Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 07-16-2011, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teraze View Post
  And nipple shields...

Those actually cause more problems than anything with breastfeeding, in specific situations they might be recommended by a lactation consultant but I think for the most part the resources I have read say to avoid them if you can.  But a gift basket of useful breastfeeding things is a great idea!!! Boppy pillow/nursing pillow, nursing pads, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, Lansinoh lanolin, phone numbers/contact info for breastfeeding help :)  A Moby wrap or sling is a great idea, too. 

#32 of 49 Old 07-16-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Thanks for reminding me about nursing pillows!  I loved that with my babes. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#33 of 49 Old 07-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ack!  nut.gif I meant the pads - for leaky breasts.  I went through at least a box a week.  For months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunkie View Post

Those actually cause more problems than anything with breastfeeding, in specific situations they might be recommended by a lactation consultant but I think for the most part the resources I have read say to avoid them if you can.  But a gift basket of useful breastfeeding things is a great idea!!! Boppy pillow/nursing pillow, nursing pads, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, Lansinoh lanolin, phone numbers/contact info for breastfeeding help :)  A Moby wrap or sling is a great idea, too. 

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#34 of 49 Old 07-18-2011, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

An Ergo, if your budget allows.

Diapers and wipes.

Any of the Dr Sears books.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#35 of 49 Old 07-18-2011, 11:32 AM

The Baby Book by Sears. 

Happy single mom of six amazing children ~ Charlotte 15, Bethany 13, James 11, Joseph 7, Noah 6, and Naomi 4.

Blessed to be a CPM/LM in Virginia and doing work that I love.. as well as blessed to have worked with talented midwives who shared their knowledge with me. 

#36 of 49 Old 07-18-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Ack!  nut.gif I meant the pads - for leaky breasts.  I went through at least a box a week.  For months.

Oh yeah!  Nursing pads for sure.  I got a nice couple pairs of wool ones from a friend for this time around, and I love them!!!  The disposable ones are good to have around too.  Nobody told me about leaky boobs the first time around, and I started leaking at 5 mos pregnant!

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

#37 of 49 Old 07-18-2011, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You could give her a doula. Well not give her one to keep but hire one for her;) Or maybe  a student doula who needs more births to become certified.

be good family...

#38 of 49 Old 07-18-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

You could give her a doula. Well not give her one to keep but hire one for her;) Or maybe  a student doula who needs more births to become certified.

Oooo - thinking big!  I like this idea!  There was a student doula that observed every one of my birthing classes and she seemed really cool and interested in all of us (then) pregnant mommas.  Definitely something to explore...  love.gif

dreamingtree likes this.

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#39 of 49 Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 PM

I think young parents so often feel alone. So I would say helping your friend find and get to some parent/mom groups would be good. Things like a birthing class that meets weekly, LLL, a new mom playgroup, natural parenting group. Since you do not live super close, even just researching all the options and giving her an easy to reference list would be good.

If you can afford it, a doula would be great. if you can't, some books on birthing and parenting would be helpful.

As for material things, I would suggest something for her, like a gift card for clothing, nursing bras, or a massage/pedicure/facial. Lotions, bath salts, sitz bath concoctions, things for self care. Most new moms get a lot of baby clothing, but not much for them.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#40 of 49 Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 AM

Craigslist is a great place to find used cloth diapers and carriers. It's a good idea to have some point of reference for how much things go for retail as.compared to what people are asking. I got almost my entire cloth diaper stash (much of it prepped but never used) for $50.

Homebirthing, bedsharing, term breastfeeding attached mama to my baby girl born 7/20/2012. I love to knit.gifsewmachine.gif and bellyhair.gif. I am passionate about familybed1.gifbfinfant.giflearning.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif and trying to make all kinds of crafty things for my little one!
#41 of 49 Old 07-19-2011, 07:26 AM

• some meals to stick in the refrigerator and freezer
  • a good baby carrier 
  • Hyland's homeopathic starter kit for kids
  • Itzbeen - a nightlight, clock, timer, and alarm all in one
  • a clock that projects up on the ceiling
  • easy to use swaddle blankets

h20homebirth.gif winner.jpgfamilybed1.gifintactlact.gifecbaby2.gifcd.gifslinggirl.gifpeace.gifgoorganic.jpgtreehugger.gif

#42 of 49 Old 07-19-2011, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:

Oh! Gotcha!   I leaked too, for the LONGEST time. I left a path of milk puddle destruction wherever I went, haha :) But it was worth it to get through that initial trouble! We are still happily nursing a year later.

But yes, nursing pads of some sort (whether disposable or cloth) are a must!

#43 of 49 Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 PM

Lilypadz are great. I think a gift card for maternity clothes would be great. Getting decent maternity clothes can be pretty expensive, and it is silly considering how long you wear them.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#44 of 49 Old 07-20-2011, 05:53 AM

The Happiest Baby on the Block book or DVD

Boppy pillow

Sleep sacks or swaddling sacks

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#45 of 49 Old 07-22-2011, 09:33 PM

Breast pump machine as it's expensive and gives young mama
Hope that she can have a social life some nights with her baby getting
The nutrition as if she's there , lol

Now if she's not breast feeding I'll suggest a car seat- or a fun playful seat-area , always useful and fun

But if you're not really close and don't want to be paying much money
Cloths , shoes and books newborn toys ate always great and not as expensive as the above suggestions
#46 of 49 Old 07-23-2011, 02:13 AM

since she is only three months along you have plenty of time to get a great library going for the new little one.  You can pick up all sorts of great kids books for 25 cents or so at most goodwill or thrift stores.  Make it a point to stop in every time you pass by one.  I added about 60 books to our shelves  for less than 25 dollars just by hunting in all kinds of thrift stores over the course of four weeks. That and a case of baby wipes and diapers - those will never go to waste!

#47 of 49 Old 07-23-2011, 04:27 PM

DH and I's pregnancy was a surprize ( not an unpleasant one though!)  Newly weds... ect.. I have been garage saleing like crazy with my mother... and we've pretty much picked up almost everything we will need. It was a great way for us to spend time together and get abit of exercise on-top of it.  Hitting up the re-sales is also great as suggested.

If you wanna go less practical and more for "mommy to be" I 2x a maternity store giftcard for clothes... I can't say how nice it was for my mom to treat me to some higher quality bras I couldn't afford.  That and having a few shirts that don't inch up my belly when I wear them is nice.  I managed a nice pair of maternity jeans and 2 shirts so when we do go out and do stuff I'm not so self-conciouse,  Which I wouldn't be surpized if she is/will be.  A little comfort will go a long way.

#48 of 49 Old 08-02-2011, 12:17 PM

IF i was pregnant at 18 and people were giving me gifts, I'd want all the expensive gifts like stroller, car seat, high chair, crib etc. I feel like at 18 I wouldn't have funds or a stable well paying job...so I'd want people to get me all the expensive stuff LOL

#49 of 49 Old 08-02-2011, 12:38 PM

I think it would depend on her situation.  If she has good family support and will be living at home (comfortably) and continuing her education her needs might not be the same as an 18 year old trying to find her way in the world on her own with a baby. 

If she's staying at home- maybe an offer to help recreate her bedroom into a family room for she and the baby- this could be cheap and take less than a day to pull off- slap some paint on the walls, set up a sleep-space for baby (a Moses basket?)  some adult space for her to relax and unwind- a comfortable chair perhaps?  An offer to look at what she has to work with and go from there.  

I was a young parent the first time, and overwhelmed by all I thought I had to have. 

Having a baby when you are young (and I was a few years older!) is hard- you are trying to straddle that gap between being you- and still figuring that out, and being a parent- which is a really scary thought and feels like you have to give up the person you are to do it right.  A space to live in that bridges that gap comfortably while retaining some of the fun of being young and excitement about the world can be a really amazing anchor. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page