What do you do that cancels our your NFL/AP/CRUNCHY/NON-Mainstream/MDCness? - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphinette View Post

How is it snarky?

Quote:

2.  Don't act like your clueless...

headscratch.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

Why would it matter what anyone else thinks?  If I'm confident in unschooling or unassisted childbirth (okay, not me b/c my kids go to school and were cut out of me), then someone saying either of these are a bad decision shouldn't get under my skin.  Unless if course, their reasonig makes sense on some level and causes me to rethink my position.  In the end, I still may decide that birthing at home alone is best *for me* -- all debate aside.  

No one is threatening those who use family cloth by saying it seems gross and they prefer flushable toilet paper.  To each their own, people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not read the whole thread. But I totally agree with this. If we are confident in the choices we make for our family's it should not matter other peoples options. I think it is the people who are not 100% sure in the choices they have made. I don't pretend to be someone I am not on here and actually like this thread. I read so many of the lists people put up thinking to myself yep thats me! lol 

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#273 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Don't forget a lot of people are hardcore crunchy out of necessity! We hardcore FC b/c well frankly we can't waste the $ on TP and we always use CD for the same reason (even on sleepovers).

Also if my DD would actually sit in a stroller I would use one.

I agree! We recycle because we have to pay 2$ per bag of garbage and I am cheap. FC for the same reason, cloth diapers, same reason, diva cup, same reason. Anything I can not have to waste precious limited money on is great. I don't care "how crunchy" I am. 

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#274 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMommaToTwo View Post

How is it not snarky? Dude, if you're going to snark on someone and belittle their parenting experiences, don't hide behind an air of "well, I didn't mean it that way". Just own it.

I wasn't being snarky, I'm pretty sure I was very clear in my feelings about that comment, no veiled contempt here ladies.

#275 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:

I wasn't being snarky, I'm pretty sure I was very clear in my feelings about that comment, no veiled contempt here ladies.

Well, if you're not even bothering to veil it, then it certainly wouldn't have passed the old UA. And I'm cool with that, really - it's good to know where people stand. But if you're arguing for more moderation and more civility, it seems pretty hypocritical to to be openly contemptuous to a poster who merely asked for clarification of something you said. (And, ftr snarky is not equal to veiled. One can be openly snarky, like you were.)
#276 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 AM

coolshine.gif

#277 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 07:04 AM
Banned

It's almost like the people horribly offended by this thread have no power to turn away from it and stop posting...oh wait they do, they just love the drama as much as the next personeyesroll.gif

#278 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post

It's almost like the people horribly offended by this thread have no power to turn away from it and stop posting...oh wait they do, they just love the drama as much as the next personeyesroll.gif

I am not offended by this thread, but.....

Are we supposed to turn away from threads that offend us?  How is that the open discussion many posters want?

You know this is your 18th post on this thread?  I think you love drama, too.

Kathy

#279 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Are we supposed to turn away from threads that offend us?  How is that the open discussion many posters want?

Kathy

Clearly I do, but I'm not bemoaning how awful this thread is. I find it interesting and entertaining. 

Uh yeah if something offends you so badly isn't the general rule to turn away from it. There can be open conversation with those who disagree but many posters who are offended have said that this thread should be closed...How about just not look at it?! Then it won't even exist to you, but like I said we all love drama, I'm not denying I like it too.

#280 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 07:51 AM

You go onto threads you know do not appeal to you and post pot-stirring comments  (example - "list the ways you are crunchy" thread).  I simply do not understand why you then expect posters to stay away from this one if it doesn't appeal to them.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander and all that.

#281 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 AM

coolshine.gif

#282 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 08:07 AM

coolshine.gif

#283 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

I have two things to say on this.

1. This whole 'say whatever in the world floats through your brain with zero consequences from moderation' is very new and not appreciated by all the members.  This sort of thread would not have existed before the UA change.

2.  Don't act like your clueless as to the direction that this thread has taken.

Dauphinette, for somebody who is pushing to bring back the old stricter moderation you sure are injecting yourself a lot in this thread (That you seem to think should be deleted). I think this thread is GREAT and I think it has been mostly civil. Some snark, yes, but we're all adults and honestly if we can't handle a little discord than why bother interacting with other people at all? Trust me, with the old rules your point 2 would have made you the new owner of a shiny new warning. Since you think it was oh-so-innocent you would've been blinking at your screen ------> headscratch.gif Maybe you should think about what you're fighting so hard for before you fight for it? Unless you're just here to fight for the sake of fighting...in that case, we all have our days. 

I don't think all of the mods are "sitting on their hands" wishing they could delete this. Many of them are relieved to have this new lighter load. 

Please explain what about this thread makes it so bad? Why should it be deleted? 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#284 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post

nm. i need to go to the grocery store and don't have time to form a coherent thought. redface.gif

I thought it was pretty coherent.

#285 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:

snark·y/ˈsnärkē/

Adjective: (of a person, words, or a mood) Critical; cutting; testy.  

It has nothing to do with being veiled. You were being snarky. Admit it, move on. Welcome to the dark side. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

Quote:

Well, if you're not even bothering to veil it, then it certainly wouldn't have passed the old UA. And I'm cool with that, really - it's good to know where people stand. But if you're arguing for more moderation and more civility, it seems pretty hypocritical to to be openly contemptuous to a poster who merely asked for clarification of something you said. (And, ftr snarky is not equal to veiled. One can be openly snarky, like you were.)

clap.gif

Quote:

Clearly I do, but I'm not bemoaning how awful this thread is. I find it interesting and entertaining. 

Uh yeah if something offends you so badly isn't the general rule to turn away from it. There can be open conversation with those who disagree but many posters who are offended have said that this thread should be closed...How about just not look at it?! Then it won't even exist to you, but like I said we all love drama, I'm not denying I like it too.

bow.gif Exactly! Those that are so offended that they think this thread shouldn't exist should just not click on it. Pretend it doesn't exist. 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#286 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Kathy

spitdrink.gif  One point for Kathy Muggle!

If we're going to talk about moderation here, I would like to put my vote in for bringing back the rule for not questioning moderator actions.  That was my favorite one;)

And for my non-AP stuff....

Two of my favorite things are cheap white birthday cake and Dr. Pepper (not usually together).  Which pretty much means that avoiding flouride is out of the question. There are some other things as well, but they're mostly normal stuff, not necessarily mention-worthy.  Now that some of my kids are getting older, I really don't think about AP ideals anymore.  My kids play computer games (not AP ones) and I count that as education (very unschooly of me).  See, how that cancels out?  

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#287 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:

You go onto threads you know do not appeal to you and post pot-stirring comments  (example - "list the ways you are crunchy" thread).  I simply do not understand why you then expect posters to stay away from this one if it doesn't appeal to them.

This. Exactly. And Im not saying it because I feel oh-so-hurt-and-betrayed, but Ive noticed in the past few weeks that there are A LOT of ladies posting pot stirring comments in threads that they have no interest in or nothing to add whatsoever. What happened to all the helpful, useful, positive advice some of you used to give? Now it just seems like some people are posting JUST to argue and bash people for being too crunchy.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#288 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post

spitdrink.gif  One point for Kathy Muggle!

If we're going to talk about moderation here, I would like to put my vote in for bringing back the rule for not questioning moderator actions.  That was my favorite one;)

And for my non-AP stuff....

Two of my favorite things are cheap white birthday cake and Dr. Pepper (not usually together).  Which pretty much means that avoiding flouride is out of the question. There are some other things as well, but they're mostly normal stuff, not necessarily mention-worthy.  Now that some of my kids are getting older, I really don't think about AP ideals anymore.  My kids play computer games (not AP ones) and I count that as education (very unschooly of me).  See, how that cancels out?  

I didn't know there were points?

I don't think people who are so offended by this thread need to go away and be quiet but if you are pushed to the brink of your comfort zone by this thread and think it should be closed maybe do yourself a favor and just not click on it instead of demanding it not exist was my point.

Maybe what you are noticing AM is an increase in the disillusionment of this place. But a comment like that will surely be met with "why are you here then?!"....It's all just a big circle and we are having the same arguments over and over again.

I can't believe I am the only one willing to cop to enjoying a little drama. Like all of you other posters are so much better because you are all above the drama, give me a breakeyesroll.gif

Jaysus, Dauphinette loves the drama so much she has taken it upon herself to PM me over and over again calling me a troll because I am not interested in pretending like I agree with and want to sing kumbaya with everyone here anymore.  Face it we ALL love the drama, hence we are are participating in this awesome thread, and the thread about twws. Apparently posters of my nature are a huge threat to the specialness that is MDC.

#289 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Quote:

This. Exactly. And Im not saying it because I feel oh-so-hurt-and-betrayed, but Ive noticed in the past few weeks that there are A LOT of ladies posting pot stirring comments in threads that they have no interest in or nothing to add whatsoever. What happened to all the helpful, useful, positive advice some of you used to give? Now it just seems like some people are posting JUST to argue and bash people for being too crunchy.

I really feel this is an exaggeration. I actually haven't seen anybody bash anybody for being too crunchy. It seems like you can say what you want and it's not arguing but if anybody responds they're just trying to pick a fight. 

#290 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Quote:

Yes.  

I think there is a difference between snark and questioning/disagreeing.

I think disagreeing just to stir the pot is not a good idea.   I do get that some people really are sarcastic/like the humour of sarcasm - and it might have its place, but IMHO it is better when it is done by someone who is genuinely invested in the discussion.  

I have no issue with disagreeing (except perhaps in support only posts/subforums).  Consider 3 examples from this thread - UC, car seats and circing.  People here have disagreed with other peoples POV on those topics and it is fine to state it as such.

Edited to add:  LDavis, I am on the fence if I like drama or not.  I like a certain amount of it, but there is a line where it gets to be too much.  I certainly seem drawn to it, lol. 

#291 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:

I totally disagree with pretty much everything you have had to say in this thread.  I feel very strongly about the old vibe of the forum.  I would love if the new rules would work to make this place better, I like being able to say in no uncertain terms how I feel about things, who wouldn't?  But I don't want it to be at the cost of the integrity of MDC as a haven for NFL/AP folks to learn and commune.  I will never agree that this new board is better because being attacked for the very APness or NFLness that should be the focus here is not why I come here and I will defend that pretty much to the end as vocally as I can taking full advantage of the liberties this new atmosphere affords me, why not?  I can make a tiny glass of lemondade and sip it while I moan about the rest.

#292 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:

I didn't know there were points?

I don't think people who are so offended by this thread need to go away and be quiet but if you are pushed to the brink of your comfort zone by this thread and think it should be closed maybe do yourself a favor and just not click on it instead of demanding it not exist was my point.

Maybe what you are noticing AM is an increase in the disillusionment of this place. But a comment like that will surely be met with "why are you here then?!"....It's all just a big circle and we are having the same arguments over and over again.

I can't believe I am the only one willing to cop to enjoying a little drama. Like all of you other posters are so much better because you are all above the drama, give me a breakeyesroll.gif

Jaysus, Dauphinette loves the drama so much she has taken it upon herself to PM me over and over again calling me a troll because I am not interested in pretending like I agree with and want to sing kumbaya with everyone here anymore.  Face it we ALL love the drama, hence we are are participating in this awesome thread, and the thread about twws. Apparently posters of my nature are a huge threat to the specialness that is MDC.

Of course there are points...didn't you get some for the rainbow farting dog?? Or was that someone else?  Ok, there aren't really points and it was a failed attempt at lightening the mood.  I probably shouldn't post before my 5th cup of coffee.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#293 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:

Yes.  

I think there is a difference between snark and questioning/disagreeing.

I think disagreeing just to stir the pot is not a good idea.   I do get that some people really are sarcastic/like the humour of sarcasm - and it might have its place, but IMHO it is better when it is done by someone who is genuinely invested in the discussion.  

I have no issue with disagreeing (except perhaps in support only posts/subforums).  Consider 3 examples from this thread - UC, car seats and circing.  People here have disagreed with other peoples POV on those topics and it is fine to state it as such.

Edited to add:  LDavis, I am on the fence if I like drama or not.  I like a certain amount of it, but there is a line where it gets to be too much.  I certainly seem drawn to it, lol. 

we're women we all love the drama to a certain extent, I think it must be geneticROTFLMAO.gif

#294 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post

I really feel this is an exaggeration. I actually haven't seen anybody bash anybody for being too crunchy. It seems like you can say what you want and it's not arguing but if anybody responds they're just trying to pick a fight. 

Have you checked out the "ways you are crunchy?" thread on this subforum?  I thought it was bashing (shrug).

Kathy

#295 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 09:14 AM

You're clueless about me, my motives and my experiences.  I have been on this board for several years.  I had to change my SN awhile back because my email was hacked, but I have been here for a long time and I have been warned on things in  the past.  I am no angel, quite contrary actually.  And I can handle snark as well.  None of that is my problem.  I don't come to MDC for SNARK.  I come here for support on AP/NFL living.  For inspiration.  I don't want this forum to turn into what other forums are fine being.  I will gladly be warned, I will gladly go back to biting my tonue for the stricter moderation if it keeps this place sacred which is how I like it.  A sacred space for our best intentions and highest aspirations.  MDC should = AP/NFL strictly period IMO and I will take advantage of the new UA to be as verbal about this stance as I can be.  Then I will sigh a huge sigh of relief when it goes back....  Does that clear up my perspective a little?

Quote:

Dauphinette, for somebody who is pushing to bring back the old stricter moderation you sure are injecting yourself a lot in this thread (That you seem to think should be deleted). I think this thread is GREAT and I think it has been mostly civil. Some snark, yes, but we're all adults and honestly if we can't handle a little discord than why bother interacting with other people at all? Trust me, with the old rules your point 2 would have made you the new owner of a shiny new warning. Since you think it was oh-so-innocent you would've been blinking at your screen ------> headscratch.gif Maybe you should think about what you're fighting so hard for before you fight for it? Unless you're just here to fight for the sake of fighting...in that case, we all have our days. 

I don't think all of the mods are "sitting on their hands" wishing they could delete this. Many of them are relieved to have this new lighter load. 

Please explain what about this thread makes it so bad? Why should it be deleted? 

#296 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Have you checked out the "ways you are crunchy?" thread on this subforum?  I thought it was bashing (shrug).

Kathy

Sorry, I was referring to this thread only since it was suggested that it should be deleted. 

#297 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:

we're women we all love the drama to a certain extent, I think it must be geneticROTFLMAO.gif

This is completely OT, and relates only to me, but.....

My life is boring.  That I am not engaged in real drama in real life is a good thing, I know.  Maybe this is my outlet?  I do not want real people to get hurt by my words, though.....

I need to get a real life that is not dramatic but interesting so I do not waste time in online debates, lol.  

I am addicted to the friggin internet.  (hey - is that a mainstream or crunchy value? - we do share some common values, lol!)

Back to your regularly scheduelled program.

Kathy

#298 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:

You're clueless about me, my motives and my experiences.  I have been on this board for several years.  I had to change my SN awhile back because my email was hacked, but I have been here for a long time and I have been warned on things in  the past.  I am no angel, quite contrary actually.  And I can handle snark as well.  None of that is my problem.  I don't come to MDC for SNARK.  I come here for support on AP/NFL living.  For inspiration.  I don't want this forum to turn into what other forums are fine being.  I will gladly be warned, I will gladly go back to biting my tonue for the stricter moderation if it keeps this place sacred which is how I like it.  A sacred space for our best intentions and highest aspirations.  MDC should = AP/NFL strictly period IMO and I will take advantage of the new UA to be as verbal about this stance as I can be.  Then I will sigh a huge sigh of relief when it goes back....  Does that clear up my perspective a little?

When it goes back? You do realize that you're in the clear minority, right? (You must since you did post on the poll thread)

#299 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:

This is completely, OT, and relates only to me, but.....

My life is boring.  That I am not engaged in real drama in real life is a good thing, I know.  Maybe this is my outlet?  I do not want real people to get hurt by my words, though.....

I need to get a real life that is not dramatic but interesting so I do not waste time in online debates, lol.  

I am addicted to the friggin internet.  (hey - is that a mainstream or crunchy value? - we do share some common values, lol!)

Back to your regularly scheduelled program.

Kathy

grouphug.gif

#300 of 468 Old 06-16-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I was referring to this thread only since it was suggested that it should be deleted. 

Gotcha.

I have no idea why we should delete this thread.  I think there is some snark, some discussion, some common ground, but nothing delete worthy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page