You don't always know the whole situation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am the legal guardian of a 5 month old boy. My cousin, who was like a brother to me, and his wife died when their son was one month old. It has been hard, being 26 and single and suddenly being responsible for a baby, but I love him like he is my own.

Sometime last night my next door neighbor took some pages from this forum about why crying it out hurts babies and taped them to my front door and also left them in my mailbox and under the wipers of my car. She left a note on them saying that she has been a member of mothering.com for years and had highlighted some specific parts that she thought would help me because "if I take the road of selfish, lazy parenting just because I am young and self-centered and chose to have a child without a father in the picture it is NEGLECT" (her exact words)

My baby has colic. He cries all the time but I NEVER leave him alone, I ALWAYS hold him and try to calm him. I don't leave him to cry it out. I do NOT neglect him. I get that our houses are close together and that it is summer and your windows are open so you may hear him crying sometimes, but you have no right to make assumptions about me being selfish or lazy or having a child with a random guy who is not involved or otherwise neglecting my baby. You have no idea what my life is like. I just want to remind everyone that things are not always as they appear and you don't always know the whole situation of what goes on other in people's lives and homes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 04:50 PM

ouch. That was pretty rude of the lady/guy. If I knew who it was I would probably crumple the papers and toss it in their yard like on the burbs.

As for the colic, can you buy gripe water? It helps settle and calm the tummy (it's basically diluted baking soda andwater) or baby could be allergic to milk. Allimentum in the purple cans is predigested and easier on the tummy. How is the stools? Seems like a milk allergy can cause constipation. Sorry if you already have your answer

Old 07-03-2011, 04:50 PM

Ouch. You neighbor sucks. What a mean, passive aggressive way to try to share information with someone. If she had really wanted to help you, and had really been concerned, I would think she should have offered to watch your baby for a while to give you a break.

I'm really sorry for the loss of your cousin. I know there are mom's here who have dealt with a colicky baby, and I most of the time people dont jump to conclusions like your neighbor did.

I didnt know colic could last that long. It must be extremely exhausting. Have you read (you know, in all that spare time you have to read right now smile.gif ) The Happiest Baby on the Block ? I found it to be really helpful when Ada was little because she needed to be swaddled, rocked, suckling on something, and with white noise in the background in order to not cry at night time.

Anyway, Im sorry your neighbor was so mean, I hope you stick around because their actually is some great advice here. smile.gif

greet.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 07-03-2011, 04:52 PM

Babygirlie,
I love that we both started our replies with "ouch" and we posted at the same time.

Ouch is so exactly how it would feel to have someone do that. I might march right over to her house if it were me, but Im kinda trashy like that.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 07-03-2011, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Oh wow! I'm sorry someone was so judgmental with you! Was this done anonymously? That's pretty cowardly, too. I mean, you're neighbours...  she could have reached out to you... she could have left a note introducing herself as another parent who lives close by, and invited you to tea! Some babies cry a lot and there's nothing you can really do about it. My son cried all evening, every evening *in my arms* for a long time... he didn't have colic, he was just airing his concerns. And you DO have to put them down sometimes, even when they're crying... you have to eat, use the bathroom, brush your teeth... it's not neglect to take a few minutes here and there to take care of yourself, regardless of the babies' mood at the time. I'm sorry for your loss... it sounds like you are doing your best to take good care of the baby. You are absolutely right, we don't know what other people's lives are like... but almost everyone is doing the best they can, and most of us would accept support a  lot more readily than criticism. I hope you don't encounter people like that very often in the future.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:13 PM

Wow, seriously?? I can't believe anyone could be so judgmental and unkind. :(

I'm sorry that's how you found your way to this forum, but I hope you'll consider sticking around anyway. Most people here are very supportive and helpful.

I'm so sorry about your cousin & his wife. hug2.gif

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Your neighbor really does suck.  I can't believe anyone would be that insensitive.  I am sorry that someone from this community was so lacking in morals and decency.  You are doing such a wonderful thing by taking responsibility for your cousin's child.  Being a parent is a big adjustment.  At least with pregnancy you get several months to prepare.  You got grief and a child thrown at you all at once.  I hope you have more supportive neighbors to lean on and not just the one horrible one.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

post under the "tribe" section---maybe it will be seen by the correct person------it should be---IMO

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 07-03-2011, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Yikes, that's cold. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. :/ Have you confronted her about it? If I were you I'd be extremely tempted to give that woman a piece of my mind!

I second the recommendation for The Happiest Baby on the Block, if you can get hold of it. I'm swaddling my current baby far more than my previous one, and he's way calmer and sleeps for longer stretches - OK, it's probably partly a temperament thing, but I do notice a difference between his swaddled and non-swaddled days. Although, thinking about it, your baby might be a wee bit old for that? Depends on the baby, I guess!

I can't imagine how hard it must be to suddenly have a newborn with no warning, and losing family on top of that. :( Sounds like the baby is lucky to have you! I hope things get easier.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

Wow, seriously?? I can't believe anyone could be so judgmental and unkind. :(

I can, people on MDC used to tell posters to just "print out these pages and give them to blah blah blah....maybe they will see the errors of their flawed and horrible parenting".  MDC is like that.

However, OP, I'm really sorry.  Thats really hard.  Have you checked into reflux though?  It can be very painful, and silent.  If you have, and thats not it, just know that it will come to an end, and your baby will not cry like this forever.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:39 AM

I'm so sorry! Maybe you should invite your neighbor over to "help". :)

Old 07-04-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

I can, people on MDC used to tell posters to just "print out these pages and give them to blah blah blah....maybe they will see the errors of their flawed and horrible parenting".  MDC is like that.

Yup.  Not at ALL surprised.  This is a pretty typical MO of some of the MDC members.  I've stood up against suggestions of 'confrontations' and have always been ignored or dismissed. I've seen so many threads about 'i saw a woman doing x,y,z with her baby' (x,y,z including babies crying, mothers not using a baby carrier that MDCs approve of, breastfeeding, or fully legal but 'not rear facing until they're 30 car seat use) and I've often wondered about the poor mother on the receiving end.  Hopefully this persons posts make a few people think about their self righteous attitudes.

eta: and I hope nobody misses the point of the OP.  She didn't come here to ask for advice, she's making a statement about misplaced judgement and giving YOU advice.

To the OP: MDC is a huge community and there are a few bad apples but for the most part its a nice place to hang out if you ever find yourself frustrated with the colic. :)

Old 07-04-2011, 05:22 AM

Wow, that's rude! Do you know who did it, or was it totally anonymous? 

If the poster who did it reads this thread, I hope she'll go and apologize. 

ETA, the bit about parenting without a father in the picture is really vomit worthy. I CAN believe some people are like this, because as a solo mother I have heard stuff along these lines too, but it just, really, wrong. 

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:44 AM

I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with this. My baby had colic until 5 months and it was awful. I can't imagine dealing with that and grieving the losses that you are as well. MDC (and the AP community in general) can be very judgmental. Try not to let it get to you. You're doing a great job! 

me + DH + DS (10/2010)
Never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way. - MLK

Old 07-04-2011, 06:13 AM

I am so sorry. :(  That is a horrible horrible thing your neighbor did. :(

I wonder if some of this colic is actually just the baby grieving the loss of the parents?  We adopted a baby girl at 4 months old, and she had a huge long grieving period, mixed with reflux issues, that caused her to cry 20 hours a day for weeks.  It was a really excrutiatingly hard time, but one day, she just stopped crying and slowly began to find her new normal.  I hope your little one is able to do that as well.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 07-04-2011, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My older baby had a long colic period too, and to go through that plus deal with grief, and do it alone, must be hard. I'm sorry you're having to deal with so much, and on top of that get unsolicited unnecessary advice. I'm afraid unsolicited advice is a part of parenting though, and it won't stop. greensad.gif
Old 07-04-2011, 06:48 AM

My DD cried ALL THE TIME and my DS SCREETCHES at bedtime -- at we bed share and all the other crunchy stuff. I live in an urban area and I'm sure everyone hears my baby cry but hey that's life..motherhood can't be all smiles and coos : ) That person is just a jerk IMO and I hope they read this and realize that. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
Old 07-04-2011, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I am so sorry someone did that to you!  Crying babies stress out everyone.  It sounds like your (let's just call him son, because that's what he'll grow up to feel like) is also stressing out your neighbor.  The easy road is for her to rush to judgment, reacting with anger and superiority.  How much nicer it would've been, if she'd remembered that the crying baby stressing her out probably stresses you out a lot more!  

When I was a young, single mother of Autistic twins, when my next-door neighbor thought she heard havoc at our house, she'd come over to be supportive.  Sometimes it was just the kids playing loudly and she'd laugh with me about what they were doing.  But on occasion she found me frustrated and crying and would be ready with a big hug and make me a cup of tea.  I think God's intention is for us to try to be that sort of neighbor to each other, not the finger-wagging kind.  

I hope your neighbor reads this and decides to change her approach to your crying baby.  It sounds like you could use a hug and a cup of tea, too!  And helping you to stay calm, making sure you feel cared about and supported, would be a much better way to help your baby, if she's truly concerned about him.  Would you give her a second chance, if she tried?

Despite your poor introduction to Mothering.com, I hope you stick around.  I think you'll find that the vast majority of moms on here are supportive of each other, open-minded, and have a wide variety of good ideas about how to handle all the ups and downs of raising kids - regardless how you landed the job!

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
Old 07-04-2011, 07:29 AM

My kids scream too. My daughter will scream bloody murder over the great injustice of being calmly told that she's not allowed to swing from the light fitting, or eat a jar of jam for dinner.

If my neighbours were the type to jump to conclusions based on the noise level, they'd probably assume I was beating her.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:42 AM

grouphug.gif So sorry for your loss. It sounds like your neighbor needs a lesson on humbling.

My DD had intestinal issues and was "colic" screaming 2-6hrs a day or so until she was 10 m/o. It was hell on earth. I had someone say they almost called the cops on me b/c they didn't know what the heck was going on with my baby. I always held her, she had a boob in her mouth 23 of 24hrs, I wore her, I did skin to skin, you name it I did it...nothing stopped the crying. I really honestly feel for you b/c I know how hard a screaming baby can be. I can not imagine going through all of this and the loss of your cousin and her husband right now.grouphug.gif

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 07-04-2011, 08:08 AM

Wow!  That's a lot to deal with and then to have this nosy Nancy butting in is like salt in the wounds.  I'm sorry for your loss and the difficulty dealing with a whole new family situation.  Do you have any support system at all?

The part that irks me about this woman is that she's nosy enough to tell you what-for about your baby crying, but not interested enough to notice that you were never pregnant and then all of the sudden have this infant.  Decent people would have simply asked if you need help knowing that something serious had happened for you to suddenly have an infant to look after.  For someone like that, though, I doubt she'd even hear you if you tried to talk to her because she's too self-absorbed.  I hope she reads this thread and feels as ashamed as she should.  And I hope you stick around.  Not everybody at MDC is like that.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:19 AM

Going to show my age.......before the net we had neighbors in military housing called on because of a colicky baby.  The caller was just not a nice person and tried to clam she was neglectful.  

Again going to show my age ....  There was an "I love Lucy" were the mean neighbor was threating to have Lucy evicted because baby Richie cried at night.  Unfortunately, it looks like you are dealing with one of those judgemental people that they have written TV comedies about.  Hate to tell you this, no matter how good of a parent you are, you will always have one someone judging you.  You will need to develop duck feathers to let it roll off your back.  Remember mean people will always do the meanest things to hurt you.  And that is what that person has done.  They have tried to make you feel like a horrible parent, and some how not having a crying baby will make you a good parent.  A good parent does not mean that their child won't cry.  

I am truly sorry that these things were posted on your door.  I have always seen it here that unattended and crying it out on purpose is neglectful.  This neighbor just assume a lot about you, that says more about you than her. 

Also, please remember people can find anything they want on the net.  You judge a hole community of people by a few printings of selected post.  However, that is doing the same as what your neighbor has done. My mom sent me pretty horrible stuff because I refused to circ my child.  She found every one sided article you could have.  You do not know if that person is a member of this community or just someone who did a google search and is mean. 

I am really sorry for you loss.  I wish I had a magic to help you calm that colicky baby, but there is not a magic cure but a lot of advice on what to try.  

Old 07-04-2011, 09:42 AM

IDK, MarsupialMom (cant quote) in the OP it says that the woman said that she had been a member for years. She could have been lying, but it doesnt seem out of the realm of possibilities that a woman who is super anti cio would be a member here (or someone that doesnt bother to ask questions for that matter).
OP, as a previous poster suggested, I would repost this in the Finding Your Tribe section under the state that you live in and hope that she will see it and realize the error in her ways. One thing that really irks me is that she refers to you as a "young mother who had chose to have a child without a father." Umm...to most people 26 is not really "young" to have a first child. The national average in North America is 27. And it assumes that the mother is responsible if the deadbeat dad just leaves her. How annoying.

SIDS happens. 

Old 07-04-2011, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I want to tell you that you are an amazing woman.  What you are doing is kind and compassionate and your cousin using was very lucky to have you in his life. Please, disregard this sanctimonious b-ch who happens to be your neigbrous. I feel sorry for her kids.

Babies cry. It is fact of life. She probably had easy babies so, to her, that is a reality of life. But not all babies are easy. Some babies have colic i and they cry. Perhaps your baby is even missing his parents on some level.  so, babies cry, and they they grow up and turn out just fine.

With my kids I found that spending a lot of time outdoor helped more than the gripe water, slings or any other standard AP advice.  They both slept like angels in, oh horrors, their stroller the park under the a tree on the beach to the sound of surf under a umbrella.   I would rock the stroller and read a book while they slept.  They rested, I rested, we all felt better once we got home.  My Russian mother used to say "fresh air make babies sleep better"

Another thing is there the "witching hour".  Many babies are cranky for 1-3 hours in the evening. Right about dinner time  (-:    I think this is how they let go of steam. They little brain is working overtime learning new things but they have no way to express it.

You are with your baby, you love your baby and you take care of your baby. That's all that count, not the ridiculous standard of this horrible woman next door.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Holy cow I am so sorry you were rudely told off. I'm sorry that you came here and had a bunch of people tell you what to do. You are doing the best you can and I am sure you can look for answers if you need them. I like it here, but not everyone does. Good luck.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:31 PM

Whoa. Sorry you had to deal with that! Sounds like you are doing your best which is hard enough without people being jerks.

I'm not even sure what kind of positive effect that letter would have even if you were using CIO! All I would get out of it is that my neighbor is awful.
Wishing you two the best :)

oh noo
Old 07-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Oh Mama I am SO SORRY that you are going through this.

Firstly, I recommend that you print out the kind responses here and tape them to HER windshield (if you know who it was).

Secondly, is there a local mommies group where you are? You could get some support, help or commiseration with other moms in your area. Many churches also have mom's groups too. I find it so helpful to just talk about my struggles with other mom's to know I'm not alone in the struggles of mommy-hood. I don't know the area you are in but if you are in Northern Colorado please feel free to PM me or something and we can chat or whatever.

As far as colic goes that is a tough one. My neighbor's baby and my BIL's baby has colic and they scream at all hours even with being held, co-sleeping, ect. One thing that helped my niece was getting a prescription formula. It was very expensive but it helped her immensely since she simply couldn't process much protein. Insurance may cover it anyway but I am not sure what your situation is but it may be something to look into.

PLEASE know that not every parent thinks this things about you and you are doing a wonderful job and that baby is BLESSED to have such a loving guardian.hug2.gif

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
Old 07-04-2011, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMama19 View Post

Firstly, I recommend that you print out the kind responses here and tape them to HER windshield (if you know who it was).

I'm not sure you should actually do this, but it's a very witty idea!  Heck, maybe you SHOULD!  winky.gif

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
Old 07-04-2011, 06:31 PM

Hi:   I would like to point out that whatever

the woman said, it was out of concern for

the child; not communicated well at all but

it sounds like she was acting for the child

and I think that might be a thing to consider. 

I wonder if you fell while alone with your baby

and hit your head and you were unconscious

if that woman might not be the first to call

an emergency number or to force her way though

your door when there was no response from you.

I get upset with all the people who just want

children to disappear or shutup like maybe your

other neighbors are feeling. Yes, I agree with 

everybody that she acted poorly but maybe it's

also true that she's acting for your child, that

maybe she's an ally.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Cumulus,
Did you do it?

OP,
I totally think you should print out this whole thread and tape it to her door. That is, if you are still here reading. I hope you will come back to see that not everyone is like her.

SIDS happens. 

User Tag List