What Have Your Kids Destroyed? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 06-24-2011, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Um,let's see.

Many posters.

every single wall has writing or drawings on it.

many,many clothes.

4 rooms of wall to wall carpeting.

floors under said carpeting(they were pretty bad anyway)

kitchen floor(all our floors are ruined.whoever bought the house to fix it up before we bought it did a really crappy job)

all kinds of toys.

the front of my big gas heater.ds threw a thomas wooden train and it shattered the glass.the gas company fixed it for free,as it was a rental at the time.the man who came out to fix it knew all about autism and was very understanding,thankfully!

many,many dvds,cds,and game cds.

speakers.

a brand new laptop.I don't know what ds did,but it wouldn't boot up again.Best buy has fixed it twice so far.luckily it was under warranty!Now my dad has it.Ds just is not ready.

sattelite dish remote.a few times.

sattelite dish recievers.a few times.directtv must love us lol!

my desktop vista computer.i don't know what they did,but it has a major virus.

I know there is more,but I think that is enough lol.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#32 of 53 Old 06-24-2011, 05:21 PM

See, at least all my stuff was covered by insurance :-)

#33 of 53 Old 06-24-2011, 07:34 PM

3 wiis, yup 3.

white rug (yup wasnt thinking when i bought that)

my boobs :(

my walls ( crayons, markers, paint, sharpies)

toddler bed frame mattress all of it

more pairs of sneakers then i can count (i don't know how they just ruin them, doesn't matter what brand)

clothes mine and theirs

laptop keys

cameras (2 or 3 not sure)

dvd player

the younger one HAS to take the wheels off of every toy car he possibly can (autism thing, he's not happy unless he can take`things apart, especially wheels)

speaking of which, i fixed it but one of my kitchen chairs were taken apart with a toy screwdriver in 10 mins at age 2)

closet doors (fell through them playing mario. not the video game they were "being" mario and luigi)

bikes/skateboards (again with the wheels)

my garden (they were planting a car tree)

a swing set (the neighborhood kids gave them a hand with that)

i think thats about it.....................for now

#34 of 53 Old 06-24-2011, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

lol!!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

My waistline

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#35 of 53 Old 06-25-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan&Zav View Post

my garden (they were planting a car tree)

ROTFLMAO.gifNot sure if you're an Eighties Baby; if not, you'll be too young to remember all of the hype surrounding the Smurfs.  My brother and I once destroyed our mom's garden by sowing Smurfberry Crunch cereal in it.  We truly believed that it would yield a substantial Smurfberry crop.....

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#36 of 53 Old 08-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

A big screen tv and the cable box.  Blue flames are apparently very interesting.  The company made me pay for their melted cable box.

Carpet - lots of gum.  I don't give them gum!

Kitchen table and a dining room chair.

wooden blinds.

The lab lost all the hair on his back and tail due to a hair cut gone wrong.  So embarrassing to walk him after that!

One broken window, barbie can break a window with one toss from a toddler

Two beds  Don't jump on the bed!

Antique rocking chair.

1 tower, fried the motherboard with milk... another blue flame.

Dented the top of my mustang and van.  I have a friend who will fix them both for free thank GOD!

I have girls by the way!

#37 of 53 Old 08-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Two laptops.  The first was dropped about 6 feet (off a porch) on to concrete, DS was trying to show a relative something and down it went.  The second was fried when DS spilled juice on it.

A cell phone or two.  (Cell phones don't last long in our family.)

Portable DVD player

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#38 of 53 Old 08-01-2011, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

A laptop or two. My current one is still going but with many dents and a few keys that do not work well. Just with DS1 alone in a 6 month period we went through 4 power supplies.

Too many cell phones to remember, before I needed a smart phone, I used to go to the store and ask for the phone they gave the construction workers knowing it was very durable!

DVD player, all the stereo equipment, what feels like a dozen remotes over the years

A new iPod touch bit the dust over the weekend. eyesroll.gif

Just about all the furniture in the house. Another couple years and we say we are just going to go out and buy everything again. 

Interior of the cars. DH never understands how this happens, um you try spending hours a day in the car with kids. Really. 

Any carpeting in any house we've bought. Our current cork flooring as well. 

And I'm sure there are many, many more! 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#39 of 53 Old 08-01-2011, 02:40 PM

DS1, to the best of my recollection only destroyed one couch (one piece of a sectional, and two cushions). He spilled red nail polish all over it.

All of the kids, in a joint effort with my ex-husband, have destroyed my dining suite. We're keeping it another year or two, until dd2 is past her toddler years, and then we'll get something that's not quite so trashed looking.

Let's see...

A pair of prescription glasses (oh - that was ds1, as well - he pulled them off my face and threw them, when he was about 9 months old).

More toys than I can remember

The bunk beds (several broken slats, as well as mulitple tooth marks, and they were brand new when they started using them).

Books (mostly dd2 - she's the one who loves books, but she also tears pages sometimes)

Quite a few dishes.

Multiple VHS tapes, and a few audio cassettes

Three crystal figurines (I collect Swarovski figurines)

I know there's a bunch of other stuff, but I can't remember what. I've been amazingly lucky with electronics, though. I've got 34 "parenting years" (ds1 is 18, dd1 is 8, ds2 is 6, and dd2 is 2) under my belt, and I don't think I've lost any electronics to the kids. (And, yes - I'm knocking on wood as I type!) The kids may have broken the CD player in our old minivan, but it was getting old, so it's hard to say what happened to it...just wish I'd remembered to salvage United Abominations from it when we traded it in.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#40 of 53 Old 08-01-2011, 04:18 PM

The utmost things that come to mind,

DD jumped on the bathroom scale and it brooke the travertine stone floor it was on.  Our brand new home.  But that was the contractors fault for not putting a backing in that spot.

DS wound the antique, swiss music box that plays Brahms lalabye less beautifly now.  I want to get it fixed some day.  he felt so bad

toilett paper holder is looser because of them changing the roll.

PLANTS IN THE GARDEN!! drives me nutty

toys

stains on clothes

cup holder in back seat of car

#41 of 53 Old 08-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

My ds1 is a teen now but when he was about 18 mos or so I took my eyes off of him just long enough to wash a few dishes and he got his finger under the edge of the vinyl floor and pulled up a huge chunk...like a few square feet, just ripped it right off!

A few weeks later he got hold of a baseball and pitched it right through a window.

My friend's son came over to play and destroyed a gooseneck lamp in ds2's room.

Bring back the old MDC
#42 of 53 Old 08-01-2011, 04:45 PM

Okay, I've read this entire thread and I've concluded that I'm raising an weirdo.  DD hasn't destroyed anything!  In fact, she is terribly conscience of her stuff and other people's stuff.  All her toys and materials are strictly organized, and when other kids come over and start throwing stuff around, she starts hyperventilating.  It's true.  Everything has to be extremely neat and organized.  Our stuff, her stuff, the cat's stuff.  DH is a librarian and I have my own space issues, so maybe it rubbed off onto DD.  Everything is sorted and in its place.  Yeah, I gotta weirdo on my hands.  After reading this thread I'm pretty convinced that our lives aren't normal.  wild.gif  Do you think she'll be a serial killer?

Edited to say (after thinking about this in the shower) that I think respect for property is respect for the environment.  I'm sure I'll get flamed in multiple posts below because I know this is a cute thread about the things that our cute kids destroy.  That being said, everything that gets destroyed goes to landfills if not recycled.  My apologies for being a downer but I really do think that kids can understand the meaning of respecting other peoples' stuff as well as their own.  While destruction may be cute, I think there are valuable lessons to be learned from conservation and respect.  That's just me...sorry to derail thread.

erinsmom1996 likes this.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#43 of 53 Old 08-02-2011, 03:15 PM

My kids aren't really very destructive, but DS did break a pane of glass in our French doors by chucking a toy car through it. Man, was that ever a PITA to fix.

Other than that...gosh, I can't think of much. The carpet is trashed, but that was incremental. lol.gif They drew on the walls more than once. DD cut her own hair. Oh, miniblinds. They have a thing about killing miniblinds.

Catscradle, I think some of this is inborn (some kids just have this...impulse to destroy) and some is parenting style, size of house, # of kids, etc. I think kids like yours who have all their stuff organized are rare and are generally more born than made. However, some of it is probably what you ler them play with. My kids have never harmed my cell phones, probably because honestly I never let them touch them (unless they are talking to someone while I stand right there). However, I know other people let their kids use them and that's their choice, YK?

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#44 of 53 Old 08-02-2011, 03:26 PM

An expensive gold Omega chain worth about 1000 dollars.  When I yelled "OMG!! That thing cost almost 1000 dollars!" My son's (5yo at the time) reply was "When did you used to be rich?" 

and a laptop "Hey mom, look, these two magnets hold together through your computer!!"

And I've got a few names carved into some nice pieces of furniture.  It's always funny how they try to deny doing thoseeyesroll.gif

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#45 of 53 Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 PM

My daughter has never broken anything - very careful.

My youngest son, however, now has a complex about glass.  He has broken three windows, a mirror and one glass cabinet case.  2 years old he was playing kitty scratching at the window (didn't know his own strength). At 3 years old my oldest son wouldn't let him in the door and his fist cracked the glass knocking.  The same window got it half a year later with a snowball and it broke all the way.  This year (at age 6, just before turning 7) in the same month, he cracked one window (played frisbee, aimed wide), broke a mirror (doing a "ninja move") and broke the cabinet door (play acting being a knight)  He hasn't really broken anything else, and was desperately sorry (even willing to help do work in lieu of pay) these last three incidents.  He says the "glass doesn't like him".

When our oldest son was a toddler we couldn't look away one second.  He was always putting stuff into and onto things - cheese slices in the VCR, potatoes in the washing machine, juice in the keyboard, his name on the wall.  Like the OP, everything was up (mostly on the fridge and on top of cupboards).  He was pretty school age before anything was safe (I had to take him to the bathroom with me - it was that bad).

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#46 of 53 Old 08-03-2011, 11:07 AM

My 5 year old has shut the garage door twice on my minivan trunk while it's still open. Just reinforces why I wanted to buy a used car. Of course each time it was an accident and otherwise my 2 don't really destroy anything. For the most part they're pretty careful.

#47 of 53 Old 08-05-2011, 11:47 AM

My son has not destroyed much :-) Except my favorite poster. It's the Flaming June poster, that I had rolled up stored in the closet. DS had randomly decided to wrap something as a gift and cut up the poster for the gift wrap. I was devastedly shocked for the first 10 seconds but then realized I had to completely let the situation go..... If I was 4 I would have thought it was wrapping paper too. And the gift was for me, so that kinds melted my heart.

Now the cats on the other hand - naughty, naughty, naughty !

Rhianna

#48 of 53 Old 08-05-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

My son has not destroyed much :-) Except my favorite poster. It's the Flaming June poster, that I had rolled up stored in the closet. DS had randomly decided to wrap something as a gift and cut up the poster for the gift wrap. I was devastedly shocked for the first 10 seconds but then realized I had to completely let the situation go..... If I was 4 I would have thought it was wrapping paper too. And the gift was for me, so that kinds melted my heart.

Now the cats on the other hand - naughty, naughty, naughty !

Rhianna

Tell me about it!  Our 11-month-old kitten has caused more mayhem than I'd like to acknowledge.  We love her, though!

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#49 of 53 Old 08-05-2011, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first child broke a recliner, and now my second child has followed suit and has also broken a recliner.
#50 of 53 Old 08-08-2011, 04:10 AM

the bathroom sink (I walked in to find a HOLE in it...and no one would fess up)

two toilets

a recliner (no longer  recliner if you catch my drift)

multiple walls....drawn on, holes put in them, etc....

a bed room rug

numerous movies

the entire contents of my makeup bag

plenty of books

a fridge

2 coffee tables

a weedeater

many potted plants

my organic wildflower garden

my laptop is missing 8 keys

a guitar

two beds

three dresser drawers

trampoline

etc etc etc

I have 5 boys. I fear it will only get worse as they get bigger and more creative......I now seriously only buy furniture that i SOLID and indestructible. lol I own a coffee table that I find frankly ugly, but that baby will still be standing after the ten billionth leap off of the top of it when somone believes themselves capable of flight. :)I jokingly tell ppl we plan on buying a home that is mad out of solidconcrete, funiture and all. lol We are currently trailer-dwelling.....do they make these walls out of cardboard or what? :)

My favorite are the names written on walls. The person WITH the name ALWAYS denies it. One time I became a detective and matched the writingto the culprit in an elaborate line-up scene. The next day that exact same child wrote "Mommy" on a wall and accused ME. Not kidding. Theyre not just destructible, theyre smart too. grrrrrrrr

#51 of 53 Old 08-08-2011, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My husband is self-employed.  About a year ago, he got a great deal online and bought himself his first brand-new (not second-hand or refurbished) laptop, for work.  He'd only had it 2 weeks when our 2-y-o son threw a toy all the way across the room, hitting a coffee mug on my husband's desk at just the perfect angle to pour the coffee all over the laptop keyboard.  (Thankfully, the computer was replaced under warranty!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

...It makes me wonder how Victorian families preserved so many heirlooms.

I'm pretty sure Victorian families are the root of most of our modern psychoses!  Not only did they manage to keep homes that seem cluttered with pretty little ornate, decorative, flouncy things, but they expected even toddlers in high chairs to eat neatly.  No one could possibly pull that off, without instilling some serious psychological damage to their children, could they?

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
#52 of 53 Old 08-08-2011, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonia Starr View Post
My favorite are the names written on walls. The person WITH the name ALWAYS denies it. One time I became a detective and matched the writing to the culprit in an elaborate line-up scene. The next day that exact same child wrote "Mommy" on a wall and accused ME. Not kidding.
biglaugh.gif

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
#53 of 53 Old 08-08-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonia Starr View Post

My favorite are the names written on walls. The person WITH the name ALWAYS denies it. One time I became a detective and matched the writingto the culprit in an elaborate line-up scene. The next day that exact same child wrote "Mommy" on a wall and accused ME. Not kidding. Theyre not just destructible, theyre smart too. grrrrrrrr

This is the BEST.ROTFLMAO.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page