coping skills whilst in the throes of anger of almost 9 year old dd - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

dd a high needs baby has always been a v. intense child. 

but i notice that lately the depth of feeling her anger has gone up exponentially. 

she just feels anger so so so v. intensely.

how do i help her with coping skills while angry. how do i get her to keep her cool and not lose her head. i want to start some coping skills now. she doesnt have to be successful all the time.

there is one thing she already gets - that words hurt a lot so she always goes off to be alone when she is in the throes of anger. if i go near her she tells me to stay away so she doesnt say anything she will regret later.

she has also discovered lately that the best thing for her is to write a letter to me or to the person who she is angry with. last night she got REALLY angry with me and so she wrote her letter and then we discussed it and within minutes she felt fine. 

the 3 golden rules are still hugely important - rest, food, exercise and when either of these are out of whack it shows.

she needs something physical. she cannot do breathing or even meditate. she has tried. like she describes it, she needs 'it' out. so some kind of physical outlet i am imagining? the other day seh was trying to kick the pillows and by accident kicked the wall and sprained her big toe. 

thoughts, suggestions most welcome.. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page