I'm drowning in baby/kids clothes! Please help me figure this out. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-03-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I also posted in decluttering.

I have an only child who is 4 y/o. We are currently ttc. I have saved ALL of her stuff since she was born. Several family members and friends had kids right before me so I have been blessed to get hand me downs ... lots of them. I've never really needed to buy anything but socks and underwear.

This is really the only thing left I have to organize and declutter. DH and I have gotten rid of everything from books to cookware to collectibles. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time getting rid of clothes I didn't even buy myself. I've been holding on to them in hopes of having another baby but it's still SO much more than we would ever need for another baby. 

Anyway, I NEED to deal with this. How many outfits should I save? I never go more than a week without doing laundry so I'm thinking maybe seven of each type of item in each size. So I would keep seven tops, seven bottoms, seven pj's, etc.  Does that make sense? Does that sound about right? What does everyone else do?

mama to three little ladies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-03-2011, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I sooooo had this issue! Except I have 5kid so it was awful! Tons of hand me downs which SEEMED a blessing. But myproblem was I kept stuff that would not fit them for YEARS with the logic that "hey, we will use it eventually!" I had clothes for all 5 kids for all 4 seasons in sizes newborn to 16 boys. PLUS winter clthes for hubby and I. I just spent a whole week going through almost 30 trash bags!!!! UUUGGGHHH! Here is what I recomnd, if something is a special memory, like the first outfit she wore or  baptismal gown, keep it.Pack the awayi aspecal bin for her when she gets older and has her own kids. Maybe keep a little more than 7 outfits. Keep in mind she may ruin stuff with rips or stains, etc....Then pack away a bin of winter stuff. that bin keeps summer clothes when she needs winter stuff.I did 1-12 outfits perchild. Jeans and plain shirts can be mix and matched for an array of outfit possiilities. Donate the rest to a mama in need.

#3 of 7 Old 09-03-2011, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I just got rid of so many clothes after my last baby was another boy, ahhh relief! My youngest girl is close to 5 and wears a size 6  and then my oldest girl is 8. so years of girl clothes stored up. My 2 younger kids are boys and 2 years apart so not quite the same volume of boy clothes stored like what I had with the girls.

My system was rubbermaid containers, the larger size, one for each size once we hit 2T and they stopped growing quite so fast. Below that I lumped sizes together, like 0-6m. I kept mostly only stain free clothes except for a handful of play clothes. We do live in a cold climate so snowsuits took up a bit of room. But basically everything from that size that to fit into that box. If I didn't really like it, it probably didn't make the cut. Shoes that my kids outgrew around that clothing size went into that box as well. I labeled them and stored in the garage on shelves. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 7 Old 09-03-2011, 02:36 PM

For awhile I had baby sizes each in their own plastic container (so 0-3m, 3-6, etc) and recently I've been thinning that out so I have 0-6m, then 6-12 (including sized cloth diapers) in their own, so about half the clothes.  I also recently sorted through my older dd's massive amounts of 2t,3t clothes (for some reason we had LOADS of clothes in those sizes, probably 4 boxes worth, it was crazy confused.gif, but I got it down to 2 boxes for both sizes, including shoes & coats).  

Anyway, what really helped me was I sorted everything out to type of clothes (pants, shirts, dresses), I could see I had twice as many dresses as anything else, for example, so I just went at it to even everything out.  I probably ended up with somewhere around 10 of everything in the end.  I didn't keep things I knew I could easily replace (so, the plain colored pants from target - no.)  The less likely to ever find something again stuff that I also liked a lot I kept.  The things that I liked that never quite fit well I got rid of.  I got picky about stains or wear on things, I also tried to keep clothes that went together well (so the odd colored shirt that was nice, but just didn't match anything well - gone).  

#5 of 7 Old 09-04-2011, 05:59 PM

I feel differently about this, but I hate to spend money.

So, I save everything in good repair (and that I like).  The stuff that I like that is not in good repair, I toss in my sewing stuff to get to whenever I can. 

I use the plastic bins, too.  I put everything in the bins, and don't bother sorting it.  When the next season rolls around, I just go through all the bins and pull out anything I think anybody might be able to wear.  Then we have a huge trying on party (the kids LOVE it), and the stuff that isn't that great we get rid of, the stuff that fits obviously gets put away, and the stuff that didn't goes back in the bins.  I match up outfits to be sure the kids all have enough, and that's that. 

I have 4 children, and we plan on more, so it seems to make sense to keep things.  But, what didn't make sense was that I was sorting and organizing ALL the time.  So, now I just do it this way, and ignore all those clothes the rest of the time.

(I probably have 40 containers of clothes, including dh and my off-season stuff, and my maternity clothes, and shoes, and coats.  But, like I said, I do have 4 kids, and we plan on more.  All the stuff dd2 was wearing last year, dd3 is wearing this year!  And, it surprised me that the things that didn't fit dd1 last year and seemed to small, fit her beautifully this year because she has gotten long and lanky.  So, it was worth it to keep that stuff!)

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#6 of 7 Old 09-05-2011, 11:01 PM

I had a lot of clothes from DD, including lots of great hand-me-downs, so I had to do some sorting.

What I did was keep the things I really liked and were comfy, then saw if I had enough with that, or if I felt I still wanted more, kept a few other things from the pile that filled in the wardrobe gaps.  People like to give dresses and pink to little girls.  I still have too much girl stuff (with DS it wasn't nearly like that), but I was able to donate a lot that way.  I have a unisex 0-12mo bin, a girl 0-9 or 12 mo bin, and a boy 0-24mo bin (and then bigger girl and boy bins).  So we do still have more than we need, but not crazy excessive amounts of clothes.

Tjej

#7 of 7 Old 09-05-2011, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

i am just about ready to do this too.  I have so many bins in the garage and both girls dressers and closets are full to the brim.  

I was thinking of keeping 10 outfits in each season for each girl (and maybe a few that I love that don't get worn all that much).  I  need to do it  soon, all the clothes are stressing me out.

Good luck to you.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page