What do you do that cancels our your NFL/AP/CRUNCHY/NON-Mainstream/MDCness? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 468 Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllya View Post

Is it weird that I'm not really crunchy or AP at all, and I don't feel unwelcome at MDC? (At least I feel un-crunchy and un-AP compared to most people here. I guess I'm actually pretty middle-of-the-road.) I'm actually just here for future reference, so maybe I'd be more sensitive if I already had kids.

It seems there are only a few "rules" for fitting in with the MDC crowd, as far as I can tell: don't physically assault your child, don't use CIO, don't amputate any of your infant's healthy body parts, give human milk if you can, rear-face the car seat, if you ever broke any of those treat it as a mistake, and use the bag.gif smiley if you admit to eating at McDonald's. Homeschooling, letting your kids play with toy guns, letting your kids watch TV, giving birth at home, using a sling, eating sugar, eating meat, eating gluten, leaving your kid in a room alone with your dog, wanting your schoolkid to have homework, giving your kid such and such a vaccine, giving your kid Tylenol, taking Tylenol when in labor, etc all seem to have proponents on each side.

(My least-MDC-ish aspect is that I make video games and plan to do so for a living someday.)

Seems to sum it up pretty well, IMO! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post

I'll agree, and I'll take this one step farther.    The point of many people on this thread is that you don't have to take everything to the Nth degree in order to *be* perfect.  And perhaps, there is in fact no such thing as "perfect."  

And the first boldest statement?  Is what people are trying to get across.  There are people here with checklists in their heads of what AP or NFL *must* include, and if you don't do it all, you should feel bad about it.   Right here, in this thread, people are being told that if you don't live up to some standard of perfection, you should feel bad.  You should, apparently, feel ashamed of cribs, strollers, pacifiers and public school.

Funny, I've not actually seen that instruction in Dr. Sears.   Must have missed that page.

re: the part that I bolded- if this is in this thread, I must have missed it. I use a stroller, tried to use pacifiers, and use public school. I seriously didn't see anyone post anything that made me think that they think that I should feel bad about doing so. I suppose it could be that I am so comfortable with those particular choices that I don't notice criticisms of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post

Seriously, when does this happen?  How can I be here 7 years with 6600 posts and never see this sort of stuff?  And even if it did happen, who cares?  If it doesn't bother you, then why should it matter to you if it does bother someone else?  Does that judgmental person have the power to ban you?  Does their opinion of you make or break your day?

I think we also have to remember that everyone has their own most important cause that maybe brought them here, or they acquired here, and we should not be shocked when other people here don't share the same devotion.  That's why there are separate fora.  This thread actually overlaps with the equally pleasant "Which aspect of NFL/AP is most important?" also known as "If you had to circumcise or formula-feed, which would you choose?"  All these threads always go so well.  eyesroll.gif  So well, that we feel the need to repeat them every few months or so.

Seriously, folks, MDC is not a popularity contest, nor is it Survivor.  No one is voting you off based on your list of crunchy cred.  If you are tender about something you do, then don't share it online. 

truedat.gif

sosurreal09 likes this.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 468 Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezebelle View Post

That may be what you are doing.  What the rest of us are trying to do is feel a sense of companionship and support in our less-than-perfection.  And while I may not be proud of my specific shortcomings, I am proud that despite being imperfect, I keep trying.  I accept that about myself and others, and have no problem discussing it.  So I don't understand why, if you have a problem with the discussion, you keep coming back to it?

B/c I care about this community and this thread (and all its previous incarnations) hurts it. There is resentment, judgment, perceived judgment, alienation, complaining, and us-versus-them-ism. This thread is exactly what is complained about in this thread: a place where people list things they actually don't want to be judged for so that they can complain that they are being judged for these things by a community which is against those things.  And now there will be a new tribe where people can go feel "less than" or aggrieved or whatever, and make some sort of sad kinship out of that.  I'm not going to go start a tribe for people who find these threads distasteful and sad, b/c, you know, that would... um... not enhance my spiritual growth.

Dar likes this.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#183 of 468 Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMommaToTwo View Post

We also use toilet paper.

Um, are there really people that don't use toilet paper?

#184 of 468 Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post

There sure is some weirdness going on here at MDC these days. How I see it- it was this AP "crunchy" board. Some people who don't agree with some of those types of things felt that this board was too rigid. And in general some people feel that some AP parents are too critical. So then people started expressing things that are not AP like for lack of better term. And elt liberated in doing so. But, now there are a whole lot of people on MDC who have different views on things than the original core theory of this forum. And now those things are infiltrating into the whole. But I think it feels unsettling. I understand why some people think people are too rigid. But this has moved beyond that- not this thread but this board, MDC. I mean- since the whole recent upheavel I now regularly see threads with long discussions involving spanking (such as- I spanked but what should I have done- which to me ( I haven't read that thread just the title) is a very uncomfortable thing to read about. Or threads about locking a toddler in her room at night. Or threads by people acting violently to theri children in some way (at least in the way I perceive it) and personally it makes me sad! I miss the moderation that happened to keep those types of things out. I don't have some conclusive point here. I understand how some peop[le want this to be a more inclusive and less exclusive type of forum. I do plenty of non perfect or whatever things, but I ultimately strive to be as gentle and loving of a parent as I can be, that is all. I mess up and  make mistakes and test limits of where my comfort lies. But I am just a little sad about a certain sense of gentleness and respect for certain peaceful values that I used to find on MDC. Now I feel like people are so concerned with letting everyone have a free voice and their own opionions that there is not as strong of a place here to promote and discuss some of the original core values that brought htis forum together. There are so very many new posters- I have noticed- people with 1,2,3, or 4 posts- writing about things that are sometimes uncomfortable to me- as I mentionmed examples above. And- I don't know. There is somehow not such a cohernet welcoming community on here right now as I used to find. I personally would like the old moderating system to return. I felt safer in that type of forum.

me too.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#185 of 468 Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post

There are so very many new posters- I have noticed- people with 1,2,3, or 4 posts- writing about things that are sometimes uncomfortable to me- as I mentionmed examples above. 

These are trolls.  They are trying to get a reaction from "real" members.

Quote:

B/c I care about this community and this thread (and all its previous incarnations) hurts it. There is resentment, judgment, perceived judgment, alienation, complaining, and us-versus-them-ism. This thread is exactly what is complained about in this thread: a place where people list things they actually don't want to be judged for so that they can complain that they are being judged for these things by a community which is against those things.  And now there will be a new tribe where people can go feel "less than" or aggrieved or whatever, and make some sort of sad kinship out of that.  I'm not going to go start a tribe for people who find these threads distasteful and sad, b/c, you know, that would... um... not enhance my spiritual growth.

You seem to think that we are coming together because we are somehow against natural mothering.  This is not the case.  The point of this thread was not to bitch, it was to embrace our faults.  Which does enhance my spiritual growth, thank you very much.  It is your opinion that this type of thing creates resentment, etc--most of the people in this thread feel that there is already a pervasive sense of "us-versus-them-ism," and we are trying to not feel so alone in that.  We are trying to make peace with the criticism we get, and laugh it off.  If that's not okay, then man, I really don't belong on this board.  But I guess if I go anywhere else, and finally do find that sense of camaraderie I thought I was finding at MDC, well that's just a "sad kinship," which apparently isn't worth a damn...

#186 of 468 Old 06-14-2011, 10:00 PM

Funny, but I posted on both this thread and the one it was supposedly "against"...the you maybe crunchy if...and I felt totally fine with both. Truth is most of us are only able to be a certin amount of crunchy before our ideals conflict with our reality. So I feel fine saying both that I AM crunchy for cloth diapering, home birthing, and baby wearing, and that I am NOT crunchy for (yet get a serious guilty pleasure from) eating McD's, using a stroller, and driving an SUV.

And for the record, all humans are crunchy. Ask a tiger, shark or lion if you aren't sure. Our bones make us that way. So no amount of fast food, TV wearing or paper/plastic use is going to undo basic biology. Rejoice MDC moms -- if bitten, you crunch!

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#187 of 468 Old 06-14-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carepear View Post

Um, are there really people that don't use toilet paper?

Yeah, I don't know much about it, but they use like cloths and then wash them. Instead of toilet paper. I'm sure someone here will edumecate us about it.

"We submit to the majority because we have to. But we are not compelled to call our attitude of subjection a posture of respect."
Ambrose Bierce 
#188 of 468 Old 06-14-2011, 10:38 PM

I use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers obsessively.  They're the one chemical product I clean with and I'd leave DH for Mr. Clean if he were real.

I love chili cheeseburgers and Oscar Meyer hot dogs.

Sugar is amazing.  And so is caffeine.

My 2 year old watches tv.  Some days none, some a shit ton.

She also cusses.  Oops.

We hardly eat organic at all.  It's just too expensive.

I hate farmer's markets.  The one here is double grocery store prices.

I had one natural hospital birth and one completely accidental uc (100 total minutes in labor,midwives 45 minutes away) and I think people who have an epidural are "braver" than me.  I may have shoved a kid out without drugs, but they let someone stick a needle in their back!  That terrifies me. 

obstruct livery vehicles

#189 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Im sorry, but I dont like you assuming you know what was going on in my head when I started this thread.  I am the OP, and my intentions were to start a thread that said,"its ok if you made mistakes in your AP/NFL journey".  We shouldnt have to hide behind our choices and decisions because they don't meet some high standard of Natural Family Living because a bunch of experts say this is how you should do it, and if you don't, your doing it wrong.  I can remember lurking for soooo long and being afraid to post any opinions or questions for fear of being judged or outright bashed.  I watched other posters get HAMMERED on for things like letting thier baby cry in the car seat long enough to get home from the grocery store.  It made me wonder if I was doing detrimental damage to my children pyshes because heck, I had done that before.  Posters were likening that kind of behavoir to CIO and child abuse. 

I have come to a cross roads in my MDC journey that I just dont care if I did it wrong anymore.  If I dont fall into the "AP/NFL" category, so be it.  But I still value what I can get from some of these boards, and damnit, I am not going to just disappear because someone thinks I should because I dont belong here.  I DO BELONG HERE.  Just because I dont have my own garden or work full time and my kids are in daycare does NOT mean I dont have something to offer in this community.  Ever try keeping your milk supply up when you have to pump 10hours a day and you already have supply issues?  It sucks.  But I used this community to find ways to do that and BFed my son for almost a year.  IT WAS HELL.  But I took away with me some tools that I could share with other mamas here having the same issues.  My son also didnt let me sleep for the first year in a half of his life.  I found things that worked for getting 2-3 hours of straight sleep a night, and I could help other mamas if they needed advice in that area.  So I am just as much a "Member" of this community as someone "crunchier" then me. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I know that the point of this thread was to have a thread that was directly opposite of this thread:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1317333/you-might-be-a-crunchy-parent-if

I think its really rude to jump on people on a thread where they are sharing things that they do that they consider "non mainstream" but then when you start your own thead to talk about how you "cancel out your APness" everyone who wants to disagree with any of the things you do is "on a high horse."

So really? MDC is now a place where mamas can be jumped on for saying that homeschooling is non mainstream and being proud that your kid doesnt know that babies are born in hospitals but its TOTALLY not okay to ask someone why they drive a gas guzzler intentionally? I see. Sorry, I didnt realize that.

And really?  What is so UN-NFL about having a baby in a hospital?  I had both my kids in a hospital, totaly natural, immediate skin to skin.  It was a good thing I was there with Matthew, because I started hemmoraging and would have had to be transffered to the hospital ANYWAY. 

#190 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

You honestly dont understand how, even if that wouldnt bother YOU, it might bother SOMEONE ELSE to be treated that way?  Internet forum or not?  And perhaps in your 7 years as a member here, you just havent INTERPRETED those events in that way because you have much thicker skin then other posters. 

Quote:

Seriously, when does this happen?  How can I be here 7 years with 6600 posts and never see this sort of stuff?  And even if it did happen, who cares?  If it doesn't bother you, then why should it matter to you if it does bother someone else?  Does that judgmental person have the power to ban you?  Does their opinion of you make or break your day?

lovingmommyhood likes this.
#191 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

You assumed what was going on in my head when I started this thread, also.  But you actually get me, it would appear.  kiss.gif

Quote:

You seem to think that we are coming together because we are somehow against natural mothering.  This is not the case.  The point of this thread was not to bitch, it was to embrace our faults.  Which does enhance my spiritual growth, thank you very much.  It is your opinion that this type of thing creates resentment, etc--most of the people in this thread feel that there is already a pervasive sense of "us-versus-them-ism," and we are trying to not feel so alone in that.  We are trying to make peace with the criticism we get, and laugh it off.  If that's not okay, then man, I really don't belong on this board.  But I guess if I go anywhere else, and finally do find that sense of camaraderie I thought I was finding at MDC, well that's just a "sad kinship," which apparently isn't worth a damn...

#192 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMommaToTwo View Post

Yeah, I don't know much about it, but they use like cloths and then wash them. Instead of toilet paper. I'm sure someone here will edumecate us about it.

Search "Family Cloth" in the forums fora ;)

I know that, with the past moderation, threads that offered differing opinions weren't allowed. They were always flagged as "promoting" that opinion even if it was just a discussion. There was a period of time where my son had to cry to be ready for sleep. Seriously. We had to put him in the pack-n-play and let him cry for 2-3 mins before he'd come to bed and not want to play. We hated every second of it. He was about 12mo and this went on for a couple of months. I've never felt comfortable telling that story as advice because I know that a dozen people would report me for "promoting CIO" even though I don't see it that way. I've seen threads where people say "some kids just need to cry" and people jump all over them. I've seen the threads where a mom says "I was at the end of my rope and spanked. What can I do next time?" and 90% of the thread is "Don't hit your child!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG ABUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" instead of the advice she needed. (I'm not advocating hitting...but I've had that thread and it's really frustrating when you ask for advice to get torn to pieces over your mistake) I couldn't breastfeed through pregnancy. My supply dipped and the pain was causing me to resent my son. I chose to gently wean him at 15mo. I don't talk about it because each time a mom asks about nursing during pregnancy someone gets on and says, "It was horribly painful and I hated it but I did what was best" and I do NOT agree with that. There have been threads tearing apart moms for not breastfeeding for one reason or another (there was an entire thread about making formula illegal or something awhile back...) A good friend of mine stopped breastfeeding because the mess of her oversupply set off her OCD. According to some moms on here she should have done it anyway because "breast is best." Nope, again I don't agree. 

It IS liberating to be able to say "I disagree" and not be worried 8 people are going to click "report post"

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#193 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphinette View Post

ew, what in the world does that mean? 

it means that you were the first person who came to this thread to moan and complain about it. Also stating that you wish MDC were MORE crunchy/AP/NFL whatever and it makes total sense that you had a UC which is to some people here the MOST crunchy thing you can do...This isn't the UC forum so I don't have to pretend like I think UC/UPing is anything other than a terrible idea and I am not going to. If anyone has a problem with that they can take it up via PM with me or go to the UC forum where anything but blind support for UC is discouraged and denied. 

I'm not going to tell someone how they have to birth and I don't care what an individual person does but yeah as a whole I think UC is a bad bleeping idea...So sue meeyesroll.gif

Some of the attitudes here are really why other mamas who have been here for years feel like they aren't welcome. The fact that there are posters who feel like this thread should be shut down instead of just leaving it alone if they disagree with it is so much is evidence enough of why this thread is so popular. It isn't exactly a small number of posters here who are feeling this way but a few vocal posters are insisting we are all wrong and THEY have never seen shaming or whatever so it couldn't possibly be true...Once again just basically proves some of the points made in this thread...

#194 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 05:39 AM

Anybody get me if I say:  "Progress, not perfection?"

I have sat in some little rooms.

There are a lot of different ways to get to the same destination, even within a paradigm.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#195 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 06:03 AM

haven't read all the replies

We eat local and organic but do eat fast food or pizza every now and then

I BFed until ds was around 4 and  coslept as well

but he is vaxed and circumcised.  I have mixed feelings about it

we have always had a TV and let DS watch since he was small. I did try to limit it when he was younger to no more than and hour a day. Now he is 13 and I just have to chose my battles. He does IMO way too much video games and electronics for my taste.

what else, I am sure lots but I don't know a family who gets everything right

#196 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 06:30 AM

Another "uncrunchy" thing we do:  We LOVE LOVE LOVE Whataburger. If you've been in Texas you know it's HUGE down here. And rightfully so...it's amazing.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#197 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

I think we also have to remember that everyone has their own most important cause that maybe brought them here, or they acquired here, and we should not be shocked when other people here don't share the same devotion.  That's why there are separate fora.  This thread actually overlaps with the equally pleasant "Which aspect of NFL/AP is most important?" also known as "If you had to circumcise or formula-feed, which would you choose?"  All these threads always go so well.  eyesroll.gif  So well, that we feel the need to repeat them every few months or so.

Seriously, folks, MDC is not a popularity contest, nor is it Survivor.  No one is voting you off based on your list of crunchy cred.  If you are tender about something you do, then don't share it online. 

Decided I better change that post and bow out of this convo. *edited*

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#198 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I disdain BPA as much as the next dirty hippie, but if we are going to go all-natural here, what are we doing using a computer anyway?  duck.gif

Why, we are all using computers made out of 100% recycled materials, of course!  biglaugh.gif

DoubleDouble likes this.

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

#199 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 08:06 AM

Just wanted to pop in and say I had never heard the terms "AP," "Natural Family Living," or "crunchy" (as it applies to raising children) until DS2 was born.  I did a lot of the things that follow AP/NFL, but literally had never heard of names for this.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#200 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 AM

Mama, I *reject* lists and checklists and the little box (even for "AP");  nothing "cancels it out", I don't kowtow to the mainstream--even the alternative mainstream.

OTOH, if you can't bear the thought of someone whining and moaning and fussing about something you post up on a huge internet site with unrestricted public access--maybe a message board isn't for you.  No matter what you do, someone somewhere is going to find a way to be pissed about it.  People are still people, and people self-identifying with "AP" or "alternative" are frankly just as thoughtless, rude, mean, angry, judgemental, and selfish as the world at large--which is to say MOST are decent folk, and you decide to listen to the loudest mouths...more fool you.

Storm Bride likes this.
#201 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 08:20 AM

You know, the other "I'm so crunchy because..." thread really put a bad taste in my mouth.  Some of the posts were funny, but others seemed like passive-agressive attempts at claiming superiority over others ("Where is your compost bin?  What?  You don't compost?  I thought everyone composted.  How weird!")  And I was glad that this thread was started.  

But then it very quickly turned into people promoting things that are very clearly against Mothering's basic UA and making indirect attacks on people who do things that are considered on the "extreme" end of crunchiness.  "I circ/spank/put my baby in a ff carseat and I'm proud!"  or "I've been made to feel like a total outcast because I use toilet paper, tell my kid no, don't EC, birth with an attendant, etc."  I mean, come on!  I know that there are people in this community who will assert that birthing with an attendant is unnatural or that diapers are disrespectful to babies, but they are very, very few.  Most people on Mothering have no problem with people who use sposies, don't eat organic, use strollers, birth in a hospital, etc.  I think it's perfectly fine (and should have been expected) that people came on this thread to express concern that spanking or circing were being promoted.  That's not okay here, no matter what the purpose of the thread is. 

I've also been here for a very long time, and I have to say, this is the most tolerant and accepting I've ever seen the boards, and I'm glad to see it.  Back in 2007, if someone had posted that they couldn't bring themselves to feed their nephew formula, there would have been a whole bunch of "Oh, that poor baby" responses, and maybe one person who posts tentatively that the OP should be more understanding.  On the thread that was posted a couple weeks ago, the OP got torn a new one.

What this thread really reminds me of is the trolling board I (stupidly) went to recently where people were taking the most extreme posts from Mothering and pretending like they represented the whole community.  Then they ranted and raved about how horrible/selfish/negligent/weird Mothering posters were.  A lot of posters on this thread are really expressing veiled derision for the more "extreme" choices they choose not to make.

And Ldavis24, I'm actually really glad you finally came right out and said that you think UCing is stupid and dangerous.  You've done it passive-aggressively many times on this thread (and directly on other threads).  Your post is a really good example of why I'm uncomfortable with this thread and think it is NOT serving the purpose for which it was originally intended.

#202 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 08:39 AM

lurk.gif

(please don't judge - this popcorn is organic) biglaugh.gif
purslaine and SuburbanHippie like this.

sleepytime.gif
#203 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllya View Post

Is it weird that I'm not really crunchy or AP at all, and I don't feel unwelcome at MDC? (At least I feel un-crunchy and un-AP compared to most people here. I guess I'm actually pretty middle-of-the-road.) I'm actually just here for future reference, so maybe I'd be more sensitive if I already had kids.

It seems there are only a few "rules" for fitting in with the MDC crowd, as far as I can tell: don't physically assault your child, don't use CIO, don't amputate any of your infant's healthy body parts, give human milk if you can, rear-face the car seat, if you ever broke any of those treat it as a mistake, and use the bag.gif smiley if you admit to eating at McDonald's. Homeschooling, letting your kids play with toy guns, letting your kids watch TV, giving birth at home, using a sling, eating sugar, eating meat, eating gluten, leaving your kid in a room alone with your dog, wanting your schoolkid to have homework, giving your kid such and such a vaccine, giving your kid Tylenol, taking Tylenol when in labor, etc all seem to have proponents on each side.

(My least-MDC-ish aspect is that I make video games and plan to do so for a living someday.)

This is a good post, Cylla. Thank you.

I am sorry so many people feel pressured or put down here at MDC.

I understand there are posters on both sides of any issue who have strong feelings and strong personalities. And then there are some of us who don't enjoy debate or arguments. lol.gif

There is a core set of beliefs that MDC supports and generally, anything I do or have done that is not in line with those beliefs, I do not promote on the board.

No parent is perfect.

And in my opinion parenting is a journey and it is GREAT to have other parents along the way who help. 

When I was a new mom the things I did were so different from what my family and friends were doing that La Leche League and Mothering Magazine were my ONLY safe places, the only places I found support for what I was trying ( imperfectly I might add) to do. I am OLD...MDC didn't even exist when my oldest son was a baby. wink1.gif

This is a very big place with so many different kinds of people. But everyone who comes here agrees to abide by the UA, which apparently has been reworked since I last visited, and also reads the statement of beliefs ( or not.)

Anyway, I come here to learn and hopefully to help others learn. I am not a perfect parent, but I do love my children and I have tried to be the best mother I could be. I figure most parents are like that, just doing the best they can and learning along the way.

I also come here for fun. I've met some great people here! love.gif

Sorry. I am having trouble writing this post. It is NOISY at my house right now!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#204 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Banned

by many I think you mean twice right?

...I guess I am not crunchy that way, I think UC is a bad idea...

If you are uncomfortable with this thread, I don't see anyone stopping any of you who think it's terrible, from not clicking on it and posting but apparently morbid curiosity trumps moral outrage.

Charlie's Angels, once again thank you for starting this threadluxlove.gif

Pretending MDC isn't often a judgemental crunchier than thou place is just silly. Sugarcoating judgmental comments with "gently" or "hth" or being passive aggressive does not make things less judgmental it just makes them seem that way with a casual glance. 

#205 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post

At least I have the nerve to come outright and say what I'm judgmental about, ie UC.

I see.  So you just don't think it's okay when people judge YOUR choices.  That makes sense.

#206 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Your welcome.  love.gif

I am being bashed for my intentions, or because of what this thread has become.  And I dont care.  I know what I intended it for, and I feel Ive made some key points, as have others.  Im also glad the new UA allowed it to stick around.  Because I think a healthy debate is, well, healthy.  I love being shown how we are all so different, but we can still be a COMMUNITY.  It gives me hope for humankind as a whole. 

#207 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriditas View Post

I see.  So you just don't think it's okay when people judge YOUR choices.  That makes sense.

my choices generally don't carry the risk of hurting a mother/baby with bad/misinformed advice. There have been several extremely tragic outcomes for mother and baby specifically related to the advice that those women received on these boards regarding UC. I don't believe there can be any real argument so to whether it is safer to have an attendant skilled in assisting births as opposed to going without. Obviously is always safer to have someone there in case of an emergency.

#208 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 09:41 AM

Here is my attempt to put a more positive spin on this thread:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1317731/how-i-have-been-humbled

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#209 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphinette View Post

This is interesting to me because it is very much a matter of your perspective and I would wonder why your perspective is so skewed in this regard?  Why would you ever think that any of the MDC moms are coming from such a ridiculous place and then still want to get advice from them?

Skewed?  That is a matter of your perspective, and I disagree.  As for the second part of your post... There is plenty of insane advice on here, and also tons of fabulous advice.  I take what I like and what works for me and leave the rest.  Its called judgement. 

FWIW dauphinette, I agree with the vast majority of what you've said but I can tell you think I'm attacking you and I'm not.  And I understood the post you wrote about people confessing and not feeling bad.  But my opinion is that people are "confessing" and don't feel bad.  And shouldn't feel bad. 

#210 of 468 Old 06-15-2011, 09:51 AM

CharliesAngel,
Im sorry if you are offend that I assume your intentions for starting this thread were to have an alternative to the other thread. You post in the other thread made me feel like you were upset that it was there, and then you started this one, so you could see how it looks like you went off to start your own "anti crunchy" thread.

I had my kid in a hospital. Im not saying there is anything non-NFL about it, Im just saying whats wrong with a mama being proud that her kid plays midwife and not doctor? NOTHING.

It seems like anytime anyone is proud of anything they do that is "crunchy" they get jumped on by all the twws ladies. JMO.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page