Child care provider? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dropped my son off for day care this morning and stood on the porch to listen how long it took him to stop crying after I left. My DCP has been waxing eloquently about how they calm him down when I leave by distracting him with toys, videos and food. However, as I was standing there, DCP angrily said, "be quiet!" a couple if times. DS stopped crying-ish. But I'm pretty upset. I'll be standing on the porch tomorrow to see, but I'm feeling shook up. Any thoughts? Advice? Am I overreacting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 09:53 AM

I would switch, I wouldn't let someone take care of my child who talked nastily to him/her.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#3 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 10:05 AM

Even child care providers have a bad day.  I would definitely listen tomorrow.  If its a pattern, then I would talk to the DCP about what you heard and see what she has to say.  If she doesn't see an issue with her tone of voice or gets defensive, I would definitely change providers because someone with this little patience is likely to snap at other times too, and who knows how fast and how far that snap would be.

#4 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 10:08 AM

Um....gross. I am assuming that you're probably AP or slightlly AP if you belong to MDC. If you don't speak to your son that way, why should your provider? I am a home child care provider, and I would NEVER yell at a daycare child, especially because he was upset. Besides that, this person has been lying to you about how she calms your child. I am seriously disgusted.  I would look for alternate care ASAP, and if possible, pull him out immediately. NOT acceptable.

Certified Crazy™ Wife to my Spiderman husband luxlove.gif(Aug '01)

Super proud Momma  to DD (Jan'00), DD (Apr '02) and DS (Jun '04)

Always loving and missing our Baby James angel.gif born sleeping at 19 weeks (July '03).

signcirc1.gif

#5 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 10:18 AM

I would be out of there as soon as I could get alternate daycare set up.  That's the interaction you caught -- who knows what she's saying/doing when you aren't listening?

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#6 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ya....I'm significantly AP and I thought the CCP was too. Well as much as I could get here. I don't want to over-react, so I'm not going to move him right now. But I still feel upset about it. I'm going to listen again tomorrow and see what is going on. If it happens again, I'll sit down with them. (it is actually a mother/daughter team). I mean, I have had days where I have been frustrastrated with him...but she didn't even seem to try anything that they said they were doing.

#7 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I did childcare for three years and I would have been too embarassed to tell a child to "Be Quiet" in front of their parent.I might have shushed him, but I wouldn't have worded it that way.

While I wouldn't pull him out just based on what you described, I would do a couple of unannounced drop-ins during the day to see how he's doing and go from there.

purslaine and One_Girl like this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#8 of 8 Old 09-21-2011, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I would listen for a few days. This could be a one time thing and how many times have we accidentally said something we normally wouldn't say? I know it's your baby so either way it's unacceptable, but just to be sure.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page