Is it legal to serve your own children alcohol in your own home? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 07-08-2011, 03:49 AM
2xy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie B. View Post

eyesroll.gif

moon.gif

>
>
>
>

ROTFLMAO.gif

#32 of 50 Old 07-08-2011, 04:02 AM

I never thought about it and have allowed my older boys to have wine if they want it but I should have known that PA is a "no exception" state since they have the govt. monopoly on liquor sales here too. It's ridiculous!
I know that people who have a party with any alcohol given to minors are put right in jail but I doubt they'll come banging down the door for wine with dinner for my own kids.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#33 of 50 Old 07-08-2011, 06:02 AM

In my state it is kept/sold separately and locked up so you have to show an ID in order to get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Curious - if it's illegal to give ANY alcohol to someone under 21, does that include OTC cough syrups that contain alcohol? How many pharmacists check ID for a college student buying Robitussin? 

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#34 of 50 Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 PM

it depends on the state u are in. in michigan its ilegal but in indiana it is legal for your parents to buy and allow their minor childern to drink in their supervision that inculdes even being outside the home. but each state is different

#35 of 50 Old 04-29-2012, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Really!?  I live in Indiana and never heard that was legal!

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#36 of 50 Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 AM

"Many of the states that have chosen to specifically prohibit alcohol consumption by those under age 21 have a variety of exceptions. For example,

Some States allow an exception for consumption when a family member consents and/or is present. States vary widely in terms of which relatives may consent or must be present for this exception to apply and in what circumstances the exception applies. Sometimes a reference is made simply to "family" or "family member" without further elaboration."

A map mid page shows states that do and don't have exceptions http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/LegalDrinkingAge.html

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#37 of 50 Old 04-29-2012, 08:34 AM

Glad we live in TX and can give alcohol to our kids if we want to. We likely won't do that until they are at least 16. My first experience and my brothers' first experience of being drunk was with our parents. It was a hilarious memory and kind of took the "coolness" and taboo out of underage drinking. My mom was pushing margarita after margarita on me, for goodness' sake! This wasn't a common occurance, but we got drunk with our parents about twice a year as older teenagers. We totally plan to do the same with our children. I never binge drank in college and neither did my brothers.

Also, the anti-Catholic sentiment (disguised as jokes) on this thread is totally uncool.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#38 of 50 Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

It's illegal in RI to give alcohol to anyone under the age of 21, unless it's part of the curriculum at a culinary school. Yes, the law specifies that.

This is a blue state, so Big Brother is all up in our business. Lots of laws mean lots of fines and tickets, which means more money for the state house to squander and abuse.

I don't think it has anything to do with it being a "Blue State."  According to this site: http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591 there are 10 states where underage alcohol is prohibited with *no exceptions*:

Alabama

Arkansas

Florida

Idaho

Indiana

Kentucky

Missouri

New Hampshire

Pennysylvania

West Virginia

Washington, D.C.

Colors based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_states_and_blue_states

#39 of 50 Old 04-29-2012, 10:12 AM

As you can tell, there are not only different laws in each state, but a lot of confusion about them.

Here are two easy places to check out your state laws:

http://www.alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/state_profiles_of_underage_drinking_laws.html

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

#40 of 50 Old 04-30-2012, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

As you can tell, there are not only different laws in each state, but a lot of confusion about them.

Here are two easy places to check out your state laws:

http://www.alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/state_profiles_of_underage_drinking_laws.html

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

Thanks, these are interesting! 

I'm in California.  According to the first link underage drinking is allowed if it's at a private location, or a parent or guardian or spouse is present.   So, yeah, I can give my teen a glass of wine if I want to. 

But the second link seems be saying it's only allowed for medical need, to report another underage drinker.  So, no, I can't let my teen have any alcohol in my own home. 

headscratch.gif  I choose the first one! I'd rather believe I can let my child drink something at home with me. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#41 of 50 Old 04-30-2012, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Might not hurt to check your state statutes about once a year as they can change. Ten years ago, when I was a teen, in my state you could serve alcohol to your own children in public or private. I remember going to the bars with my parents when we would visit, and remember drinking at weddings and parties in this state as an older teen in my parents presence. I just checked our laws and now the only exception is in a religious ceremony. It changed some time after I turned 21, but I have no clue when.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#42 of 50 Old 04-30-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post

There's also communion in the Catholic church as an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

According to the above link, my state is not legal even for religious reasons, but some kids still take the wine at my church and every other one I've been to around here. I don't see how it would be constitutional for a state to make a law against that...

I live in Indiana, where one PP said it's legal to give your own kids alcohol under your supervision even outside the home and a different PP said it's absolutely illegal for minors to drink alcohol under any circumstances.  Regardless, every Wednesday morning like clockwork, everyone at our kids' Catholic schools - 1st grade through 12th - lines up and has a sip of wine, then returns to class shortly afterward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

How much alcohol is in that communion wine anyway?   Every year during flu season the minister at our church addresses this myth that germs don't get passed from person to person in the communion cup because the alcohol kills it off.  He says don't kid yourself!  sick.gif Ew.   There isn't enough alcohol in the wine to effectively keep germs from being passed.

Our priest is sensible enough to ask people with a cough, etc., to abstain from the wine.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
#43 of 50 Old 05-01-2012, 05:43 AM

Anecdotally... I've never gotten sick from taking Communion from a common chalice. As my grandmother used to tell me (she was a GP, by the way)... it's all a matter of faith, and with God - all is possible. ;)

VocalMinority likes this.
#44 of 50 Old 06-08-2012, 10:05 AM

i believe that it is legal within your own home and if they are your kids. but you cannot leave the home. if they have any alcohol in their system outside the home, technically that is illegal.

#45 of 50 Old 06-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyZ25 View Post

i believe that it is legal within your own home and if they are your kids. but you cannot leave the home. if they have any alcohol in their system outside the home, technically that is illegal.

It depends where you live. In some US states, that's legal. In others, it's illegal even at home with parental consent. Someone upthread posted a link so you can check the law for each state.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#46 of 50 Old 07-29-2012, 03:33 PM

Can you document that?  I just came to this site from a google search and the link to the IC code above in one of the above posts states that Indiana isa no exceptions state (not even communion, etc).

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591#chart2

#47 of 50 Old 07-29-2012, 03:38 PM

Different wines have different alcohol contents.  I have tasted some pretty strong ones at most catholic churches.  If your drinking grape juice, well, ur out of luck :-)  There is one other "common chalice factor" that I learned.  Some precious metals that are used to plate (or made entirely of) the chalice (silver and gold, for instance) DO kill viruses and bacteria.

#48 of 50 Old 07-29-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Russell View Post

Different wines have different alcohol contents.  I have tasted some pretty strong ones at most catholic churches.  If your drinking grape juice, well, ur out of luck :-)  There is one other "common chalice factor" that I learned.  Some precious metals that are used to plate (or made entirely of) the chalice (silver and gold, for instance) DO kill viruses and bacteria.

My answer that I learned from a good friend is... Don't sit at the back of the church to get the last swills :P

#49 of 50 Old 07-29-2012, 04:17 PM

I remember when I lived in Texas and was still underage. My boyfriend at the time would tell the people checking ID's that we were married and I was able to drink since he was considered my "guardian" lol. That was about ten years ago.

I really feel I should have the right to serve my own children a glass of wine if I wish. As a teen, my parents would allow that on special occasions. I think the line needs to be drawn for parents who allow their children to abuse alcohol but there's nothing harmful in moderation, and that's a lesson I really would like my children to learn before they go out to binge parties that all teens experience!

#50 of 50 Old 07-29-2012, 06:04 PM

Gee, I hope it's legal because I think letting older kids drink a little with family is a much better scenario than their first experiences being out and unsupervised. And I personally think alcohol is a net negative in our culture. But it is such an integral part of life, gotta face it.

Kids. I got two of 'em.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page