Do you ever get away for the weekend with you SO? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 06-24-2011, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Yeah, we've had a night away once or twice a year since DS was about 2 years old. The kids' grandparents watch them while we're gone -- either a sleepover with the ILs who live nearby, or my mom will fly down and watch them at our house. They're all wonderful grandparents, so we don't worry for a split second while we're gone, and the kids always have a great time. This year, for our 10th anniversary, we're thinking of going away for 2 or 3 nights and are really looking forward to it. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 53 Old 06-24-2011, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No.  Never.  We have no one to watch our kids.  We have gone out for dinner 2 times since we had our ds 4 years ago.  2 dates in 4 years.  For all of you who have people to watch your babes...go out and have fun and enjoy!!!

caffix.gif

#33 of 53 Old 06-25-2011, 03:37 AM

Ds is just 8 months and Dh and I just last week left him for the first time for about 3 hours with my mom (and we weren't alone, we were bringing two of my siblings to a movie). He did perfectly, took the pumped bottle of breastmilk, and fell asleep in her arms :) So now we are excited to go out alone at least to just have dinner and a movie. If he tolerates our date well again, we plan on doing a little 24 hour getaway right after he turns one (I'll of course leave lots of pumped breastmilk, I plan on nursing till at least 2, hopefully 3!). 

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#34 of 53 Old 06-25-2011, 11:10 AM

We can and have gone out for an overnight, DS1 stays with MIL or my mom or my sister. He is very comfortable at any of those places so we do not worry. Haven't left DS2 yet, but I'm ready! He is nightweaned so as soon as an opportunity arises to get away, I'm planning on taking it. With or without my DP smile.gif As for date nights, we can get those whenever we want so yeah, we try to do it often. DP works out of town during the week though so I think it's hard for him to want to voluntarily be away from them on the weekend.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#35 of 53 Old 06-25-2011, 04:06 PM

Yes!  It's super easy for us though, because our children are from previous marriages so they spend lots of time with their other parents.  During the summer there's lots of kid-free time!  SO travels a lot for work, so it's fun when I can tag along with him.  :)  We're currently TTC, so hopefully this will be our last kid-free summer.  :)  As much as we enjoy it, we won't necessarily miss it either, kwim?  Things will definitely be a lot different when we have a new little one.  SO has family close, but I don't envision any of them wanting to babysit overnight...and I'm not sure I'd want them to either.  As much as I love them...I just don't see it happening.  And that's okay!  As long as we can squeeze in a few date nights here and there we'll be good. :)

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#36 of 53 Old 06-25-2011, 04:12 PM

We had a week away once when ODS was 5 and ODD was 10 months.  It was our honeymoon.  Haven't had so much as a night away since (unless you count being in the hospital after giving birth and even then DH wasn't with me LOL).

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#37 of 53 Old 06-28-2011, 01:58 PM

We haven't ever and probably won't... for a very very very long time! I don't know about a whole night/weekend away, but an occasional dinner without kids in tow would be kinda nice. This happens maybe once every other year? I don't really mind though. DH and I never "dated" and I had a child before we were together that he jumped right into being a FT dad to (DS was barely 1)... so I have nothing to miss! We do have alone time at night and watch movies, which I'm happy with heartbeat.gif

I would probably feel much different if I had family around who were trustworthy. My closest trustworthy family are in Montana and Hawaii and we are in sunny FL! I have a SIL here who I trust for short occasions, like 3 hrs max... and preferably only my oldest. She doesn't have any kids and is scared of diaper changing lol.gif

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#38 of 53 Old 06-28-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali View Post

No.  Never.  We have no one to watch our kids.  We have gone out for dinner 2 times since we had our ds 4 years ago.  2 dates in 4 years.  For all of you who have people to watch your babes...go out and have fun and enjoy!!!

truedat.gif

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#39 of 53 Old 06-28-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix~Mama View Post

If so, how often are you able/do you do so?  What are the ages of your kids?  Who watches them while you are gone?

No, we've never left dd for a weekend. Dd is 11.

\We have 2 indoor dogs, 3 indoor cats and a hamster to care for too. We don't have anyone  to care for dd for a whole weekend and care for the dogs, etc. It kind of cramps our ability to go away for a weekend even taking dd along.

Someday the pets will die and dd will be older. We aren't having more kids and probably will never have this many animals in our house at once again.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#40 of 53 Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 AM

ROTFLMAO.gifROTFLMAO.gifROTFLMAO.gifROTFLMAO.gifROTFLMAO.gif

You're too funny!  Or was this supposed to be serious? orngtongue.gif

We have 2 under 3 (one still a nursling), with no one that we trust to leave hem with overnight.  My husband and I both work retail type jobs that require evening & weekends, with no set schedule week to week.  We rarely have the same day off, let alone 2 (especially not in a row).  And we're broke.  So no, no getaways for us!

And that was a very mean thing for your mother to say. irked.gif  Don't believe a word of it.  Every other job gives you vacation time, personal/sick days, weekends, etc., so don't let her make you feel guilty for wanting time off from parenting.

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
#41 of 53 Old 07-04-2011, 06:02 PM

No, we haven't been away (*I* haven't been apart) from our 8month DS (we do travel without my husband sometimes).  We still nurse and cosleep.  But once he's night weaned (whenever that will be!), I would love LOVE at least an over night with just my husband.  

I'm super lucky that my inlaws live within walking distance and they have a super excellent rapport with DS.  I'm beyond comfortable with the idea of leaving our sweet boy with them, and I know they look forward to overnights.  (But in practice I'll probably think of DS the whole time!)  eyesroll.gif

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#42 of 53 Old 07-05-2011, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would like to have a weekend or even just one full day alone with my DP before our fourth child arrives in Dec/January.  DD #3 is 2 years old and we've never been separated overnight, so I will have to find a special caregiver. .  .

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#43 of 53 Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 PM

Yep! DD is 18 months now and just weaned (herself) in the past couple of weeks, but she's been night weaned since she turned 1 in Dec. In Feb, we went overnight to a hotel downtown, in April we went to Vegas for a couple nights and this coming weekend we're going to Napa. Both of our sets of parents live in town and adore DD and she loves staying with her grammas and "pop pops."

It's not really about getting away from DD, it's more about being able to go to places that aren't particularly toddler friendly. We consider

ourselves very fortunate to have such loving, awesome families that we trust with our baby. :-)

#44 of 53 Old 07-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

heck yah!! I really treasure our alone time when we get it. 

We have a 10 month old, so it hasn't happened in the last 10 months and I wouldn't until we nightweaned. But typically, I've left my kids around 2 yrs old with my parents. It's always gone off without a hitch, and the kids look forward to their slumber parties with my parents. My parents usually ask if they  can come over and then we work something around their asking. Usually we just stay home and enjoy the silence ;) But we've gone away a few times. When they were 3 and 6, we went to Hawaii for a week ( dh had a business trip there!) and I hafta say, it was one of the best weeks of my life. While dh was off working, I  slept in till 10 am every morning, ate breakfast ALONE with a book every morning, and sat by the pool or beach all day with a drink ALONE, and then went out to fabulous dinners with my dh at night. It was awesome!! I came home to my children refreshed. And they had a BLAST with my parents. They kept asking when they were going to spend another 8 days with my parents again!! And my 3 year old went right back to  nursing as she had before I had left.

And while I'm in no hurry to leave my youngest right now. I know it will be wonderful and restful to leave her once she is ready. I highly recommend it :) 

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#45 of 53 Old 07-11-2011, 06:25 PM

nope. but our dd is only 16 months, so i'm not desperate yet!

we don't have any family close, they are all 6 hours away. when we go to visit, someone usually offers to watch her in the evening or for a couple hours in the afternoon so we can get out. usually we are tired from travelling or busy with various family stuff when we go, so the "dates" are like an hour at the coffee shop or something. my dd's separation anxiety is getting much better, so i am forseeing a longer evening where someone else can actually feed, bath and put her to bed. 

i would love to go away on a vacation by ourselves, though not for a good long while, as while our families are responsible and loving, i don't quite trust them to follow through with our wishes... i have caught my mom trying to feed her stuff i don't want her to have, and they are definitely in the more traditional, strict parenting style. when she's a bit older and she can verbalize a bit better (and things like wanting to let her CIO at night aren't really an issue) i will feel more comfortable letting them stay longer with her. 

#46 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

ds is only almost 17 months- and lately I feel like I barely even see my dh- when he gets home from work I am so bleeping burnt out on the baby at that point that I am like- you take him! right now they are out. It is hard! we are hopiong to have a date night this weekend but those never seem to manifest somehow- ds is not easy with other caretakers- only with my parents who live many hours away. We are trying to get him comfy wth dh's fmaily who are close but no luck yet- he won't stay happily with anyone yet. On days like today where I am so bunrt out and exhausted I feel that I really need to get someone other than dh to watch ds once in a while. But I don't know who I would feel good about etcetera

and for the whole weekend? maybe when ds is older!!

#47 of 53 Old 07-14-2011, 09:17 PM

Going away for the first time since DS was born over 4 years ago TOMORROW!! We're staying two nights in a hotel and my folks are watching the kids (ages 4 yrs and DD is 19 months). Glad we're doing it now n/c I'm 20 weeks with #3.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#48 of 53 Old 07-15-2011, 09:47 AM
MJB

My husband and I went to Puerto Rico for a few days for our 5 year anniversary when my boys were 3 and 6. It was fabulous and I can't wait to do it again! We have an (almost) 1 year old now and will probably do a weekend away when she's 18 mos. or so. We're hoping to do an overnight within the next 2-3 months, but nightweaning and STTN has been temporarily derailed by teething. 

#49 of 53 Old 07-15-2011, 10:40 AM

We are going to do a weekend away in late October, just as Im finishing up weaning DD. It's to allow us a little time to ourselves before we have the new baby. We've done 6 overnights, and its gone really well, so I feel pretty confident about going away for the weekend. I'd do it sooner, but we dont have any spare time until then.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#50 of 53 Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker'smommy View Post

While dh was off working, I  slept in till 10 am every morning, ate breakfast ALONE with a book every morning, and sat by the pool or beach all day with a drink ALONE, and then went out to fabulous dinners with my dh at night. It was awesome!! 

I got a kick out of reading this.  lol.gif  While I've been away from DH, I've yet to really be away from DS (for more than an afternoon).  Before I had him, I treasured, treeeeaaaaasssssuuured my alone time.  I treasure DS (of course!), but do look forward to one of these amazing weekends (I can't get ahead of myself and think *week*) with time ALONE.  :)

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#51 of 53 Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 PM

No, not yet, and probably not for years. I've left her with DH, my mom, and a close friend while I ran a couple errands or went to see a movie; but I cannot fathom leaving her overnight not one, but two nights! DD is 8.5mo. 

mama to 1 gorgeous DD 11/05/10

When we know better, we do better.

#52 of 53 Old 08-03-2011, 04:22 PM

no not in long time. we got to go away last labor day weekend. kids were 1 3 and 5. and my mom watched the kids. but that was a miracle. so not recently and that was first time ever. so we dont think it will happen again till they r teens.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#53 of 53 Old 08-04-2011, 12:53 AM

Hubby surprised me with an overnight getaway last Friday night...it was super relaxing and 9mo ds did awesome! He drank breastmilk from a bottle, ate meals with our friends who were watching him, danced and bounced to the guitar, and listened to books read. They took videos and pics while we were gone and it looks like he had a blast :)

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page