Atheist Parents - Questions about the afterlife? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I've always tried to be open about my kids having their own beliefs, but can't help but feel pride when they sneak me WTF looks when someone starts talking about God and Jesus, or the woman at the new age store starts talking about the special powers their rocks have (DS has a rock collection) It's a lot easier just teaching them how to know when to be polite and when to back away slowly.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#32 of 34 Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

This is a difficult subject to broach with kids, whether you are atheist, agnostic, or identify with a religion or philosophy.  I am not atheist, but I have uncertainty about whether my explanations or lack of were helpful to my kids, too decisive considering I really don't know, or not confident enough to be reassuring.  Gee, what else can I think of that I might screw up?  Your answers sounded wonderful, and you'll have plenty more opportunities to speak more specifically about it.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#33 of 34 Old 09-08-2011, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not atheist, but I am very scientifically minded, questioning, skeptical, etc. (Basically I believe in the positive social impact of belonging to community through religion, and in exploring ethics with the support of a group, but my views of the mechanics of the world and how it was created is more in line with atheism.  I'm OK with being a bit of a hypocrite, and I admit it to my kids).

Anyhow, my son has an answer about afterlife that I think is very in line with what atheists believe.  He says that we live on by doing two things: Passing on our genes, and creating things (inventions, art, ideas, friendships) that we leave behind.  It's very literally true from a scientific perspective, and it also says what does happen rather than getting into complicated discussions about what doesn't happen.

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#34 of 34 Old 09-08-2011, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

yeah.  i don't know what i am, it depends upon the mood i'm in when i'm asked.  sorry if i responded as a non-atheiest, but i'm not really a non-non-athiest either... 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page