You might be a 'crunchy' parent if... - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

#211 of 218 Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Going through and reading some of the things that would class you are "crunchy" has made me realize I may not be as crunchy as I thought I was. :p Well I mean I am the usually, CD, baby wearing, attachement parenting, baby lead weaning etc things, but nothing too "extreme".

HannahW likes this.
#212 of 218 Old 06-27-2011, 09:02 PM

This is one thing that boggles my mind. We recycle but here they don't take glass of any kinds. And we don't have the room to hold on to many containers so yeah we always say put it in the trash. Even more common containers are on the do not list. And yet we were given this huge bin(bigger then our trash bin) for recyclables. However I don't have the time to find and drive to a center that would take them so while I feel some guilt I just have to let it go. But I still find it weird that they don't take glass. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivica2 View Post

you might be a crunchy mom if:

-even though people say "get off your high horse" you laugh, because you know they will figure it out someday. 

- your 4 yo DS thinks its weird to see a mommy carrying a car seat around.

-you dread Christmas because again, you will have to return a hand full of toys because some family members don't get why kids shouldn't play with plastic battery operated toys. and you feel like you shouldn't have to explain your life to people, or feel guilty about your lifestyle! (IE: guilty about returning 'junk toys')

-you take glass jars home with you from houses that don't recycle when they say "just put it in the trash"

and to add: i joined mothering because it was crunchy! if you don't like what is being discussed about natural living, then get off the natural living web page. 

#213 of 218 Old 07-01-2011, 04:50 PM

I haven't seen any posts that are against crunchy parenting, what are you talking about?

#214 of 218 Old 07-04-2011, 11:38 PM

I'm a NMY, but I'll play!

-When your period comes a week early, you're 500 miles away from home (therefore your mama cloth) and you have to use a tampon...you cringe and feel like crying.

-I became a staunch homebirth advocate at age 17, for some background. I was 18, and dating my first serious boyfriend. I was at his house for Thanksgiving and his mom was telling some story about getting in the car in labor and how awful it was. Totally calm, I say "That's why I'm SO GLAD I'll be birthing my babies at home when the day comes." Apparently that's not something mainstream people expect to hear, hehe.

-When you realize you ate all the brown rice in the fridge and your soup is ready now, so you grab some Uncle Ben's ready rice, read the ingredients list and postpone dinner for 30 minutes while you make real rice.

-When you can pronounce quinoa, tempeh and seitan

-I'm a die-hard vegetarian who obnoxiously checks all labels

-I hide the one roll of emergency paper towels so that I don't use them out of laziness

-When the entire house is dark except one lamp in the one corner of the one room you're in

-When you see someone throw away a recycleable, and your first course of action is to run over and grab it out to recycle before it gets too gross

-When you haven't taken any medication other than herbal PMS pills since the strep incident of 2009

-When your fellow crunchy friends start dating a new guy and calls you at 2 am to gleefully inform you that he's intact

-When you hear that someone weaned before age two, and your first thought is "wow that's young!" This is really poignant for me because I was not raised around breastfeeding and always said I wouldn't nurse. Then I thought I'd pump for awhile. Then I though ABSOLUTELY NO MORE THAN A YEAR! Now I hear of 3/4/5 year olds nursing, and not only does it not gross me out, I hope to someday make it that long!

-

Turquesa likes this.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#215 of 218 Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaBeanie

-When you hear that someone weaned before age two, and your first thought is "wow that's young!" This is really poignant for me because I was not raised around breastfeeding and always said I wouldn't nurse. Then I thought I'd pump for awhile. Then I though ABSOLUTELY NO MORE THAN A YEAR! Now I hear of 3/4/5 year olds nursing, and not only does it not gross me out, I hope to someday make it that long!

I'm the same way now!  I was always nurse-for-a-year-no-longer sort until I moved to the Portland area.  Now when I hear of an under-two being weaned all I can think is, "Poor baby!"

Best of luck in nursing your future hippie babies!

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#216 of 218 Old 07-05-2011, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post

I'm the same way now!  I was always nurse-for-a-year-no-longer sort until I moved to the Portland area.  Now when I hear of an under-two being weaned all I can think is, "Poor baby!"

Best of luck in nursing your future hippie babies!

Yo.  I nursed my oldest to 3.  I will wean my younger daughter long before she is 2 because I will cease to be a nice mother if I continue to do something that has become horrible for me.  I don't think it will make her a poor baby.  Instead she will be a lucky baby who has a mother who thinks that being nice is more important than marking every check box on a crunchy list.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#217 of 218 Old 07-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post

Yo.  I nursed my oldest to 3.  I will wean my younger daughter long before she is 2 because I will cease to be a nice mother if I continue to do something that has become horrible for me.  I don't think it will make her a poor baby.  Instead she will be a lucky baby who has a mother who thinks that being nice is more important than marking every check box on a crunchy list.

Of course there are extenuating circumstances and a happy mother makes for a happy child.  Sorry for the unintended offense.

ETA:  HOWEVER, I am not nursing past two just so I can check every box on some mythical crunchy list.  I nurse past two because that's what's best for my kids.  You're weaning before two because that's what's best for your kids.  Different families, different moms, different parenting.  And that's okay.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#218 of 218 Old 12-19-2011, 09:58 AM

Not as crunchy as some but,

Your milk still comes in a glass bottle, as in cow not human hehehe

You eat the WHOLE dandelion

People hate that your house is so dark

Your eggs are still warm when you crack them open

an old sheet looks like the perfect carrier

Your dc are disgusted when they see trash on the ground ( except for ds who throws his on the ground duh.gif)

The meat in your freezer has been harvested and cut up by your own hands

Not so crunchy

TP....Although I am leaning towards fc.....should I just implement it and see how it goes???? 

tv ( I LOVE the Mentalist and American Horror story)

I drive way more than I should

M,partner to D,mama to Sofia (6/01), Madeline(11/04), and Quin(2/08)  Hoping for a tubal reversal baby SOON after the proceduremakebabe.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page