S/O Parents say the darndest things.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-12-2011, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK the thread on kids say the darndest things got me thinking of the things I say as a parent.

Last night as I was putting dd to bed, my last words to her were "Don't read!"

OK it made some sense -- dd had to get up early, and she has a tendency to stay awake till all hours reading. But I never thought that I'd be telling my kid not to read.

Today as I was killing time before doing lunch supervision at Drama Music Camp at church, and I was knitting. People kept asking me "what are you knitting?" and I replied "Knitting a Gryffindor scarf for a stuffed penguin." That got me some looks!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#2 of 16 Old 08-12-2011, 09:54 PM

Ah yes, the strangest things have come out of my mouth since becoming a parent. Yesterday it was "Don't put the potty on the piano."

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#3 of 16 Old 08-13-2011, 11:21 AM

We were playing in a shallow riverbed a few weeks ago and 22-month-old DS was picking up the pebbles and throwing them in the water to make them "plop." Then he started throwing handfuls of sand and it was getting all over us. DH said "Only throw rocks, please!!" shortly followed by "Hmm. That's a sentence I never thought I'd say." lol.gif
#4 of 16 Old 08-13-2011, 11:24 AM

"Please don't pet my boobies in the store," followed less than 15 minutes later by, "Please don't poke my crotch to get my attention."

What personal space???

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#5 of 16 Old 08-13-2011, 07:56 PM

PinkBunch- too funny!

let's see what I can think of... "boobs are not toys"

"No sweetheart, I'm not stealing your peach, you just can't eat the pit"

#6 of 16 Old 08-13-2011, 08:24 PM

"Please keep your penis off of my computer."

transylvania_mom likes this.
#7 of 16 Old 08-14-2011, 04:40 AM

Hahaha...

"No, you cannot carry your bug family in your vagina." followed by "I don't care if it SEEMS like a pocket, honey, it's not ACTUALLY for carrying things like bugs around" -  she protested so hard on this one..."Well it's MY vagina, YOU said it's MY vagina!!!" - I was actually kind of stumped on that one. I did, in fact, tell her that it is HER vagina and HER own special private space...hmmmm....yeah, don't care, still not a pocket for carrying around her "bug family" (the dead bugs she finds outside and on the windowsill that she collects and puts in her dollhouse, in special beds that she makes for them, etc.).

matte likes this.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#8 of 16 Old 08-14-2011, 04:40 AM

This one also went on the toddler's thread but I thought I would include it here too. It happened to be yelled as DH answered the ringing telephone "WE DON'T PUT BINKIES IN OUR VAGINA"

p.s. so so SO many of these things involve vaginas/penises/butts..... potty humor is funny no matter what age you are!

-M-, mama to G 4/09joy.gif

#9 of 16 Old 08-14-2011, 04:42 AM

Well it is HER vagina but you are in charge of protecting it for her until she is old enough to know not put bugs in it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post

Hahaha...

"No, you cannot carry your bug family in your vagina." followed by "I don't care if it SEEMS like a pocket, honey, it's not ACTUALLY for carrying things like bugs around" -  she protested so hard on this one..."Well it's MY vagina, YOU said it's MY vagina!!!" - I was actually kind of stumped on that one. I did, in fact, tell her that it is HER vagina and HER own special private space...hmmmm....yeah, don't care, still not a pocket for carrying around her "bug family" (the dead bugs she finds outside and on the windowsill that she collects and puts in her dollhouse, in special beds that she makes for them, etc.).

-M-, mama to G 4/09joy.gif

#10 of 16 Old 08-14-2011, 04:45 AM

"STOP LICKING THE TOILET!" has come out once or twice.  As well as 'stop licking the dog' and 'your sister is not a chew toy'.  Yes, my kids have some mouth issues. LOL!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#11 of 16 Old 08-14-2011, 07:35 AM

We don't eat rocks!

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#12 of 16 Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 AM

"That's very sweet that you want to help, but I really don't need to you hold my breast for me." My then 5 yo DD really wanted to be an active participant in the feeding of her new brother.

#13 of 16 Old 08-14-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post

"STOP LICKING THE TOILET!" has come out once or twice.  As well as 'stop licking the dog' and 'your sister is not a chew toy'.  Yes, my kids have some mouth issues. LOL!

Yeah...the "dog ones" are my favorite....

"Please stop sniffing that dogs butt" ("But mama, he sniffed MINE!")

"You don't bite dogs, you guys, STOP IT!" ("He's biting us, too, mama! It's so fun!" - "oh, well in that case, I guess everything's okay...nothing to see here" nut.gif )

Me: Avery, where are you going

Avery: Outside to pee

Me: Ummm, why don't you go on the potty, only animals go pee pee outside

Avery: Dada pees outside all the time :quizzical gaze:

Me: Ummmmmm huh.gif

Avery: He does, mama. Yup. nod.gif

Me: duh.gif

DH: tea6.gifSheepish.gif

Avery: staring, blinking, nodding....slowly moving backward toward the slider doors...

Me: Buuuutttt

DH: surrender.gif

Me, to DH: crap.gif

DH, to me: peace.gif blowkiss.gif

Avery, slowly opens the slider door...."Um, I'll be right back mama"....trots off.

Important note: We live in the middle of the woods with no one around us...so, you know, I guess better that she went into the woods and peed than if we lived on a cul-de-sac in the 'burbs or whatever.

Yeah. Kids. Gotta love it.

sidandspencersmom likes this.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#14 of 16 Old 08-14-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazedstella View Post

Well it is HER vagina but you are in charge of protecting it for her until she is old enough to know not put bugs in it!

I just feel like I can't even knock the girl...she really loves her vagina. I've tried my best to have really positive and easy-going conversations about vaginas...and I guess it's worked or whatever because she thinks her vagina is DA COOLEST. She is finally understanding that it's not a pocket, but for a while there was CONVINCED that if she could only try it, her vagina would be the coolest thing ever for carrying around anything she might want to have with her at all times. So, yeah, nowadays the conversation about vaginas always ends with "proper care and maintenance" tips..."gotta keep it clean and happy" and what not. happytears.gif

#15 of 16 Old 08-15-2011, 03:15 PM

"Honey, I'm sure all the rocks taste the same"

#16 of 16 Old 08-15-2011, 06:59 PM

"I'll have to look up where the ninja training schools are.  Then we'll see about ninja lessons."  (My 7 year old wore me down so much complaining that if I didn't get him lessons he'd never get to have a proper job as a ninja that I gave up on reason).

"If I hold my elbows out like a chicken all the time will you get that I need personal space?"

"Can you get off the internet so I can get on it?" (to my 11 year old)

"That's my chocolate.  Get yourself a bowl of cereal."

"I refuse to discuss physics at midnight.  Try me in the morning - after making me coffee" (to DS, 11, and yes, he talks about physics from his bed at midnight as I am tiredly wandering up to my bed)

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page