CIO in the car and I HATE IT!!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

I don't know why what I said is so offensive. I'm not telling anyone they are a bad parent because their baby cries. My babies cry. I try and make them feel better as much as humanly possible. If you can't make them feel better, then you can't. But for me personally? Letting an infant scream when there is something I can do about it is not ok. For me personally, my almost-4yo has the mental capacity to understand that she might have to miss a class if baby is too upset to be in the car. My infant, on the other hand, does NOT have the cognition to understand that I can't touch her for 20 minutes while she screams because we "have" to be in the car for my (almost)4yo. If we're 2 miles from home and baby starts crying, I will continue driving. But if baby is screaming when we get into the car to leave, I wait until she's ok to drive. Sometimes that takes a while, and it sure is a pita, but that's what I feel is important.

The concern that I and other posters have in this discussion is that after a while, the 4 yo is no longer going to patiently understand that their life has to stop because of the baby's needs trumping their own.  The suggestion has been thrown around more than once that the whole family may very well end up being confined to home for as long as it takes for baby to no longer cry in ther carseat (possibly up to 6 months?)  The average 4, 5, 6 yo kid may be able to understand occassional disappointment at not getting to go to a much enjoyed event, but if that is going to happen daily for up to 6 months how on earth is it not understandable (and even perfectly justified) that the older child will begin to seriously feel undervalued and resentful of systematically losing out to their new sibling?

My boys were almost 5 when our new baby was born, they understood that some stuff was going to change but it was still really hard for them to get used to the additional loss of our parental attention and time.  Suddenly they had to be quiet a lot more so as not to wake the baby up, and remember to be gentle around the baby, and be told a lot to give us a few minutes while we took care of the baby.  If we had also told them that we would no longer be going places outside the house because the baby cried too much in the carseat/stroller/carrier (because he cried in all of those) the likelihood of them experiencing significant emotional harm as a result would have been far greater than I would have been comfortable with risking.  It doesn't matter how much we tried to reassure them that we still loved them too and that it was necessary to keep the baby happy, at that age kids simply do not have the intellectual capacity to dig that deep and put aside their own feelings in order to brush aside their own needs and wants.

Which is why I have repeatedly pointed out that there has to be a balancing of everyone's needs (and even wants from time to time) in order to try and keep the family healthy and happy as a whole.  If that means that sometimes baby cries in the carseat so that the kids can go to school or summer camp or grandma's house or whatever then sometimes it just has to happen.  We all do our best to make the situation as comfortable for everyone and to soldier through so that we can get it over with.  And I will continue to disagree with the assertion that our attempts to soothe the baby when he cries is the carseat during those trips are either fruitless or similar to (or the same as) CIO. 

Mom to twin boys (7/15/05), another boy 5/9/10, and our latest addition born 9/13/11!

#122 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I'm feeling compelled to put down my own thoughts, after reading so many of the posts here... I have to be honest, I haven't read through them all for lack of time right now, and, not to mention that I am feeling disappointed about how judgemental some of them seem to be and I just found myself getting bothered by it...

I'll start by saying that I absolutely and completely feel empathy for anyone who has to experience a baby crying incessantly while riding in the car.  My DS is almost a year old now and for 99% of the time he is great in the car, BUT, it wasn't always like this.  From about 4 weeks until 7 months old, he hated the car.  It was so difficult to go anywhere with him, so I basically only went when I felt like I could handle it.  It made it hard to get out to do appointments, errands, etc.  Plus, my parents live 1 hour away from me, but they were rarely able to come visit me in the early months (my mom doesn't drive in the city, and my dad was recovering from cancer treatments), so that meant we had to go to them if we wanted to see each other.  While my DH could do the errands when he came home from work, it was the visits with my family that I most needed...

Most of the time, I couldn't drive more than a few minutes before the crying started.  As a new parent, I was bewildered as to what to do--everything I had read said that babies found it soothing; well this isn't the case I now know (from my own experience and reading it here!).  I really felt isolated, because in addition to the car he also hated the stroller and baby carriers (I tried so many kinds).  To make things worse, he didn't like anything but a minimal amount of clothing/blankets, especially anything on his head-- I found ways to keep him warm in the winter when we did make trips out, but at first glance one would think I was being neglectful because of seemingly under-dressing him. His crying was so intense during these times, and it actually seemed to hurt my head somewhere deep inside, like a physical pain shooting through... and everyone else agreed that he had a very loud, strong cry.  Oy!   I still tried to get out of the house as much as I good because I knew it was good for my all-around health (I have to be especially careful of what I do because of a past history of anxiety and depression), but sometimes I just didn't have the inner coping resources/energy and other times I found that it wasn't fair to my DS to subject him to the discomfort more than once a day.  It was hard to pass up opportunities for friendship and support through the mom's groups that I was invited to (I had to work on creating a new community for myself, of women who were mothers, since most of my friends pre-baby were childless) and I certainly wasn't getting out to see the good friends I already had.  I definitely had some days where I felt depressed, lonely, and unsure of myself in my parenting role--and I didn't know if/when I would ever feel like I could enjoy a dog walk with my DS, or a fun jaunt to the mall, etc.  But yes, at 7 months, things changed-- I was so happy that I again do some of these things that I enjoy!

Anyway, I won't go into the things I found helpful during that spell, since so many people have already posted some great things... I just wanted to say that I totally understand that things like this can be very upsetting to a parent, and I don't think it is helpful to create a sort of continuum of 'how bad things are'.  We experience things differently, we have good days and some not-so-good ones, and we really don't know what it is like to be in another person's shoes... I sure hope that anybody who posts on here, whether they are looking for guidance or simply a listening ear, that they receive nothing but compassion and warmth.  Let's leave the judgements of us as women and mothers, out of it. 

Me & DH ; DS (Aug 2010) ; DD1 (May 2012) ; DD2 (Nov 2013)
#123 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 08:16 AM

My baby was/is exactly the same. He is 10 months now. Sometimes radio static works, or this Latin guitar cd I have, and I considered a DVD player. I actually put him front facing and it solved it. I know it's not good, but I was desperate. I would keep singing and talking to him, so it's not like CIO, and try the DVD player. The Latin cd I used that worked until 7 or 8 months for us is called rodrigo y Gabriela.
#124 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 AM

I haven't taken the time to read all the posts(there are quite a few!) so I don't know if someone has already suggested this, but have you tried a pacifier? My DS is 2 months, and there is like a 10-15 min window where he will be quiet, but after that his patience is gone, so we keep a pacifier near by to offer him, and sometimes it works! lol It is rough to have them scream and not be able to soothe them, but it really does get better. Also, I know babies tend to prefer certain types of paci's over others, so if he doesn't like one, it can't hurt to try another!

Married to my favorite backwoodsman tiphat.gif since 2010, DS1 nut.gif in 5/11 and expecting #2 in 7/13...Crazy about homeschool.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF homebirth.jpg uc.jpg cd.gif hang.gif knit.gif sewmachine.gif

#125 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSurplus View Post

I do NOT view it as CIO because there's nothing else I can do.  You CAN go pick up a child out of a crib - but you legally can't take your child out of his carseat while the car is in motion.  AND, the intentions are different.  I'm not strapping a child in his carseat and thinking, "you're just going to have to learn to like this because mommy needs you to" but "we HAVE to go somewhere; I know you don't like your carseat and I feel for you, but it's the safest place for you while we're driving."  Totally different things.

I agree with this 100%. Several of my friends have babies who don't like their carseats, and they got this strap-over toy that the babies can look at and play with. I don't have one myself, but my friends all said it really helped their babies enjoy their carseats. Maybe you can try this before you go the dvd player route?

http://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Love-Sunny-Stroll-Strollers/dp/B000S9RF4M/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IOGZOJ4IJOODW&colid=3JFKDE1ZZVA1Q

-Nicole, mama to Benji and our fur-babies, Megatron and T-Bone

treehugger.gif 

#126 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 08:43 AM

jaw.gif A 10 m/o FF?! That is illegal I am sure. I would rather my kid scream the whole ride than risk his life

Quote:
Originally Posted by samalama10 View Post

My baby was/is exactly the same. He is 10 months now. Sometimes radio static works, or this Latin guitar cd I have, and I considered a DVD player. I actually put him front facing and it solved it. I know it's not good, but I was desperate. I would keep singing and talking to him, so it's not like CIO, and try the DVD player. The Latin cd I used that worked until 7 or 8 months for us is called rodrigo y Gabriela.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#127 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

a perfect example of - to each its own. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

jaw.gif A 10 m/o FF?! That is illegal I am sure. I would rather my kid scream the whole ride than risk his life

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#128 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 08:52 AM

NO that's not "to each their own" that's child endangerment.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#129 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

NO that's not "to each their own" that's child endangerment.

This.  And so so illegal. 

Bokonon likes this.

obstruct livery vehicles

#130 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

agreed, after the legal age, THEN it's personal choice (even if I personally think that you should rear face as long as possible)

#131 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 01:14 PM

ok... hang on, ya'll.  let's figure this out.  it depends on in what state the forward facing child resides as to whether or not that's illegal, depending on if the kid is under or over 20 pounds.  it's possible that the parent has a really big kid.  here's a link, no idea about the authenticity or authority of it, but you get the idea.  http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx

samalama10, i'm going to hijack this thread for a minute and let you know that folks are concerned about what you're saying about forward facing your child.  research now shows that rear facing for as long as possible is the safest thing you can do to protect your baby in a car. 

depending upon where you live, you might not be legal to face forward, as well.  No one (hopefully) wants to shame or scold you if you hadn't read about why rear facing is better, and here's an article. Here's another one from consumer reports that shows how crashes can damage little ones' necks if forward facing.  The american academy of pediatrics supports rear facing in the car seat until your kid is 2! 

If you're able to turn your baby back around, it's much much safer. 

~~~~~~~~  ok, you guys can keep arguing now....~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nikitta34 likes this.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#132 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 01:31 PM

My 4 daughters screamed in their car seats when they were infants.  My baby is now 14 weeks old and more often than not screams until she chokes until I get her out :(    It helps to a degree when I sit next to her and hold her hand and sing to her.   She usually has a much older sister with her and sometimes she will accept the comfort of a pacifier.  Even that has limited success --I'd say she screams about 60% of the time in the car.    So its not about being isolated.  It may be the infant seat.  It is likely frustration and I'd say an angry kind of cry.  She can get that worked up when her toy falls out of her hand at home.  The difference is that at home I hand her the toy or pick her up and all is right with the world and I can't do that in the car. 

By wearing my baby most of the time and comforting her immediately I think she expects it in the car too.  The best I can do is to find alternatives to driving with her.  My older daughters (7,10 and 15 years) have needs and desires that I'd like to meet too.  I never considered leaving my other babies with a care giver to avoid driving with them but I do it now.  20 minutes here and there works for us and there are few to no tears.   I hope that this changes soon because her sisters and I would like to take her to some wonderful places soon :)  I'll look into getting the Britax as a rear facing seat since that is what she will need next anyhow.

Nice to know that mine aren't the only babies who scream in the car. 

AnnaBees Mama likes this.
#133 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 02:15 PM

Just a thought; what kind of carseat do you have? We have a Baby Trend, and my DS HATED car rides for months until my chiropractor mentioned something- does your carseat have a bump or ridge in the back? Ours did, and our my DS needed to be adjusted where the ridge was. He hated the carseat because it hurt him to sit in it, especially over bumpy roads. We put a thin folded up recieving blanket behind the top layer of padding but over the hard foam that had the bump in it. You couldn't feel the hard bump from the outside anymore, and it made all the difference. My son didn't love the carseat after this, but he didn't scream every car ride all car ride long like he had been doing. So, maybe check your carseat; do you feel a ridge?

Nikitta34 and AnnaBees Mama like this.

Melissa Wife to DHpartners.gif, Mom to DSbouncy.gif (3 y.o.) and DD wave.gif (infant) We are a homebirthing, no circ, select and delay vax, cosleeping, full-term breastfeeding happy family!

#134 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

ok... hang on, ya'll.  let's figure this out.  it depends on in what state the forward facing child resides as to whether or not that's illegal, depending on if the kid is under or over 20 pounds.  it's possible that the parent has a really big kid.  here's a link, no idea about the authenticity or authority of it, but you get the idea.  http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx

samalama10, i'm going to hijack this thread for a minute and let you know that folks are concerned about what you're saying about forward facing your child.  research now shows that rear facing for as long as possible is the safest thing you can do to protect your baby in a car. 

depending upon where you live, you might not be legal to face forward, as well.  No one (hopefully) wants to shame or scold you if you hadn't read about why rear facing is better, and here's an article. Here's another one from consumer reports that shows how crashes can damage little ones' necks if forward facing.  The american academy of pediatrics supports rear facing in the car seat until your kid is 2! 

If you're able to turn your baby back around, it's much much safer. 

~~~~~~~~  ok, you guys can keep arguing now....~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hm... I honestly had no idea that some states did not specify. I would like to point out however that most car seat manufacturers (I say most as I don't know for sure all, but all that I have seen) state on the car seat that it is designed to be rear facing until at least 1 year AND 20 lbs (i think 20lbs).

So I'd encourage the mom that started this off shoot to check the car sear standards for her specific car seat as well as the helpful link above about the state laws

#135 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 06:43 PM

I too was in your position with a baby who hated the car.  She is now 8 months old and it's getting better, but it was horrible.  My mother said it was worse being in the car with me than listening to her cry.  It just affected me so much because I couldn't soothe her.  Very stressful.

Here's what I tried:

• rolling down the windows (helps with the pressure on their little ears)
  • music
  • clip-on music mobile
  • clip-on stroller fan (she really liked this one)
  • sleep sheep
  • mirror 

Best ones were rolling down windows and fan.  Someone suggested a convertible car seat because it sits higher up.  We didn't give this a good try though so I have no opinion on this idea.

Good luck.  It will get better.

h20homebirth.gif winner.jpgfamilybed1.gifintactlact.gifecbaby2.gifcd.gifslinggirl.gifpeace.gifgoorganic.jpgtreehugger.gif

#136 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 06:44 PM

Not sure if the OP is still around, but some things that worked with my little boy - sucking on a finger (could your 4yo lend a finger?!), having a dangly toy to look at and bat, listening to me sing (Old Macdonald or 'If you're happy and you know it...' - it helped my stress levels to sing, and maybe your 4yo can join in to make it more of a game for him as well). He got better as the months passed and these days (9mo) if he has a couple of toys he'll usually play happily. I wouldn't offer a finger any more because of those sharp little teeth!

Has anyone tried making a DVD of themselves and playing that to unhappy babe? I have no idea if it would work, just occurred to me as PPs were suggesting a DVD player.

Good luck OP, you're obviously a loving mum doing your best to keep both your little men happy.

#137 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 07:10 PM

Here are some ideas that might help 1. try a car bed I believe your baby is still young enough for to use one. and to what about useing a wind up baby tv thing that winds up and play scenes that scroll bye while it plays songs, I'm sure you know what I mean , you probley had one when you were little 3. have your 4 year old be your special helper and sit by the baby and make an interactive bright light toy go for the baby, a little special play time may help. 5. set a vebrating pillow againest car seat so it vibrate and kinda rocks the baby. 6.use a warm water bottle and fake heart beat toy to make baby feel like he does when you carry him.

#138 of 154 Old 07-19-2011, 07:44 PM

Not crying it out but I totally understand. When my babies scream in the car, I could literally have a heart attack. It's awful. So sorry!!! He will outgrow this though...they outgrow almost everything!!! 

#139 of 154 Old 07-20-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPod View Post

Has anyone tried making a DVD of themselves and playing that to unhappy babe? I have no idea if it would work, just occurred to me as PPs were suggesting a DVD player.

Also, you could just try taping a picture of you to the seat back so he can see your face the whole time??

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#140 of 154 Old 07-20-2011, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

First off - wow...at the number of responses this post got!  I wish I had the time to read every single one but I cannot possibly do that right now.  But thank you to all of for your suggestions!  I realize a lot of the discussions from this post were in response to one another and so on but for the most part, I'm floored!

As far as some of the suggestions go:

I have always used a paci - when he was crying that hard - he wouldn't even close his mouth to suck on the darn thing

I use white noise - made for babies downloaded from iTunes.  It works sometimes...but not really

It's def. not the car seat.  He is fine in it until later.  

BUT - update -  he has gotten a little better.  I bought this paci plushie thing that hooks onto his paci (this animal) and he holds it.  Not only does he hold it but, when he cries and the paci falls out of his mouth, I can locate it better and grab it at red lights.  So, for some reason, he is now taking the paci in the car and it does soothe him.  It didn't before.  So, he takes it and when he does cry, I pray for red lights so that I can locate paci and re-insert and he HAS dosed off to sleep several times.  In those times, I am so thankful.  Even my 4 yo got excited that he calmed down and slept, LOL.  When DH is around, he drives and I'm back there in between 2 car seats (not comfy) and DS is fine!  Phew...

So, every day will get better I guess and I will be getting the next car seat soon but I am still convinced there is no hurry in that yet - since he really is fine in the car seat when I buckle him in while still in the house.  Also, I know it's that he just can't settle down on his own and just fall asleep...he needs some extra comfort to do so, so that is mostly where the crying comes in.  That and the fact that he is alone back there and he can't really see his brother...his car seat doesn't really let him see much other than whats right in front of him.

Thank you to all for you help and sharing your stories with me...it has helped me a great deal!!!  It's still tough - especially in this heat - but then again, because of the heat wave this week, we're not going anywhere!  Way too hot outside for anyone!

As for my 4yo - he does love camp.  Truth be told, since this baby has been born, I'm still adjusting to 2 kids so, yeah, there are days that he doesn't get full on attention that he's been used to and played with in the way that I would like - one on one.  We tried it, since we thought it would be good for him, and it turns out he loves it.  He gets to swim, cooking, crafts and play with all his buddies that he goes to school with.  So, yeah, 2 days a week of that?  I think it's worth it.  He deserves a good time that unfortunately, I cannot always guarantee him.  I struggle with mom guilt every day to meet both kids needs fully, and I do try, but I keep thinking I'm short changing someone.  Even though that may not be the case, it's hard when you had one kid for 4 years getting one on one time all the time and that is all they know..,thats where my guilt comes in.  But I"m getting better every day...

I'm all for AP but I do see how it can be hard to be the best AP mama to multiple kids...man, is it hard!  Thank God for baby wearing!!

GuildJenn and Bokonon like this.

Mama to two wonderful boys DS1 (May 2007) and DS2 (March 2011)      

bfinfant.gif    femalesling.GIF  familybed2.giflactivist.gif

#141 of 154 Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 AM

Listen to your gut/instincts. RESPOND.  Your baby is communicating. You are the expert on your baby. (I've read some but not all other posts - this is my 1st forum ever... but felt compelled to reply.  It seems that the view of a few people is to come down on mom for being "over reactive or over sensitive or some other "over" something.  There is a reason you have the impulse to respond to your babies cries!  You are designed that way... physiologically... hormones release).  I have been in your shoes twice.  I have  9y old & 11 mo old boys.  Neither liked the car (understatement!!!)... both have GER. Both got better over time.... but until then it was stressfull on everyone. I spent lots of time on the side of the road nursing and calming my babies. (Often there was a reason...needed to burp or toot... needed a diaper change... or as quite a few MDs said it common for reflux babies to be in discomfort in the confined sitting position). But nevertheless I needed to be able to go some places. I tried everything: I finally tried a pacifier with both (not something I am even for) but neither would take one.  The things that helped... helped in increments over time: mirror so I could see a he could see me, music, and yes - even baby einstein video in dvd player (even though they really couldn't see it except thru the mirror - the music calmed them both (all the video naysayers for babies... I would rather have 20 mins of soothing video for my baby than 20 minutes of uncontrollable crying with no comfort (imagine being a disabled senior completely dependent upon a caregiver... and you soil yourself, or you're hungry or lonely or you're in pain and you call out and cry and noone responds and you are left waiting to some unknown time for a response.. imagine how long seconds would seem.. imagine what that would do to your quality of life... imagine how stressful and emotional... imagine the impact physically - but I digress); baby crackers (lifesaver) & cup of juice (both drank ones with straw at 5 mo); toys; oh and with my youngest I changed the carseat to a britax and saw a big difference.  But until it got better I was selective when and where I went...not so easy when you have 2 and you need to drive to/from school & sports etc and planned ahead with my (bag of tricks) and planned for extra time so that I could pull over as needed. I changed my mindset to expect to pull over rather than expect to get from point A to point B without a problem. I tuned out all the other moms who have babies that love the car and fall asleep in the car and everything is tra la la in the car.  They will never understand and will tend to be overcritical... assuming there is something wrong with your parenting.  Even pediatricians can be this way.  One doctor said "just keep driving - it won't kill him".  Yeah well, giving my baby diet coke and candy bars won't kill him either - but I'm pretty sure no one would advocate that.  By tuning into your baby... you will become your babies expert... you will be able to discern underlying issues/concerns...believe in the value of his cries.  I still go to bat for my 9 yr old... when others want to disbelieve him... I trust what he is telling me... and sure enough whatever it was gets validated.  Be patient with yourself and your baby. This period of time will pass. Oh and ask for help from others... dad, grandma, friend etc to drive your eldest child...and/or watch your baby for a short while.  Show your eldest child how to soothe your baby in the car.  I hope some of my suggestions help. 

#142 of 154 Old 07-20-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Quote:
You didn't? I think an argument can be made that, at the very least, the implication was there in these comments that you've made:

No, I didn't. You even quoted what I said, but I'll quote it again, bolding the important parts that you missed: "CIO in a room by themselves, or CIO in a seat by themselves (while hearing a voice) is really no different, regardless of your intention." Where in that sentence did I say anything about "a crying baby in arms"?

The difference is TOUCH. If I'm really upset or scared, talking to my partner on the phone might help a little. But having him here right next to me, holding me or touching me, and not even saying a word? MAJOR DIFFERENCE.

I don't know why what I said is so offensive. I'm not telling anyone they are a bad parent because their baby cries. My babies cry. I try and make them feel better as much as humanly possible. If you can't make them feel better, then you can't. But for me personally? Letting an infant scream when there is something I can do about it is not ok. For me personally, my almost-4yo has the mental capacity to understand that she might have to miss a class if baby is too upset to be in the car. My infant, on the other hand, does NOT have the cognition to understand that I can't touch her for 20 minutes while she screams because we "have" to be in the car for my (almost)4yo. If we're 2 miles from home and baby starts crying, I will continue driving. But if baby is screaming when we get into the car to leave, I wait until she's ok to drive. Sometimes that takes a while, and it sure is a pita, but that's what I feel is important.

It's not even that it may be offensive to some....my own problem is that it's your opinion being presented (by you) as cold, hard fact. I do understand the distinction you made about touch. And I'll ask you about that, again: If a baby crying uncontrollably = a baby that is possibly terrified or traumatized (your words), then how would being held in his mother's arms while he's crying/screaming/terrified make any difference to the baby? If the baby can't understand the mother's intention and can't be soothed by her presence, scent or voice, then what is so different about being in her arms?

caffix.gif
#143 of 154 Old 07-20-2011, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

woah i had no idea the new law is 1 year AND 20 pounds. i had dd pre 2007 so never had that rule. i think for us is was OR. so yeah ok. now i see it IS illegal. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#144 of 154 Old 07-20-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:

If the baby can't understand the mother's intention and can't be soothed by her presence, scent or voice, then what is so different about being in her arms?

I am not who you are speaking to, but would like to respond (briefly) anyways.  I have 3 children. None were good in the car, and my oldest was awful!  My voice, scent did not seem to cut it - they really did respond much better to being picked up (something impossible to do while driving).  Perhaps you had a baby that was able to be soothed to the point of not screaming by voice?  If so, you were lucky!  That does not work for all babies.

#145 of 154 Old 07-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the point she's making is that being picked up doesn't work for all babies either. Not that voice works.
#146 of 154 Old 07-20-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

I think the point she's making is that being picked up doesn't work for all babies either. Not that voice works.

Gotcha.  

#147 of 154 Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 PM

Hi there  -- I have huge empathy for what you're experiencing. Nothing helped my son, who did the exact same thing until he was about 1 1/2 or 2 years old.  At that time he had become verbal enough to converse with me about what we saw out the windows.  That changed everything.  Until then, nothing worked, not switching to face front, not new seats, not music, not singing parents.  Often when we went on long car trips to visit family we had to unexpectedly get a hotel room halfway.  There was no stopping the crying.  I think he just felt "wrong" strapped in a seat, and knew that my body was unavailable to him as comfort (trying to twist to nurse him never worked for us), and he couldn't bear that separation.  I hope your child will outgrow it sooner than mine did, and I advocate your use of any tool that helps you to get through in the meantime!

#148 of 154 Old 07-21-2011, 01:08 PM

I wouldn't be able to handle my baby crying for 80 minutes a day at all!  No way, never!  Just throwing out some ideas:

My first question would be, do you really think camp is so important for your 4 year old?  Compared to the suffering of your 3 month old who can't understand at all what is going on (and also your suffering at not being able to follow your powerful maternal instincts to pick up your crying baby)?   I'm pretty sure the negative for the newborn would much outweigh the positive for your 4 year old? 

Can someone else take your 4 year old to camp (travel with another family who also go to camp, could a grandparent take him/her)? 

Is there public transport that could get you to the camp?  My baby hated the car because he couldn't be in my arms....public transport was no problem at all. 

Is there some one else who could look after your baby while you drive your 4 yo to camp? (I know you are an attachment parent, but I think leaving baby with some one else would be better than the 80 minutes screaming). 

Could you stay around at camp, take a book with you, hang out at the lake if they have one?  At least then you'd just have to drive there and back once? 

Does baby take a pacifier? Even if you don't like them, in this case I think it's called for. 

I wouldn't show a 3 month old a DVD...no way...I think this comes back to the question of whether the benefits for your 4 yo really outweigh the negatives for your baby. 

I hope you find a solution, it sounds like a really difficult situation, feeling for you xx

#149 of 154 Old 07-21-2011, 06:43 PM

Holy crap. I thought my baby was the only one that did this. I have PPD and the docs and midwives told me to "get out" but he hates being in the car. The first five minutes he's okay and then he's just like yours, screaming, crying beet red. I hate it. He does this when I sit in the back with him, when his papa sits with him, I can sing, talk or even touch his head and nothing helps. He just hates it.  There's a heatwave here where I live and if I want to get exercise I've got to drive to a mall and walk around. He falls asleep in the sling but as soon as I pop him out and we get moving he wakes up and cries all the way to destination.  At least I'm going back to work soon and will get exercise there.  He's 10 weeks by the way.  I hope it helps to know you're not alone, it helps me but when we get in the car and the baby starts screaming it's cold comfort. From all the other posts it sounds temporary so lets hold on to that.

#150 of 154 Old 07-24-2011, 03:41 PM

My LO is the same way, but when we open the windows she quiets down very quickly.  Maybe you could start the car and then get the kids in, or get the baby in the seat on the opposite side of the car so you're not shutting the door directly next to him? With my first, I nursed him after he got buckled into his seat.  Maybe put a cool water bottle next to him if he is getting too sweaty or protecting him from the AC flow if he is too chilly?  It is so hard to drive when the baby is that upset : (

ETA:  I just saw how many posts there are!  I just wanted to add in case it wasn't said, I like to make sure the baby has on a collared top so the straps aren't sitting right on her neck.  smile.gif

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page