Do I finally cut my 2 yr olds hair? -A boy with blond banana curls UPDATE PIC ON POST 25! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 09-01-2011, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2 yr old ds has super blond hair and thin but very tight banana curls. But they are getting very wild and long and kind of messy. I love his long hair which is past his shoulders when straightened but halfway down his neck when curled. I was going to let it grow, but my sister has been giving me grief but she gives her boys buzz cuts. And my dh has been complaining about it especially since ds wants to wear dresses jewelry, and carry around purses. He says the long hair is just too much. So ds has a 4 yr old sister and that is all he sees. I am cool with his dressing up and the long hair. What would you guys do?
#2 of 51 Old 09-01-2011, 05:38 AM

here is my curly blond almost 3 yr old.  I think we have cut his 4 times?

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/jeanaspictures/531.jpg

Everyone loves Jack's curls I refuse to chop it "short"

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#3 of 51 Old 09-01-2011, 05:49 AM

I would probably get it trimmed so it looks neat and stuff, though not necessarily buzz it or anything (though I did that with DS, for other reasons). Plus my husband's mom let him grow his hair long and wild when he was little so all the pictures of him as a child he looks like a weird little girl with a mullet-type hair, lol. 

#4 of 51 Old 09-01-2011, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

If it's wild and messy, I'd cut it. My 2 y/o dd absolutely hates having her hair combed and I cut it short (ear length). She also has blond curly hair. Maybe she won't be crowned the next beauty queeneyesroll.gif, but she feels very comfortable, and that's the most important thing.

caffix.gif

#5 of 51 Old 09-01-2011, 08:24 AM

My 2.5yo's hair is down to his shoulders in loose curls (sometimes banana curls, other times more straight, depends on the weather!) It was a few inches longer but I trimmed it recently. It was getting really matted in back and he wouldn't let me brush it, so taking a couple inches off made it more neat & manageable but it's still long enough for a ponytail. I have no plans to cut it shorter & certainly not to buzz it (unless he asks, and I doubt he would, he loves his long hair!)

But everyone mistakes him for a girl. I am not sure I've ever seen a stranger refer to him as 'he' -- even though he looks like a boy to us and our friends! It doesn't bother me & DH & it doesn't bother DS, so we're good. In fact, DS has inspired DH to possibly grow his hair out this fall! So obviously I'm a bit biased toward not cutting it. smile.gif However, I would take your DH's feelings into account & decide with him -- a hair cut is not (usually!) something to risk your marriage for or anything!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 51 Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 AM

It's his hair, let him decide how he wants it styled, he has to live with it everday.

transylvania_mom likes this.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#7 of 51 Old 09-01-2011, 11:21 AM

If it is looking wild and messy I would trim it up a bit. You don't have to do a buzz cut.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#8 of 51 Old 09-01-2011, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

oh no. NO BUZZ CUT please. a trim - sure.

i was 4 years old when my parents took my bro to get a short hair cut. oh i still remember the shock. to date. clear as if it happened yesterday. 

my favourite little sweet boy in dd's dc also had beautiful long golden curls. even after 4 years he comes running to me when his hair is longer to show his curls. they never went back to the beautiful curls he had before. more waves just like my bro. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#9 of 51 Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittsy View Post

It's his hair, let him decide how he wants it styled, he has to live with it everday.

This.

My son's hair is just below his shoulders.  We are of the belief that it's his body and he can get a haircut when he asks for one.  I usually use bobby pins to hold it back or put it in a ponytail.  He even brings me a ponytail holder and asks for help occasionally.  It gets messy, but kids get messy and dirty.  I'm sure if I had a DD with long hair it would be the same. 

He loves to carry purses and my jewelry, too.  Yes, people call him a girl and I politely correct them and say that he's currently interested in mommy's things. 

Vegetarian, Montessori-loving, Blogging, Doula in Training, Student Midwife Mama to A 10/17/09

#10 of 51 Old 09-01-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameFancyPants View Post

He loves to carry purses and my jewelry, too.  Yes, people call him a girl and I politely correct them and say that he's currently interested in mommy's things. 

inspite of her long hair and colours and dresses till dd was about 2 seh was always mistaken for a boy. i will say though she mostly wore boy clothes adn never tied her hair or put clips in there. i never corrected them. they were strangers. they really didnt need to know if she was a boy or girl. they just found the child cute. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#11 of 51 Old 09-01-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameFancyPants View Post

This.

My son's hair is just below his shoulders.  We are of the belief that it's his body and he can get a haircut when he asks for one.  I usually use bobby pins to hold it back or put it in a ponytail.  He even brings me a ponytail holder and asks for help occasionally.  It gets messy, but kids get messy and dirty.  I'm sure if I had a DD with long hair it would be the same. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

inspite of her long hair and colours and dresses till dd was about 2 seh was always mistaken for a boy. i will say though she mostly wore boy clothes adn never tied her hair or put clips in there. i never corrected them. they were strangers. they really didnt need to know if she was a boy or girl. they just found the child cute. 

My friend has been telling me that I should stop correcting them.  A will correct them if he wants when he's older.  I'm just one of those people that always gives a reason for what I say.  It's a bad habit that I need to break. 

Vegetarian, Montessori-loving, Blogging, Doula in Training, Student Midwife Mama to A 10/17/09

#12 of 51 Old 09-01-2011, 03:07 PM

DS#3 has hair below his shoulders..... and he is almost 3.  He is my wild one, and I can't imagine him without it!  Sure, other people think he is a girl, and DH makes a few comments here and there, but, soon enough well cut it.  For now, I love it and it suits him.  My other boys ended up having their short haircuts more regularly starting at around 3.  

As long as there isn't a maintenance issue, doesn't pose a safety or hazard risk, and you don't have to yank and pull a comb through it causing him misery, I say enjoy the long curly hair. 

What other people say just reflects their issues.  His hair is about him.  Not them.  They can cut their own hair if they like.

#13 of 51 Old 09-02-2011, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Yeah my ds is the cutest even with a dress on, lol. I will see if I can post a pic to see if you all think the hair is too messy.
#14 of 51 Old 09-02-2011, 06:08 AM

Like a pp, I would be influenced by my spouse's opinion, too. If your DH feels strongly about it, I'd go for a compromise trim.
#15 of 51 Old 09-02-2011, 06:15 AM

Trim it a little if it's messy, but if he likes it long, then don't cut it short by any means.

The dressing up like a girl...My transsexual (born male) DSD apparently did that when she was younger-apparently many eventually-transsexual kids do that?

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpg mother to micro-preemie DD1 and 2E PG DD2. Stepmother to trans DSD. Owned by acat.gif! Pregnant and due 6th June '12. cd.gifnocirc.gifbfinfant.gif

#16 of 51 Old 09-02-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylie1 View Post

The dressing up like a girl...My transsexual (born male) DSD apparently did that when she was younger-apparently many eventually-transsexual kids do that?

Um, and many non-trans do that too.... I don't think it's indicative of anything except 2yo's liking shiny colorful pretty things or just wanting to be like mama/gma/big sis.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#17 of 51 Old 09-02-2011, 06:33 AM

I know a lot of children do it, but I think I heard it was statistically more common, or something. *shrugs* I was just saying.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpg mother to micro-preemie DD1 and 2E PG DD2. Stepmother to trans DSD. Owned by acat.gif! Pregnant and due 6th June '12. cd.gifnocirc.gifbfinfant.gif

#18 of 51 Old 09-02-2011, 12:54 PM

Is grooming becoming a hassle or is it in his eyes?  Does he want a haircut? If no, then leave it if you want.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#19 of 51 Old 09-02-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post
 the hair is too messy.

messy is in the eye of the beholder.

i am more concerned with scalp issues. my dd has a v. sensitive scalp. as a baby she tolerated NOTHING in her hair and i had to be VERY CAREFUL with combing/brushing her hair.

she started combing her hair when she was 3 years old as she did it better. that's when i rarely combed/brushed her hair. at that time i gave her a choice. either cut ur hair or comb it urself. 

my thing is IF brushing hair to a 'decent' level means a shreiking screaming child then the hair has to go. by 7 dd was braiding her own hair. by 8 i never had to help her with her long hair again. 

#20 of 51 Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 PM

DS's first haircut was at 4yrs old. He had long, whispy curly hair down to (almost!) his bum. Now we keep it just above his shoulders in a long, shaggy cut.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#21 of 51 Old 09-02-2011, 04:19 PM

For really low maintenence and to give your sis really somethin to talk about~ how about dreadlocks :) I loved mine, and then had another appreciation for long smooth tangle free hair after I cut them.

#22 of 51 Old 09-02-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

My 2 yr old ds has super blond hair and thin but very tight banana curls. But they are getting very wild and long and kind of messy. I love his long hair which is past his shoulders when straightened but halfway down his neck when curled. I was going to let it grow, but my sister has been giving me grief but she gives her boys buzz cuts. And my dh has been complaining about it especially since ds wants to wear dresses jewelry, and carry around purses. He says the long hair is just too much. So ds has a 4 yr old sister and that is all he sees. I am cool with his dressing up and the long hair. What would you guys do?

I'd let him wear dresses, purses, and whatever he wanted.  If he was older, I'd say to ask him what he wants to do with his hair.  But since he's 2, I would probably just leave it if it's not causing problems and you both like it. 

This is coming from the mama of a shaggy-haired boy who wears skirts, purses, and fingernail polish. :)

Mittsy likes this.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#23 of 51 Old 09-04-2011, 09:38 PM

Is it in his eyes? Is it hard to wash? Does it get in his way when he's trying to play? All of these are reasons to cut it.

When my daughter was younger, I kept her in a (really cute) bob just above chin length because anything else was too hard to care for and too much in her way. Now she's 7 and she very definitely wants long hair. She's been growing it out for 2 years. I trim the ends now and then when it gets too hard to care for, but I won't cut it shorter until she wants it to be.

I think  your son is too young to know whether he really wants it long, but if it doesn't bother him and it isn't too hard to care for, I don't see a reason to cut.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#24 of 51 Old 09-06-2011, 04:39 AM

We need a pic :)

Nice, well kept longer hair on boys CAN look nice.  Uncut, scraggy hair doesn't look good on anyone.  

IMO very few boys can pull of long hair.  So... we need a pic!

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#25 of 51 Old 09-06-2011, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a pic of the hair as of last night. It looks a bit more tidy than usual but then here is the kids making funny faces and you can see the more wispy pieces.

Crazy how curly their hair is as my hair is brown and straight as could be.
#26 of 51 Old 09-06-2011, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

LOL, just noticed he has on a dress in the one pic!

So what ye say ladies- cut it or leave it?
#27 of 51 Old 09-06-2011, 05:35 AM

They only way I would cut that hair is if he wanted it cut.  It does not seem to be interfering in his life (ex - in his eyes) at all.

Cute kids!

#28 of 51 Old 09-06-2011, 05:41 AM

I am confused by the pics.  The child in the first pic has short hair?  Maybe that's an old pic?

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#29 of 51 Old 09-06-2011, 05:54 AM

no way. that's not even 'long' hair in my books. that is glorious hair and i would not touch it. even if he asked for it i'd make sure he really wanted it cut. 

silly kids. 

#30 of 51 Old 09-06-2011, 06:04 AM

don't cut it... it's adorable!

cute kids, btw.

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page