Why do adults place grown up ideas on children's characters. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is sort of a spin off from one of the other threads.

I was looking up Ernie and Bert...from sesame street, and find out there are people who claim Bert and Ernie are Gay.  

Now, everybody knows Ernie is not mature enough for a grown up relationship. (Bert.. maybe)   So, why do adults place grown up ideas on these kid's show characters?  

I'm not being snarky.. I want to understand why a kid's show can't just be a kid's show.. for kids.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 11:52 AM

Because people are bored.

Because thinking about Bert and Ernie being gay makes watching Sesame Street more tolerable when you're 20-40 years old.

Because people think it's funny to make more out of something than is really there.

Because people enjoy conspiracy theories.

Just a couple thoughts.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 06-16-2011, 02:43 PM

Being gay is no more a grown up idea than people having families or being married or having a 'mom' and a 'dad' are 'grown up' ideas. Many children with gay parents/ family/friends also watch tv and to them being gay is as normal and part of life as being straight.

Now talking cars in heterosexual relationships is one of the weirdest things I can imagine, but it seems to make millions of dollars!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post

Now talking cars in heterosexual relationships is one of the weirdest things I can imagine, but it seems to make millions of dollars!

I still haven't seen either of those movies.  I kinda want to.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post

I still haven't seen either of those movies. I kinda want to.

Neither have I but I saw the preview the other day and was like 'huh? Wah?'
Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 PM

I don't think being gay is a grown up idea, do you? They live without parents, so they clearly aren't meant to be children. They're either in a relationship, or they're roommates. Neither one of those is an "adult idea."
Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 PM

It's all a perceived conspiracy to encourage children to think they want to be gay, or that they want to be gay.  Didn't you hear?  Bert, Ernie, Elmo, all those fun-loving, sing-songin' types, they are designed to promote the gay agenda.  Designed by gays, promoted by gays.  Intended to make our children gay!  Our children are in grave danger!  (shrug and eye roll...sorry my emoticons are not loading right now).

I wouldn't be so snarky if this wasn't an argument that I've heard before (the argument that there's a gay agenda).  It's ludicrous. 

Edited to add that normally when I hear people complaining of the gayness of puppets and characters designed to appeal to children, it is usually in the context of protesting the presentation of the "gay agenda" to children.  As an artist and a puppeteer myself, it just leaves me very cynical.  Even if Bert and Ernie are gay, and that was the intention of the producers, there's no agenda to convert straight children to gay children.  Roommates, gay guys, brothers, whatever.  

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

I don't think being gay is a grown up idea, do you? They live without parents, so they clearly aren't meant to be children. They're either in a relationship, or they're roommates. Neither one of those is an "adult idea."

This is what I thought.  Almost all the other characters have parents and they don't.  So I assumed they were roommates when I was little and gay now b/c there's enough straight couples on that show.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 06-16-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

This is what I thought.  Almost all the other characters have parents and they don't.  So I assumed they were roommates when I was little and gay now b/c there's enough straight couples on that show.

I'm pretty sure at some point Bert was dating a female character

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 06-16-2011, 10:29 PM

Maybe he's bi. . .(but I don't remember Bert ever dating anyone)
Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 PM

I don't think he's bi, he has lived with Ernie the entire run of the show. I don't think they would have a Sesame Street character living with someone romantically and dating someone else. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 06-16-2011, 10:47 PM

I'm pretty sure Burt and Ernie were based on The Odd Couple actually.

As to why ascribe an adult agenda to kids characters?  Well, maybe because they are created by adults.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

I'm pretty sure Burt and Ernie were based on The Odd Couple actually.

As to why ascribe an adult agenda to kids characters?  Well, maybe because they are created by adults.

So did people think that the Odd Couple also promoted the 'gay agenda'?

I always assumed Bert & Ernie were brothers. They certainly bickered like brothers.

Can't there just be platonic roommates? To paraphrase a famous psychiatrist: Sometimes a roommate is just a roommate. But I guess some people can't see that.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 06-17-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

Now, everybody knows Ernie is not mature enough for a grown up relationship. (Bert.. maybe)  

Curious how we all "know" this since I don't remember either of them being given an age.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Curious how we all "know" this since I don't remember either of them being given an age.

I assume the PP meant the Ernie is not emotionally mature enough. And was joking.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:12 AM

I think she meant his emotional maturity, rather than his age. (I can think of other TV characters who are explicity in grownup relationships without being mature enough, though the only ones who come to mind are not on kid shows.)

Add me to the group that doesn't see homosexuality as a grownup idea. Is heterosexuality a grownup idea? Should there not be any couples in kids shows? I don't think Bert and Ernie are supposed to be a gay couple, but I wouldn't care if they were. (Of course, the show's creators can't make them literally gay because of all the homophobes out there....)

Old 06-17-2011, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

I assume the PP meant the Ernie is not emotionally mature enough. And was joking.

Thank you.

Yes, I was being sarcastic.  

Anyway.. my point is, as an adult, some kid's shows creep me out.  But, when I saw them as a kid, they were great.. I had no weird feelings about them back then.  But, I look at them through the eyes of an adult, and I wonder "how did I not know HR puffinstuff was a pervert!!??"  (he wasn't..but, I look at things differently now)  I think Yo Gabba Gabba is creepy.  But, I haven't wondered where the characters sleep at night, or who they are sexting after the show.

My point is, why can't Ernie just be Ernie?    

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Are_Ernie_and_Bert_gay%3F  <--OK.... I'll admit.. this was sorta funny... especially the magazines and the puzzles at the bottom.  BUT ONLY because I have a dry sense of humor, and those magazines made me laugh.  

I guess, i'm just now hearing about all this... apparently it's really old news.  

Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Any other fans of the show Friends?  There was this GREAT episode where Phoebe got a gig singing at a children's program at a library, and she wrote songs for them explaining the world. One went:

"Sometimes men like women.

Sometimes men like men.

And then there are bisexuals, most folks say they are just kidding themselves.

La lala la la la."

It was brilliant. She had another great song farms animals:

"The cow on the farm says moo.

The cow on the farm says moo.

And the farmer hits it in the head.

And that's how we get hamburger."

She was asked never to return to the library again because the parents complained, but the children followed her to the coffee shop, referring to her as "The lady who tells the truth"

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

wait so let me get this straight.

a kids show IS a kids show right? in the eyes of a child. the kids are not hearing about the characters being gay right?

its the adults having a parallel universe constructing all sorts of conclusions. 

maybe coz they want to link something back to childhood to relate to teh warm and fuzzies. if bert and ernie were gay then gaydom cant be that bad can it?!!!

or you look at it the other way.

remember rev? jerry falwell and tinky winky's purple colour and triangle and dipy's read purse controversy? aaaaaah those teletubbies!!! 

oh no you teletubbies creators are indirectly brainwashing my kids by using gay symbols. i really think Falwell believed that. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 AM

I bet there is Bert and Ernie fan fiction.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 06-17-2011, 11:59 AM

Holy crap, there is.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Rule 34...

http://xkcd.com/305/

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

maybe coz they want to link something back to childhood to relate to teh warm and fuzzies. if bert and ernie were gay then gaydom cant be that bad can it?!!!

I've heard the "Bert and Ernie are gay" thing off and on for at least a couple of decades. The only people I, personally, have ever heard come out with it are of the "everything on television is trying to brainwash our children into being gay" mindset. It's not about acceptance of homosexuality or anything like that. It's a bizarre (imo) belief that there are all these deliberate hidden agendas in children's television.

And, fwiw, I thought Bert and Ernie were kids when I was little. I assumed they were brothers and that their parents just weren't around during many scenes. Looking back, they don't quite come across as kids, but they don't really seem like adults, either. OTOH...they're puppets, so it's not like I think it's terribly relevant, anyway!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 06-17-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Rule 34...

http://xkcd.com/305/

LMBO!  Sigh.. I am more twisted than I thought.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

It's not about acceptance of homosexuality or anything like that. It's a bizarre (imo) belief that there are all these deliberate hidden agendas in children's television.

That's what I was seeing yesterday when I wanted to look up some happy childhood memories of Ernie, Bert and Grover (my faves) and I ran across people accusing Sesame street of brainwashing kids.  

I always assumed they were the male Muppet version of Laverne and Shirley.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

remember rev? jerry falwell and tinky winky's purple colour and triangle and dipy's read purse controversy? aaaaaah those teletubbies!!! 

oh no you teletubbies creators are indirectly brainwashing my kids by using gay symbols. i really think Falwell believed that. 

Oh, I forgot about the Teletubbies uproar!  My personal experience with the Teletubbies show was slightly more lighthearted, however.  It was popular when I was in college and my friends and I found it widely amusing/entertaining, but for reasons I should keep to myself.  winky.gif

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:11 PM

It's like the time Sesame Street in South Africa was working on adding an HIV+ muppet and people over in the US started accusing them of a pro-gay agenda. The muppet in question was like, a 10 year old female and not even going to appear in the US version.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I knew my kid was gay just about the time he was watching Sesamy street. I  had no diea he was furry too.

Sexuality is not a grown up idea. It is not liek the moment one turn 18 one becames a sexual being

Old 06-17-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

I bet there is Bert and Ernie fan fiction.

Rule 34 states there has to be. 

Old 06-19-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post

Rule 34 states there has to be. 

Here you go: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6881086/1/Bert_and_Ernie_Adventure_It There's more but this had a safe for kids/work rating.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.

User Tag List