How loud is your home? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 06-29-2011, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I prefer noise sometimes. I like knowing my children are here and happy. I do not prefer the noise of fighting of course and sometimes cannot stand when they wrestle and chase each other. But otherwise, the sounds are not bad at all. I am used to it.

#32 of 43 Old 06-29-2011, 10:12 AM

Tired before 9 am, lol, yes, I am exhausted, especially because we wake up any time between 4 and 5 am on any given day... they can't sleep any later... If by weird freak chance I get to sleep in until 6 am I consider that an awesome start to the day! Today DS was up at 2:15 am and jumped in DD's bed, waking her up. And we haven't been back to sleep since! No matter when they go to sleep that's when they get up. Really. We usually have lunch around 10 am lol.

coolshine.gif
#33 of 43 Old 06-29-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mine were 4-5 am akers until just recently.  I don't know what happened, but they have been sleeping in until 8!    8:00 am!   That's totally unheard of around here.  

#34 of 43 Old 06-29-2011, 11:57 AM

Sweet!!! joy.gif I'm gonna sleep vicariously through you lol

coolshine.gif
#35 of 43 Old 06-29-2011, 02:15 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Thank you for the hope.  I'm going to be blunt. smile.gif  If  you repeatedly reminding your children to lower their voices actually worked, you got lucky.  Yes, as they grow kids do usually develop the ability to modulate their volume some.  My impression from your words is that you think if a child isn't lowering their voice it's because the parent simply isn't doing anything about it.   Do you believe that with any given 'loud' child it really is that simple?  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you. 

I think you've read into my words. My original point is that my kids did not come out of the womb as quiet people. They were noisy youngsters who have grown into fairly quiet teenagers. Whether that has anything to do with my actions is debatable, which I said in my second post.

I know plenty of adults who talk too loudly, so I don't necessarily think that learning how to moderate one's volume comes naturally. Nor did I say that people with loud kids are just sitting there allowing them to be loud, but I have seen that, too.

Please don't take offense as none was intended. I was merely saying that I did make an effort to quiet my kids, and they did become quiet. We know that correlation does not equal causation, but it didn't hurt me to try.

#36 of 43 Old 06-30-2011, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

we are loud. Right now, my son is eating; my husband is making truck noises and my daughter is grunting. I sing a lot in the home. I grew up in a very loud house-- music *always* on, my mom always singing; the sound of the pressure cooker, my grandma's bangle gangling, brothers, sister's, cousins playing.

Our good friends growing up had a quiet house and it used to freak me out a bit.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#37 of 43 Old 06-30-2011, 10:04 PM

Seawitch, power to ya sister.. I don't know how well I could handle that! 

treehugger.gifMama to a beautiful baby girl diaper.gif.. Ava,   born 8/21/10!  saynovax.gif

#38 of 43 Old 07-01-2011, 05:42 AM

Four dogs.

Chickens EVERYWHERE around the house.

A mama who is always busy cooking, caring for/butchering/breeding animals....so, tied down to what she is doing....DD is ALWAYS busy "working" in the coop or feeding things or collecting wood or whatever and DS is constantly crying or chattering with DD. We're always yelling at each other from the chicken coop to the house...from the kitchen to the back yard, from upstairs to down, into the woods from the porch for the kids to come home, etc etc. When we're mad we yell sometimes, when we're happy we sing loudly...we're just loud. My DH is a more quiet type, but gets loud when he's playing with the kids...I'm just a naturally gregarious and passionate person and yeah, I'm loud.

But we live in the middle of the woods and the critters around our house don't mind, because they're loud too. We spend time being peaceful, for sure, when we rest or lay in the sun on the back porch and listen to the wind chimes or whatever else....but when we are a busy household going about our daily work of living, we're loud.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#39 of 43 Old 07-01-2011, 03:41 PM

My house is loud and we only have one 5 yo DS. DH and I are both quiet people. It's only quiet when DS's not home or asleep. But he talks non-stop at full volume and is very active, running around, bouncing on furniture, etc. Some one said to me on a airplane recently "he only has 1 volume, doesn't he?". And then when the cousins or neighbors kids are over it's deafening. I thought part of the problem is our floor plan. Main level 1400 sq feet, but very open. No hall ways in our 90 year old bungalow. Master bedroom door opens from living room. Jack and Jill bathroom- one side opening into master, the other into the landing off the kitchen. DS's room opens off kitchen nook. We also have an office off the dining room. Hard wood floors throughout. DS runs through the house doing laps, kitchen, dining room, living room, master bed, bath room, kitchen. Have tried to get DH and DS in habit of closing the bathroom doors (even when not in use) and bed room doors. But DS slams doors. Shakes the windows. We do have a partially finished basement with nice size guest room and bath. Thinking or converting guest room to a combination play room/guest room. but not sure how to fit the queen size bed in along with seating. Would love to put the TV down there. Plan to move DS down there when he's a teenager. But for now, I always know where my kid is and what he's doing! If it's quiet, he's probably gone out the back door. The other thing that bothers me is a complete lack of privacy.

#40 of 43 Old 07-02-2011, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

When I was a kid I was the quiet one (mumbler) in a very loud family.  Now we are all pleasantly loud. :)  I learned how to project from stage managing dance recitals for kids.  Holy moly that was LOUD.  When I taught high school they would use me to quiet every one down for rallys because everyone in the room could hear me when I decided to get loud.  

That said, I have very sensitive hearing.  If people are too loud near my head it hurts horribly.  I went to a club a few nights ago (I'm traveling internationally!  Gotta find out what the queer scene is like!) and my ears are still ringing and I can barely hear everyone.  It sucks.  So we do a lot of practicing inside/outside voices.  If you really really really just gotta be loud, I get that.  Let's go outside. :)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#41 of 43 Old 07-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My daughter has been narrating her life to song for the last four years. We recently watched 'Annie' and she said "This kid sings more than *I* do!!" (and I thought "Uuummmmm... no. Not even close.") My son can talk your ear off, but at a normal volume... unless we're out in public, where he has to be asked to speak up. SO doesn't know how to speak normally... even when we're talking in bed, it feels like he's blasting my ear drums out! DS and I are definitely the quieter ones... we're both usually in a hurry to leave restaurants to escape the noise! He wakes up early, and I think he likes having quiet time to himself. But we all have our moments... on game nights, we all get very noisy. Same with dinner time, that's always loud... we had friends over last night and one of the guys opted to eat in the yard by himself (oops!) Or the kids and I watching TV, will be hollering at it or killing ourselves laughing. SO has his fancy speakers on his computer downstairs and the floor will rumble when he's playing a game. The kids get noisy when they're playing, and occasionally I'll have someone pop their head in the kitchen and ask if I dropped something while I'm putting pots and pans away or something like that. I yell instructions from the other room at top volume often... I think we're pretty loud overall. 

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#42 of 43 Old 07-13-2011, 07:20 PM

Our home is both. I HAVE to have some quiet, and DD does lots of crafts and is usually pretty quiet, except when she's singing. And boy does she sing and play the piano as loudly as possible. She also yells spontaneusly an Avatar like yelp. eyesroll.gif DH also has the t.v. on continuosuly. So I have to getaway to my room or reading nook to get some peace sometimes.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#43 of 43 Old 07-14-2011, 02:11 PM

my house is quiet when my kids are either napping or asleep at night, other than that.. i dont know the meaning of quiet..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page