You might be a 'crunchy' parent if... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

Old 06-12-2011, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

the "sprinkle cheese" (parmesan) can in your house is actually filled with nutritional yeast.

You have children yet have never owned a crib or had a "nursery"

your kids don't know about babies being born in hospitals, they play "midwife"

You have ever had to pause and figure out what to say when your young son asks if he can be a midwife when he grows up...

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

your LO is surprised to see someone's else's baby eat from a jar

:)

Old 06-12-2011, 11:57 PM

all your friends think it's perfectly fine that your LO places her hand on their boob when they hold her

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 AM

I have seen totally bottle-fed babies grab boobs, I think it's the comfy factor lol.

if...your little ones don't get why their cousins/friends can't come over to play until after 3 during the week or only weekends.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:03 PM

You keep score of all the things you do that make you a "better" parent than your "mainstream" neighbors and family.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:12 PM

Darn I guess me and my public schooled kids won't be contributing this to thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerose View Post

I have seen totally bottle-fed babies grab boobs, I think it's the comfy factor lol.

if...your little ones don't get why their cousins/friends can't come over to play until after 3 during the week or only weekends.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:15 PM

That is a great idea--about the sprinkle cheese/nutritional yeast.  Will do.

And, in reply:

If you have permanent (well, not really) teeth marks on your boobs (from a child, I should say).

You shudder when you hear Elmo's laugh (though, I have to say, I support what Sesame Street puts on...very good values, I think).

If you kind of like eating the prune puree you won't feed your child that you got free from WIC.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

Old 06-13-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoMom View Post

You keep score of all the things you do that make you a "better" parent than your "mainstream" neighbors and family.

Oh, snap!

Seriously.  Guess what?  Other mothers on "mainstream" websites think they are doing a better job than a lot of the posters here.  And sometimes - gasp - they talk about you too!

Oh but I do want to add that to me, as long as kids are fed, well-taken care of, loved and happy, it's all good.  Loved kids make great adults whether or not they were breastfed until they got their driver's license. 

Old 06-13-2011, 04:22 PM

Every parent I know hates Elmo, even if they let their kid watch 24/7 TV.  Elmo is annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

That is a great idea--about the sprinkle cheese/nutritional yeast.  Will do.

And, in reply:

If you have permanent (well, not really) teeth marks on your boobs (from a child, I should say).

You shudder when you hear Elmo's laugh (though, I have to say, I support what Sesame Street puts on...very good values, I think).

If you kind of like eating the prune puree you won't feel your child that you got free from WIC.

Mama of three.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:32 PM

OK, for reals, ladies?  Is all this horn-tooting, back-patting, and nose-angling really neccessary? 

Heads up.  If your kids are happy, healthy, and thriving, your an awsome parent and they think your the bomb.  Just sayin. 

I get that Mdc is crunchy.  Ive been around long enough to know that.  HOWEVER, not all of us are tandum nursing 3 children until the oldest is 8, grassfed, organic self made garden, living off grid, un circed, stay at home moms.  But we still love our kids and enjoy this forum.  Sheepish.gif

Old 06-13-2011, 04:33 PM

I thought crunchy was mainstream now?

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:37 PM

ROTFLMAO.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Charlie's~Angel~ View Post

OK, for reals, ladies?  Is all this horn-tooting, back-patting, and nose-angling really neccessary? 

Heads up.  If your kids are happy, healthy, and thriving, your an awsome parent and they think your the bomb.  Just sayin. 

I get that Mdc is crunchy.  Ive been around long enough to know that.  HOWEVER, not all of us are tandum nursing 3 children until the oldest is 8, grassfed, organic self made garden, living off grid, un circed, stay at home moms.  But we still love our kids and enjoy this forum.  Sheepish.gif

dude you just aren't doing crunchy well enough...try harder!

FORCE your kids to nurse again...who cares if no milk is coming in!upsidedown.gif

This thread should be called..."You might think you are better than any other parent in the whole history of parenting if..."

Old 06-13-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:

ITA!  What on earth is this thread for?   

FWIW.. I've watched kids grow up in every possible lifestyle, with breast milk, or formula, eating mcdonalds or organic food, and they all turn out pretty much the same.  No one has an advantage over the other.   The kids who come from happy supportive loving homes where mom and dad still love each other more than anything, are the most productive happy well adjusted adults now.  The ones from messed up homes are messed up.  It doesn't matter how long they shared a bed with Mom and dad.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM

Yeah by some of these comments here I would be considered very mainstream. Which I guess I am. We breastfed but now on formula,  co sleep for a short time. But don't cloth diaper. I let DD watch TV, we dont' eat organic foods but a few items and even those are rare. . I fed DD from a jar. Gave birth at the hospital with an epidural. will be circing if we have a boy and so on. But I don't find that I fit in either category mainstream or AP. I parent on how I feel is right or natural to me and DH.  The only thing that matters to me is that my daughter and soon to be born baby know that they are loved and that DH and I are their safe place. I come here because there is a lot of information here that has been helpful even if I haven't asked for myself. I mean I never would have known the safety of RF till 2 at the earliest. And things like that. 

Old 06-13-2011, 04:44 PM

I just want to add that its because of 'tudes like THIS that I feel I really dont fit in anywhere.  Friggin sucks!  Feels like highschool. 

Old 06-13-2011, 04:45 PM

...if you feel the need to congratulate yourself on what a great parent you are, all the while casting judgement and disdain on parents who do things differently than you.

...if you refuse to acknowledge that while your way may be the best for YOUR family, it is not the be all and end all for every family out there, and maybe, just maybe, other people are doing what is right for their own family and they feel just as secure in their decisions as you do.

Seriously, I have done the best I can to do what is best for my son, and I am confident in my own decisions, but I am pretty sure if I shared them here I'd be pretty harshly viewed. MDC does have a lot of information that I value, so that is why I continue to read here.  I just wish I thought I could share more about myself without being judged for it.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

Blame Gwenyth Paltrow.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
Old 06-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

I just want to add that its because of 'tudes like THIS that I feel I really dont fit in anywhere.  Friggin sucks!  Feels like highschool. 

I would totally sit with you at the lunch table at schoollove.gif

Old 06-13-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post

Blame Gwenyth Paltrow.

I blame Gwenyth Paltrow for everything.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:13 PM

I understand that this was meant as a lighthearted thread.  Its obvious that some have found it insulting.  I request that you please remember the U/A  when you post to the thread and keep it constructive.

Thanks

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 06-13-2011, 05:22 PM

I thought this thread was funny, not "we are the champions, my friends."  I agree with the PPs that say do what you wanna do as long as you love your children.  I don't think the OP made this out to be a superiority forum.  Just funny. 

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

Old 06-13-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post

Blame Gwenyth Paltrow.

I blame Gwenyth Paltrow for everything.

Geez, doesn't everyone? ROTFLMAO.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post

I would totally sit with you at the lunch table at schoollove.gif

Me too. loveeyes.gif

"We submit to the majority because we have to. But we are not compelled to call our attitude of subjection a posture of respect."
Ambrose Bierce 
Old 06-13-2011, 05:27 PM

I saw it as naming things that made us non-mainstream, not pretending we're better than anyone. There's actual reasons things are called mainstream, and some aren't, that has nothing to do with being better than someone else!

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Um, it was supposed to be funny.  I am old I guess LOL I remember when Jeff Foxworthy might have been a redneck....

And I also remember when this was the kind of place somebody could post something like this and people would go with it and it was funny.

If we've all gotten too serious to have a funny thread, then I guess a mod can take it down.  Really.  It wasn't meant to be a superiority thread for us over any other site or for who's the crunchiest.  Just funny.  That's all.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Old 06-13-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post

Um, it was supposed to be funny.  I am old I guess LOL I remember when Jeff Foxworthy might have been a redneck....

And I also remember when this was the kind of place somebody could post something like this and people would go with it and it was funny.

If we've all gotten too serious to have a funny thread, then I guess a mod can take it down.  Really.  It wasn't meant to be a superiority thread for us over any other site or for who's the crunchiest.  Just funny.  That's all.

I totally agree. I think its cute, and I was kind of annoyed to see people's response that just because posters are saying what they do differently they are trying to make themselves out to be superior. Let it rest already......not everything that gets posted on MDC about how some of us are different from the mainstream is meant to make you feel inferior (or anyone feel inferior).

By the way, I totally thought I was the only one who keeps nut yeast in my parm container smile.gif
My parents always ask where the anti bacterial hand gel is when the visit. The Dr. Bronners just doesnt cut it for them. Most of the time I forget about things like lysol, anti bacterial hand gel, store bought baby wipes, paper towels, and other things that my family expects me to have in the house and Im always like, "Uh, we have a bottle of witch hazel and tea tree oil?" Maybe I should go shopping before they come this weekend. I have started making sure to buy paper towels when we have guests, most people just use them all.the.time.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoMom View Post

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought this after reading the op. I'm so tired of failing the AP litmus test.

How you know when you won't be invited to the AP self-congratulatory club:

Had a c-section...check

Gave my baby a bottle before six weeks, risking (gasp!) nipple confusion, because I HAD to return to work after five weeks...check

Bought and used a crib...check

Bought and used a stroller...check

Know what?

I did everything possible to flip my breech baby, including seeing a chiropractor, an acupuncturist, a Chinese-herbalist, and laying upside down on an ironing board for several days.

I worked my A** off to breastfeed for two years, through thrush, mastitis, etc. My baby never had a drop of formula.

I carried my son as much as possible despite a c-section scar that wouldn't heal and severe back pain. I ended up using a stroller half the time.

I put my son to sleep in a crib when he was mobile because I sleep in a loft with an open-railing and I was terrified he would fall out.

I know I sound defensive. I AM defensive.

I unsubscribed to one of my favorite blogs because the author wrote this long post about how she doesn't want her daughter to play with baby bottles or strollers and never EVER wants her daughter to association a bottle with feeding a baby. WTF? I am the breadwinner of my family and had no choice but to pump and bottle-feed. I proudly associate bottles with my ability to continue breastfeeding my child even after going back to work.

I absolutely love and agree with all aspects of AP, but why do there have to be so many unrelenting comparisons? It just makes me sad...

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 PM

blowkiss.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMommaToTwo View Post

Me too. loveeyes.gif

Old 06-13-2011, 05:54 PM

1. There is a bucket in the bathroom next to the toilet for your FC!

2. There are no flashing/singing/battery operated toys in your house

3. There is one bedroom full of mattresses on the floor where you all sleep

4. You compost the babies poop

5. You make all your own all natural cleaning products or steam clean everything

6. Someone offers you DC Cheerios and you come running over with a GMO free alternative

...There is a lot more I could think of but DD is calling me!

BTW everyone relax a bit will you! MDC doesn't need to be a battleground 24/7 you know. Also not circing a child is not "crunchy" in my book...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM

I wanted to re-emphasize this sentiment.  I know I am not the only one who feels this way.  So sad.  Might have to bow out of this entire community for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melijack1 View Post

... I just wish I thought I could share more about myself without being judged for it.

User Tag List