What Have Your Kids Destroyed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 06-22-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

While perusing a favorite website, I got inspired to come to MDC and hear from everybody here.  

I really want to get an upright piano, but I just KNOW that they will both bang on it and climb on top of it.  I want to put little solar stick lights in my yard, but I just KNOW that they will yank them out of the ground and use them in a "sword" fight.  How do I know?  Because they have destroyed COUNTLESS possessions of ours.  Nothing---but NOTHING--is sacred around here.  It makes me wonder how Victorian families preserved so many heirlooms.

So tell me, what have your kids destroyed?  What were they doing that led to its destruction?  Do you remember the days when you FIRST became a parent?  Do you remember how naive you were about objects you thought you could safely store at kid-level?  Please post so that I don't feel so alone in this.... wild.gif

Lighthearted replies only, please! 

I'll get the ball rolling with a list of what my kids have ruined:

1. Two bottles of wine before we finally got smart enough to stop using the wine rack and store wine on the top shelf of the pantry.  (My house is VERY top heavy with various objects.  Everything seems to have moved upward.  Funny that! headscratch.gif)

2. One giant potted tree that they dumped over while rough-housing. 

3. Cassette tapes of Daddy's radio show that he did in college and was so proud of.  greensad.gif

4. Books.  Lots and lots of Mommy's books.  Torn pages, colored "pictures," you name it....

5. DD's window box (painted white, of course eyesroll.gif) with black Sharpie markers.

6. One unidentified culprit unraveled a really complicated lace shawl that I was knitting.  irked.gif

7. And the winner is.....an 1876 clock.  Repaired, thank heavens, but that was one expensive repair. 

OK, who's next?  love.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#2 of 53 Old 06-22-2011, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ditto on the books!

The only thing that really bugged me was when my cell phone went for a swim in the toilet. The recently used, and not flushed, toilet.

It didn't survive the ordeal ;)

#3 of 53 Old 06-22-2011, 02:37 PM

um, I know you said to keep it light, but my house....  Lost everything in a fire but on the flip side I didn't have to pay to remodel/update  my 30 yo house!

#4 of 53 Old 06-22-2011, 02:55 PM

This was really  my fault because I should have known better, but the worst thing that ever happend was we had just sold our house and my son, then 6 got out his chalk board and started drawing.   the chalk powder fell all over the beige  carpet. I, what and idiot I was, tried to clean it up by wiping it up rather than vacuming it, and a large colored stain appeared all over the rug that would not come out. The real estate agent insisted tha I had to repalce the carpet.

#5 of 53 Old 06-22-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

um, I know you said to keep it light, but my house....  Lost everything in a fire but on the flip side I didn't have to pay to remodel/update  my 30 yo house!

Oh yuck!  I wasn't expecting an answer this.....drastic!!  I'm so sorry you went through that.  hug2.gif

"Lighthearted" just means non-debatey.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#6 of 53 Old 06-22-2011, 03:03 PM

DS drooled inside my cellphone and fried it. eyesroll.gif

sleepytime.gif
#7 of 53 Old 06-22-2011, 04:07 PM

1 laptop

1 car stereo - they inserted about 20 bucks worth in change over the course of a year before we realized what was going on and pulled the thing out

Several ski poles - don't ask

1 Bose stereo - no kids, it isn't waterproof

The brand new carpeting in their tv/lounge room (only room in the house with carpet and they unraveled it....somehow??)

The sacred circle in my brother's Hindu wedding ceremony - barefoot ONLY - my DS tromps through with his flip flops on - kind of a running joke in the family now

Numerous fishing rods, lines and tackle

Several bicycle pumps

Too many white t shirts to mention

Pretty much all our cd's/dvd's

1 brand new natural finish cherry wood floor - decorated with red permanent marker (actually it's completely faded now thank goodness)

1 camera

LOTS of toys - if it's plastic with moving parts it usually had a limited life span around here

The paint on my new SUV (yeah kid, I KNOW you can print your name but WHY must you scratch it into the side of my truck???!!)

Our plumbing - due to numerous flushings of large non poop related objects - that was a fun day!

There's more but I'm starting to get a little wigged out seeing only this in print......

They're older now, so more .... careful? maybe? or perhaps just more mature, or just BTDT and really don't need to break anything else??

Oh, and my sanity.winky.gif

#8 of 53 Old 06-22-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:

I'm so sorry to hear that. It must have been beyond difficult. I'm assuming since you posted here that one of your kids started the fire. Poor entire family!

lady.gif
#9 of 53 Old 06-22-2011, 06:33 PM

ok lets see:

they have slowly dug a hole in the couch under the cushions by poking things through the fabric. We have already had it redone once but the hole is back bigger than ever. 2 yr old also likes poking holes in our screen door with a screwdriver he steals from Daddy's tool box 

several keys ripped off my laptop

dvds scratched beyond repair

wii game remotes broken

clothesline now lopsided due to swinging on it.

I'm sure there's more but that will do! 

#10 of 53 Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 PM

many potted plants

my walls are covered in marker

DH painstakingly sorted probably millions of cards (I'm not kidding, it took him over 10 years to collect them) and DS#2 dumped the whole thing on our bedroom floor

there are knitting needles in my wall

2 cellphones

lots and lots of broken toys

lots and lots of broken dishes and glasses

a pair of my glasses

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#11 of 53 Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Dd put a big hole in the porcelain sink of a house we were renting when she threw a glass into it.

Dd dropped dh's iPad and shattered the screen, the first week he got it

A week or two later ds threw my iPhone and shattered the screen

Ds also drooled so much on dh's iPhone that the speaker stopped working

Numerous items of clothing have been cut with scissors, colored with sharpie or otherwise stained

The carpet in the aforementioned rental house has had numerous food and beverages spilled on it and it is probably stained beyond repair.

I'll probably come back andbpost more as I think of them

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#12 of 53 Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 PM

The indestructible Casio G'zone cell phone is NOT microwavable.  Ask me how I know eyesroll.gif

Anne Belt likes this.
#13 of 53 Old 06-23-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipermuse View Post

Dd dropped dh's iPad and shattered the screen, the first week he got it

A week or two later ds threw my iPhone and shattered the screen

An Otterbox case really helps protect the iPad. My 5 yr old DS has dropped his iPad multiple times and it's still in good, working condition so far.

#14 of 53 Old 06-23-2011, 03:05 AM

funny thread.

OK I don't want to jinxs myself, but my kids have never really ruined anything. Once my 4yo drew on her shirt, she was probably 2 or 3, and I told her we don't draw on clothes, only paper, and that was the end of it. They use their sidewalk chalk outside, and their markers on paper inside, water stays in the sink.... They have ocasionally broken a toy or two by accident, but then again I have as well.

My kids are ABSOLUTELY NOT saints, nor neat, so I don't know what magic trick I have? headscratch.gifwinky.gif Maybe because I have a ton of artwork hung around the house, and they know not to ruin it? Or maybe because they know what a pita it is to have to clean up their mess. Or maybe it's just luck of the draw.

#15 of 53 Old 06-23-2011, 04:58 AM

When my youngest was two, we were visiting my parent's house--he finished his food and left the table to go play with his beloved alphabet puzzle (so I thought).  It was reeaaaaaallly quiet in the living room, so we all started saying "Hmmmm, maybe someone ought to check on Biruk". 

Well, I finally did, and found him standing in front of my sister's laptop, with about half the letter keys strewn on the coffee table next to it.  I nearly died.

He had pried all those letters off, and when he looked at me, he had a look of total pride on his face.  I am pretty sure he thought it was some new-fangled kind of alphabet puzzle, a new challenge.

My sister was very gracious, and the laptop survived.  They got all but 3 of the keys reattached, and she used it for a year after that, and then passed it on to me.   :)

#16 of 53 Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My waistline

CatsCradle, Turquesa and Imakcerka like this.
#17 of 53 Old 06-23-2011, 07:33 AM

Books and papers. When dd was a baby/toddler she would chew on books. Once a library book. She has drawn on, ripped or chewed on other papers.
Photographs. Dd has drawn on or otherwise destroyed several photographs.

Clothing. Dd has cut or drawn on clothing. She has cut the feet off of brand new tights.

Dolls. No arms, legs and drawn on. Very sad sight.

The wall paper in the upstairs hall apparently had come loose slightly so dd ripped off a section. She also dabbed green paint on it and drew on it.

Window blinds and shades.

The miniature china tea set that my grandmother had left me when she died. It was on a very high shelf but dd got it anyway.

Dvd remote. Dd spilled milk on it. We had to get a new one.

Game controllers. She has broken a few.

Broken jewelry.

Also killed one blender by I believe dumping juice and fish food in the base.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#18 of 53 Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 AM

Add me to the list of laptops with missing keys! The one I am on right now is missing a shift and the enter key...it's like he plotted which one's would be the most missed mischievous.gif

My scriptures have damage done from each child. DS1 and DD both tore pages which are still tucked in where they go years later waiting to be taped, and DS2 and 3 both colored in them.

The seats of my poor vehicle. They are stained and the cushions are totally shot from carseats in the middle row. When we go to trade it in, I think we better have it appraised with the seats still installed!

One of the doors on our TV stand has a broken hinge. The door was left open and someone ran right smack into it!

Someone scratched "I love" into one of the closet doors upstairs. They must have gotten interrupted because that is as far as it goes. I guess we'll never know the rest...

#19 of 53 Old 06-23-2011, 08:16 AM

my youngest gave my cell phone a bath a few years ago.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#20 of 53 Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh my goodness.

Ipod touch
Prescription glasses
Game Cube (already obsolete at the time)
Many books
An expensive chair
Several dishes
A dresser (broke a drawer)
Headphones

There are probably other things.
#21 of 53 Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM

Ouch to the Bose stereo there... 

mostly books, torn the covers off of paperbacks and stuff. my first cellphone got drooled on once too much and fried, while my husband was gone for six months.. sigh. lots of bouqets and stuff. Scrapbook paper

#22 of 53 Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 AM

The Wii. Twice. 

Dog crate. 

Cabinet doors. 

Dresser. 

Countless toys. 

Garden hose. 

Couch. 

Two armchairs. 

Airport Express. 

Two DVD players. 

Cooler.

Set of outdoor solar lights(you're right, these are a bad idea). 

Countless wine glasses. 

Oh, geez, I could go on and on. 

#23 of 53 Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Wow, my son was/is evidently amazingly undestructive!

He did make one snip with scissors into my mom's Navajo rug.  That was probably the worst thing he did.  He chipped the bathtub when I gave him metal measuring cups to play with in the tub when he was in the banging stage.  He accidentally made a scratch in my eyeglasses, once.   Dh has broken more dishes than he has...

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#24 of 53 Old 06-23-2011, 03:04 PM
DBZ

full grown sunflowers

pictures

toys

stereo

vcr

a bed frame 

disney figurines

countless CDs and VCR tapes

perscription glasses (at least twice)

freshly baked cupcakes that were meant for the class

one kid cut her hair a lot and badly

one kid ended up breaking the others arm

the list could go on 

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#25 of 53 Old 06-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Love this thread, aww the memories it bring back!

My list;

My carpet

my couch and recliners

DD2 recently "painted" herself, bathroom cabinets and floor with a very pricey lotion-that was fun to clean up!

DS once took sharpie to my couch and himself

All our babies have writing on them

my sister made a beautiful quilt for her cradle and she took scissors to it

green acrylic paint on our rental's carpet!

sugar (whole bag) on the said rentals carpet

Dh was holding baby DD2 and she had just had a bath so was naked. He had her in the crack of the rocker next to him and she shot breast fed poo through the crack into the chair and onto the floor beneath!

DH was "watching" DS while I was a a LLLI meeting and he pooed and "painted" the end table and side of recliner with it.

I know there are more but I can't think of them

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#26 of 53 Old 06-23-2011, 05:08 PM

So many things! DS1and DD didn't do much, but the twins? Oh my!

Most impressive? At 15 months, the figured out how to open the baby gate at the top of the stairs. Then they both stood on it, swung out over the stairs (which it wasn't supposed to do) and jumped on it until it ripped the giant expansion bolts straight out of the wall. Huge, gaping holes in the wall.

Subsequently, they have pushed each other down these stairs and gotten to ride in the ambulance to the hospital. Loss of consciousness and broken noses all around!

My sanity and nerves are broken.
Forever.
And they are only 2.5 yo.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#27 of 53 Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:

How scary but I can relate only in a minor sense. 

DH used to drive truck when he first graduated high school and so all his clothes and special items to him was in his truck. I mean he lived in it Sunday to Saturday. We were out doing wedding stuff. And our nephew(3 yrs at the time) started his bed on fire left. Went asked grandma for something to eat and said oh yeah Uncle's truck is on fire. and went back to go eat. This had been his 3rd fire he set. 2 others being the house. And 1 after being the camper. DH smokes so he had tons of lighters on his dash. Rule was he was not allowed to go into the trucks at all. His mom left and didn't tell anyone she was leaving him either so MIL had no idea he was still around to watch him. DH lost everything.

As far as stuff DD has ruined. I would have to say my cell phone while still works its on its last life and I am praying it holds out till next summer when my upgrade is here. 

And the TV remote. We have to bang it on our hand to get it to turn the channel or pull the guide up. Its all from drool too

She also destroyed her mobile in protest to taking a nap. 

Everything else of value I have up at this point. But she is also only 9 months so it has yet to really begin..lol 

#28 of 53 Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 AM

I might add something an older neighbor did. This was several years back, they could not get the VCR to work. Tried and Tried. Took it in to repair. The reason it did not work- the poptart in the carrier their grand daughter who was 3 at the time put in. They think it was there about a week before they discovered it was broke....

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#29 of 53 Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 AM

So tell me, what have your kids destroyed?

My body and my mind.

And, lots of other stuff.  Furniture.  Window screens.  Curtains.  You name it, they've destroyed it, or part of it, or are likely to any day now.  

But, it gives me an opportunity to learn to fix something new, or dispose of something else that is cluttering up my very cluttered home.  And, while they may have destroyed my body and mind, they keep my heart full!

#30 of 53 Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

My daughter just used her little crummy kid super non sharp art scissors to cut the curtain in our hotel room.  :(  This is going to be expensive.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page