Just for fun: What are your kids going to be for Halloween? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Just a fluff thread. smile.gif

What are your kids going to be for Halloween, and how are you getting their costumes together (buying, making, a mix of both, borrowing, etc.)? 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#2 of 56 Old 10-02-2011, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My ds wants to be a witch.  How do you make a boy witch costume??

#3 of 56 Old 10-02-2011, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
DD2 will be a pumpkin head. She already told me we need to get on it. DD1 says no to store bought, they're boring and last year we made ours and lots of kids asked where we got it. She's going to be a Zombie princess... again. I need to work on my paper mache skills as DD2 has already told me it has to be light because she doesn't want to take it off at all.
#4 of 56 Old 10-02-2011, 06:47 PM

Penguin and Hermione Granger. I buy costumes. I don't sew. I don't want my children to learn the vocabulary they would be exposed to if I tried to sew. bag.gif (I am, however, knitting a Gryffindor scarf for dd.)

Polliwog likes this.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#5 of 56 Old 10-02-2011, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My ds and I are going to be a mama and baby bat. I am making his costume and adding wings to a shirt of mine.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#6 of 56 Old 10-02-2011, 09:34 PM

Dd is going to be a raccoon.
I'm making it.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#7 of 56 Old 10-02-2011, 09:51 PM

DSD wants to be a bat. i really want to make her costume, but i dont know if i will be able to. it seems like a strictly mom thing to do and her mom might want to buy her costume (i dont think she sews). im debating offering my skills... i dont think she would mind but i had better ask DP. 

Karla (24), loving having and growing a family: my amazing man, DS (1.5), DSD (6), a dog and two cats. Expecting my second 1sttri.gif November 2nd!
#8 of 56 Old 10-03-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Last year I made my then-5-year-old DS a witch costume.  I had an old shirt I'd sewn for myself out of Halloween fabric that I'd never finished (no buttons/buttonholes), so that became the dress/robe.  I borrowed a black tie from DH to use as DS's belt, and found a remnant of black fleece to use as DS's cape.  I did buy a witch's hat for him.  That was it.  He wore regular clothes underneath for warmth.  Everyone who saw him thought he was a girl, but DS was too excited about getting candy to notice/care.  (I mean, Halloween is all about dressing up as things you're not, so why is it such a stretch that a boy can dress up as a female witch?  Even DH tried to talk DS out of it at first.)

This year DS refuses to discuss Halloween so far.  I'll wait a couple more weeks before I ask again, then cobble together a last-minute costume (he tends to change his mind frequently anyway).

#9 of 56 Old 10-03-2011, 05:15 AM

DD (nearly 10) is going as a twin equestrian with her BF, they are both basically just wearing their riding gear. My youngest DS (7) wants me to add a tail to black jogging pants and ears to a black touque (spell check came up, is there an English spelling to this? You know, a winter hat that fits close to the head) so that he can be a cat. He's painting orange stripes on the jogging suit and doing face make up. My oldest DS (11) has been making his own costumes since he was 7 and is really good with a sewing machine and sometimes just inventive design. Last year he was a two headed monster (other years he was a bat, Peter Pan, a cat, an orange tree and a ninja). He hasn't announced the plan yet, I'll probably hear once he's done with his medieval gingerbread castle (for a history project).

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#10 of 56 Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 AM

DD wants to be a mermaid, and ds wants to be a knight.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#11 of 56 Old 10-03-2011, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DS is too young to choose so this mama is having fun!

Right now it's a toss up between Donald Trump (someone gave him a ridiculous pin stripe suit- I need to experiment with DS's hair though)

and Flavor Flav (got the adidas track suit, just need a clock to go around his neck).

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#12 of 56 Old 10-03-2011, 06:36 AM

As of now dd (7yo) is saying she wants to be the Tooth Fairy.  I guess we'll do a mix of bought and made (I'll buy some white fairy wings and make the rest).  I'm not entirely sure how to distinguish the Tooth Fairy from any old fairy.  Maybe I'll make a tooth-collection bag (bag with a giant tooth appliqued onto it).

Ds (4yo) is having trouble settling on what he wants to be.  It might be a pumpkin.  Some of his ideas seem a little too tricky for me to make (like a car... that REALLY drives!).  Last year's costume was a huge hit.  He was Mario (from Super Mario).  I made his costume with a combo of thrift store finds, sewing, and face paint.  All the older kids were stopping him to tell him how cool it was.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#13 of 56 Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

(I am, however, knitting a Gryffindor scarf for dd.)

Me too! Well, crocheting. DS is going to be Harry Potter and DD is going to be a spider. I'm doing a mix of storebought and homemade for both. 

DS will wear black pants, a white button-down, a storebought Gryffindor tie and HP glasses, the crocheted scarf, and a cloak that I'll sew (I'm a beginner, but I figure Halloween costumes are the perfect thing to practice on). 

DD will wear black leggings and a black long-sleeved shirt, then I'll stuff black tube socks and sew them to the shirt, then somehow string them together so that they move when she moves her arms. Seems easy in my head -- we'll see how it goes once I actually do it! 

#14 of 56 Old 10-03-2011, 10:57 AM

My 11yo DD is going to be an old man. We are going to Value Village to get her some grandpa stuff, but will buy her mask new, as she has already seen it and it was her inspiration for the costume to begin with.  My 9yo dd wants to be "Dorothy that didn't make it through the tornado". We will do her costume entirely from thrift stores, except for Toto, as we already have one here.  Don't know what 7yo DS will be yet. He's at a loss. Any suggestions for a fun and easy costume?

Certified Crazy™ Wife to my Spiderman husband luxlove.gif(Aug '01)

Super proud Momma  to DD (Jan'00), DD (Apr '02) and DS (Jun '04)

Always loving and missing our Baby James angel.gif born sleeping at 19 weeks (July '03).

signcirc1.gif

#15 of 56 Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:

black outfit and witch's hat :)

DS (2) will be a black cat- I'll probably be buying it online, or maybe making it but I am really amateur sewer so it would not end up great. We will draw whiskers on his cheeks and a little black nose with some eye makeup. We picked this because one of the things he loves to say is 'mew' and since he can't say trick or treat yet, we thought it would be darling to walk and go 'mew!'

#16 of 56 Old 10-03-2011, 10:22 PM

DD1 is going to be Little Red Riding hood (her choice) and I'm using a thrifted fleece blanket for her cloak :) The blanket even came with a pocket sewn on!  How could I resist?

DD2.. well, as much as big sister wants her to be the big bad wolf.... I don't know how I'd do that ;)  She's probably going to be the wind... dressed in light blue and silver, with white playsliks draped around/sewn on/something like that.  Not sure.  That was also her sister's idea.  DD2 is still a bit young and has no clue what Halloween is, so she really can't decide for herself!

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#17 of 56 Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 PM

My 4 year old wanted to be a cat but now she wants to be a devil cheerleader lol 

The bay who will be like 3 weeks then is going to be a pea pod or something like that have not decided yet.

#18 of 56 Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:

Ds had this costume when he was 5. I bought it off ebay. You could easily do something like this in black. (Ds wanted to be a wizard). Long black 'dress/cloak', pointy hat. Voila!

From the front                                                           The back

wizard.JPG  atdoor.JPG

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#19 of 56 Old 10-05-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post

DD1 is going to be Little Red Riding hood (her choice) and I'm using a thrifted fleece blanket for her cloak :) The blanket even came with a pocket sewn on!  How could I resist?

DD2.. well, as much as big sister wants her to be the big bad wolf.... I don't know how I'd do that ;)  She's probably going to be the wind... dressed in light blue and silver, with white playsliks draped around/sewn on/something like that.  Not sure.  That was also her sister's idea.  DD2 is still a bit young and has no clue what Halloween is, so she really can't decide for herself!

What about something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baby-halloween-wolf-costume-12-18-months-/160660613266?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25681e6892

If you want to sew, you basically make a sleeper with a hood.

You can often get them cheap used. We had a killer Clifford the Big Red Dog costume I got on Ebay, and a really cool Penguin costume that I bought new, but will see several years' worth of use. (Ds likes to keep to a theme. He was a firefighter 3 years in a row.)

#20 of 56 Old 10-06-2011, 05:37 AM

My kids are disturbingly morbid this year. The boys are going as grim reapers and DD is going as a bride. A dead bride eyesroll.gif.  They paid for and picked out the costume supplies themselves at the thrift store ( Who knew you could by a wedding dress for $12.99 ?) And I bought a bunch of that fake cobwebby stuff and what looks like 1/2 decent make up.

There was an awkward moment however when DH asked the boys what they were going as and DS replied (completely innocent and oblivious of his mistake) that they were both going as grim rapers. I was like REAPER! REAPER! you have to say REAPER!!! And Ds was like What? Why's Daddy choking? What did I say?

Fun times.

Bearsmom likes this.
#21 of 56 Old 10-06-2011, 10:05 AM

My youngest two are going with the simple, warm costumes.  Dd will be a monkey and ds will be a dog.  I bought the dog costume used and the monkey costume is borrowed from a friend.

Ds1 is going as a train engineer.  He has a fascination with trains that has yet to die and is so not into the scary aspect of Halloween. He already had a train engineer hat, gloves and vest so I just needed to buy him the shirt he thought was appropriate.

Dd1 wants to be a fairy.  I actually made her a no-sew tutu from instructions I googled and found on youtube and it turned out pretty fabulous.  We were going to make some wings too but when we were at Walmart they had some nice aqua coloured ones for $4.  I wouldn't have been able to make them any cheaper than that.  We did buy some gemstones for her to glue on and we'll make a wand at some point.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#22 of 56 Old 10-06-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy212 View Post

DS (2) will be a black cat- I'll probably be buying it online, or maybe making it but I am really amateur sewer so it would not end up great. We will draw whiskers on his cheeks and a little black nose with some eye makeup. We picked this because one of the things he loves to say is 'mew' and since he can't say trick or treat yet, we thought it would be darling to walk and go 'mew!'

Aw, that will be really cute. orngbiggrin.gif

Hey, this morning I saw cat accessory sets (ears, tail, and something else -- maybe a bow tie or something?) at Target for $5.00. You could do that and just a plain black outfit and it'd be really cheap and cute! 

#23 of 56 Old 10-06-2011, 11:41 AM

The last 2 years my 2nd dd went as a bowl of Easy Mac (only because it was easy to make and was recognizable as could be around here, I don't buy it myself).  It was a huge hit.  I took a white laundry basket and cut a hole in the bottom to rest on her hips.  Then I got out a piece of white paper from a roll and made a label w/markers.  For the noodles we mixed up tempera paint until it was that "cheesey" color and painted empty toilet paper rolls.  I strung them w/yarn so they wouldn't come out and fly away in the wind.  Then we took cardboard and made a fork and covered it w/duck tape and taped on a bunch of noodles.  We also made a noodle hat w/just noodles and yarn. I had gone as a tree hugger and only one person got it, lol.  Figures considering where I live.

This year we are going as beekeepers.  My dh and I will be beekeepers, the lo will be the queen bee, and someone will be a jar of honey, and someone a beehive.

DSCN2175.JPGLOL, it kinda looks like she's out to get someone w/that fork!

Polliwog likes this.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#24 of 56 Old 10-06-2011, 12:38 PM

My 8 year old wants to be an alien and my 6 year old would like to go to be a tree.  We are making costumes.  I'm hoping the new baby comes after halloween so I don't have to worry about a costume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBeth View Post
My youngest DS (7) wants me to add a tail to black jogging pants and ears to a black touque (spell check came up, is there an English spelling to this? You know, a winter hat that fits close to the head) 

I had to look up touque the other day.  Here's a link.  There's a section full of Other Names.  Where I live it's called a toboggan.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#25 of 56 Old 10-06-2011, 12:44 PM

My DD has lots of stuff in her dress up box and was originally going to pick one of her princess outfits.  Then she decided she wanted to be a hairdresser and then a doctor.  Now, she wants to be a princess doctor and plans on wearing one of the outfits with her doctor's smock and a stethoscope.  Who knows what she'll actually decide on that day  smile.gif

#26 of 56 Old 10-06-2011, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

The last 2 years my 2nd dd went as a bowl of Easy Mac (only because it was easy to make and was recognizable as could be around here, I don't buy it myself).  It was a huge hit.  I took a white laundry basket and cut a hole in the bottom to rest on her hips.  Then I got out a piece of white paper from a roll and made a label w/markers.  For the noodles we mixed up tempera paint until it was that "cheesey" color and painted empty toilet paper rolls.  I strung them w/yarn so they wouldn't come out and fly away in the wind.  Then we took cardboard and made a fork and covered it w/duck tape and taped on a bunch of noodles.  We also made a noodle hat w/just noodles and yarn. I had gone as a tree hugger and only one person got it, lol.  Figures considering where I live.

This year we are going as beekeepers.  My dh and I will be beekeepers, the lo will be the queen bee, and someone will be a jar of honey, and someone a beehive.

DSCN2175.JPGLOL, it kinda looks like she's out to get someone w/that fork!

That's a GREAT costume!!

#27 of 56 Old 10-06-2011, 02:02 PM

DD wants to be Hermione.  I haven't thought too much about what to do with the boys yet...  I am tempted to make the youngest an elf or a goblin- simply in honor of his ears.

Beyond that- I have almost no ambition.... 

#28 of 56 Old 10-06-2011, 04:18 PM

Dd,13,is going as Beavis from Beavis and Butthead.Ds,10,is going to be Spongebob.Both costumes were bought at iparty.I have a really hard time finding costumes for ds,as he's chubby and doesn't like masks or makeup.The Spongebob is an adult size and just slips over his head,kind of like a dress I guess lol.Dd can't wait,she's going to run around saying "fire,fire,fire!!" and "I am the great cornholio!I need tp for my bunghole!!"Should be a fun halloween!My niece is going as Smurfette,also purchased at iparty.She has the blue makeup and the smurf nose too.I don't think I'm dressing up this year,although I'm thinking about it.I wanted to be Cartman and carry around a bag of Cheesy Poofs,but I really don't have the money for a costume,so who knows what I'll be,if anything.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#29 of 56 Old 10-06-2011, 07:42 PM

My 2-year-old is going to be a gorilla. We found a gorilla suit at a recent consignment sale and DS picked it out himself. It's adorable!
#30 of 56 Old 10-06-2011, 08:46 PM

so DSDs mom is planning to be out of town on halloween (also the preceding weekend: DSDs birthday and party dizzy.gif) and has no interest in making her costume, so DP and i get to, yay!

she has specifically requested a mask: "a bat face, not a Marlee face". im thinking black tights and long sleeved shirt with a balaclava that has big fabric ears sewn on and a mask made of either fabric or paper mache depicting a bat nose and teeth. for the wings, half a black umbrella top sewn to each arm and side of her shirt. also, gloves with claws. 

we will also be doing her birthday party on the 29th which may be halloween themed. 

i may be too excited about this but this is the first halloween and kids party i have planned :)

Karla (24), loving having and growing a family: my amazing man, DS (1.5), DSD (6), a dog and two cats. Expecting my second 1sttri.gif November 2nd!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page