How loud is your home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 06-24-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I grew up in a mostly quiet family. There were occasional raised voices, but it was VERY rare, and only when people were angry. I tend to be quiet myself.  I like silence or maybe very understated music in the background.   DH is fairly quiet, and while he does like loud music at times- he restricts it to the car or somewhere away from me. 

My children- are less quiet.  One of them is very quiet, but the other two seem to think that making noise is a necessary part of every activity. Because DS 1 has a speech delay, I've had to make it a point to narrate things more, and to talk more, and I do although it feels very unnatural to me. (He's my quiet guy. After over a year of multiple therapies, he's doing better with language development, but he still is, and probably always be, a quiet person.)

My oldest child- insists on talking all. the. time.  Constantly talking, and her voice modulation gets away from her.  Or maybe I am just too sensitive.  I tend to speak in a fail low and quiet voice unless I need to speak to a crowd.  She tends to speak at a much higher volume all the time.  Not necessarily yelling, just- loud.  I ask her to be quiet a lot. 

My youngest is just a lively toddler.  He isn't terribly loud, but has his moments.  I can deal with that though as it's getting much better as he's getting more words. 

I go to other people's homes and am often struck by the sheer volume.  Our house is often silent, as was the house I grew up in.  This feels normal and natural to me.  What is your house like in terms of noise level?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 06-24-2011, 01:58 PM

I've been told that our house is quiet.

It is pretty quiet right now. All I hear right now is the fan.

When I cook or clean I turn on the radio.

The tv isn't on much. Dd and I watched something together earlier- loud enough to hear in the room but not upstairs or other parts of the house.

Dd is quiet when she isn't mad or excited about something. She has periods when she is talkative and periods when she does not talk much.

There are a few people who just have loud houses. I'm not sure if it is the fact that they are used to talking over the tv that is always on or what.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#3 of 43 Old 06-24-2011, 02:04 PM

We have a loud house. I think you can hear us from down the street. My extended family is loud, DH's extended family is loud, my kids come by it naturally.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#4 of 43 Old 06-24-2011, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My husband is very quiet, my older dd and i are chatty - my voice is loud but hers varies, and the little one is pretty darn quiet like her dad. I guess our house is medium, but there is variation depending on the mood of the intense and dramatic older daughter.
#5 of 43 Old 06-24-2011, 02:13 PM

My boys are 4 and 6. I don't understand how a house can be quiet!  I wish ours was, a lot of the time, but here it's two kids constantly talking, to each other or more likely to me, telling me everything they're doing, asking every possible question, singing some song, giggling with each other, screaming or yelling because someone grabbed something, stomping and running around, playing some pretend game that only they understand, etc. etc.!!!  Add ME shouting over that to try to get their attention to either tell the grabber not to grab, or say dinner is ready or whatever.... this place is pretty loud. I put on the tv for them so I get some quiet. DH doesn't like all the noise, it seems pretty normal to me at this point, but I sure do cherish the quiet times, which usually come in bursts of 5 or 10 minutes when they both happen to be absorbed in books.

Barefoot~Baker likes this.
#6 of 43 Old 06-24-2011, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We have a very loud house.  There's no TV on, the radio is usually only on when I'm working in the kitchen, my kids are just loud.  It's usually only quiet after they go to bed, that's when I enjoy some quiet reading time with my Kindle.  I also grew up in a quiet house and do miss the quiet quite often, but that's just not where we are right now.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#7 of 43 Old 06-24-2011, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Silence is what happens when we go away for the weekend... lol

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#8 of 43 Old 06-24-2011, 07:43 PM

we are LOUD. lol. very loud. tvs on/ music on/ video games on. when we are all outside music is playing outside. we like loud. i actually find silence very uncomfortable and need a radio or tv on low to be able to sleep. we live LOUD. lol

#9 of 43 Old 06-24-2011, 08:06 PM

We are loud.   I have a 7 yo DS who can't always remember to talk in an inside voice.   A 3 1/2 yo diva and a very happy 1 yo.   Plus a dog....   I love the silence of bed time! 

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#10 of 43 Old 06-25-2011, 02:31 AM

We are quiet, but there are low, happy noises in the house when we're home.  We're not loud talkers, listen to a lot of loud music or watch a lot of loud TV.  Dh and I may have a heated discussion at times, but yelling doesn't really happen.  Dh will whistle or hum at times.  Dd likes to pretend play with her dolls and she'll chatter.  We occasionally listen to classical, baroque, jazz, or world music that is very low background music.  There's nothing loud in our lives, though.  If I'm in the kitchen, I'm banging around a bit, I will often turn on some TV.  The TV is almost always muted, though, or I can only barely hear it.  It's not on for noise, but something for me to look at when I'm doing something like chopping a lot of veg or doing other cooking prep.  (And it's usually on the Cooking Channel for ironic redundancy.)  During the school year, when dd is gone all day and dh is at the office, the house is almost zen-like.  We REALLY enjoy our peace and quiet.  I absolutely could not live with daily noise inside the house.  It is like a refuge to us.

Nighttime may actually be our loudest time of the day inside the house because we need some noise to sleep.  We use white noise (fans and the ocean setting on the relaxation noise maker).  During the day, we hear nature (we have a lot of birds), yard work, and traffic, etc. and that's all the noise I need.  Occasionally the neighbors across the street give us some drama for extra noise and I usually have to close the windows when their 13 yo son/step-son shows up with his skateboard.  Beyond that, any more noise and I'd probably be a basket case.  LOL!!

#11 of 43 Old 06-25-2011, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post

We have a very loud house.  There's no TV on, the radio is usually only on when I'm working in the kitchen, my kids are just loud.  It's usually only quiet after they go to bed, that's when I enjoy some quiet reading time with my Kindle.  I also grew up in a quiet house and do miss the quiet quite often, but that's just not where we are right now.

Same here. My older two are so noisy, my toddler is very quiet, but can get to running around yelling if the girls are doing it too. We are certainly the loudest house on the block!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#12 of 43 Old 06-25-2011, 08:31 AM

Freaking loud today.  The TV is on but that is the least of our problems; it's my kids that apparently have lost their voice modulation abilities.  Today they can't just say something, they have to yell it.  It is making me wild.gif and I can't wait to go to work.

#13 of 43 Old 06-25-2011, 09:08 AM

I have an 8, 5 and 3 yr old and our house is loud. I find they are only quiet when the tv is on.

#14 of 43 Old 06-25-2011, 12:27 PM

Our house is pretty quiet. We have one dd, age 5. "TV" is only on the computer and only for an hour a day, so the volume is pretty low and it's not on that much. Dd is a great independent player--she can draw or play with Playmobils or legos by herself for hours. She's also not an especially rough-and-tumble kid--she doesn't jump on the furniture or bang around too much. She is a chatterer--she talks/narrates pretty much non-stop. :lol But she's not very noisy about it and she rarely yells. Right now, for instance, I can hear just some very low talking as she chats with herself while playing with some Littlest Pet Shop guys--other than that and my typing, the house is completely silent.  Family time when we're at home usually involves stuff like reading, card/board games, art projects, baking, etc. When dd is playing by herself, dh and I are usually reading, working at the computer, or doing chores around the house. We do a decent amount of talking, but none of us are especially loud talkers. 

I'm a true introvert (i.e., not "shy," but I find socializing or being around a lot of people completely drains my energy) and I get incredibly stressed out when I'm around a lot of noisy, chaotic kids. I feel very lucky that dd has a temperment that suits mine so well!

ETA: We live in a TINY house (and soon we'll be moving to an even tinier apartment) so we never have to yell to make sure we're heard. I find that makes a big difference in overall noise levels. 

#15 of 43 Old 06-25-2011, 12:55 PM

My house is LOUD!!! (and I Loooove it!!)  Especially during the week when there's me, two 17 y/o's an 8 y/o, two 7 y/o's, two 3 y/o's, two 2 y/o's and a wee 6 m/o babe. Oh and a dog and two noisy birds fighting to be heard over the racket. It's when it's quiet that I get scared, bad things happen when they all get quiet : )

Barefoot~Baker likes this.
#16 of 43 Old 06-27-2011, 12:39 PM

My house is loud and it makes my brain hurt. I love the time after everyone is in bed and it is completely quiet.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#17 of 43 Old 06-27-2011, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This is a great thread.   I call us The Loud Family.  Though relative to my inlaws we're quiet as the proverbial church mice.  I do insist the TV be off, or the volume down if it's on, whereas the inlaws tend to have the TV on all the time, and up LOUD. 

But 12 y.o. ds has very poor volume control and he's so chatty!  He's always set to eleven, and we're always asking him to lower the volume.  And when the four of us are arguing, or even just talking animatedly, look out! It gets loud!  I can't help but compare us to the family across the street with the shy teen daughters who never say a word. We must sound like nut balls, affectionately arguing loudly with each other in the front yard, hollering at the dog to get out of the street.  I have noticed that of the neighbors immediately around us, none of them are out in their yards doing anything or interacting with each other like we are. 

So Saturday morning dh and I both watched this curvy, pretty blonde gal on FoodTV make peanut butter fudge brownies.  Dh was basically in love (chocolate, peanut butter, busty gal -what's not to love?) so while we were both doing yard work in the front yard he jokingly wondered if she's married. To which I loudly responded 'You're still married to me, Dude. Doesn't matter what state in the union we live in, you still can't marry your peanut butter fudge bint unless you divorce ME first!'  And Dear Husband pointed out the poor woman jogging by at that very moment who probably heard me affectionately threatening my husband with divorce, and we about fell over each other laughing. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#18 of 43 Old 06-27-2011, 04:55 PM

I am very quiet. Grew up in a quiet house. Pre-kids we were a very quiet couple. That changed the minute DS was out - he started wailing and didn't stop for the first year and a half. The hospital staff told us that kids who cried as much as him were hotlisted in their pediatrician files as potential abuse victims because it was so stressful on the parents. He screamed full-on for a good 12-16 hours a day minimum from newborn onwards - typically more like 18 hours. I lost hearing partially because of always pacing around with him screaming in my arms.

Now 4, DS is still a screamer. Except he doesn't cry much or anything - just that everything he says comes out in a scream. We basically had to move out of our apartment because he was too loud. (We weren't forced out but my social anxiety just was too much and the neighbors were always complaining about us and why we don't try to "control" our kids... When all day we did try to.) He has SPD and needs everything to be loud and intense. He and his sister scream all day, every day. Pretty much every day ends with me in tears over how loud they are. When we're in public I try to grin and bear it (well, with constant reminders that they tune out by now to hush) but everyone always comments on how much they talk. They literally never stop. They even talk in their sleep. I timed how long it was quiet in our house even after I specifically told them we have to be quiet now - it was 30 seconds max. We suspect DS has ADHD - his EI therapists said as much but he was too young then to diagnose. Even when he tries to whisper it comes out as a scream. We tried to go to an exhibit at the zoo that asked for quiet - there were like two dozen kids his age there, being quiet - I explained to him why we had to be quiet, the monkeys were sleeping, etc. He screams, monkeys scatter, moms and kids glare at us for frightening them away. Rinse repeat at like every other exhibit practically.

They also run instead of walk. No matter how much we tell them not to. Jump on furniture. Jump just any time. Roll around the room for no reason. Cartwheel. Tumble. They'd swing from the ceiling fans if I let them. On the plus side they get tons of exercise. They're physical. Both learned how to swim within three days of being around my mom's pool. But on the downside there is no controlling them physically. You can't get them to walk. Not even if you give them reasons. Consequences don't make a darn difference. I just gave up a while ago. They won't sit in the bathtub, they won't walk around the poolside, they won't follow basic safety instructions. I feel like a failure but it's really, no matter HOW many times I tell them, quietly, loudly, with a "if you don't sit down you can't play" or whatever... they won't comply. Or they will for 30 seconds and then not. When DD is by herself she's fine, but she copies him, and he really doesn't seem to be able to control himself in any way. I'm pretty darn sure that it's ADHD. It has to be. Diet doesn't make a change, by the way.

My voice is now harsh and shrill from having to scream over them all day. It's demoralizing. If I talk in a normal volume they don't hear me. If I try the "whisper to them" trick - it doesn't work. They are always screaming, screaming, screaming. And then DH screams at me to stop screaming at them all day and then the kids cry because daddy is screaming, and it's just a nuthouse half the time. I'm so glad we're moving to the country cos there maybe they can be as loud as they want to.

I'm an introvert too and it's just so draining to me. I specifically deprive myself of sleep just so I can have an hour or two at night to recharge when everyone is sleeping, just so I get my quiet time. I need it. I need quiet time like I need water. Seriously. redface.gif

coolshine.gif
#19 of 43 Old 06-27-2011, 05:13 PM

Seawitch, you poor thing!  hug.gif 

#20 of 43 Old 06-27-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawitch View Post

I'm an introvert too and it's just so draining to me. I specifically deprive myself of sleep just so I can have an hour or two at night to recharge when everyone is sleeping, just so I get my quiet time. I need it. I need quiet time like I need water. Seriously. redface.gif

This is me, as well. The lack of sleep is catching up with me, but I just can't stand the constant noise. I need to start getting out for evening walks again, I think. DD1 and ds2 are loud, rambuntious kids, and dd1 has taken to practicing the piano for brief periods about 15 times a day. DD2 is just starting to really talk, and yells "no", "help me [random family member]", "let me out", "get me down" and odd little sayings (my favourite is "you are a duckie...you are a cow" in a funny little singsong rhythm) all the time. So, the evenings are the only quiet time I can carve out....unless ds1 gets home, and recharges his highly extraverted batteries by draining my introverted ones. *sigh*

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#21 of 43 Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:

IThey also run instead of walk. No matter how much we tell them not to. Jump on furniture. Jump just any time. Roll around the room for no reason. Cartwheel. Tumble. They'd swing from the ceiling fans if I let them. On the plus side they get tons of exercise. They're physical. Both learned how to swim within three days of being around my mom's pool. But on the downside there is no controlling them physically. You can't get them to walk. Not even if you give them reasons. Consequences don't make a darn difference. I just gave up a while ago. They won't sit in the bathtub, they won't walk around the poolside, they won't follow basic safety instructions. I feel like a failure but it's really, no matter HOW many times I tell them, quietly, loudly, with a "if you don't sit down you can't play" or whatever... they won't comply. Or they will for 30 seconds and then not. When DD is by herself she's fine, but she copies him, and he really doesn't seem to be able to control himself in any way. I'm pretty darn sure that it's ADHD. It has to be. Diet doesn't make a change, by the way.
 redface.gif

This description reminds me a lot of how ds1 is at certain times, and how ds2 isn't naturally like that, but copies the style when they're together.  I will say though that your ds seems more extreme for sure, it must be so hard. There are chunks of time in this house just like what you describe, so I can relate and picture it - but there are plenty of less-chaotic times (still lively and playing and talking, but less out of control) to balance it.  I hope you find some solutions that may help your son, if it is ADHD, and your family sanity!

#22 of 43 Old 06-28-2011, 07:46 PM
2xy

We're pretty quiet. I don't mean that our house is silent. I mean that, for the most part, voices are "inside" quality and TV/video games are kept at a moderate volume. This isn't entirely natural...my kids were taught to keep their voices and noises down, and to be considerate of others' needs for low volume. Sometimes it's loud, like when the kids are playing Guitar Hero or friends are over (earplugs are a staple of mine). But I certainly expect that when I'm asleep and the boys are playing video games at 2am, they had better be respectful enough to be relatively quiet.

I can deal with noisy activities for a while. I really have a problem with people who are unable to control the volume of their voice. It doesn't make me dislike them, but it makes me avoid spending time with them. My DS2 has a good friend who can't seem to just speak in a conversational way....she shouts and hollers all the time, and although I like her as a person, I find it extremely annoying if she's here for extended periods. DH has a friend who is the same way. I'm like, "Dude....I'm sitting right next to you. You don't need to scream at me...." He's sort of embarrassing to go out to eat with, too. If it's a quiet restaurant, people wind up staring at us because he's so loud.

#23 of 43 Old 06-28-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I really have a problem with people who are unable to control the volume of their voice. It doesn't make me dislike them, but it makes me avoid spending time with them.

Yes, imagine if the person with no volume control is your very own beloved child.  Quite the dilemma.

#24 of 43 Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 PM

When its just me and my 2 youngest, its quiet. Maybe a dog barking, or a lamb bleating, sometimes the tv on softly. When my oldest gets home from school the noise level jumps up by quite a bit (he talks ALL THE TIME) and then when dh gets home the noise level goes up again, he is just a loud, dynamic person no matter what he is doing. I much prefer the quiet!

#25 of 43 Old 06-29-2011, 04:17 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Yes, imagine if the person with no volume control is your very own beloved child.  Quite the dilemma.

Both of my kids spoke way too loudly for my tastes when they were young. Repeated reminders to lower their voices seem to have worked; or they just outgrew their need to shout everything they say. There is hope.

#26 of 43 Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

my kids were taught to keep their voices and noises down

Some kids can be taught. Others can't. I imagine that when they are older they might be taught. As it is, we avoid public outings because they are "those kids" that draw stares. I haven't passively ignored the problem. DS was in therapy for his sensory issues. If his therapists couldn't even do it, then I refuse to feel too guilty for not being able to teach him properly. wink1.gif I still hold out hope that one day this too shall pass.

Even when reminded to use indoor voices, he seems unable to modulate. Even when he is "whispering" and trying hard to be quiet, he still shouts. He can't play the quiet-loud game - he is loud, loud. There is no difference. He *thinks* there is a difference but there isn't. So a reminder to "lower your voice" - he cannot physically do it. DD can. He can't. Right now I'm clear across the house (I can see them through sliding doors) and he and his sister are conversing. I can't hear her, and he is responding to her in screams. It's just his normal level.

He also has no internal dialogue. He narrates everything. I get so annoyed at this especially if I'm trying to read to the kids at the same time and DD is sitting there trying to pay attention to the story but he is literally shouting unrelated things at a million miles an hour, like describing the picture, counting things in the picture, talking about how the girl has a green dress and green is a nice color and grass is green and cows eat grass, and, and, and. When the story is about a girl walking to school or something. It's just so distracting. If you tell him to sit still he tries, but he starts right back when the next picture comes up. If I tell him in exasperation that he can't sit with us anymore he starts crying like it's the end of the world - he WANTS to pay attention. He's involved and trying to pay attention but his thoughts are racing and he's shouting everything he thinks. At preschool he got kicked out of one because he wouldn't nap (after six months of them trying to get him to do it, ha, he NEVER napped for me) and during storytime he would just be playing by himself at the back of the room with something else because he couldn't sit still for the story.

He is also unable to feel pain properly, which is good and bad. He can smack himself in the head and be bleeding, and unless he SEES he is hurt he doesn't respond. He literally dented his head on a steel corner thingie when he was a baby and kept right on tumbling. He fell down the stairs a bunch of times and didn't make a whimper. One time it was in front of his therapist and she freaked out, and I basically said it was normal. He'd fly off the top of the playground structure and all the moms would be rushing over to comfort him but he'd just run off like it was nothing. (He was never actually INJURED, of course, but any other kid woulda been wailing their head off.) When he was younger and in swimming classes at the Y, he just kept jumping in the deep water over his head - his teacher was shocked and said usually after one or two incidents kids develop a fear of the water but it just didn't seem to make a difference to him. He just kept doing it. Tastes, too. His first food was a super, super hot jalapeno that he stole off of DH's plate, when he was about 5 months old. We didn't even notice but he was just gumming it. Not crying, just sitting there mouthing it for the longest time. That thing BURNED! He was oblivious to it.

Last night I was thinking about this thread and before bedtime I asked him to try to stay still, and we worked on it for five minutes, and he just can't stay still for any amount of time. I asked him to close his eyes and don't move and he'd be twitching. Some part of him would. And I'd point out that part of him and he'd think about it, you could SEE him think about it, and then some other part would start twitching. It took a good five-six minutes before I got him to relax his WHOLE body for about 15 seconds - and that felt like a huge success!

coolshine.gif
#27 of 43 Old 06-29-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

Both of my kids spoke way too loudly for my tastes when they were young. Repeated reminders to lower their voices seem to have worked; or they just outgrew their need to shout everything they say. There is hope.

Thank you for the hope.  I'm going to be blunt. smile.gif  If  you repeatedly reminding your children to lower their voices actually worked, you got lucky.  Yes, as they grow kids do usually develop the ability to modulate their volume some.  My impression from your words is that you think if a child isn't lowering their voice it's because the parent simply isn't doing anything about it.   Do you believe that with any given 'loud' child it really is that simple?  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you. 

#28 of 43 Old 06-29-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

I need to find a recharge time.  I am very much an introvert, and actually my kids aren't terribly loud, but they are definitely not on my level of peace and quiet. Couple that with living in a small space and my head wants to go 'splodey sometimes. 

I was ok when i was able to stay up for a couple hours of quiet, but my youngest has nixed that plan.  He won't sleep  at night without me (oh pleeeease let this phase pass quickly!) so he is up and chattering until I finally give in and take him to bed with me. 

I know someday I'll miss the noise and activity, but lately I crave the peace and quiet I grew up with. 

#29 of 43 Old 06-29-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Some kids can be taught. Others can't. I imagine that when they are older they might be taught. As it is, we avoid public outings because they are "those kids" that draw stares. I haven't passively ignored the problem. DS was in therapy for his sensory issues. If his therapists couldn't even do it, then I refuse to feel too guilty for not being able to teach him properly. wink1.gif I still hold out hope that one day this too shall pass.

Even when reminded to use indoor voices, he seems unable to modulate. Even when he is "whispering" and trying hard to be quiet, he still shouts. He can't play the quiet-loud game - he is loud, loud. There is no difference. He *thinks* there is a difference but there isn't. So a reminder to "lower your voice" - he cannot physically do it. DD can. He can't. Right now I'm clear across the house (I can see them through sliding doors) and he and his sister are conversing. I can't hear her, and he is responding to her in screams. It's just his normal level.

He also has no internal dialogue. He narrates everything. I get so annoyed at this especially if I'm trying to read to the kids at the same time and DD is sitting there trying to pay attention to the story but he is literally shouting unrelated things at a million miles an hour, like describing the picture, counting things in the picture, talking about how the girl has a green dress and green is a nice color and grass is green and cows eat grass, and, and, and. When the story is about a girl walking to school or something. It's just so distracting. If you tell him to sit still he tries, but he starts right back when the next picture comes up. If I tell him in exasperation that he can't sit with us anymore he starts crying like it's the end of the world - he WANTS to pay attention. He's involved and trying to pay attention but his thoughts are racing and he's shouting everything he thinks. At preschool he got kicked out of one because he wouldn't nap (after six months of them trying to get him to do it, ha, he NEVER napped for me) and during storytime he would just be playing by himself at the back of the room with something else because he couldn't sit still for the story.

He is also unable to feel pain properly, which is good and bad. He can smack himself in the head and be bleeding, and unless he SEES he is hurt he doesn't respond. He literally dented his head on a steel corner thingie when he was a baby and kept right on tumbling. He fell down the stairs a bunch of times and didn't make a whimper. One time it was in front of his therapist and she freaked out, and I basically said it was normal. He'd fly off the top of the playground structure and all the moms would be rushing over to comfort him but he'd just run off like it was nothing. (He was never actually INJURED, of course, but any other kid woulda been wailing their head off.) When he was younger and in swimming classes at the Y, he just kept jumping in the deep water over his head - his teacher was shocked and said usually after one or two incidents kids develop a fear of the water but it just didn't seem to make a difference to him. He just kept doing it. Tastes, too. His first food was a super, super hot jalapeno that he stole off of DH's plate, when he was about 5 months old. We didn't even notice but he was just gumming it. Not crying, just sitting there mouthing it for the longest time. That thing BURNED! He was oblivious to it.

Last night I was thinking about this thread and before bedtime I asked him to try to stay still, and we worked on it for five minutes, and he just can't stay still for any amount of time. I asked him to close his eyes and don't move and he'd be twitching. Some part of him would. And I'd point out that part of him and he'd think about it, you could SEE him think about it, and then some other part would start twitching. It took a good five-six minutes before I got him to relax his WHOLE body for about 15 seconds - and that felt like a huge success!

My quiet guy is similar in many ways regarding the sensory stuff.  He would ONLY eat very spicy foods and a second degree burn was completely unnoticed. He didn't get the boisterous part though- and I suppose I'm lucky in that respect.  The other kids have that enough to make up for him.  My youngest is absolutely fearless and very much a bull in a china shop kid.  He doesn't learn from falling, just repeats it over and over.... 

I can't imagine trying to cope with that all bundled into one kid- I'd be tired before 9 am!

#30 of 43 Old 06-29-2011, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We're a family of six, and half of us are naturally on the quiet side but the other three are LOUD. 

DH was just saying to me the other day (while the two loud children were being especially noisy) that he thinks we're going to be the couple who doesn't know what to do with ourselves when the kids are all grown and out of the house.  I just said, "Speak for yourself!"  I'm going to be saying, "Hear that?  No?  Isn't it nice?" ...and then go read a book, uninterrupted.  

I love my loud children and my loud husband (he plays the drums, of all things), but I need quiet. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page