best presents for a new, young parent? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 07-11-2011, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

If you were 18 and pregnant with your first child, what gift would you really like someone to give you? 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#2 of 49 Old 07-11-2011, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Some sort of infant seat.  I love the Fisher Price Rocker (infant to toddler) It's so nice to have a safe place to set the baby down.

Also, Sophie the Giraffe is nice.  It's an expensive toy that you kinda want, but wouldn't normally spend the money on.

Those big gauzy blankets are awesome!  I can't remember what they are called... but look up swaddling blankets... etsy has some cute prints, but I don't know if they are as soft as the popular brand.

#3 of 49 Old 07-11-2011, 05:17 PM

Dr. Sears The Baby Book?  Would she read it?  i found that book to be my "go to" reference many, many times.

Emma Bryan Fuller likes this.
#4 of 49 Old 07-11-2011, 05:25 PM

If you are close in distance, the gift of time.  Not so she could necessarily drop off the babe and go out with friends (although that might be a nice break) but some one to kind of mentor in a non pushy/judgemental this is what worked for me but this is what works for others kind of way.

#5 of 49 Old 07-11-2011, 05:52 PM

how pregnant?

If she is close to labor I would suggest things that are more for her, but if she is just getting started Id suggest baby items that she might need.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 49 Old 07-11-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

If you are close in distance, the gift of time.  Not so she could necessarily drop off the babe and go out with friends (although that might be a nice break) but some one to kind of mentor in a non pushy/judgemental this is what worked for me but this is what works for others kind of way.

I'm about an hour away.  I've been making supportive comments on Facebook, though.  (She's not married.) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

how pregnant?

If she is close to labor I would suggest things that are more for her, but if she is just getting started Id suggest baby items that she might need.

She's 3 months along. 

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! 

#7 of 49 Old 07-11-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bena View Post

Dr. Sears The Baby Book?  Would she read it?  i found that book to be my "go to" reference many, many times.

I think she would read it, thanks!

#8 of 49 Old 07-11-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

Some sort of infant seat.  I love the Fisher Price Rocker (infant to toddler) It's so nice to have a safe place to set the baby down.

Also, Sophie the Giraffe is nice.  It's an expensive toy that you kinda want, but wouldn't normally spend the money on.

Those big gauzy blankets are awesome!  I can't remember what they are called... but look up swaddling blankets... etsy has some cute prints, but I don't know if they are as soft as the popular brand.

Thanks! 

#9 of 49 Old 07-11-2011, 06:58 PM

The blankets are made by Adien + Anias.They rock.

I wanted to add that I would get her a baby carrier it I was looking for the best gift.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 49 Old 07-11-2011, 07:01 PM

If someone would've bought me The Baby Book and Sophie The Giraffe it would have been the best gift ever :)   so I totally agree with pp. 

selectivevax.gifbfolderchild.gifdelayedvax.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifnocirc.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gifsurf.gif     t.v. free  

Living happily on a little island in the sun
#11 of 49 Old 07-11-2011, 09:04 PM

I was 18 when I had my oldest. My favorite gift was a sling. It was my introduction into baby wearing, and it was wonderful. A massage was another gift that was amazing. It was the most enjoyable day of my entire pregnancy. I really could have used a good book on breastfeeding. I read about nearly everything else imaginable but just assumed nursing would come naturally and didn't think to prepare myself. We had a really tough time and our nursing relationship ended very prematurely because of it. I was more prepared with DS and we still have a great nursing relationship at 11 months (and hopefully will for a long time to come).

JamieCatheryn likes this.
#12 of 49 Old 07-11-2011, 09:10 PM

Depends.... I was 19 when DS was born, and very broke, so I was always hoping people would buy me big things, like a changing table or a crib (which I'm glad no one bought, since we ended up co-sleeping anyways). Clothes are nice, even just goodwill or consignment sale clothes for everyday. Diapers are practical, especially if you can afford to start her out on cloth ones, or just a big box of disposables. Baby carrier would have been great. I loved getting a nursing pillow, it was so handy when DS was little.

#13 of 49 Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 PM

A good baby carrier!!  

The baby book can be picked up at goodwill for a couple bucks, and is a great reference.

If she is interested in cloth diapers that is a great route to go. As a first time mom with no virtually no budget for baby stuff, the hugest blessing has been our friend who passed down cloth diaper stuff.  She got some of it from a diaper service that was discarding stained & worn ones, and they look pretty sad, but we have had to spend almost no money on diapering which is amazing. 

All I felt like I needed were diapers and a carrier, and those were the things people didn't buy from the registry.

Amara ~ Married to my HS sweetheart, we're having a blast with baby Z (1/29/2011)

#14 of 49 Old 07-12-2011, 05:49 AM

In the pregnant stage I would have loved pampering things like massages, pedicures that type of thing. For practicality I would have liked baby items that are useful over a book since money might be an issue at 18. But for me I am not a  book type person so getting me a book on parenting would have just been a waste of money. 

If you know if she is planning on CD then maybe some CD, bouncer seat was a life saver for us since DD didn't like to be worn at all. 

#15 of 49 Old 07-12-2011, 09:19 AM

I was 18 when I had my first baby, I wish I had been exposed to Dr. Sears/AP back then. The only kids I knew whose parents were anything close to AP were such horrible bratty children and I did not want mine turning out that way. Also it would have been nice to have had someone after the birth who understand depression and wouldn't have left me to sit in my bedroom floor with a newborn, both of us crying and me in pain from my nice episiotomy.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#16 of 49 Old 07-12-2011, 11:10 AM

I'd also recommend The Baby Book, maybe in a "set" with The Birth Book, and a sling. Muslin swaddling blankets (I love BambinoLand's) are also very nice.

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#17 of 49 Old 07-12-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaraMonillas View Post

A good baby carrier!!  

The baby book can be picked up at goodwill for a couple bucks, and is a great reference.

If she is interested in cloth diapers that is a great route to go. As a first time mom with no virtually no budget for baby stuff, the hugest blessing has been our friend who passed down cloth diaper stuff.  She got some of it from a diaper service that was discarding stained & worn ones, and they look pretty sad, but we have had to spend almost no money on diapering which is amazing. 

All I felt like I needed were diapers and a carrier, and those were the things people didn't buy from the registry.

Baby carrier as in sling-type thing? 

#18 of 49 Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 PM

I second Dr. Sears's The Baby Book. It is such a great resource and is written in such a gentle, non-judgmental way.

Also, since she's 3 months pregnant, I'd vote for a Old Navy or Motherhood Maternity gift card. It's hard to spend money on yourself when you know you have this very expensive baby coming along!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#19 of 49 Old 07-12-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

Baby carrier as in sling-type thing? 

If you have the dough, I'd go for an Ergo or similar, something easy to strap on that will fit baby for a long time.  Moby is good for little ones but doesn't work when they get a bit bigger, and pocket slings have the same problem.  Maybe you could sniff out some used ones, and give her a variety?

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

#20 of 49 Old 07-12-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

I second Dr. Sears's The Baby Book. It is such a great resource and is written in such a gentle, non-judgmental way.

Also, since she's 3 months pregnant, I'd vote for a Old Navy or Motherhood Maternity gift card. It's hard to spend money on yourself when you know you have this very expensive baby coming along!

Good idea! 

#21 of 49 Old 07-13-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

unless you're a work-outside-the-home mama.  that being said, though, we own it too, and it's a great resource besides that problem.

if she's only 3 months along, maybe a good pregnancy or birthing book.. ina may, or gentle birth choices.. something like that.

some good freezer meals?  that's one nobody suggested yet.  even muffins or cookie dough. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#22 of 49 Old 07-13-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

unless you're a work-outside-the-home mama.  that being said, though, we own it too, and it's a great resource besides that problem.

if she's only 3 months along, maybe a good pregnancy or birthing book.. ina may, or gentle birth choices.. something like that.

some good freezer meals?  that's one nobody suggested yet.  even muffins or cookie dough. 

She lives with her mom, so I assume that she won't need as much help with food as she would if she lived alone.  Thanks, though. 

#23 of 49 Old 07-13-2011, 06:30 PM

I would give one of these:

miracle blanket

swing

moby wrap

They are my favorite three items and I use them the most!

#24 of 49 Old 07-13-2011, 06:42 PM

I had a baby in my teens.  I second the suggestions of either a good car seat, the baby book, or a bouncy seat (somewhere to put down the baby when you pee is always nice!)

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#25 of 49 Old 07-15-2011, 07:09 PM

I like the idea of a baby book - I wish I read Dr. Sears before I had my babe - I'm familiar now with the series but it would have been sooo much better reading those before I gave birth.  (You know, besides What to Expect...)

Another idea, if she's amenable of course, is perhaps paying her admission to a Lamaze or some other birth course, and/or a breastfeeding class.  I did both and found that really helpful.  And on the topic of breastfeeding, I found the latest "Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" super helpful - there's a cool section that helps problem shoot.  Still reference it.

Big tickets:  Car seat.  If she's car-less - or not, whatever - a stroller so that she has a place to carry stuff along with her babe.  I found I always felt better when I had everything I needed even though I rarely *needed* everything, (now it's just my babe, my sling, and my bag).  Toddler seat that rocks (Fisher Price makes one) - it's a cool seat that'll fit a newborn strapped in and grow with the babe.  Wish I had one now!  :)

If she's using disposables, she can never have too many diapers (although she can have too many newborn diapers!)  And wipes.  And nipple shields...a gift basket with super practical stuff me actually be the best gift!     

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#26 of 49 Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 PM

I was 17 when I had my first and I wish someone would have given me a clue! Seriously, I had to figure out things on my own and most the time I didn't have the slightest idea what I was doing. Looking back now a good book that I could reference to would have helped. Someone to talk to so I could figure out what was "normal." Outside of knowledge I would say things that are not so much expensive up front, but add up, like diapers/clothes. Stuff that she will NEED, not just want, that she might not have the money for.

carmel23 likes this.

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

#27 of 49 Old 07-16-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

If you were 18 and pregnant with your first child, what gift would you really like someone to give you? 

Friendship! I think it might be a little lonely being a young parent.  Getting the mama plugged into a caring/supportive community. 

Gifts:

Nursing pads

Ergo or other soft structured carrier

Good AP books

A waterbottle!  But that is a great gift for every new mama--drinking all that water!

A car seat is an excellent idea as well....

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#28 of 49 Old 07-16-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Thanks all!  You've given me a lot of great ideas. 

#29 of 49 Old 07-16-2011, 01:05 PM

The book, How To Raise A Healthy Child In Spite Of Your Doctor,   it was written by a pediatrician Dr Robert Mendelsohn.  I bought several copies (round 10 bucks ea) from amazon and included a copy in the basket of goodies.

#30 of 49 Old 07-16-2011, 03:20 PM

Lots of great ideas!  If you can swing it, a nice convertible carseat (like a Britax Marathon 70) would be an amazing gift.  One that she can use from newborn to toddler and beyond.  She wouldn't have to worry about a carseat for several years.  If you have mutual friends/family maybe you can go in together for one?

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page