Urgent Question, Please Help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-16-2011, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone, I have an urgent question, and would greatly appreciate an answer.
I am the mother of a wonderful, sensitive seven-year-old boy, who is about to go into second grade. The school he attends has a great tradition, where a couple of times a year, all the parents get together and put on a parents-only play for the kids to watch and enjoy. As you can imagine they are very light hearted, and are mostly just excuses for the parents to show off, and act goofy. Needles to say all the kids, including my son, greatly look forward to these shows. However my concern is towards something that happens on stage.
The character I was chosen to play is a typical damsel in distress. Within the first several minutes of the play, I come onstage, and run into a character called Rob (played by a father of a student). He comments on how nice he thinks my shoes are, and says that in fact his daughter wants a pair exactly like them. He then proceeds to ask me to give him the shoes as a gift. After a couple minutes of funny banter, I refuse to surrender the shoes. His character then delivers a very comical "boo!", which scares me and causes me to faint. I fall forward and he catches me then picks me up and carries me in his arms, and then lays me down in a corner at the front of the stage. He then removes my shoes and runs away with them, and the play continues, now with the added set piece of me lying unconscious (and barefoot) on stage, where I am to remain for the rest of the show.
Now this is all obviously, very cheesy, and in good humor. But frankly I don’t know if this is something that my son would enjoy watching. Seeing his mom unconscious and carried by a strange man, who then leaves her lying barefoot and out cold, even in a pretend way, seems like a bit harsh of an image. For me, even picturing my mom feigning unconsciousness, is uncomfortable. Also, at the end of the play, when all the parents come up to bow, to keep the joke going Rob is supposed to carry me, still unconscious, while everyone bows. I don’t think all this warrants dropping out of the show, as that will probably upset my son even more, but I am really in need of some advice on what, if anything I should do. Again, I will greatly appreciate some opinions, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 AM

Who will your son be watching with?  Can you talk it over with him before-hand?  I have a seven-year-old and I can't imagine him being upset by any of that.  

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#3 of 5 Old 06-17-2011, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a very sensitive 7 year old and I think she'd be fine. She understands the concept of actors, and so that has enabled her to watch movies recently, when before, they have simply been too scary. We watched the Sound of Music last week and she checked in a couple of times, "those are all actors?" but she was fine. Make sure he knows you're acting, obviously, but I wouldn't worry.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#4 of 5 Old 06-17-2011, 04:45 AM

Since it's a funny, lighthearted play could you give a silly wave or something from the ground to reassure your DS?

Also, when you write it out it DOES sound harsh - but in the moment it would probably be just what it's intended to be, lighthearted, funny : )

#5 of 5 Old 06-17-2011, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you described it to him and asked him how he'll feel? He's old enough to understand the difference between pretend and real. My guess is that he'd be OK with it at that age, but you could warn him ahead of time and ask him how he would feel in that situation.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page