 carriers for 1 baby (when you swore you'd never be THAT mom)

ROTFLMAO.gif

Almost crunchy momma to Adisyn (6), Gage (4) and Dellan (1)
#199 of 218 Old 06-24-2011, 09:27 PM

-When you 15 month daughter gets her first baby doll from her grandma and insists that YOU nurse it, and she wants to share as well.

-When that same daughter insists that the same doll nurses on Daddy.

-When you've had That Day and you just don't care what your kid eats anymore, but your 3 yo reminds you that he "doesn't drink sugar" (soda).

-When your 3 yo chooses nursing over ice cream, when you really really reallyreallyreally wanted him to choose the ice cream.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#200 of 218 Old 06-25-2011, 10:51 AM

How about this. My nephew who grew up very "mainstream" conventionally. (CIO, spanking, etc) is 4 y/o and he stayed over a couple nights. His mom packed all this junk food in his bag b/c she knows we don't have junk.

I swear the minute he stepped in the house he was instantly crunchy lol The whole time he was over he only wanted to drink water (not the gatorade or soda his mom packed), only ate fruits for snacks, and actually ate every meal I cooked him. When I offered him the doritos his mom packed he declined and said he would rather have an apple.

He begged me to nurse him like his cousin (but I told him no) and he says "Can't I just have one! (boob)" lol

He was being really fresh and hit my DD (20 m/o) (this kid has real discipline issues...wonder why...) and when I went over there to talk to him about it he ducked (like I was going to spank him) and I said "we have two rules here, 1. no one hits anyone 2. we share everything. He was surprised I did not punish him but rather we talked about it and he was upset he had hurt her.

He ended up asking me if he could just live here and I could be his mommy (I of course told him no and that he has a mommy who loves him very much etc) then he asked if we could pretend his was my baby when he comes over.

I think it is funny b/c MIL always says how my DD is suffering not eating junk food and not CIO etc etc well look at a kid who had "all of that" and when he was over here he was happy and didn't want any of it. He really liked how we live. To me that goes to show what a great job we are doing and I am glad that he has somewhere he can come and get away from all of the drama (and sugar) at his house.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#201 of 218 Old 06-25-2011, 12:50 PM

I totally get you. I'm right there with you. Why do women judge each other so much? We should be supporting each other. smile.gif

#202 of 218 Old 06-25-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post

-When your 3 yo chooses nursing over ice cream, when you really really reallyreallyreally wanted him to choose the ice cream.

biglaugh.gifomg, I totally get you there!

GreenGranolaMama likes this.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#203 of 218 Old 06-25-2011, 04:00 PM

When you are trying to buy some random thing (sunscreen, food, homeopathics, etc.) and you anguish over whether you should buy the 100% vegan option which has 1 or 2 chemical ingredients or the 100% natural item which has 1 or 2 animal ingredients...
DevaMajka likes this.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#204 of 218 Old 06-25-2011, 07:51 PM

- when you have a coffee grinder and dehydrator in your kitchen marked in Sharpie - PLACENTA ONLY (for encapsulating your doula client's placentas.

- when your 2y/o DD comes out of a friend's bathroom asking "where are the wipes?" and thinks that toilet paper is just for playing with.

- when you have a sewing circle and have to explain that the red flannel pieces you're sewing together is a mama pad, and then you end up in a discussion about your diva cup, which you have to show to everyone there...

- when you've been referred to on a blog as "my hippie/crunchy friend who lives in a remodeled farmhouse who trades/barters food and crafts for EVERYTHING!"

- when your own mother says you're being paranoid about BPA, and then three years later realizes that BPA is really bad for you...

- when your holidays are filled with homemade gifts and goodies, either made or bartered for from friends.

- your DD throws a fit when you don't get the fruit and veggies she wants, but doesn't utter a peep when you go through the candy and chip aisle.

- you send the kids out to pick dandelions - to make dandelion jelly. And you don't frak out when your LO eats a bunch of white clover flowers. In fact, you encourage it.

- You are on a first name basis and know the life history of at least three of the farmers at the local farmer's market.

- the usual MDC stuff - CD, EBF, co sleeping, no vaxing, no circing, etc...

sahmof2girls likes this.

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#205 of 218 Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 AM

reading this through has made me realize that even if another mother isn't doing excactly what i am doing... it's OK.    thanks guys : )

HannahW likes this.

hippie.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gifbabyf.giflactivist.gifsigncirc1.gifdelayedvax.gif

#206 of 218 Old 06-26-2011, 11:37 AM

I always go with the vegan option, but I've been to multiple stores (not too Eco-friendly) to find vegan AND petroleum free lip balm!
#207 of 218 Old 06-26-2011, 10:33 PM

Oh, can you share a recipe for dandelion jam?

#208 of 218 Old 06-27-2011, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

you might be a crunchy mom if:

-even though people say "get off your high horse" you laugh, because you know they will figure it out someday. 

- your 4 yo DS thinks its weird to see a mommy carrying a car seat around.

-you dread Christmas because again, you will have to return a hand full of toys because some family members don't get why kids shouldn't play with plastic battery operated toys. and you feel like you shouldn't have to explain your life to people, or feel guilty about your lifestyle! (IE: guilty about returning 'junk toys')

-you take glass jars home with you from houses that don't recycle when they say "just put it in the trash"

and to add: i joined mothering because it was crunchy! if you don't like what is being discussed about natural living, then get off the natural living web page. 

DS-8/06 peace.gif
DD-5/08 innocent.gif
DD-4/12 loveeyes.gif
Due: July2014 shy.gif
semi crunchy, but getting crispier!

*** heartbeat.gif 5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40
#209 of 218 Old 06-27-2011, 05:34 PM

wow! I was just wondering if I might be a crunchy parent!  I've never heard of this before joinin mdc! 

#210 of 218 Old 06-27-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I didnt realize that keeping your nut yeast in a shaker or composting your poop was anyone trying to be "sparkly." SO WHAT if people want to make a list about how crunchy they are/arent? If it makes people feel bad, Im sorry. It makes me feel bad when people complain about still having (only) 5 lbs to lose, but I dont say anything. Lots of threads make people feel bad, and NOT everyone is meant to be included in every single thread. Tell me that none of you complaining cant think of anything that you do in your lives that sets you aside from most people you run in to? There are a million boards all over the internet talking about how they did everything exactly like "What to Expect in the First Year" told them to, but we cant say that we compost poop without being treated like we are trying to host an awards show?

ETA: Exactly when and where is it okay to be proud of the way you are parenting? Not around my family. Not around a lot of my friends. Not around anyone at the grocery store where I live. So, who exactly are some of us supposed to have camaraderie with about the choices we are making? I thought a natural parenting site was a perfect place....

It's never okay to proud of the way you parent, right?  I'm a believer in just being who you are as a parent, which changes and grows with each baby born!  I just had my 3rd and I've become slightly more "crunchy" with each one.  I'll be judged for my parenting and any growing I may do as a person and mother by someone, I'm sure!  btw, I have an Adeline!  Great name. =)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page