Why did you pick what you picked re: childrens names - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 09-28-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why did you choose the name(s) that you did for your kids? Special meaning? After someone? Just liked the name? Wanted a certain style/feel of name? I'm curious why people choose what they choose.

#2 of 41 Old 09-28-2011, 07:23 PM

Mostly I just loved the names.  They're pretty simple and common enough that they aren't strange but not so common that they don't sound unique.  I think they are also both pretty whimsical sounding, which is funny because I wouldn't say that whimsical is something I have any great value for, but I guess I must deep down.  Augie is short for August which isn't whimsical at all.  And we gave them both very normal middle names in case they ever decide their first names are too out there  --  Milo is Milo Leo and Augie is August Roland.  

I've never met another Milo or another Augie irl, but I did google their names together and found a woman who had two boys with the same names.  We also had tons of other stuff in common, like she seemed pretty AP/non-mainstream, sahm, she knitted and sewed, and I think she was about the same age I am.  So odd!

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#3 of 41 Old 09-28-2011, 07:33 PM

In the case of first names it is because we like the names - and while my sons name did end up being somewhat common, it was not when we picked it.  We like less common but not unheard of names.

2nd names are for family members or to indulge flights of whimsy we did not want to saddle the child with as first names.

I will not give out first names as it might out me to too many people, lol, but middle names are unknown by almost anyone but family members, so here goes:

Margaret, Marie and Kenneth are family names; Merry (christmas baby!) and Piper (from Charmed - DH's pick) are the whimsy.

#4 of 41 Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM

DS's first name was one of about six that we liked.  A traditional name, but not overly common.  Also, at the hospital when we were trying to finalize our decision we looked at a baby name book, and discovered that "Colin" means "young cub."  Well, I am a Chicago Cubs fan and 2008 was a good year for them.  Plus, I had a thing for panda bears when I was pregnant and baby bears are called cubs.  I looked at DS wrapped up in his blanket and just thought, "That's my little cub!"

DS's middle name is after my husband's best friend who passed away WAY too young when I was about 6 months pregnant.  Found out later it was also my grandfather's middle name.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#5 of 41 Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 PM

I liked them.
They had some family connections.
They were names that everyone could pronounce. They're saddled with a last name that can prove difficult to pronounce.
I wanted names that could be easily pronounced in several different languages.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#6 of 41 Old 09-28-2011, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Rowan (DD) I liked because it was Celtic/Britishy (our heritage), and it reminded me of a stark tree on a hill, in a kind of dark-red way. I realise that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. :p But to me it connotes a strong woman without a trace of "girliness", and a vaguely Tolkienish, slightly bleak, but still homely vibe. So, um, yeah.

Miles (DD) I liked because it had an English, old-man-in-a-tweed-cap-and-pipe, CS Lewisy vibe which I thought went well with Rowan. And it reminded me vaguely of the poem "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening", which I like a lot (and it was referenced in Buffy, which I also like a lot). And, to be perfectly honest, because of Miles O'Brien on Star Trek. :p And also, because DH vetoed Lachlan.

I also liked that both names were fairly uncommon, although I didn't realise quite how uncommon until we named them and everyone started saying "What?". We nixed Liam for that reason - sadly, because I love the name, but it's REALLY popular over here at the moment.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#7 of 41 Old 09-28-2011, 08:13 PM

Logan because I had the hots for Wolverine when I was a preteen and thought it was the coolest name ever

Connor  I had insomnia and was watching old movies late at night and the Highlander came on and Connor was it.

Nathan was the only name DH and I could agree on

Jackson Charles .. Jackson was my grandfathers middle name and Charles was DH's grandfather and uncle and he was born on Uncle Chucks birthday.

All my boys also have family middle names.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#8 of 41 Old 09-28-2011, 08:48 PM

I named my dd Bridget because one night I was bored so I went to our bookshelf and randomly chose one of my dh's books to read. The first character mentioned in the book was a girl named Bridget and her birthday was April 29th. The next day I found out I was pregnant and that my due date was April 29th. I told my husband that if this baby was a girl I felt obligated to give her that name and he thought that was cool.
#9 of 41 Old 09-28-2011, 09:37 PM

DD is named after DH's late sister. She died at 3 months old from SIDS.

Both boys are named after comic book characters.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#10 of 41 Old 09-29-2011, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

First names were names we liked *but* it was tough because DH and I are from different countries/cultures so we needed names that would sound good (and be pronounceable!) in both languages. The middle names were family names.

#11 of 41 Old 09-29-2011, 12:14 AM

Both of my children's names start with "A".  We wanted to honor my husband's brother who passed away 7 years ago, and his name was Aaron.  Also, Aaron's two sons have names that start with "A" and The Hubby's name starts with "A", so we thought it was a good tradition to keep up.

Since we didn't know what gender baby we were having first we chose a girl and boy name.  We wanted uncommon names with deep meanings to us.  When my daughter was born we still loved the girl name we picked out so we used it.

Middle names are family names.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#12 of 41 Old 09-29-2011, 02:57 AM

Our kids are growing up immersed in my culture, and dh wanted to them to have something from his culture.  So they got names. :)    In his language, each of the names has special meaning, and he considered long and hard for each one.  He debated back and forth on the last one.  The meaning is "blessed", but for a while he was thinking to call the kid "blessing" because we got so much unwanted sympathy about having a third boy and that ticked him off.  And it would have been kind of cathartic to respond to "What's his name?" with "His name is Bereket and it means blessing."  But "blessed" is good too.

#13 of 41 Old 09-29-2011, 03:54 AM

Dh picked out dd's names.  They are so common in his native country that he has a few friends who have named their daughters the same.  It's like Morgan or Cameron in the US.  Really, very common.  We thought that it would be an easy name in English, too, and there is even a well-known writer with the name.

I felt that dh got naming rights because I was the blessed one who got to grow the baby and nurture her with my body.  I told him that he could pick out the name so that he could have a deep and abiding contribution to the life we were bringing into the world.  I gave him 100% license to name her and never even questioned his decision.  Would I have chosen that name?  Probably not (because it's not common in the US), but it fit her to a T and I think he chose very well.

Only after having her did we realize that people in the US have a hard time pronouncing her name.  Most of our friends are not American, and she doesn't attend a typical American school, so it's not a big problem because every non-English speaking person we've encountered doesn't have a problem with it... but my family had/has a hard time with it and when I introduce her we get, "Huh?  What?"  To which I reply, "You know, like the famous author."  Which often gets, "What author??"  Oh, well.  I still think he chose well.

#14 of 41 Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 AM

dd is named for my grandma and dh's grandmother and our babe in feb. will be named after dh's dad and grandfather. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#15 of 41 Old 09-29-2011, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DS was named for family. First name is a traditional family name in DH's family and is used for boys and girls these days. It was originally the maiden name of a great-great-great-etc. grandmother, and was used as a middle name by both DH's dad and also DH's sister who died in infancy (mumps, I think). DS also has the names of my father (which is unmistakably from his family's culture/heritage) and DH as middle names.  

DD's first name is one I always loved and it is definitely a feminine name, but with a lot of strength. Unfortunately, it's fairly popular, so I regret that she'll always have to contend with the confusion of a common name. One middle name is a variant of my mother's. It's "Joy" and a few of her teachers have commented on how well it suits her (she's a very happy kid), so that was fortuitous  smile.gif. The other middle name comes from my father's heritage, since we wanted to honour it, but it has no particular family significance - we just liked it. 

#16 of 41 Old 09-29-2011, 06:46 AM

Simple. Not common but not weird. Easy to spell. Plus all three mean something - farmer, knight, lion.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#17 of 41 Old 09-29-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post

Logan because I had the hots for Wolverine when I was a preteen and thought it was the coolest name ever

Connor  I had insomnia and was watching old movies late at night and the Highlander came on and Connor was it.

Nathan was the only name DH and I could agree on

Jackson Charles .. Jackson was my grandfathers middle name and Charles was DH's grandfather and uncle and he was born on Uncle Chucks birthday.

All my boys also have family middle names.

My Conner is named for exactly the same reason!  I looked at the video box for the spelling.  I never realized it would be so popular.

#18 of 41 Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 AM

We picked my kid's names off the family tree. Old fashioned names were making a comeback but I didn't want anything trendy.

Also, the name can't rhyme with anything.

The first and middle name have to have a cadence to them because they were born in the South where you do hear a kid's first and middle name on the playground. They call it a double name but its really just your first and middle run together. Ex. Sally Mae.. John Walter

Must be easy to spell and easy to pronounce. My parents did a KR*TV spelling on my name and I hated them by the time I was eight. Having to spell your name out to absolutely everyone is a real drag.

No juniors or naming them after live people. My brother and dad get each others mail all the time because they still live in the same town. And my husband's family is Jewish.. they only name after dead relatives.. otherwise its like wishing someone into the ground.
#19 of 41 Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

We gave our girls each three names, from those three names they can come up with over 10 decent names a piece.  Why?  Because growing up I hated my name.  People would say what's your name and I would say my name and they would say... "NO, really what's your name."  So the girls have options.  I love their names but they may not always like them and that's fine. 

#20 of 41 Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 AM

DS first name is easy to pronounce, not weird but not common. DH ran it by me first and I liked it as well. His middle name was my choice and it is a Biblical name--chosen for that reason.

DD first name was THE only name we could agree on. It is easy to pronounce and is not common. It is gender neutral--which I like (future employers won't be able to look at her resume and tell if she is male/female). Her middle name was DH choice although I also like it. It is becoming a very popular name (for both first and middle names).

#21 of 41 Old 09-29-2011, 11:31 AM

My son is named after my husband's grandfather who died a few months before I got pregnant. His name was Ray Calvin, and since I'm not much for the name Ray, we named our son Calvin and chose Thomas as the middle name just because we liked it.

We had a really hard time with our daughter's name. I've always loved the name Ruth, and I knew I wanted that to be her middle name. It turns out that was also my husband's grandmother's name. I was listening to The Beatles one day while I was pregnant, and the song Julia came on. I knew that had to be her name. I mentioned it to my husband, and he loved it (he's pickier about names than I am!). And I found out that Julia was my great-great grandmother's name. 

I'm pretty sure that we're done having kids now, but I already have another boy and girl's name picked out just in case. Sheepish.gif

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#22 of 41 Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 PM

ds is named indirectly for a close friend of dh's who died suddenly when they were 19. Actually, I suggested using the name, when I was a few months pg, just because I'd always thought it was cool (it's extremely rare), and dh confessed that he'd been having a recurring dream for weeks (before we got the BFP) that his friend was alive after all and he had to go to his birthday party. Wow. So that just seemed like the name it was meant to be.

dd is named for my grandmother, who I was very close to and who died a few months before dd was conceived. It was The Baby's name before we even conceived her--ds and I used to talk playfully about "Baby E". Unfortunately, it's become one of the most ridiculously common names for girls, so common, in fact, that we decided we couldn't use it and picked something else. In the last week, we switched back to this name, though we were convinced she was a boy so it didn't seem relevant. Again, it just seemed like it had to be her name.

Both of their middle names are just names we really happened to like--Sebastian and Sophie (again, too common, but it means "wisdom," and dh and I are both academics, so...).

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#23 of 41 Old 09-30-2011, 08:11 PM

I love this riff on naming children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHolAN5Qmsw
#24 of 41 Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 PM

DS1 was because we tried a bunch of names, but they either sounded strange with his surname, or they just didn't fit him. The only thing my ex and I had agreed on beforehand was that he wouldn't get a unisex name...and then a unisex name was the one that fit. We just kept looking at him and thinking, "yeah - that's his name".

DD1...I'd waited a long time for a second baby (several years of never explained secondary infertility, followed by a series of three miscarriages). DH had his heart set on the name "Emma' for a girl. I didn't really care for it, but when she arrived, and turned out to be a girl, I was so glad to have a real, live baby again that I gave in on it.

DS2...dh and I found it really, really hard to agree on a boy's name. We have completely different tastes. So, we eventually each short-listed to 10 names, and ds2's name was the only one that appeared on both lists (I beileve it was in 10th place on both!).

I honestly don't remember how we settled on dd2's name. We just liked the sound of it.

I have a thing about two syllable names. I won't choose names that are any other length. So, my children have a total of eight names between them (not counting surnames - but, oddly enough, my maiden name, first married surname and current surname are all two syllables, as well), and all eight are two syllables. The initial vowel sound in each of my children's names is also a short "e" sound, but that was an accident.

I was named (middle name) after my late maternal grandmother, and I hated her guts, and spent much of my life hiding the name from everybody I could hide it from. So, I don't do names in honour of anybody. None of my chlidren's names (first or middle) honour anyone I know.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#25 of 41 Old 09-30-2011, 10:09 PM

Oh and the initials couldn't spell anything.
Storm Bride likes this.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#26 of 41 Old 09-30-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

Oh and the initials couldn't spell anything.

I so agree. And defiantly nothing like PIG, DOG, HAG or anything odd or dirty sounding.
#27 of 41 Old 10-01-2011, 06:24 AM

We picked our kids' names because we liked the sound and look of them.  We were looking for names that were unusual but not way far-out.  We also wanted fairly short names.  We wanted the initials (first, middle, last) to not spell out something weird or offensive.

Dd is Djuna Emily (after author Djuna Barnes, and artist Emily Carr), and ds is Alden Michael (Alden - just a name we liked, and Michael is my dad's name).

BTW (in case anyone is curious) Djuna is pronounced "joo-nah".  The D is silent.  The name was originally made up by Djuna Barnes' father.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#28 of 41 Old 10-01-2011, 07:32 AM

DD1's name came from a conversation we had about 3 weeks after we started dating. Somehow got talking about kids and names we liked, and turns out we both loved the name Isabella Grace. We tried out a thousand other names three years later when we were married and actually expecting our girl, but we couldn't settle on anything else, it had to be Isabella Grace. "Isabella" is ridiculously common here now, but at the time, I only knew one other person with the name. Even if I had known then that it was going to explode the way it did, she would still have to be Isabella, I can't imagine her as anyone else.

My son's name, Silas, came from Scripture, the story of Silas and Paul. I heard it in church one Sunday, long before I was even pregnant, and heard a voice as clear as crystal telling me that I was going to have a boy and his name was to be Silas. I loved the Scripture (Acts 14;19-40) but hated the name, so I just shoved the whole experience to the back of my mind. When I got pregnant about 7 months later, the "voice" came back and it kept insisting that my boy's name was to be Silas. I fought for half the pregnancy to come up with another name, because I still hated "Silas" and so did everyone else around me, but it started to grow on me and eventually, I started fighting everyone else, ex-dh included, to get it. The only way he would agree was if I let him choose the middle name. I was a little worried at first, because his top choice for quite a while was Wilford, but he eventually settled on Henry and I was very happy with that. 

Eva, Tired Single Mama of Hurricane Bella~3/06 and Boy Bug Silas~7/08 fencing.gif

delayedvax.gifintactlact.gifcd.gif

#29 of 41 Old 10-01-2011, 11:02 AM

One is named after a beloved grandfather.

Another is named for the first person on one side of the family to come here from the old country.

It was important to us to pick names with personal meaning, not just because we happen to like a random collection of sounds.
#30 of 41 Old 10-09-2011, 07:04 PM

My first is her first name is my middle name. Its also my great grandma's first name and it goes back further in the family but I don't remember exactly how. DD1's middle name is my MIL's middle name. DD2's first name is just a name that I liked, her middle name is my husband's grandma's middle name. My son's first name is my husband's grandpa's first name, his middle name is my grandpa's first name, his last name is hyphenated DH's grandpa's last name/our last name.

If we had another child we already have names selected. If its a boy he would be named after my uncle and DH's father's. If its a girl she would be named a name I really liked and my mother's middle name.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page