Do you let your older kid (6-9 yr old) win at games? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you let your older kid (6-9 yr old) win at games?
Yes - often (more than 50% of the time) 2 5.88%
yes - sometimes (20-50% of the time) 6 17.65%
rarely 1-19% 9 26.47%
never 14 41.18%
other - please explain 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

#31 of 36 Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I don't let them win, my little one will beg to let me let her win.  She refuses to play games where there is a loser and a winner.  My oldest has been beating me at board games, video games any games... since she was 5.  She beat me at chess right after I taught her how to play. 

I just don't see the good in letting them win, teach them how to play and show them how to have fun. 

Sponsored Links
#32 of 36 Old 08-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)

This made me laugh because we are the same way.  My dd is 9 and she's GOOD at games.  I do try to win.  Every time.  She wins more often than not.  I don't have to let her win because she does it on her own.  She's LUCKY, too!!  Games of chance, like Yahtzee, she seems to win, as well.

Heh. I had a sister like this, growing up. She was a holy terror at Monopoly. Beating her one time still ranks as one of my most impressive accomplishments. :p

This thread is reminding me how much I miss board games! DH hates them. We play poker sometimes, and he likes chess, but we currently don't have a chess set (plus, he'd THRASH me - he's the kind of guy who looks up chess strategies on the computer). I'm good at word-type games like Scrabble, but he hates them. I might have to get some friends round to play Pictionary or Upwords some time...

If you have older kids, I can recommend The Oxford Game of the English Language. You can do it with teams or individual players, and it has two categories - "how do you spell..." and "what's the definition of...", the latter being multi-choice. I think it's fascinating. DH thinks it's the most boring and hideous game ever devised. YMMV. :p

Arizona backwards is still Arizona! It's a palomino!
#33 of 36 Old 08-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

i answered rarely. i still try because dd is extremely competitive and is a sore loser.

but she is almost 9. i struggle most of the time to beat her. and if she gets wind that i am letting her win, she gets MAD!!!! at 6 she couldnt catch me v. easily but yes would be mad if she knew i was letting her win. 

i always, always, always get the worst letters in scrabble. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#34 of 36 Old 08-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't let my 4 year old win at games. *shrug* Once he knows how to play, unless it's a teaching game of chess (and we still don't let him win just might give him hints on best moves every now and then) whoever truly wins, wins. I sure would hate him to not get the practice of l9sing properly ten play others and always feel he should win. He learns a lot losing, both in skill (f it's a skill-based game like checkers or chess) and in attitude.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#35 of 36 Old 08-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

I let my dd win, not by obviously letting her cheat but by not taking advantage of the best moves even when I can.  She isn't drawn to board games and letting her win a lot is how I get her to play them with me.  She has never been a sore loser at home or at school but she seems to lose the little interest she has in games when she is going through a long losing streak and she will turn down playing the for a long time afterwards and I really love board games so I do what I have to do to be able to enjoy them still.  I think she may take losing so gracefully when it does count because I have modeled being a good loser so often. 

#36 of 36 Old 08-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I voted rarely.  To me, there is a big difference between 6 and 9.  I'd let a 6 y.o. win sometimes-- I guess--- but we have MUCH better luck playing cooperative games anyway, so this isn't even an issue.

With my 9 y.o, no, I do not let her win.  In fact, we are playing "Words With Friends" (online scrabble) and she is beating me.  Ugh.  How does this girl come up with 48 point words?  And 53 points?  In the same game?  Consecutive turns?

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page