What do you think about barefoot children, especially toddlers? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 79 Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would SOOO invite the friend over!  Also, the words "Mind your own business!" have become distressingly underused these days--some people just need to be reminded, sometimes.  My kids go barefoot, unless they choose to put on shoes or we're somewhere where they are necessary or required.  I prefer that no one wear shoes in the house--it makes for less dirt being tracked in.  I am barefoot unless I need shoes.  (Right now, I have a baby due in 3 weeks, and I often wear shoes because the support feels good, but it's not my non-pregnant norm)  My Mom had wide, flat, feet and bunions.  Very seldom did she own a pair of shoes that were comfortable for her.  So, mostly, she didn't wear any.  She stepped on a thumbtack once, and wondered what was going "click!" when she walked for a good while before she even realized she had a tack in the bottom of her bare foot!  Mom never really made us wear shoes, either, and I can remember a few summers where the only shoes we had were cheap flip flops (we'd get new shoes when school started).  When we lived on a working dairy farm, it was required that we wear shoes into the barn, for reasons of possible tetanus if we stepped on a nail, or something.

#62 of 79 Old 07-26-2011, 01:13 PM

Can you sew?  Even a little?  They're not hard to make, at all!  Google "soft leather baby shoes pattern"  There is a lady online who sells an adult sized Robeez-type pattern. as well as a baby one.

#63 of 79 Old 07-26-2011, 01:27 PM

I'm not sure it's even possible, unless you picked up the fungus, and then immediately put on a pair of shoes that don't breathe.  Fungus needs a dark, damp environment.  If you want the best chance of avoiding it, do NOT buy your kids plastic gym shoes.  Even some of the leather ones that have a lot of foam and synthetic fabric as lining, don't breathe very well.  I go barefoot most of the time, and have never had any sort of foot fungus.  DH used to have a problem with athlete's foot, which we cleared up with tea tree oil.  He has to wear shoes at work, of course.  We switched him to wool socks (which, believe it or not, are comfortable in summer, too), rather than cotton, because wool wicks moisture so well that it never gets damp and sweaty, even when we've been chopping firewood in 100 degree weather, and fungus hasn't been a problem since (6 or 7 years, at least)

#64 of 79 Old 07-26-2011, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Wait, kids wear shoes?  

Storm Bride, Stephenie and Dela like this.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#65 of 79 Old 07-26-2011, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Actually, you can get hookworm (this may be the "worm" PP mentioned) walking around barefoot in areas where there have been animal feces, both soil and pavement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookworm

We have a barefoot home because of our preemie.  We don't allow anyone to wear shoes in the house and have service people cover their shoes with those sterile booties surgeons have.  Shoes can track a lot of toxins indoors (fertilizers, pesticides, antifreeze, etc.), as can bare feet that have been outside.  We allow our children to be barefoot outside, but only in our yard and on our sidewalk, which I know are clean.  Mostly, again, I'm paranoid because of the now-toddler preemie, but it helps keep everyone safe.  Anyone who's been barefoot outside gets their feet washed off with water and distilled vinegar when coming in again.

When I was growing up, we were allowed to be barefoot in the immediate area around our house, including pavement and both back and front yards.

#66 of 79 Old 07-29-2011, 06:21 PM

Stormbride, when your neighbor says "everyone" is talking about your barefoot kids, what she means is, she brings up the subject every chance she gets and whoever she's mentioned it to has come to realize the only way to shut her up is to pretend they agree. Or she's just flat out lying. Your neighbor is using "everyone" as a club to try to control you. I'm glad you're not letting her win, although I know this kind of endless hostility can wear a mother down. I'm sure there are plenty of people who just cave to get her off their backs. I was married to someone like that, long ago...the best thing you can do is just call her on it. "Oh really, everyone? Can you get them to sign a petition?"

#67 of 79 Old 07-29-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isonomist View Post

Stormbride, when your neighbor says "everyone" is talking about your barefoot kids, what she means is, she brings up the subject every chance she gets and whoever she's mentioned it to has come to realize the only way to shut her up is to pretend they agree. Or she's just flat out lying. Your neighbor is using "everyone" as a club to try to control you. I'm glad you're not letting her win, although I know this kind of endless hostility can wear a mother down. I'm sure there are plenty of people who just cave to get her off their backs. I was married to someone like that, long ago...the best thing you can do is just call her on it. "Oh really, everyone? Can you get them to sign a petition?"

Thanks for the words of support. I know that her next door neighbour also has a thing about my kids being barefoot, and I suspect the neighbour I was originally talking about has decided to focus on her ally, and ignore the existence of anyone who disagrees with her.

I don't think she really reported me, anyway. If she did, I'm less worried about it all the time, as our major declutter/room round robin (we're switching around all the bedrooms) is getting closer and closer to completion. It's also more obvious every day that we really are moving things around (eg. the bedroom dd1 and ds2 were using is empty, except for a futon, and there's a bunch of their stuff crammed into our room right now), so if someone did decide to take her seriously and show up here, it wouldn't look bad, yk?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#68 of 79 Old 12-28-2011, 09:07 AM

We are pretty much a totally barefoot family. My kids have never worn shoes unless they absolutely have to. All through life, my kids haven't been used to wearing shoes at any time unless they are in a place where they are required to--and most of the time, we just avoided such places. Once school ended at the end of May, my kids shoes came off and they didn't wear shoes at all all summer. And if you press the issue, you would be surprised how many public places actually back down on their "no barefeet policy," including stores, the library, and yes, even restaurants.

#69 of 79 Old 12-28-2011, 12:30 PM

I wouldn't let them walk in a store barefoot... but, in my yard, we go barefoot all the time.  I have other parent that think that's odd.

#70 of 79 Old 12-28-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

It's interesting that this thread just came back up. I was re-reading it, and noticed a few posts about stepping on nails. My 10 year old nephew was recently at ER for 7 hours, and had to walk with crutches for several days, because a nail went through his foot (on an angle...sank in about 4" - OUCH!). He was running around at school, and a board came loose from a garden bed when his friend knocked into it, and then he stepped on it. He was wearing shoes. I get the glass thing, and the tack thing...but I've never understood how shoes are supposed to help if someone steps on a nail.

And, ouch - my feet are hurting just thinking about it.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#71 of 79 Old 12-28-2011, 02:17 PM

Ouch!  Shoes are no protection at all....both my children , aged 3 and 5 years, have been 100% barefoot since birth, without any problems at all. Their feet are strong and well developed. I haven't had any shoes on my feet for about the last four years, so I am a committed barefooter, which is not uncommon down here in New Zealand. Children need the sensory 'feel' of textures underfoot, as do their mummies!

#72 of 79 Old 12-28-2011, 04:34 PM

I have rejected shoes all my life, at the most extreme going about 6 months, including two trips through Mexico without ever putting on a pair. Needless to say, my children have been minimally shod. The funniest thing is, they all seem to go through a phase where they insist on wearing shoes.

Now we live in a place where bare feet are common, not quite so much a part of the culture as in NZ, but still widely accepted. It's still expected to wear shoes in stores, but in our crunchy small town it is often overlooked, and I have many times seen women in offices (even government offices!) going shoeless behind the desk, and shoes are never worn in homes. Even in school, though shoes are required, they are often taken off in class (my son's teacher said that when she was growing up, no one wore shoes to school). So I carry a pair of flip-flops with me and slip them on when I have to go somewhere I think someone might care.

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#73 of 79 Old 12-29-2011, 10:34 AM

Well my only child is only 3mo old, but if she's anything like me, she won't wear shoes very often! Her father, on the other hand, is rarely seen without his shoes on. I guess we shall see, but I am totally fine with her only wearing shoes when she wants to, unless we are somewhere that she could get hurt. I've had plenty of comments made throughout my life when I have been barefoot, but I just laugh and make light of it, especially when someone is disgusted by my barefeet...those are usually the same people who prefer to wear shoes that are bad for their feet and uncomfortable...to each his own!! orngtongue.gif

#74 of 79 Old 12-29-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shann View Post

We are pretty much a totally barefoot family. My kids have never worn shoes unless they absolutely have to. All through life, my kids haven't been used to wearing shoes at any time unless they are in a place where they are required to--and most of the time, we just avoided such places. Once school ended at the end of May, my kids shoes came off and they didn't wear shoes at all all summer. And if you press the issue, you would be surprised how many public places actually back down on their "no barefeet policy," including stores, the library, and yes, even restaurants.

Great to see another barefoot family! There is no way here in New Zealand our Child Services would take any complaint seriously about barefoot children. All kids here are barefoot, all through summer and winter. My two boys never wear shoes, they dont own any - the eldest boy has just started school and he goes barefoot. Im a barefoot mummy, as many others are here, and quite happily go everywhere in barefeet, shopping, visiting friends and family, restaurants, family outings, I even work as a teacher aide and do that in barefeet. It is so much more comfortable and better for my feet to not be cramped into ugly shoes. I haver not had apair of shoes on my barefeet for over four years and very proud of it!

#75 of 79 Old 12-30-2011, 08:43 AM

My kids are barefoot a lot. Not outside in the summer, we live in the desert and it's 110-120 degrees in the summer. When the weather is nice, we're all barefoot!

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#76 of 79 Old 01-03-2012, 10:08 AM

I know it's an old thread recently revived, but thought I'd peep in. 

I'm a barefooter - I take my shoes off the second I come inside.  I put them on before I go out because I don't care for splinters or glass either one, and we have plenty around here.  I put shoes or socks on to keep my feet warm for the most part. 

DS seems to take after me with the very wide, difficult to fit feet, and he takes his shoes off constantly.  I finally found a pair of slipper socks that he seems to like and will leave on all day, just because our floor is so bloody cold and I got sick of the cold feet under my shirt. 

DH on the other hand doesn't like being barefoot.  He goes from shoes to slippers and back again.  Only during the hottest days of summer does he go without (inside the house). 

As for shoes protecting - from glass possibly, from splinters definitely.  From nails, not usually.  I've had a nail go through the sole of a shoe at least twice and wound up in the ER because of it (as a kid).  As an adult I've learned to watch where I put my feet.

I do not go out in public barefoot, and I don't let DS walk barefoot, but if he's in a shopping cart or a carrier/stroller, or in arms I don't care.  But just last week we had a bit of a run in with someone.  We were driving home from our Xmas trip, and stopped for lunch in a tiny little wide spot in the road.  It was pouring rain with 55 mph gusts, I wasn't going to stand in that long enough to wrestle socks and shoes on DS (his slip-on shoes were soaked), and since I wasn't going to let him walk outside anyway, what diff did it make?  I picked him up, bundled him under my jacket and ran inside.  Straight to a table, put him in a booster with crayons and he was happy as a clam.  We ate, and as we walk up to the cash register some lady grabs his toes and exclaims in shock that they're warm!  She was going to admonish me that he should have shoes on.  A few minutes later as I was waiting under cover for DH to get the car unlocked, same woman grabs his toes again, and is again shocked at how warm they are.  I mean seriously?  It was bad enough you did it once, but it's been less than 5 minutes and you're doing it again?  Geeze!  Yes, it's storming, but it's not like I'm letting him splash in puddles barefoot.  I was carrying him from heated restaurant to heated car.  Some people just have nothing good to think about anything outside their comfort zone. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#77 of 79 Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 PM

My daughter is barefoot 100% of the time at home, and A LOT of the time even when we're playing outside. She does wear shoes whenever we leave the house, however. I'm always barefoot, too, so it's not something I put much thought in to.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#78 of 79 Old 01-07-2012, 12:56 AM

We travel and most places, DD and I both are barefoot most of the time, inside and out. However, in our home city (NY), there's just SO much trash, industrial crap, chemicals, and god knows what other nasties, I don't allow her to here. I feel bad about that, but it's life. It makes me sad that I can feel more comfortable with my child walking around "dirty" streets in India, and yet NY squicks me out. We don't wear shoes inside, no exceptions.

In most other places, we're 100% or just about barefoot. I too think it's beneficial for foot development, as well as athletic ability and overall wellbeing, connectedness.

#79 of 79 Old 08-31-2013, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Interesting thread! There are some pretty strong feelings both ways about going barefoot. But we do have lots of barefoot adults who think it's better for you than shoe wearing. Check out our Barefooters group forum:thumb

Tags
Children In Changing Families Life After Parental Separation Understanding Childrens Worlds , Children With School Phobia Child Psychology

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page