Is it legal to serve your own children alcohol in your own home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 07-03-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm referring more to just tastes or very small glasses of wine with dinner or whatever, I know this is done in many cultures, just wondering if it's legal in the US in most/all states?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 50 Old 07-03-2011, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

i believe it is illegal to serve anyone under 21 alcohol no matter where they are or by whom. if my memory serves me right. i read about this some time ago.

so dont go rubbing in some irish whiskey on your babies gums.

i have a story to share from one of my history teachers who grew up in Slovakia and her whole family emigrated during the ethnic cleansing. so she was about 12 when her gparents were watching her and sent her to school with a packed lunch. bread, cheese and diluted wine in the water bottle. lunch lady 'caught' her and a huge fiasco occurred. for her it was an interesting place to be. her gparents were totally puzzled. she didnt see what the big deal was and her parents were trying so hard to fit in even if they didnt buy 'it'. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#3 of 50 Old 07-03-2011, 11:06 AM

In my state it is covered under contributing to the delinquency of minors.  We do it anyway but we have had a lot of conversations with our teens about how a lot of people (and the law) do not approve.

Edited to add - I was told the above as a waitstaff while in grad school.  I started researching because of this post.  I found this http://www.alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/apis_state_profile.html?state=co  

http://www.alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/apis_state_profile.html?state=co  .  I am not breaking the law in my state!  Just when we visit my parents, but not my ILs.

#4 of 50 Old 07-03-2011, 11:23 AM

i have been told that in my state that it is legal to do so for your own children but no one else's.  i haven't seen the exact wording of the law so that's hearsay fwiw.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#5 of 50 Old 07-03-2011, 02:14 PM

In Texas it is legal to allow your own kids to drink in your home. I know this because when I was in the military we had a junior enlisted person discharged for reporting to duty while drunk. She was underage, but stationed in her hometown and had been drinking at home with her parents when called in. The issue was that you can't drink while on-call, and that she should not have been driving drunk.

Signatures are sooo mainstream.

#6 of 50 Old 07-03-2011, 02:52 PM

Didn't research to make sure it's accurate but:

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

#7 of 50 Old 07-03-2011, 08:57 PM

when i was about 12, my dad would let me sip some wine if we were out having a nice dinner. my mom didn't exactly approve of it, but years later we talked about how it turned out really good because i knew what that alcohol "burn" felt like, and when i was at a party at 16, they had fruit punch with alcohol in it, i recognized that burn right away and didn't drink any more of it! that actually saved me from a lot of "spiked" drinks in the coming years. i was also able to warn my friends if alcohol was present in the beverages (the ones interested in not getting drunk, at least).

i have a lot of thinking to do about this subject, with my girl, and luckily i have a few more years. but what about just one taste? it seems like there is no other way to recognize that alcohol burn other than to feel it. i do want my girl to at some time have the same "warning" experience i had, that served me so well. telling a kid to cover their cup and never leave it unattended (just get a new drink if you've been away) is always good advice, but what if a kid can't tell there's alcohol spiking the 2-liter sodas? the punch bowl? the cooler with the spigot? very difficult decisions.

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#8 of 50 Old 07-03-2011, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'd never really thought about the legal aspect of it. We don't drink much (I can't stand the taste of alcohol), but I'd be a bit peeved to think the government had any say in whether I gave my kids half a glass of wine with dinner, if I were so inclined.

DH did give our toddler cider once. She was nagging for it and he thought giving her a taste would hush her up. Of course, it backfired... she liked it. But now she holds her hand high above her head and says "I have to be THIS tall to drink coffee and cider!" So, no permanent damage done. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#9 of 50 Old 07-03-2011, 09:31 PM

I always thought it was fine to give your own kids alcohol, but not other people's kids.

#10 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 05:45 AM

It's illegal in my state.  It's also harder to buy (isn't sold in grocery stores, only special shops).  You used to never be able to buy it on Sundays but they have started having limited Sunday hours for the wine shops.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#11 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Curious - if it's illegal to give ANY alcohol to someone under 21, does that include OTC cough syrups that contain alcohol? How many pharmacists check ID for a college student buying Robitussin? 

#12 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Curious - if it's illegal to give ANY alcohol to someone under 21, does that include OTC cough syrups that contain alcohol? How many pharmacists check ID for a college student buying Robitussin? 

Haven't you heard of people trying to get drunk off cough syrup? lol.gif  They try it because it's available to underage people, though I suppose a pharmacist would look at them funny if they tried to buy more than one bottle.  Anyway, it isn't illegal as an ingredient in an otc medicinal product.  It is possibly illegal as an ingredient in a homemade medicinal concoction.  But no one enforces the not giving alcohol to minors at home unless someone complains about it or the minor leaves the premises obviously drunk and it is noticed.

#13 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post

Haven't you heard of people trying to get drunk off cough syrup? lol.gif  They try it because it's available to underage people, though I suppose a pharmacist would look at them funny if they tried to buy more than one bottle.  Anyway, it isn't illegal as an ingredient in an otc medicinal product.  It is possibly illegal as an ingredient in a homemade medicinal concoction.  But no one enforces the not giving alcohol to minors at home unless someone complains about it or the minor leaves the premises obviously drunk and it is noticed.

Folks drink Robitussum for the dextromethorphine. It is possible I am spelling that wrong but I'm on an iPad.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#14 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 12:34 PM

People drinking cough syrup for kicks is the reason you can't get really effective *knock me out please i feel awful* cough syrup anymore. Which is funny, because it means now I have to suffer until it is bad enough that the coughing causes me to throw up and not sleep, and then I get a script for the really really good cough syrup with the narcotics in it. 

I like that some places allow parents to teach their kids how to drink responsibly in moderation, rather than starting out as party bingers. I'm sure it doesn't always work out that way, but it is a nice idea.

Signatures are sooo mainstream.

#15 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 01:01 PM

There's also communion in the Catholic church as an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

#16 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 01:11 PM

I've always been told that in my state that it's legal for minors to have alcohol served in their own home, by their parents, and served by clergy as part of communion. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#17 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 01:47 PM

Depends on your state.  In MO, it is legal to serve but becomes illegal if they get intoxicated. 

#18 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 03:53 PM
2xy

It's illegal in RI to give alcohol to anyone under the age of 21, unless it's part of the curriculum at a culinary school. Yes, the law specifies that.

This is a blue state, so Big Brother is all up in our business. Lots of laws mean lots of fines and tickets, which means more money for the state house to squander and abuse.

#19 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

It's illegal in RI to give alcohol to anyone under the age of 21, unless it's part of the curriculum at a culinary school. Yes, the law specifies that.

This is a blue state, so Big Brother is all up in our business. Lots of laws mean lots of fines and tickets, which means more money for the state house to squander and abuse.

So if you homeschool & include 'culinary lessons' in your curriculum, would you be safe? lol.gif

Funny, I expected totally different answers to this question for some reason...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#20 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post

There's also communion in the Catholic church as an issue.

Oh but it's no longer alcohol at that point.  It's been transubstantiated into blood.

#21 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

According to the above link, my state is not legal even for religious reasons, but some kids still take the wine at my church and every other one I've been to around here. I don't see how it would be constitutional for a state to make a law against that...

#22 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

In CA it's legal to give alcohol to minor children at home as long as it's only the family--no guests or party.  Minors can't drink at extended family's homes.  Our family rules are that they can have one glass of wine or one 12 oz. bottle of beer at home with the understanding that they can't go out afterwards if their friends call.  Nor can they drink if they have friends over.  And they have to be around age 16 (arbitrary age--we think that 13 is too young even if they are still a teen).

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#23 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 07:02 PM

i am in CA and i have volunteered with AA for family support group. and it was there that i was told - no nada. absolutely not. even in ur own home to ur own children. i guess that's AA language for you. they were so insistent that i believed it. and never ever questioned it. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#24 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcaw View Post

Didn't research to make sure it's accurate but:

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

Wow, according to this, my state (Ohio) is really lax--apparently you can give minors alcohol at home, in church, and in restaurants if those minors are your own children.  My poor deprived children...we never let them order from the drink menu...

funkymamajoy likes this.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#25 of 50 Old 07-05-2011, 05:38 AM

that is a cool link.  towards the bottom it actually links to the laws referenced, state by state... 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#26 of 50 Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

How much alcohol is in that communion wine anyway?   Every year during flu season the minister at our church addresses this myth that germs don't get passed from person to person in the communion cup because the alcohol kills it off.  He says don't kid yourself!  sick.gif Ew.   There isn't enough alcohol in the wine to effectively keep germs from being passed.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#27 of 50 Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

How much alcohol is in that communion wine anyway?   Every year during flu season the minister at our church addresses this myth that germs don't get passed from person to person in the communion cup because the alcohol kills it off.  He says don't kid yourself!  sick.gif Ew.   There isn't enough alcohol in the wine to effectively keep germs from being passed.

Definitely not enough. drink.gif *hic*

Oh man, off topic but funny.  Today I walked to the market to buy diapers (I'm only using disposables because I'm on a month long out of country trek.  Don't revoke my crunchy card) and a couple of things of baby food so my 10 month old doesn't have to burn her mouth on the Indian food I like eat.gif... and a bunch of cider.  They don't sell this kind in the States and it is soooooooooooo good.  The checker looked down and then back up at me.  I said, "I swear I won't share it with the baby."  She laughed. 

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#28 of 50 Old 07-06-2011, 03:54 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

So if you homeschool & include 'culinary lessons' in your curriculum, would you be safe? lol.gif

Somehow, I doubt it. RI is not a homeschool-friendly state even without alcohol included. smile.gif

#29 of 50 Old 07-07-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

eyesroll.gif

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#30 of 50 Old 07-07-2011, 05:32 PM

Definitely allowed in NJ.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page