Mothering Forum banner

Need advice on apartment living with kids/ toddlers

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Kuba'sMama 
#1 ·
For those of you living above other tenants, how do you do it? How much do you limit your kids activities in the apartment? What would you consider acceptable play behaviour from toddlers in an apartment? Have you had problems with neighbors complaining?

We have a two year old, a nine month old and my 6 year old stepson lives with us half the week. We are currently apartment hunting, and having a very hard time finding a first floor apartment with no tenants below. In our last apartment we lived on the third floor and had to move because the neighbor below us constantly complained about my then one year old son. We put down rugs and limited our kids to the point where they pointed out that people running on tv were being too loud, but he still complained of constant noise.

Recently we saw an apartment that would be perfect for us, elevator, across the street from a beach, lake views, spacious and very cheap, but with tenants below. We don't let our kids run around crazy in the house, but we also don't want to keep them from normal play. I know there are other people who are successful at living with kids in apartment. We would love for this apartment to work for us and are wondering if our last neighbor was just grouchy or if that is pretty typical.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
Firstly, sounds like maybe your neighbr was a grouch. Been there, done that! Living in apts, you have to accept a certain level of noise, wether it be from kids or adults. That being said, I spent a year living in an apartment above a computer shop with FIVE BOYS! During shop hours we had to be respectful. So, firstly, I rec putting dwn a thick rug in high trffic areas. Sometimes simply walking sounds LOUD on bare floors or thin carpet. I know, I have been a lower floor tenant as well! We taught our kids WALKING feet. we practiced with our heavy footed kid. Basic rules like, no bouncing balls inside, no toddler bikes indoors, etc... We als made a pint of getting t know the man who owned the shop. We brought home baked cookies and a smile and a sincere "I hope our boys arent too bothersome or noisy for you. Please let us know if they are!" Find out your new downstairs tenants work schedule so you knw what hours you can be a bit more lax with noise. All I knw is, with 5 boys we survived that yr with no complaints. :) Its just basic respect but not getting s stressed you are tiptoeing around. Your kids still have to be KIDS after all!

#3 ·
We have lived in several apartments with our now 3 kids, plus I have been running a small daycare out of the home on and off in the past. We've never had problems until we moved into this apartment a year ago. The lady that lived under us worked a night job and slept during the day. She expected us to be SILENT, ie. no walking. Well, we tried as hard as we could (no running, no jumping, no ball playing, no yelling, etc) but the kids had to walk and play! We talked to our fortunately very lovely landlord and he sided with us (there were other problems with her not pertaining to us). She was evicted last month and our new tenant is great!

I have taught my kids since they were old enough to understand that there are people living under us, we have to be considerate especially in the evening hours when people are relaxing after work, We go outside everyday to play in the park, and if the kids are rowdy they can play in the front lawn or the sidewalk in between outings (it's a small walk-up in a quiet neighbourhood). Once in a while though you get people who are just not happy to see, hear or be near children at all. It worked out in our favour, I hope something can work in yours too. From my experience it really was one incident among many other positive ones.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.