My worst-ever day of parenting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Today sucked for many, many reasons, but chiefly this:

At noon today, DD1 wanted to go to the neighbor's house. It's two doors down, and she and the neighbor kids have played together constantly all summer long. Back and forth, back and forth. She heads over. Around four (and I realize that's a long time, but they seriously play for HOURS - it's summer, and they love the swing sets and sandbox and what have you) I head over to check on her. The neighbor tells me she saw her at twelve, hasn't seen her in "a long time" and doesn't remember when she left! I PANIC. We have had conversation after conversation this summer about her letting me know where she is - she's only allowed at that neighbor's house and the one in-between our houses. I knock at the in-between neighbor's house - no answer. Load up the little kids and drive around. Don't see her. Call my husband and tell him I think we should call the police - I mean, it's been possibly FOUR hours since anyone has seen her, and I can't find her?

Long story short, the police come, and almost immediately find her next door. Don't know why they didn't answer their door earlier.

Then I get my butt chewed by the police about my lack of supervision. I try to explain that she's only allowed to go to those two houses - so the cops won't think I'm insane - and one of them says "Why don't you stop making excuses, and just do better?"

I also get a snarky comment from her about why I waited four hours. I thought DD was happily playing with her friends!

Another officer told me I should be physically walking her to their door every time. Which makes me wonder when they would approve of me not doing that, since there are tons of kids who walk home from school - a mile away - every day. And another officer told me that he is ALWAYS outside when his kids are. Again, at what age can I stop doing that? My oldest two are six and four, and I honestly thought they were ok playing in my yard or the neighbors' yard. (Please don't ream me if you disagree, I really can't take it tonight and I've already decided they have to be within my sight at all times for the foreseeable future). And while I can see the officers' perhaps telling me to increase my supervision (because DD HAS proven she's not ready for this by breaking the rule about telling me where she was) I don't need to feel like the worse parent ever, either. My kids are loved, they're well nourished, they're clean, I'm doing the best I can!

I thought I had this great village where we all watched out for each other's children and my kids were so lucky to have playmates, and now I'm wondering if all the neighbors think I'm a negligent mother.

I would call my mom and cry to her, but she died three weeks ago so that's no longer an option either.

I just feel so beaten down right now.

#2 of 35 Old 08-03-2011, 08:50 PM

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear all of that. That must have felt scary and horrible, embarrassing and infuriating all rolled into one.

I always think about that with my son. He's 8 now, but sometimes he just does NOT want to go into the store with me! So I have this big debate. Although *I* know I can trust him, and he will just sit in the car and draw and keep himself busy, and the temperature outside isn't too hot, but the windows are all open a small amount anyway for fresh air, and the car is locked........even after ALL THAT I worry that someone with different parenting ideas will come along and get me in trouble with the authorities.

That reminds me of this lady, Lenore Skenazy, who coined the term "free range kids":

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

At age 6, my son was not ready for the type of freedom you describe. I think at that age he'd wander off, forgetting any admonitions on my part to stick to a certain plan. It's an attention-span thing. But now I would probably send him to a friend's house two blocks away (if he had any friends close by....which he doesn't.....boo hoo!!) and even so, I'd wonder if "others" would cause a stink if they saw him roaming around unattended. We're homeschoolers and so I don't know what age is appropriate for this sort of thing. We've never had the occasion yet to let him roam. I do dislike the fear-based overprotectiveness that I sometimes see in "mainstream" kid society.

Anyway I hope you feel better soon.

#3 of 35 Old 08-03-2011, 09:04 PM

*HUGS* Mama.  Go easy on yourself, especially the next few months.  My mom died about 18 months ago, and even though my relationship with her wasn't that great, it was still rough going the first year.  The second year is... different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaofprincesses View Post

I thought I had this great village where we all watched out for each other's children and my kids were so lucky to have playmates, and now I'm wondering if all the neighbors think I'm a negligent mother.

I would call my mom and cry to her, but she died three weeks ago so that's no longer an option either.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#4 of 35 Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 AM

I think the police were out of line. They're probably in a constant "worst case scenario" mode because they obviously are the ones who see crime and problems, not perfectly happy kids who went next door to play and then came home. They were picking on you, frankly. I don't think your choice was outrageous in the least.

I'm sorry about your mom, too.
Wolfcat likes this.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#5 of 35 Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 AM

I'm so sorry about your mom.  That must be hard. 

I agree with pp though, the police were out of line.  In their defense though, they see some pretty terrible things - and responding to a call about a missing child is probably upsetting to them (especially if they are parents themselves).  I'm glad your dd is OK, and it sounds like you have a plan for making sure it doesn't happen again.  hug.gif

#6 of 35 Old 08-04-2011, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

i agree with pp, your dd is okay they really didn't need to add to the trauma. give yourself the okay to just let this go and not play the what if game. hug2.gif

mama to one '07 and one '09
#7 of 35 Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:

hug2.gifI am so sorry. Just what you don't need right now.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#8 of 35 Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 AM

The police are wrong. A 6 year old can go 2 doors down safely. Especially now, after she sees what happened.

A few years ago we were camping, dds were 5 and 11 or 6 and 12, I can't remember which year! They disappeared in the campground, couldn't find them anywhere, strange area, river nearby. I called 911. Police came, we went back to the campsite, the dog started barking at them. The girls yelled from the playground less than 40 feet away to the dogs. They were in a vertical tunnel and couldn't hear me, but could hear the dogs. The police were all "glad they're safe, we like calls that end like this", and lauged when dd2 asked me if I was going to be arrested for calling 911 when there was no emergency!
#9 of 35 Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
6-year-olds are IME plenty old to go two doors away by themselves. In my neighborhood, the age for that kind of thing - going two doors away - is about 4. By 6 the kids have the whole street. By 8, the whole neighborhood.

The police officer only lets his kids play outside when he can be outside with them? Is he aware of the consequences of limiting children's outdoor play? That would be my question for him. Every choice we make has the concequences we plan, and unintended consequences, and we have to consider both to make a good choice.

Sorry about your mom. Hugs to you!
#10 of 35 Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 AM

I agree - a 6 year old is plenty old enough to go 2 doors down. Heavens, my dd has been doing that since she was 4. She is often gone for a couple of hours without my checking up on her (she's 7 now). Remember, the police see the worst case scenarios all the time. I know someone who's an ER physician. They own every safety device known to human kind. Things that the rest of us see as 'rare', he sees every day. The police have a warped perspective. I can't imagine that they reamed you out. Personally, I'd file a complaint. Their behavior was unprofessional. "why don't you stop making excuses and do better"? Really??? That's terrible. 

I'm sorry you had a bad scare. I'm sorry about your mom. I'm sorry the police weren't sympathetic. 

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#11 of 35 Old 08-04-2011, 11:19 AM

First, Hugs mama hug2.gif

I think the police were out of line.  They aren't experts in mothering, they are experts in law enforcement.  You didn't break any laws, so she was giving you her own ideas about mothering.  And she was being a jerk about it.  The appropriateness of letting a kid walk two doors down by themselves depends on the kid and the neighborhood.  You know better than anyone else, certainly more than a police officer who has never met your kid, whether they should be doing that.  The fact that it went a little wrong (mainly, the fluke of the front door not being answered, not wrong in that your child went someplace they shouldn't) doesn't mean that you did anything wrong.  At some point, your child will step out of bounds, and the interaction you have when they do will help them to grow up and mature.

Anka

purslaine likes this.

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#12 of 35 Old 08-04-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

The police officer only lets his kids play outside when he can be outside with them? Is he aware of the consequences of limiting children's outdoor play? That would be my question for him. Every choice we make has the concequences we plan, and unintended consequences, and we have to consider both to make a good choice.

Exactly! I mentioned this incident to my kids' physician's assistant this morning, (we were there for something else) and he completely disagreed with the officer. Then he showed me an article with research that says parents who supervise too much can contribute to mood and anxiety disorders in children! So obviously there's more than one school of thought, and my allowing this doesn't make me the worst parent ever.

Thanks for the support, everyone. I feel much better knowing I'm not the only mama who would at least let her kids try to handle this responsibility. We'll try again eventually.

#13 of 35 Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Yup out of line, first off two doors down is fine.  Also I don't know about your neighborhood  but when the neighbor kids leave our houses we watch them go or call their house to make sure they got home.  Unless of course theres a lot of back and forth going on.  Maybe you guys can adopt this so that you don't have to take away the freedom to be a kid over this incident. Good luck and hope you're doing ok.

bananabee likes this.
#14 of 35 Old 08-04-2011, 04:13 PM

I think that was totally appropriate for a 6 year old, and your DD is learning responsibility and that you have trust in her.  Give it a go again when you feel comfortable.  I'm sure this was a learning experience for your daughter,too.

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#15 of 35 Old 08-04-2011, 05:39 PM

You need a margarita, stat!!!

You didn't do anything wrong, and I agree with the others that the police officer was completely out of line.  I mean, way to add insult to injury.  You had no reason to think that anything bad was going to happen.  Please don't let this one incident break your spirit.

Hugs to you on losing your mom, too.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#16 of 35 Old 08-05-2011, 06:00 AM

The cops we harsh. That said I would walk my kids and pick them up. I would do the same if they were walking to school.Most times nothing happens,but tell that to the parents whose kids have been taken forever.

#17 of 35 Old 08-05-2011, 06:21 AM

Totally OT, but your Avatar made me almost pee my pants! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Yup out of line, first off two doors down is fine.  Also I don't know about your neighborhood  but when the neighbor kids leave our houses we watch them go or call their house to make sure they got home.  Unless of course theres a lot of back and forth going on.  Maybe you guys can adopt this so that you don't have to take away the freedom to be a kid over this incident. Good luck and hope you're doing ok.

#18 of 35 Old 08-05-2011, 07:28 AM

Um, hi, my name is AverysMomma and I'm sick of the damn police. I know us northern, middle class, non-criminal farmer type ladies don't often make it to the top of the list of people you might think of when you imagine what a "cop hater" looks like....but I do. I hate seeing them, I hate it when they pull me over for a license plate bulb being out, I hate it when they try to tell me what I should be doing or why what I'm doing is wrong. I absolutely cannot stand law enforcement.

My problem is not so much with individual police, it's with what Law Enforcement has become. Cops are like plumbers. There are good plumbers and bad ones. There are bad plumbers who are good people....and good plumbers who are bad people....just as there are cops who are great and cops who aren't so great as HUMAN BEINGS.

A cop is not a cop because they are some super brilliant, super human...they are cops because they made a career choice. COP is a job, not a human characteristic that makes a person more qualified at life. You don't even have to be that smart to be a police officer. There are some BRILLIANT cops out there....but there are also some DUMB AS ROCKS cops out there. Just like bankers and mechanics and roofers and politicians. My favorite, is when fresh faced dude who looks like he's been old enough to shave for about 12 minutes, who doesn't have any kids, thinks he can tell people all about what they should be doing with their kids because he's in "The Uniform". It's disgusting.

Don't ever, ever sit in front of an officer of the law and let them counsel you in any way that does not feel good. Don't let them make you feel like you are failing as a parent, don't let them make you feel like they know about some scary dangers that "if you could only see what they've seen" you'd do things differently. You know what you feel comfortable with, you know that the world is nuts....you make the choices you make based on a balanced view of your neighborhood and you have a right to have a different view of parenting than Johnny Law.

You didn't call the cops for parenting advice....and as much as so many cops loooove to play "morality police" - the fact is they are not. You called them, because you imagined there was an emergency. As a tax payer, you have a right to call and receive the service of the police any time you feel there is an emergent situation that you cannot handle.

You called them. There was no crime to stop. End of police interaction. Next time a cop tries to lecture you on the side of the road, at your own damn house, tell him "Thanks for coming, hero, but your job is done here."  - don't take anything from an officer of the law that you wouldn't take from some stranger passing by.

And for the record, I have a couple of friends who are cops....and they have earned my respect as human beings and I love them. I don't "hate" actual individual cops, because just as I believe you have to earn respect, I'm also not going to preemptive DISlike someone just because of their career choice. My gripe is with this insane twist in law enforcement over the last decade or so. My problem is with the mindless hero worship and god complex that so many cops seem to be walking around with these days. I'm sick of people who are non-criminals having to interact with law enforcement so much and I'm sick of these crazy cops walking around thinking they can just tell me what do to or give me unsolicited advice like they are some morally superior, mentally more capable human being.

Do you know that I recently had a cop, mounted on a horse, yell out to me that I needed to be holding my DDs hand as we walked down a small street with hardly any cars on a lazy afternoon. She was walking perfectly happy right beside me (we were on a raised, paved sidewalk, with a landscaped median strip between our sidewalk and the road)....and he yells out "you really need to be holding her hand so close to the street" - and then looks at me, like he's expecting that I'm going to look apologetic for my "moron parenting" and snatch up her hand as quickly as I could. I'm telling you, that is the kind of crap I'm sick to death of. THe guy is lucky my kids were right with me and I don't believe in making scenes in public...I'm so so so so so sick of cops.

Anyway. Sorry for the rant. Don't you let those idiots make you feel badly, what you were doing is not only okay, but TOTALLY normal. Most people I know with 6 year olds let them walk to a neighbor friends house to play. That's so so so normal.

I'm also really sorry to hear about your mom...that's terrible and I'm so sad for your loss. ::hugs::

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#19 of 35 Old 08-05-2011, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Quote:

And another officer told me that he is ALWAYS outside when his kids are. Again, at what age can I stop doing that?

Opinions vary widely. I had another mother at a swim meet this summer go off on me because I let my kids walk back and forth to school without me. It's a 5 minute walk and doesn't cross any major streets. It's so close that it should measured in yards, not miles. It's a nice neighborhood, and one of our older neighbors who walks his toy poodle at the same time so sees them a lot, jokes with them about how they are "off to the salt mines." 

My kids are 13 and 14.

Seriously.

One is starting high school this year and some people think she still isn't old enough to walk for 5 minutes without me. dizzy.gif

It's odd to me that amount of precautions we take with even big kids and teens. The school will call me if my kids are even a minute late because with kids who travel on their own, it's considered a safety issue. Most of the kids who travel on their own have a cell phone in case there is an emergency. If they leave the school more than 5 minutes late, they have to sign at the office so if their parent calls worried about them, there is a record of exactly when they left.

This is a nice neighborhood in the burbs of a not very big city.

Did I mention that my kids are teenagers?

I think our society is a little crazy.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#20 of 35 Old 08-05-2011, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My parents were about as restrictive and protective as any I knew growing up, and at 6 I was all over the street without their eyes on me at all times. I walked to school with a girl 1 year older than me. The cops were way out of line.

That being said, maybe a little different system might help avoid this in the future? (And no, I don't mean never let them out of your sight!) What if she were to call when she was leaving the first house to go somewhere else? What if the neighbors were in agreement to call you when the kids leave/arrive at their houses, so everyone knows where everyone's kids are? What about setting up a "time" to check in, like two hours after she leaves the house, or by 3 every day? Just a thought.

#21 of 35 Old 08-05-2011, 07:59 AM

I was gonna say I kinda saw the other moms hesitations about walking even 5 mins from home to school, until I saw your childrens ages.  MY WORD.  I thought you were gonna say they were second graders or something.  Even that age can be muddied, but TEENAGERS?  lord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

Opinions vary widely. I had another mother at a swim meet this summer go off on me because I let my kids walk back and forth to school without me. It's a 5 minute walk and doesn't cross any major streets. It's so close that it should measured in yards, not miles. It's a nice neighborhood, and one of our older neighbors who walks his toy poodle at the same time so sees them a lot, jokes with them about how they are "off to the salt mines." 

My kids are 13 and 14.

Seriously.

One is starting high school this year and some people think she still isn't old enough to walk for 5 minutes without me. dizzy.gif

It's odd to me that amount of precautions we take with even big kids and teens. The school will call me if my kids are even a minute late because with kids who travel on their own, it's considered a safety issue. Most of the kids who travel on their own have a cell phone in case there is an emergency. If they leave the school more than 5 minutes late, they have to sign at the office so if their parent calls worried about them, there is a record of exactly when they left.

This is a nice neighborhood in the burbs of a not very big city.

Did I mention that my kids are teenagers?

I think our society is a little crazy.

#22 of 35 Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Thanks makes me laugh!  NO WIRE HANGERS!

#23 of 35 Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 AM

"Yes, mommy dearest." 

Whenever my mom was in a bad mood, I would call her that if she hollered to me to do something.  I swear she really DID turn into Joan when I said that.  LMAO!  "MOmmy dearest?!?!?!  I'll show you mommy dearest......."  Of course we were both kidding.  Its still a standing joke between the two of us. 

#24 of 35 Old 08-05-2011, 11:56 AM

I'm so sorry this happened to you.  I'm a cop, and I think those cops were out of line too.  I subscribe to a pretty free-range approach to child-rearing, and even though my DS is only 22 months right now, I don't see it being a problem for him to go two houses away in a few years.  Even now I don't watch him every single second or hover over him when we're outside.  And walking a 6-year-old two houses away seems like serious overkill, unless you live in the absolute worst part of town.

The crazy amount of precautions most parents take with their kids is ridiculous, and is often misplaced.  They worry about their kids being "snatched" by some random wacko, but almost all abductions are by family or acquaintances.  I've been an officer for 4 years and have heard of ZERO cases in our area of a child being abducted by a stranger, and only one possible attempt.  And we're in a pretty populous county with a decent-sized metro area.  Being a cop has taught me that most people are decent, not the opposite.  Granted, we seem to focus more on the not-so-decent crowd, and we often get sucked into thinking that the entire population consists of idiots, but still...  

You seem like you were taking reasonable precautions, you thought you had an arrangement with the neighbor, and a mistake happened.  It's not like you were neglecting your child.  She wasn't wandering around in the middle of the night.  She was clothed, you weren't drunk or high, and there were no signs that pointed to you being a bad parent.  Your daughter is safe, and that's the most important thing.  The cops should have been focused on that, not unfairly criticizing your parenting.

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#25 of 35 Old 08-05-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

That being said, maybe a little different system might help avoid this in the future? (And no, I don't mean never let them out of your sight!) What if she were to call when she was leaving the first house to go somewhere else? What if the neighbors were in agreement to call you when the kids leave/arrive at their houses, so everyone knows where everyone's kids are? What about setting up a "time" to check in, like two hours after she leaves the house, or by 3 every day? Just a thought.

I agree with this. My neighbor's son used to wander a bit at that age. Like one time he left my house and I thought he was going home but he heard some boys down the street and ended up down there. The neighbor called me later asking me to send him home and I already thought he was at home. After that, she asked me to call her when her son left my house. Then she knew that if he wasn't home in a few minutes, she needed to go out and see where he ended up. Maybe you can work something like that out with your neighbors? 

#26 of 35 Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 PM

I think it would totally depend on the neighborhood and the child's personality whether they were ok to go down the street a couple of houses or not.

I know in my case, my kids won't be walking anywhere by themselves for a few years and they're 6 and 4! 

My reasons are this...

We live on a busy road and we don't have a sidewalk on our side of the road.  Its not unusual for cars to be going 40-50km/hr down our residential street, even though the limit I believe is 20 or 30km/hr.

We also live in bear/coyote/cougar/raccoon country. Yes, its a suburb but we get weekly sightings of animals in our backyards.  In fact, I have a panel of my backyard fence knocked down by a black bear a couple of weeks ago.  My kids would be terrified if they were alone, face to face with any animal bigger than a cat.

Aside from all that, my 6 yo is relatively impulse controlled but my 4yo wouldn't hesitate to go rushing into traffic if she thought she saw something interesting across the road.  She's given me a number of hear attacks over the years...

OP: I'm so sorry about the passing of your mom.  My thoughts go out to you.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#27 of 35 Old 08-09-2011, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

sorry mama that happened to you. esp. reeling so soon after your mama. 

the police were wrong. its so obvious. but i can also understand their point of view - esp. if you live in a big city. i have a friend that teaches continuation HS and a friend who is a nurse (both dont have children) and oh my they sooo hover around my dd. waaay too much. but they see too much of the bad stuff and it makes them overprotective towards dd. i can tell they struggle with my supervision of my almost 9 year old.

also its almost the end of summer right? do you think your dd has learnt her lesson? by seeing the police and your concern? so this time she will listen and follow guidelines when you ask her too?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#28 of 35 Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 AM

I think if this is your "Worst Ever Day of Parenting" you are an AWESOME mom.  I let my 7 year old walk to school on his own.  He is now 8 and he bikes around the neighbourhood knowing he needs to check in every 30 minutes.  I know it depends on your neighbourhood, but I am sure that YOU know the climate of your own neighbourhood.  The police overreacted. 

I know a lady whose grandaughter spilled hot coffee on her foot.  The mother felt SOOOO guilty.  Grandma (mother's mom), said, "Honey, you are going to do much worse than this as a mother.  Forgive yourself and move on!" 

I think this was a minor incident.  Getting her to call when she arrives or leaves somewhere is a great idea. 

So sorry about your mom.  I'm sure she's so proud of you and her little grandaughters.

Erika

Trying to live life to the fullest.....with DH,  2 fun kids, and a wild dog. 

#29 of 35 Old 08-09-2011, 08:59 PM

Oh, no, mama! It's okay. You are doing a great job. I think the police were just irritated at being called out, especially for nothing (though you'd think they would be so happy to find DD at the neighbors!) I'm sorry you had a bad day. hug2.gif

I don't think you're inattentive, but for my own kids, I do watch every minute that they are outside. When I was seven years old, I was playing in our front yard with a group of my friends. Two men drove up in a blue car and tried to kidnap me. It would only have taken about five seconds. Literally. I was almost gone.

My mother was at the back of the house and just suddenly had a bad feeling. As she was walking to the front of the house, she saw the blue car, ran to the front door and into the yard and literally saved me by seconds. It was horrifying and to this day, I remember it as if it happened yesterday. Because of it, I never let DSD or DD play outside alone, even in our fenced backyard. I am always near a window at the very least.

I think I'm like this just because of my horrifying brush with danger and I don't think every parent necessarily needs to be that watchful, but really, it's worth it. Do you remember the terror you felt when you couldn't find DD? DSD ran off once and we couldn't find her and I don't EVER want to go through that again. So yeah, just to save my sanity (and possibly my kiddoes), I always keep a close eye on them.

Have you read "Protecting the Gift?" It's a great book on how to keep your kids safe and teach them to keep themselves safe as well.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#30 of 35 Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 PM

I love the Free Range Kids sight.  I am all over that in a heart beat.  I know that it's upsetting to get an ear full from the police (I've had my time or two)....you ARE ding the best you can and really, you have to give your child SOME level of independence to instill some form of self confidence.  I wouldn't stress over the crappy attitude of the cops either.  You're a great mom and sometimes things just get a little crossed.

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page