NPR around kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 82 Old 10-03-2011, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm curious if anyone listens to NPR with their kids and, if so, what age they were when you started to do it.  

I've been listening to NPR in the car with Milo since he was five or six.  There have always been stories that I felt uneasy about him hearing (those involving war, rape, other kinds of violence, etc) and sometimes I have turned to another station for a few minutes.  But he actually listens pretty intently and if I don't turn the radio on he will ask for it.  He would much rather listen to the news than to music.  And he loves a lot of the shows, especially This American Life.  But he also routinely says he doesn't want to get out of the car until an All Things Considered segment is over.  

I have been wondering, though, about how other parents feel about this because I've been driving Milo and one of his classmates (different kid each time) to the park once a week for their school "park day" and when I do it, I always change to a music station.  I just have no idea if other parents allow their kids to hear this kind of stuff.  There are times that I'm uneasy about it, but I think he has learned so much and the good far outweighs the bad.  And maybe he's at okay age to be hearing the bad stuff, too.  It would be pretty weird to not know it was out their until you were much older than he is (he's 8 now).

Also, I'm curious, if you do listen to it yourself, how old are you?  I'm 41 and I drive a volvo station wagon and I'm afraid that makes me the *perfect* NPR demographic.  tiphat.gif

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#2 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 12:03 AM

Dh has always had it on in the car since dd was quite young. Sometimes I have asked him to change it to music on a long car ride where story after story of war or politics just got to me. I actually don't think dd has paid much attention except to things like Car Talk or Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me. I asked her and she said she hasn't been bothered by anything she has heard on NPR.

I'm 37 and Dh is 31 and dd is 11 and we are long time NPR listeners.

I guess I would just ask the other parents if the children are sensitive about news stories or ask if they listen to NPR.

When we've had other kids in our car they've always been so occupied with each other that I don't think it mattered what was on the radio.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#3 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 AM

I do not. There are too many things on there I wouldn't want Dc (ages 6 and 9) to hear or know about.  I'd definitely be upset if Dc were in another car and newstories and things were on. However listening to anything on the radio in the car is generally frowned upon at our school so I'm not overly concerned about it on field trips.  And at age 9 the stuff the kids come up with on their own is frightening enough! ;)

#4 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 01:44 AM

I have absolutely no doubt that we fit perfectly into the "demographic" for NPR.  Age, profession, education, interests and all.  We have always listened to NPR with dd in the car.  She is now 9 and it has spawned a lot of excellent discussions.  We've never shied away from her hearing about what is happening in the world.  While she is sensitive, she's also very curious and it has never caused anything problems.  We are a news hounds in this house and she has access to news on TV and newspapers (NYT and USA Today) every day as well.

To and from school, we listen to Morning Edition and All Things Considered.  She's also often in the car for the Diane Rehm Show, Fresh Air, or The World (which is a favorite).  On the weekends, we actively seek out Car Talk, Wait Wait, and A Prairie Home Companion for laughs.  We also like A Way With Words (great discussion there) and The Splendid Table.  We also have some local shows we enjoy.  The same station plays Thistle and Shamrock, Arts of Space, and classical music at other times and has a nice afternoon jazz program, so it's pretty much the only station we ever have on in the car.

When we have other kids in the car, I put on a book on tape.

#5 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)

Proud members and yes, both children have listened and we never have turned it off- it allows a great open discussion and you are not viewing graphics (as with TV, etc)- war for example is real to many children around the world - listening is important to us as well as having our children read the newspapers-this is a tool that starts early in our family---we use both and never had any reason thus far not to

*bejeweled* and Phantome like this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#6 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 06:03 AM

My kid is just 18 months, and she loves Radiolab smile.gif Its all the crazy noises and sounds they make.

I will continue to listen to NPR until my children are old enough to beg me to put music on because they are bored in the car. And even then, they will have to tolerate it as my primary form of background noise at home. Ill admit it, Im an addict smile.gif
Fnord likes this.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 06:57 AM

I'm an addict, too. I listen to almost no other radio, I get all my news from NPR, and we love the weekend programming that's already been mentioned. Right now, our little guy is just 9 months, so doesn't "get" anything that's being said. I've actually thought about this, though- there are some edgy stories covered on NPR, and even I turn the station when there's a warning before the story that it has graphic content. I especially appreciate those warnings! 

That said, I probably will continue to listen to NPR with my children in the car. I'd rather them ask me about real world events that may be hard to talk about than them singing along to raunchy pop-song lyrics.

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#8 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 07:09 AM

We've always listened to NPR. As with velochic's family, we've had a number of discussions from listening to NPR stories.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#9 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 07:11 AM

yeah, it's about the only thing that's ever on at our house/in the car.  we particularly enjoy the weekend npr programming we get (though i think each local station plays different stuff). 

lately i've had some love/hate with some of the npr stuff, though.  it amazes me, for example, how very pro-vax they are, and even if we did vax, i'd still be offended at the lack of a balanced perspective with that... i have a facebook feed, too, and it seems like every time there's a slow news day they do a vax story to get facebook commenters riled up.  i assume they are getting some major contributions from industry or else political pressure, EXACTLY because of the demographics (all those educated hippie npr listeners are the ones who don't vax... let's target that audience this way)

AND i think it is most curious about the lack of coverage of the occupy wall street stuff going on.  kind of weird, the silence..

but, overall, we enjoy.  i don't filter/censor, i think kids tend to tune out stuff they don't understand.  and personally, i'm ultra sensitive these days so i'm likely to turn it off it there's something that is just too much for me to handle. 

NinasMommy likes this.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#10 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 07:22 AM

Like other posters I listen to NPR all the time. My 6y/o DD is used to it. Sometimes in the car she'll ask for music and we'll trade off with each other. :)

#11 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)

Quote:
though i think each local station plays different stuff

they sure do!

ahhhhhhhh we have 6 NPRs that we can get live on the radio and none have "Radio Lab"!!!!! - mostly in the car-if it is a long trip- we download all the NPR stuff we can't get and listen to it that way-but pause when it's time for news

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#12 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

I have absolutely no doubt that we fit perfectly into the "demographic" for NPR.  Age, profession, education, interests and all.  We have always listened to NPR with dd in the car.  She is now 9 and it has spawned a lot of excellent discussions.  We've never shied away from her hearing about what is happening in the world.  While she is sensitive, she's also very curious and it has never caused anything problems.  We are a news hounds in this house and she has access to news on TV and newspapers (NYT and USA Today) every day as well.

To and from school, we listen to Morning Edition and All Things Considered.  She's also often in the car for the Diane Rehm Show, Fresh Air, or The World (which is a favorite).  On the weekends, we actively seek out Car Talk, Wait Wait, and A Prairie Home Companion for laughs.  We also like A Way With Words (great discussion there) and The Splendid Table.  We also have some local shows we enjoy.  The same station plays Thistle and Shamrock, Arts of Space, and classical music at other times and has a nice afternoon jazz program, so it's pretty much the only station we ever have on in the car.

When we have other kids in the car, I put on a book on tape.

Just wondering what you mean by profession and education? I've always found NPR geared toward everyone, regardless of education or profession. Around here, most people have a radio in their kitchen which is usually tuned to our (only) NPR station and it's on all day. I can walk into my uncle's house and it will be on - my uncle never got past 6'th grade and worked labor jobs his whole life,  - or I can walk into my SIL's house - she's an M.D. - and it's on. When I was a single teenage Mom on trying to finish high school and working fast food it's all I listened to.

People listen to it because it's interesting and they're interested, and it's public, as in - for everybody.

OP- I wouldn't worry too much about having NPR on when you're transporting other kids, if they're anything like my kids they'll be too busy giggling and chattering to even notice what's on the radio.

Owen'nZoe likes this.
#13 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

CHILDSPLAY - i think velochic meant the kind of people who LISTEN to NPR, not who NPR is meant for. most listeners are college educated and actually our local NPR broadcasts from our local university. 

we are a radio hound so radio is on all the time. 

not just NPR but our own local college station, and moth radio (we are storytelling 'fanatics' out here). 

we dont drive right now but its our favourite thing to do while working in the kitchen. 

the radio has always been on. when dd was younger she found NPR boring and always prefered music. now we do both depending on what's on or what we are in the mood for.

and yes even for us the radio has contributed a lot in our lives. its generated a lot of interesting convo in our lives. when last year dd heard about the impact of meditation on tortured monks in tibet she decided to use it for her anxiety (mind u i had been telling her about it for a long time). it helped.

another particular favourite of ours is TEDtalks. we mostly listen to them and watch a few of them. mostly on philosophy. though we did watch the one on kombucha http://www.ted.com/talks/suzanne_lee_grow_your_own_clothes.html and the behaviour of particles in a vaccum http://www.ted.com/talks/aaron_o_connell_making_sense_of_a_visible_quantum_object.html and ..... i could go on and on and on. 

we even have a radio in the bathroom. music station. blasting to hear over shower. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#14 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I am not in the NPR demographic age, but I have been listening to NPR since my dd was a baby.  When she was in preschool she went through a stage of having a very hard time hearing the harder stories so I changed the station when they came on, but now that she is older she often wants to stay engaged with the stories that are on even if they are stories I wouldn't typically choose to have her hear.  I mostly let her choose her comfort level with the stories that are on.  We have great conversations about what we hear and I love how connected to the world she is.  In the car we tend to listen to a variety of stations with music because music is something that I really enjoy and want my dd to value, but when we have friends over to the house I change the station to music.  I don't want to risk my dd losing a friend because they talk about what they hear on NPR at our house, especially when I can just go on my phone later and read the story there. 

#15 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I usually listen to NPR while driving, but not when the children are around.   With the children, we usually chat instead.  No particular reason, just how it has worked so far. 

Pro rights (vaxes).
#16 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by childsplay View Post

Just wondering what you mean by profession and education?

I meant exactly what I said.  In response to one of the OP's question I said that WE (dh and I) fit the demographic profile:  http://www.wqub.org/media/NPR%20Profile%20stats%202009/NPR%20demographics.pdf

Doesn't mean anyone outside of the demographic can't enjoy it or those in it have to.  Otherwise my dd would be SOL because she loves opera and she certainly isn't in the demographic for opera attendees and my dh hates sports, so there goes that demographic, too.

(I think the link is fixed now.)

#17 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 01:06 PM

I listened to NPR around the kids until they hit about 3. Both are pretty sensitive kids and were getting upset by the content. They were too young to be able to put it in perspective, so I just quit. Now we've been going so long without it on around the kids that I've discovered I like the quiet at home, and we have pretty good talks in the car. I think I could probably turn it on in the car again, and the kids would be fine. (I know ds would be, dd (age 7), might still need to wait a year or so.) But then my kids are hearing about wars, etc. other places. Dd and I had a very interesting discussion about the Iraq war last week.

Melaniee likes this.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#18 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 01:13 PM

It depends, for me.

I probably fit the demographic and I'm a longtime listener/member; it is my primary news source, I'd say.

In the morning, when we're eating breakfast, I turn it on and we listen while we eat - if the story is too far out there for a 6 and 4.5yo to really get the context, etc., I will turn it off.  The kids are pretty well informed for their ages, but I'm not a diehard "must listen at all costs" and give the kids nightmares  (as happened when they described the casualties of one particularly horrific bombing).  As they've aged, I've turned it off less and less but I am still a little selective.  It does have a lot of good conversation starters, I think, but when my kids were 3 & 2, I wasn't having many of those conversations just yet.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#19 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 01:13 PM

Our family loves NPR. We listen to it with the kids around. Sometimes, our eldest asks questions, which we love and we grab at the chance to connect with her. If it's a particular rough topic we have been known to throw on the ipod. But, it's not really censored around here. We value the bad because without it we cannot appreciate the good. As a Christian family we hope for the best but as an intelligent family we know bad things happen. Their uncle is a soldier so we don't shelter them from the reality of death, but we do find it's easier to talk about if they hear it on the radio than if they see it on the television. Plus, NPR has some really fun radio shows that they enjoy outside of the negative stories. They love the Science day stuff and enjoy listening to jokes, even if they don't understand the politics of it all.

#20 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 03:34 PM

I had my child at 43. He's now eight and well, you can do the math.  :-)

He's listened to NPR since....well....forever. Anywhere we go in the car, it's on. I do turn down the volume if a story is particularly horrific, but otherwise I leave it on and it creates such great opportunities for conversation! Also, we're sort of un-schooly homeschoolers, so I think of it as educational. He will ask me what things mean, and I explain. Or, if I sense that the topic is something that he needs to know more about, I will expand on it. An example would be around Martin Luther King's birthday, talking about race relations, or other political subjects. Today there was a lot of talk about the Greek debt crisis, so I said (knowing that he is listening in the back seat) "do you know what debt is?" "No." So I got to explain what debt is, in simple terms of course. The list goes on. Also, the cultural stuff that he hears on NPR is wonderful! Music from around the world, interviews with performers of all kinds.....I love it!!  He is going to have a much more worldly-wise awareness than I ever did. My upbringing was very USA-centric. Until 9/11 it was like the outside world didn't even exist. I am embarrassed to say that. But the great thing is, we learn TOGETHER. It's thrilling. The world is an amazing place and I'm happy to share it with my son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post

I'm curious if anyone listens to NPR with their kids and, if so, what age they were when you started to do it.  

I've been listening to NPR in the car with Milo since he was five or six.  There have always been stories that I felt uneasy about him hearing (those involving war, rape, other kinds of violence, etc) and sometimes I have turned to another station for a few minutes.  But he actually listens pretty intently and if I don't turn the radio on he will ask for it.  He would much rather listen to the news than to music.  And he loves a lot of the shows, especially This American Life.  But he also routinely says he doesn't want to get out of the car until an All Things Considered segment is over.  

I have been wondering, though, about how other parents feel about this because I've been driving Milo and one of his classmates (different kid each time) to the park once a week for their school "park day" and when I do it, I always change to a music station.  I just have no idea if other parents allow their kids to hear this kind of stuff.  There are times that I'm uneasy about it, but I think he has learned so much and the good far outweighs the bad.  And maybe he's at okay age to be hearing the bad stuff, too.  It would be pretty weird to not know it was out their until you were much older than he is (he's 8 now).

Also, I'm curious, if you do listen to it yourself, how old are you?  I'm 41 and I drive a volvo station wagon and I'm afraid that makes me the *perfect* NPR demographic.  tiphat.gif

MeTooMama likes this.
#21 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I just stopped listening to it regularly. I normally listen morning and evening as I'm driving the kids around. I don't have an issue listening with my kids in the car, but I do turn it off when thee are other kids that aren't mine. Same with my music since we tend to listen to the Top 20 station. shy.gif DD2 is a huge music fan and she complains/whines nonstop when I have NPR on, she wants her music. I'm missing it so she is going to have to learn how to wait here soon. I'm younger then many listeners but I've always loved the news. I remember reading the paper daily by age 10. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#22 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Dar

I listened to it lot when Rain was little, although sometimes we did books on tape, especially with other kids in the car when she was youngish., and sometimes we listened to music. I remember turning the channel once or twice when she was disturbed by a story, but mostly we just talked about stuff. She's pretty hooked now - she just got her own radio show on her college's student radio station and dreams of interning on WAMU next year, and eventually for This American Life in NYC.... smile.gif

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#23 of 82 Old 10-04-2011, 08:44 PM

We frequently listen to it ... mostly because my DD likes to read in the car and can not focus with music on. 

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#24 of 82 Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post

I listened to it lot when Rain was little, although sometimes we did books on tape, especially with other kids in the car when she was youngish., and sometimes we listened to music. I remember turning the channel once or twice when she was disturbed by a story, but mostly we just talked about stuff. She's pretty hooked now - she just got her own radio show on her college's student radio station and dreams of interning on WAMU next year, and eventually for This American Life in NYC.... smile.gif

That's so cool!  I wish I was that This American Life guy.  What a fun job that would be!  My ex-step-MIL (dh's dad's ex, lol) does bits for Marketplace.  I heard a story of hers the other day  --  something about an energy bar company in kenya doing something for hunger relief  -- and it was like having her in the car with us, very odd.  And I was so jealous!

I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one who's kids listen.  I don't think I'd be okay with them seeing/hearing just any old news, but I trust NPR, even if the topic is dicey.  I haven't seen TV news in years, but I have a feeling that would be over the top.  Anyhow, I think I'll continue to turn the station when kids from school are in the car.  Even if other parents are okay with it in the abstract, they might feel like they'd want to know if their kid heard something outside of their comfort zone.  

I'm gonna have to go check out RadioLab online.  I don't think we get that in san diego.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#25 of 82 Old 10-05-2011, 09:58 AM

I must be odd b/c NPR bores me - I need good music, or funny radio talk shows while I'm driving or cleaning.  Really, I listen to my ipod or Pandora more than local radio stations.  I don't fit the demographic, though, so there ya go.

However, my mom always listened to NPR when I was a kid, and I would say that it was fine to hear what they had to say, just that it was boring to me, then, too.  :o  So, I definitely wouldn't say having it on with kids around is going to leave them more rounded or mean they will enjoy listening to it then or later on as an adult.  But depending on what is being discussed, it's probably fine - either it will be interesting or it will go over their head, I'm thinking.  If a kid complains, though, I'd say put on some music or something of their choice, just b/c it seems unfair to force them to listen to something they don't want to for the short periods of time they are stuck in the car.  Maybe it's just me, but I have plenty of opportunity to listen to what I want at home or in the car when my kids aren't around (but they are also all in school full-time, so I get that it's different when they are all little). 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#26 of 82 Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 AM

I love NPR and have listened to it almost exclusively in the car since I was about 20! 

DD refers to it as "mommy music" and pretty quickly insists I turn on some kid music-- generally an album on the IPOD.  I'm pretty compliant in this regard as I enjoy the kid music and like singing along with her. 

I am very strict with DD's exposure to violence and she's a sensitive kid and feels tends to get scared about anything involving death.  She has NEVER seen tv news or anything on broadcast tv.  That said, we talk about political and social issues (like homelessness recently, for example) and talk about why it's important to know about what's happening, to care about what's happening and to take action.  These political and social issues generally come up from some book we are reading. 

I think she tunes NPR out.  It takes attention and energy to focus on the material being presented.

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#27 of 82 Old 10-05-2011, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I absolutely adore NPR and listened to it faithfully even when the kids were small. I pop back on a CD, though, if they are talking war, torture or the Middle East. But basic news, book reviews, environmental stuff? Bring it on!
#28 of 82 Old 10-05-2011, 10:19 AM

No kids here, yet, but I do listen to NPR, usually as background noise at work. I see no reason that kids of any age shouldn't listen to NPR...as another poster mentioned, they are not seeing images like they would be on TV. Anything not age appropriate will most likely slip right over their heads, and once they are asking questions about topics, they're old enough to get answers on them. A large part of my feelings on this come down to the fact that I was a very smart but very sheltered child...I knew about things that were happening but couldn't ever get explanations about them. I don't intend on raising my children that way.

Also, most music you could be listening to instead is just gross...at least NPR is educational.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#29 of 82 Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post

That's so cool!  I wish I was that This American Life guy. .

I ♥ Ira Glass. He is at the top of my list for people to marry if DH wasnt in the picture smile.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#30 of 82 Old 10-05-2011, 11:23 AM

My three year old has NPR on in his bedroom nearly 24/7.  They play classical music at night, and the radio doesn't get shut off.  He will lay on his bed and listen to A Prairie Home Companion and Car Talk.  He comes and tells me the weather report for the day.  He's heard somethings I'm sure he "shouldn't" but I don't keep my kids in a bubble.  Life is out there, it isn't always pleasant, and there are much healthier ways to deal with that than pretending it doesn't exist, IMO.  I understand why some parents do it, it's just not how I want to parent.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page