"Keep your legs closed" - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 08:10 AM
 
Imakcerka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Everything can be demeaning.
Imakcerka is offline  
#122 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 08:56 AM
 
hildare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in-the-sticks-off-a-dirt-road, GA
Posts: 2,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post




You know, the pairing could just as easily be rendered as "vagina" and "vagina-filler".

 


and there are also many other places to put the latter... just sayin'.

 


Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

hildare is offline  
#123 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 09:11 AM
 
Drummer's Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 11,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe this thread should be moved from Parenting to Sex Talk. redface.gif

I am LOL'ing at "vagina-filler". So, thanks!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Drummer's Wife is offline  
#124 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 AM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 27,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post



 

I'm 37 and I've never heard any of my friends of any age talking about their vagina, vulva, labia or clitoris. It has never once come up in conversation. I wonder why since it seems to be as common as discussing the weather for other people.

 

I grew up without names for these body parts. I do consider vagina a step up from absolutely nothing. If I didn't have a book with the parts neatly labeled I would have only been able to tell dd vagina.
 

 


 

ROTFLMAO.gif
 

I don't know too many people who really sit around talking about them. But, terms do come up in conversation (eg. the Cub Leader who was takling about Brazilians, and not being willing to get one, referred to the entire area as her "whatsit"). And, it's usually very clear that "vagina" is being used to mean the entire area.

 

 

ETA: I just read beanma's post about birth stories. Yes, every woman I've ever heard talk about a birth or whatever uses "vagina" to mean her actual vagina, if that's the context she's using the word in...but they also use it to apply to the entire area. (I think it's similar to when I say I have a "stomach-ache", even though I know full well that the pain almost certainly includes my intestines.) They know what the word means, but I think at least some of them believe it also applies to the vulva.

 


Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#125 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 10:33 AM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 27,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Venia View Post

I guess what bugs me about simply using the word vagina to describe the sum of a woman's genitalia is that its basically saying (in anatomical terms)....."boys have a penis, girls have a penis receptacle".



I've never thought of my vagina as a penis receptacle. Actually (probably because I did grow up thinking "vagina" was also used to describe the whole area), I tend to label my vagina itself as my "birth canal" (even though it's never been used for that purpose *sigh*). If a man chooses to think that "vagina" = "penis receptacle", that's his hangup, not mine. I don't have to accept that way of looking at it, and I don't.  However, with the exception of two really obnoxiously, blatantly, misogynistic guys I knew in my teens, the only people I've ever heard refer to the term "vagina" as being semantically equal to "penis receptacle" are all women, and usually staunch feminists. I, personally, don't define my own anatomy in terms of somebody's else's anatomy.

grniys likes this.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#126 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 10:35 AM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 27,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post



Baby expulsion canal would be demeaning for those women who have chosen to remain childless

I did tell my son "boys have penis and girls have a vulva"... so did all my friends in our playgroup when the kids were small.
 


That's not equivalent, either. I don't think a term for male genitalia that's equivalent to "vulva" even exists. If you say "penis" and "vulva", then you're ignoring the scrotum.

 


Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#127 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 AM
 
childsplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In the woods.
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by April*autmaiajude* View Post



I personally don't think of my vagina is a "penis receptacle". Under this logic,, couldn't it as easily be interpreted to, "boys have a penis, girls have a "baby expulsion canal"?  AND may I also point out that we don't say, "boys have a prepuce, girls have a vulva"?  Who cares?  

 

I broke my knee when I was a kid.  Oops, I mean my patellla. ;)



 


ROTFLMAO.gif

 

I'm picturing a potato shooter for some reason???

childsplay is offline  
#128 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 11:13 AM
 
childsplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In the woods.
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 

IRL, I've only heard the word vulva in conversation once (and that was by a drunk woman who may or may not have been trying to say Volvo).

 

I have however heard vagina, vag, downstairs, lady locker, and the batcave all at least once this month.

 

And I hear weiner and nuts many times during the day.

 

 

 

 

 

 

childsplay is offline  
#129 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 11:22 AM
 
Alphaghetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: A Big City in Canada
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)



:) Totally missed my point. That's ok though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post



Baby expulsion canal would be demeaning for those women who have chosen to remain childless

I did tell my son "boys have penis and girls have a vulva"... so did all my friends in our playgroup when the kids were small.
 


 


Certified Crazy™ Wife to my Spiderman husband luxlove.gif(Aug '01)

 

Super proud Momma  to DD (Jan'00), DD (Apr '02) and DS (Jun '04)

Always loving and missing our Baby James angel.gif born sleeping at 19 weeks (July '03).

 

signcirc1.gif

Alphaghetti is offline  
#130 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 11:24 AM
 
Alphaghetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: A Big City in Canada
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)



The poor scrotum always gets left out! ROTFLMAO.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post




That's not equivalent, either. I don't think a term for male genitalia that's equivalent to "vulva" even exists. If you say "penis" and "vulva", then you're ignoring the scrotum.

 



 


Certified Crazy™ Wife to my Spiderman husband luxlove.gif(Aug '01)

 

Super proud Momma  to DD (Jan'00), DD (Apr '02) and DS (Jun '04)

Always loving and missing our Baby James angel.gif born sleeping at 19 weeks (July '03).

 

signcirc1.gif

Alphaghetti is offline  
#131 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM
 
childsplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In the woods.
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by April*autmaiajude* View Post



The poor scrotum always gets left out! ROTFLMAO.gif



 


 mecry.gif

             and

 

  ROTFLMAO.gif

childsplay is offline  
#132 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 01:19 PM
 
TiredX2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: it appears to be a handbasket
Posts: 20,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post


I can't believe there are people fighting this point about girls being made to wear very revealing suits when boys are not.  It might be *possible* to find suits that aren't revealing for girls (I don't know, I haven't tried), but when I go to the beach or public swimming pool here, almost all of the little girls are in bikinis and then maybe a couple in tankini or one pieces, with the traditional underwear type legs (or lack of legs).  These are so much more form fitting and revealing than what little boys swim in.  It is amazing to me that we even make bikinis for tiny little girls.  Ugh.  I feel yucky just to see it.  If little boys can go in no shirt, than why not little girls, and if little boys have to wear a protective rash guard shirt, then why shouldn't the girls.  It makes no sense to me.  Why would a little girl need two little triangles to cover her someday breasts???  If I had a little girl, I'm pretty sure I'd be buying her board shorts and rash guard sets like I do for my boys.  


Well, I actually have the opposite issues with swim suits.  DD has always had choices from teeny tiny bikinis, to tankinis, to one pieces suits, to rash guards and shorts.  DS meanwhile, we have to *search* for a swimsuit that doesn't pull him down under the water with the weight of it!  We've finally found boy's racing shorts, but it's a lot harder to get DS a swim suit that is actually meant for *swimming* than DD!
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

 

Kind of off-topic, euphemisms got away from me in a big way when I had my daughter. In post-partum the nurses would periodically want to check my "bottom", and I was kind of mystified because I figured that wasn't the part that had taken a beating during the birth process, but I kind of went with it. I didn't figure out until my six-week post-partum checkup what she meant, when the student midwife used the same word and was clearly referring to the vagina. I'm not entirely sure whether this qualifies as trying to make patients comfortable, or trying SO hard to make people comfortable that you end up obscuring what you're talking about, or if this is just a euphemism that everybody knows except me... to me, "bottom" was the buttocks and associated structures. I can think of a lot of terms that could be used for the vagina and that one would never have registered. (I'm in the US, btw. I understand the slang is different in other countries.)



Yeah, WTH is up with that.  It's been 13 years, so hopefullly this has changed for the better, but I saw midwives with DD and they used bottom.  When I finally figured out what they were saying, I wanted (and should have) said, "You've actually seen up there, couldn't you use the right words!?!?!"
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrose View Post

 

I thought pee came out of my clitoris until I was at least 8 years old, so helping kids understand what exactly is where is something I'm happy to do. I'm fine with my girls knowing what their parts are called, but for most usages, crotch or yoni is sufficient, and if we need to get more specific, we'll pull out the diagrams and get more specific. 



I've always liked the term Yoni as well.  Until DS got a friend NAMED Yoni.  It took me a couple days to be able to shout "Go Yoni" or "Good job Yoni, nice goal" at their soccer games.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

I take exception with the 99% of Americans use the word vagina to mean the whole package thing. I'm 47 yrs old and have, to the best of my knowledge, never heard any woman (or man) I have known throughout my whole life use the word vagina to refer to anything but their vagina. I really don't think that 99% or maybe not even the majority of Americans use the word "vagina" to refer to women's visible genitalia. Maybe someone should start a poll. Maybe it's regional or generational. It really sounds to me like saying anus or rectum when you mean butt.

 


Definately start a poll!  I have often heard people refer to all their girly bits as "vagina."
 

 

 


 

 

TiredX2 is offline  
#133 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 01:28 PM
 
*bejeweled*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So you and all your friends sat around talking about penises and vulvas in your playgroup?



quote name="philomom" url="/community/t/1329989/keep-your-legs-closed/100#post_16666922"]

Baby expulsion canal would be demeaning for those women who have chosen to remain childless

I did tell my son "boys have penis and girls have a vulva"... so did all my friends in our playgroup when the kids were small.

[/quote]


Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
*bejeweled* is offline  
#134 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 02:49 PM
2xy
 
2xy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by April*autmaiajude* View Post


I broke my knee when I was a kid.  Oops, I mean my patellla. ;)


 

 

Weeellllll.....referring to your knee as patella is similar to referring to your entire genital region as vagina. The patella is just one distinct part of the knee. The vagina is one distinct part of the female genitalia. Just sayin'.
 

I've already been through this argument more than once, which is how I got my DDDDC, so I won't belabor the point....but I do think that words matter.

 

 

~PurityLake~ likes this.
2xy is offline  
#135 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 03:40 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 27,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post



 

Weeellllll.....referring to your knee as patella is similar to referring to your entire genital region as vagina. The patella is just one distinct part of the knee. The vagina is one distinct part of the female genitalia. Just sayin'.
 

I've already been through this argument more than once, which is how I got my DDDDC, so I won't belabor the point....but I do think that words matter.

 

 


I guess my thing is that I think it is important to learn - and use - the correct words. Whta I don't like is the level of condescension towards women who don't do so. It seems as though a lot of people see using the term "vagina", instead of "vulva", as being roughly equal to not even attempting to use correct terminology and sticking with either avoiding talking about it at all, or only using ridiculous terms that accomplish the same thing (total avoidance).

 

I look back on people like my mom, who made a conscious decision to avoid passing on the stigma about female genitalia that she'd been raised with, and taught us the "correct" terms, and think about the level of scorn that would be heaped upon her here, and it makes me cringe. I think it shows clear thinking and strength to avoid passing on the kind of shame she was raised with, but because she was unaware of the word "vulva", she'd be treated as if she were the kind of person who says "purse" if she were on MDC. There are still people who think that women who ever mention that body part, in any way, are being crude and vulgar and simply unacceptable...and we're worrying about whether a woman uses a term that many people don't even know, or the one that (I suspect) a majority would think was correct??

 

Honestly, this whole thing seems like gettning bent over people saying "belly button", instead of "navel". I know they're not the same thing (as we have no body part called a "belly button", while we do have a vagina, so the "belly button" isn't part of the navel, the way the vagina is one part of the area being described with the word), but there are similarities. And, one of those similarities is that most people know what a woman means when she says "vagina", whereas a whole lot of people have never even heard of a vulva.  I think someone mentioned upthread that even the "know your own body" type diagrams didn't use that word until fairly recently. So, how were women to know it, no matter how correct they were trying to be? Once a woman knows she has labia majora, labia minora, a clitoris, a vagina, a urethra, and maybe knows the clitoral hood has a separate name, why would she know that a name for the whole thing even existed? (Heck - I'm pretty sure I learned the word "labia" by sneaking my dad's copies of "Letters", and I know that's where I learned "clitoris". I'm 99.9% sure they weren't in our "here are your sex organs" pictures at school.)


Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#136 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 05:47 PM
 
journeymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Having a Gilly Water with McGonagall
Posts: 9,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 



Heck, I don't shave my pubic hair (a little trim once in a while but not down to the skin) and I've never had a problem with bathing suits. 



I'm thinking your pubes don't spread partway down your thighs like mine do?  winky.gif

 

 

 

 


Someone moved my effing cheese.
journeymom is offline  
#137 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 07:15 PM
2xy
 
2xy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

I look back on people like my mom, who made a conscious decision to avoid passing on the stigma about female genitalia that she'd been raised with, and taught us the "correct" terms, and think about the level of scorn that would be heaped upon her here, and it makes me cringe. I think it shows clear thinking and strength to avoid passing on the kind of shame she was raised with, but because she was unaware of the word "vulva", she'd be treated as if she were the kind of person who says "purse" if she were on MDC.

 

Honestly, this whole thing seems like gettning bent over people saying "belly button", instead of "navel".


I understand where you're coming from, but I guess my feeling is that using incorrect terms just perpetuates misinformation and ignorance on the subject. Sure, your mom should be commended for trying her best. She wasn't educated on the subject. Shouldn't those of us who ARE educated on the subject be commended for trying to educate others? No, I don't think it should be done in a condescending or scornful way. I've seen corrections made calmly and pleasantly before and the Vagina Defenders still get all ticked off.

 

Even saying "labia" to refer to the outer portion would be better than "vagina." Most people know the word labia.

 

A belly-button and a navel are the same thing, so I don't really get the comparison. That would be like saying booby instead of breast. Same thing, but one's a slang word. I feel like people are turning "vagina" into a slang word. So....if what we can see from the outside is called a vagina, what do we call the inside part? It's like calling your buttocks "rectum."

 

~PurityLake~ and One_Girl like this.
2xy is offline  
#138 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 07:18 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
 It's been 13 years, so hopefullly this has changed for the better


I had my daughter 3 months ago... change is slow in coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

 I tend to label my vagina itself as my "birth canal"


That was another thing that always got me. In childbirth class when we discussed the "birth canal" I always wanted to be like "Don't you mean the VAGINA?" Descriptions of birth always seem to use "birth canal" like it's some separate place.

 

So I guess when I add all this up, I have learned from this thread that I would rather my vulva be referred to as a vagina than that my vagina be referred to as my "bottom" or "birth canal". Euphemisms used in a clinical/teaching context by people who SHOULD know better bug me more than attempts at using proper terminology. (If an individual prefers to think of her own parts that way, that's different.)

erigeron is offline  
#139 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 PM
 
Venia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post



well... that would mean that someone is drawing a conclusion about a vagina = a penis receptacle in the first place, wouldn't it?  it could be a tampon receptacle, a finger or fist or whatever receptacle, too, or just a lovely tube of tissue that remains empty, ya know.  vaginas, as you know, aren't just for penises to go into....
 

 

That is the scientist in me speaking, no apologies here.  Straight 100% biologically/anatomically speaking, a vagina serves the purpose of sexual reproduction.  No conclusions need to be drawn.  Yes, it can be many other things, but the fundamental biological purpose is pretty straight foreword. You could say the same thing about an anus, but no one will argue that its primary role is to release stool. Some folks are not able to use theirs, but that does not change its intended purpose either. 

 

As far as a secondary role as a birth canal, one must be impregnated first.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post




You know, the pairing could just as easily be rendered as "vagina" and "vagina-filler".

 


 

That is exactly my point though.  Why are we using a single term for either?  So when its said that boys have a penis and girls have a vagina, there is an exact one-to-one sexual structural comparison.  It makes absolutely no sense unless we are talking about the exact sexual anatomical structural opposite.  Can you not see that its a 100% biological sexual comparison of paired structures?

 

As others have pointed out, its not an accurate anatomical comparison to external genitalia, nor a label that says that a women's genitalia are anything other than the 100% anatomical structural opposite to a man's penis.  It does not take a staunch feminist to argue that a woman's genitalia should not be defined by a man's (as many of you have pointed out), So why choose to do it by calling the your entire complex genitalia a "vagina"?    

 

 


 

 

journeymom and ~PurityLake~ like this.
Venia is offline  
#140 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 08:05 PM
 
Imakcerka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm going with Vulva, mostly because it seems most people don't use that term and I really want my girls to freak people out. Especially my mother who will pray for them afterwards.
Imakcerka is offline  
#141 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 PM
 
tropicana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so i had this discussion with my daughter today. (she is 5. she was wearing a dress, and had gotten her shorts and underpants wet playing with water on the front porch. so had taken them off.)

me: you will have to put on some new undies and shorts before we leave the house.

her: i know.

me: obviously you can't show other people your vagina.

her: i know.

me: actually, did you know the vagina part is actually a part that's on the inside? the part you see on the outside is called the vulva, or the labia.

her: mom, can we just call it the vagina?

me: sure.

her: is the penis really a penis?

me: well, it also has all sorts of different parts, the actual penis is what's inside, the outside has a foreskin, the big part to the back is the scrotum.

her: can we just call it a penis.

me: sure. 

 

good enough for me.

tropicana is offline  
#142 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 08:27 PM
 
Imakcerka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicana View Post

so i had this discussion with my daughter today. (she is 5. she was wearing a dress, and had gotten her shorts and underpants wet playing with water on the front porch. so had taken them off.)

me: you will have to put on some new undies and shorts before we leave the house.

her: i know.

me: obviously you can't show other people your vagina.

her: i know.

me: actually, did you know the vagina part is actually a part that's on the inside? the part you see on the outside is called the vulva, or the labia.

her: mom, can we just call it the vagina?

me: sure.

her: is the penis really a penis?

me: well, it also has all sorts of different parts, the actual penis is what's inside, the outside has a foreskin, the big part to the back is the scrotum.

her: can we just call it a penis.

me: sure. 

 

good enough for me.


HA! They don't want to be bothered by it all. Just give it a name and leave it be. I can't get my girls to use correct terms. They like to come up with all sorts of things for it. It's like giggle fest 2011 when they have a good one to share. And they love to embarrass poor DH. Like telling him about their parts. DD1 told DH her bootyhox was itchy... You should have seen his face. He told her to go take a shower that might help. She came out and told him she scrubbed it reeeeeeeal good and it felt so much better. I love that he gets red in the face when they say stuff like that, so do they!
Imakcerka is offline  
#143 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 PM
 
rubidoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicana View Post

so i had this discussion with my daughter today. (she is 5. she was wearing a dress, and had gotten her shorts and underpants wet playing with water on the front porch. so had taken them off.)

me: you will have to put on some new undies and shorts before we leave the house.

her: i know.

me: obviously you can't show other people your vagina.

her: i know.

me: actually, did you know the vagina part is actually a part that's on the inside? the part you see on the outside is called the vulva, or the labia.

her: mom, can we just call it the vagina?

me: sure.

her: is the penis really a penis?

me: well, it also has all sorts of different parts, the actual penis is what's inside, the outside has a foreskin, the big part to the back is the scrotum.

her: can we just call it a penis.

me: sure. 

 

good enough for me.


Too funny!  But are you going to really let her get away with that?  It's not 100% correct.  orngtongue.gif

 


Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

rubidoux is offline  
#144 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 27,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post


I understand where you're coming from, but I guess my feeling is that using incorrect terms just perpetuates misinformation and ignorance on the subject. Sure, your mom should be commended for trying her best. She wasn't educated on the subject. Shouldn't those of us who ARE educated on the subject be commended for trying to educate others? No, I don't think it should be done in a condescending or scornful way. I've seen corrections made calmly and pleasantly before and the Vagina Defenders still get all ticked off.

 

I've seen very few corrections on these boards that were made in a way that wasn't condescending. Many of them are out and out insulting, and strongly imply that the person being corrected has no business even having an opinion about that part of their anatomy if they don't use the correct terms. I, fortunately, picked up on the "vulva" terminology a long time ago. The way I've mostly seen it presented over the last few years would have probably made me dig in my heels, too.

 

And, no - I don't actually think it's really perpetuating the problem. IMO, the real problem isn't a lack of knowledge about the correct terms. The real problem is the underlying idea that those areas shouldn't be talked about at all. If a woman is comfortable talking about her vagina, and using that word, I think it's huge, huge, huge progress.

 

Even saying "labia" to refer to the outer portion would be better than "vagina." Most people know the word labia.

 

A belly-button and a navel are the same thing, so I don't really get the comparison. "Belly button" is a slang term, but it's one that pretty much everyone knows...just like "vagina" for vulva. That would be like saying booby instead of breast. Same thing, but one's a slang word. I feel like people are turning "vagina" into a slang word. So....if what we can see from the outside is called a vagina, what do we call the inside part? It's like calling your buttocks "rectum."

 

Yes. Technically, it's like calling your buttocks your "rectum". But, in general usage, "vagina" is used for both the vagina and the vulva. I don't even understand why you're asking what we call the inside part if we call the visible part the vagina. We call it the vagina. People have been doing this (using "vagina" for both) for decades, and it really hasn't caused a lot of problems for those of us who did it. In every single case I can ever remember, it's very, very clear from context which part the speaker is referring to. I certainly never had anyone express confusion. I know many women my age who do the same thing, and none of them has ever encountered confusion.

 

As I type, dd2 is saying "you poked me in the tummy" to her big brother. "Tummy" is short for "stomach", as I understand it, and I highly doubt that ds1 was poking anyone in the stomach...but it doesn't cause any confusion when she says that. And, I've never had any trouble figuring out what my kids are talking about when they say "I have a stomach-ache/tummy ache" (internal) vs. "so-and-so hit me in the stomach" (external). This is really, really, really not a big deal, in terms of creating any kind of confusion, because it doesn't.

 

Seriously, in 43 years of life in a English speaking area, the only people who have ever been confused about this are posters (usually condescending and snarky) on MDC. Literally every. other. person. I've ever met who has heard someone (in real life or on tv or whatever) use the term "vagina" has been very clear as to whether the area being discussed is the actual vagina, or the vulva.


Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#145 of 186 Old 09-21-2011, 09:40 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 27,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

That was another thing that always got me. In childbirth class when we discussed the "birth canal" I always wanted to be like "Don't you mean the VAGINA?" Descriptions of birth always seem to use "birth canal" like it's some separate place.

 

So I guess when I add all this up, I have learned from this thread that I would rather my vulva be referred to as a vagina than that my vagina be referred to as my "bottom" or "birth canal". Euphemisms used in a clinical/teaching context by people who SHOULD know better bug me more than attempts at using proper terminology. (If an individual prefers to think of her own parts that way, that's different.)



I'm honestly not even following you. I've never heard "birth canal" used as if it's "some separate place". It's a descriptive term for the body part the baby comes through (approx. 66% of the time). And, while I hate, hate, hate "bottom", and certainly respect your views, I can't see how "birth canal" is even remotely euphemistic. Really, in a clinical setting relating to birth, I think "birth canal" is much more appropriate than "vagina" (at least since I found out here that "vagina" comes from the Latin for "sheath" - where babies are concerned "birth canal" is a lot more accurate than "sheath", yk?). 

 

In any case, it doesn't bother me at all to hear "birth canal", in lieu of "vagina". It's not a euphemism. It's just a less clinical term.


Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#146 of 186 Old 09-22-2011, 07:02 AM
 
Adaline'sMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We say "vulva" over here, but more because I dont like the orignial meaning of the word "vagina" than because it is correct. I really dislike telling my daughter that she has anything that was named the same thing as a "sheath for a sword". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagina

For me it just goes right along with all the other insulting medical terms that make me feel awful to be female. Like a few of these words: http://books.google.com/books?id=ve2huw15GUsC&pg=PA285&lpg=PA285&dq=%22incompetent+cervix%22+insults+women&source=bl&ots=pfyD9l6QnT&sig=Es-_u66rvFdHiKbusKnERas3eIs&hl=en&ei=_z17TvLAMciltwfW8MX6Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

why can I never get the links to be short.

At any rate, I see no reason to teach my child the incorrect, slightly offensive medical term for the all encompassing area of her private parts. When she is older, I will teach her that the vagina is inside of you, the same way I will teach her that her pupil is inside her eyeball. My grandmother always called the butt a "rectum" and I wont teach her that is the word for butt, because the rectum is inside . To me, it just doesnt make sense.

ETA: Obviously, I didnt read the last page of posting before I posted this, and Storm Bride covered it.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Adaline'sMama is offline  
#147 of 186 Old 09-22-2011, 07:19 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, okay, if "birth canal" and "vagina" mean THE SAME THING, and neither of them is a "slang" term ("birth canal" tends to be used in clinical or wannabe-clinical contexts, not slang contexts), what is the reasoning for even using the term "birth canal"? It seems like a redundant term that should not even need to exist. The only reason I can think of that it would be used is because people don't want to use the term "vagina" for some reason. And most reasons that people do not want to say "vagina" come down to the same OMG IT'S GROSS TO SAY THAT rhetoric that I dislike.

erigeron is offline  
#148 of 186 Old 09-22-2011, 10:07 AM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,369
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

 

 

Quote:
The only reason I can think of that it would be used is because people don't want to use the term "vagina" for some reason. And most reasons that people do not want to say "vagina" come down to the same OMG IT'S GROSS TO SAY THAT rhetoric that I dislike.

 

ahhhhhh no, there really are those out there that don't know how the baby comes out! they "think" they are two different places dizzy.gif


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#149 of 186 Old 09-22-2011, 10:12 AM
 
rachelsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)


Quote:

Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Well, okay, if "birth canal" and "vagina" mean THE SAME THING, and neither of them is a "slang" term ("birth canal" tends to be used in clinical or wannabe-clinical contexts, not slang contexts), what is the reasoning for even using the term "birth canal"? It seems like a redundant term that should not even need to exist. The only reason I can think of that it would be used is because people don't want to use the term "vagina" for some reason. And most reasons that people do not want to say "vagina" come down to the same OMG IT'S GROSS TO SAY THAT rhetoric that I dislike.

 

I vote that we get rid of the term vagina then, and just use birth canal; after all, why use such a silly sounding word, which sounds like a euphemism (even if it isn't a euphemism in its current usage), if there's a perfectly good english word which is just as specific, and far more descriptive?
 

And wow, has this thread ever gotten off topic!

 

And here's a completely random bit of skirt related trivia:  I was taught that the way to sit in a kilt is knees apart with the apron part of the kilt (and the sporan) draped between.  I honestly find it much simpler to avoid unintentional gaps that way than with knees together anyway.

 

rachelsmama is offline  
#150 of 186 Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 AM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 27,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Well, okay, if "birth canal" and "vagina" mean THE SAME THING, and neither of them is a "slang" term ("birth canal" tends to be used in clinical or wannabe-clinical contexts, not slang contexts), what is the reasoning for even using the term "birth canal"? It seems like a redundant term that should not even need to exist. The only reason I can think of that it would be used is because people don't want to use the term "vagina" for some reason. And most reasons that people do not want to say "vagina" come down to the same OMG IT'S GROSS TO SAY THAT rhetoric that I dislike.



Why do so many people say "belly button". Do you think it's because they find "navel" offensive? I don't.

 

I actually don't care for the word "vagina" (I also have an irrational dislike of "penis", "spleen", "ulna" and other anatomical words, so don't jump to the preposterous conclusion that I dislike it because it's "gross to say".)

 

Personally, I like "birth canal", because I think it expresses the fundamental reason why we have one better than "vagina" does. I didn't care one way or the other, except for not really caring for the word "vagina" itself (probably part of why I switched to "vulva" so easily when I discovered the word), until I found out about the "vagina = sheath for a sword" thing. I don't get really hung up on that stuff, because I don't really think "vagina" does mean that, anymore - "vagina" simply means the internal part of a woman's genitals. But, I do think "birth canal" has a nicer connotation than "vagina" does. Plus, the one thing I really wanted out of life and didn't get was to use mine as a birth canal, so the term carries extra emotional weight for me.


Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off