"I had a Sharpie. I was bored." (Kids say the darndest things) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 69 Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

For a total fluff thread, I thought we could share things our children have said recently, and the age and context if they will add to the merriment.

My starting comment, "I had a Sharpie. I was bored" was uttered by my DD when she saw the look on my face when I saw the extensive art work she had created on her LEG. Sadly, she's 13.

VocalMinority and Imakcerka like this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#2 of 69 Old 07-25-2011, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

:)

the only cute thing i can think of is my 2 year old telling my 11m old in the bath tub, "THI-THUR (victor) sit dooooooooooowwnnnn." when the baby is standing up lol

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#3 of 69 Old 07-26-2011, 08:51 AM

My kids (teenagers included) draw on themselves with sharpies all the time, I have never cared about that. My only rule was not to do it if they were going to spend the night with someone.

When my youngest was about 2 or 3, she came up to me with a blue mouth and announced, "I didn't lick the marker!" When she had just turned 1 and was learning not to touch the Christmas tree, she'd grab onto a branch and lean over to look at me and grin and say, "Hey! Hey! hey!" Also during her toddler years, when she'd do something she shouldn't, she'd say, "Why I do dat, mama?" Sometimes I'd have to go and figure out just what it was she did...She was a very interesting toddler!

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#4 of 69 Old 07-26-2011, 08:56 AM

When we got off the plane in Minneapolis after flying from the west coast, dd announced, "wow, it's humid. I can really feel the humility! "

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#5 of 69 Old 07-26-2011, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Around the fire at my parents cabin, DS was throwing sticks in & tripping over people's feet, so naturally I was telling him to be careful, stay back, etc. He threw his hands up in frustration and said "Ugh! I feel like I'm being supervised!" I failed at the not laughing thing.

matte likes this.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#6 of 69 Old 07-26-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

For a total fluff thread, I thought we could share things our children have said recently, and the age and context if they will add to the merriment.

My starting comment, "I had a Sharpie. I was bored" was uttered by my DD when she saw the look on my face when I saw the extensive art work she had created on her LEG. Sadly, she's 13.

Funny you should post this.  My dd is enamored of henna art, and loves to draw designs on herself with INDELIBLE marker.

#7 of 69 Old 07-26-2011, 01:22 PM

About a week or so ago, my five yo DD came to me to show me her "baby" (a stuffed animal, I think it was a rabbit that day). She said she had to go give her baby a bottle of formula because baby was hungry. Since I have exclusively breastfed both of her younger brothers, I was a little surprised by this and asked her why she didn't give her baby num-nums (breastmilk). She looked at me like I was an idiot and said "Because I'm too little to make mommy milk!" like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Ahhh, gotta love kids. :D

sunma, bananabee, matte and 1 others like this.

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#8 of 69 Old 07-26-2011, 02:19 PM

Yesterday DD1 asked me "Why is there so much crazy business going on?"

obstruct livery vehicles

#9 of 69 Old 07-26-2011, 05:49 PM

Dd and her best friend decided to draw on my wall.They are 13yo!What did they draw?Me and the creepy neighbor who is older than my parents who is always coming on to me(ewwwww) as stick figures kissing.Then they drew a heart with my name and his in it,together forever.With pen,so it will be difficult to get off with a magic eraser.And the worse part is,this guy came into my room to ask me something(my room is half of a double parlor,so not exactly private).Thankfully there was a pillow covering that part of the wall!!

bananabee likes this.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#10 of 69 Old 07-26-2011, 06:43 PM

DH was complaining today about how I always make beans and weiners without the beans.  A little later, I made beans (no weiners, yuck!) and DS (11) said, very dead-pan, "I don't see any weiners".  I was just about to grumble when I saw the small smirk.

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#11 of 69 Old 07-26-2011, 06:59 PM

Two nights ago, my husband and I were in the front yard with our 2.5 year old daughter.  We were watering the flowers and playing with the hose.  My husband sprayed my daughter (as we have been doing every night in the heat) and she replied, "Daddy stop it, you don't do that to people".

Then of course he put the hose down, she promptly picked it up and sprayed him with it :-)

#12 of 69 Old 07-26-2011, 07:38 PM

As she's picking her wedgie my 3 yo DD says, "Ugh, I have a wedgie in my butt. Mom, why I always get wedgies?" 

#13 of 69 Old 07-26-2011, 08:59 PM

when dd1 was ~22 months, she poked her head out of the bathroom to say "what are you doing, not a toy!" since she knew full well that she shouldn't be playing in the bathroom.

the other night, dd2 announced she was going grocery shopping and dd1 says "well, we'll miss you kid."  i just about fell off my chair.

dd2 proudly showing me her finger after having picked her nose, i asked if she had boogies on her finger and she replied "no, breakfast!"

Super~Single~Mama likes this.

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#14 of 69 Old 07-27-2011, 06:47 AM

Our most recent giggle - ds, 4, took a two week swim class. He learned swimming skills, but, has not learned to swim yet. The next time we went to the pool, he announced " I don't have to wear floaties, I can swim! I have my certificate!"
Yeah... a certificate of completion doesn't actually mean you can swim... smile.gif
#15 of 69 Old 08-01-2011, 05:19 PM

DD just-turned-2, while I was getting dressed: "mama boo (blue) bra. two milkies inthere." 

bananabee likes this.
#16 of 69 Old 08-01-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummoth View Post

Around the fire at my parents cabin, DS was throwing sticks in & tripping over people's feet, so naturally I was telling him to be careful, stay back, etc. He threw his hands up in frustration and said "Ugh! I feel like I'm being supervised!" I failed at the not laughing thing.

Ha ha!  Love this one!

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#17 of 69 Old 08-01-2011, 06:51 PM

DS, 3:

"I think it's cool how they made people have feet."
purplerose likes this.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#18 of 69 Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Background to understand this one:

1. Ds is majorly into sports.

2. We're visiting relatives in Wisconsin. The state animal is the badger. The mascot of the Univ. of Wisconsin teams is the Badger. (Bucky Badger, I believe.) 

We were driving and saw a bus that said "Badger Coaches" on the side. Ds said "Is that bus only for the Badger's coaches?" I think he had visions of all the sports coaches riding only that bus.

(We explained about the second meaning of 'coach' = bus.)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#19 of 69 Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 PM

I was making dinner one night and it included bacon.   DH and I like it crispy....DS likes it rubbery....lol  So I gave him his special bacon pieces and he says to me "yummm.....baaaaacccccooonnn!    Serving this for dinner is a fine way to show respect to a young man such as myself!"   He was 6!

We have a family joke kinda where say Shut the front door!   You know like in the commercial and it sounds like she's about to say shut the f*** up.   Well DD3 says Shut the back door!   She will not say front.  lol   It's always back door.  

DD3 also tells me, when I inquire as to why she's sleeping in her undies....it feels better.  The sheets and blanket feel nice on you skin.  You should sleep naked Mommy.   (DH&DS sleep in undies, but have never said anything about sheets, so I'm not sure where this comes from!)

DS also once put a rice krispie in his ear.   He said he wanted to know what it sounded like. He was 4. 

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#20 of 69 Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

At the library the other day, I had my 2yo on my back.  She told me she was feeling tired and I said we'd go just as soon as I had found my last book.  With kind of a huff of exasperation, she replied, "We have books at home!"

#21 of 69 Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 PM

During the flu outbreak a couple years ago my son (7th grader? 8th?) and I were talking in the car about how more than 50% of the students in his school were out sick.  I then went on to complement his wonderful immune system since he never gets sick.  Absolutely dead pan he says "must be all the boogers I ate as a child...."  Ewwwwwwwwwww

cyclamen, mamaboss and bananabee like this.
#22 of 69 Old 08-04-2011, 08:16 AM

DD (26 months), while in the middle of a bad cold, asked me in frustration, "Mama, how glue get in my nose?" 

This morning, she was nursing happily, then suddenly unlatched, looked up at me, and said, "Wanna chocolate mama milk now." 

Katie T and bananabee like this.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#23 of 69 Old 08-04-2011, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

There was a commercial on the radio that explained how breastfeeding lowers your risk of getting diabetes and all sorts of  other things.  During most of the commercial the girls were arguing until the commercial stated all the health benefits.  Both girls stopped and whispered to each other.  Next thing I know I got a round of applause and whistle blowing, pats on the back and thank yous for breastfeeding them.  My oldest told me she was proud of my efforts.  Ha!

#24 of 69 Old 08-04-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post

DD (26 months), while in the middle of a bad cold, asked me in frustration, "Mama, how glue get in my nose?" 

This morning, she was nursing happily, then suddenly unlatched, looked up at me, and said, "Wanna chocolate mama milk now." 

LOL! My DD1 is lactose intolerant so she drinks soymilk, sometimes chocolate. When I was pregnant with DD2 she asked if she would have that too. I told her that no, she would nurse. DD1 (also nursed until about 2) then requested we put chocolate soymilk in my boobs! LOL!

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#25 of 69 Old 08-11-2011, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Today, I was putting my three-year-old in her carseat when she said "Mummy, can I have Miles' blanket on my knees? It's very cold." I put it on, and without skipping a beat she said "Also, can I have my window down? It's hot."

cyclamen, mamaboss and bananabee like this.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#26 of 69 Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 AM

A new one from my toddler! 

DH and I were trying to make plans for the evening without DD's input.  DH said to me, "Should we get a M-O-V-I-E tonight, or try for a W-A-L-K to the P-L-A-Y-G-R-O-U-N-D?"  DD looked from one to the other and announced, "I wanna A-B-C-D!"

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#27 of 69 Old 08-11-2011, 11:02 AM

We were coming back from vacation, and I was commenting to my kids that their hair had gotten lighter because of all the time they'd spent swimming outdoors. Dd looked at my hair and said, "Well, your hair is lighter, but it's mostly because you've got a lot of gray hairs. But at least the hair on your legs is still dark!"

#28 of 69 Old 08-11-2011, 01:01 PM

My dd weaned about six months ago. Recently, she's been asking to nurse again. The other day, she asked and I told her my milk is all gone now. She said "Go get more muks. Go buy some at Target."

bananabee likes this.

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#29 of 69 Old 08-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ooh, another one from DD yesterday - I was sewing, she was playing with my measuring tape.

"Mummy, come here, I want to measure you. You're..." (stretching out tape) "...six months!"

In her defence, we recently watched Mary Poppins.

bananabee likes this.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#30 of 69 Old 08-11-2011, 02:12 PM

Over the weekend, I told DS7 to come bring a toy to his room.  Totally dead pan he says.....not now mom....I'm training to be a ninja.  and he walked out.  

Once I regained myself, I look out in the yard and he's carrying his bike on his shoulders around the yard...... 

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page