Really useful hobbies - what's out there? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I also seriously suggest forms of Karate.  Every kid that I knew growing up that was involved with a form of martial arts had a higher self esteem.  Its an outlet for natural aggression while teaching self respect, self control, and respect. 

Also, if they can break a board with their hand, I'm sure knocking a Zombie's head off wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 08:44 PM

A couple individual sports that can be played throughout life are golf and tennis. I wish I'd learned both when I was young, particularly tennis. They're also great ways to meet people.  What about some sort of fishing since he likes the water? Fly fishing is supposed to be very meditative, and you get the added hobby of tying your own flies.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 11-12-2011, 06:54 AM

I think you might be over-thinking this... What about something like scouts or day camp, that would expose him to lots of different activities, so he can start to get a feel for what he is interested in? I think focusing in on specific activities at an early age can be overly narrow, & make it harder to try other activities because there just isn't time for it. I also think some kids will rebel against whatever their parents pushed on them, I know I was like that as a kid (even though I was very agreeable and well-behaved and all...) I'd try to approach this in more of a "Renaissance Man" way -- learn just a little about a wide variety of things, and then when he is a bit older he will know what he's most drawn to, and will also have some wide exposure to fall back on should his first choices in hobbies fail for whatever reason (not transportable, broken bones, etc.)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 11-14-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

I think you might be over-thinking this...

That's the point! Why have a thread on MDC if I weren't into overthinking my parenting?

Seriously, my child is extremely sensitive, conservative and cautious of any novelty. He will do stuff that is introduced early, and done consistently, and done for a long time. "Hey, try this out, it's fun!"? No way. He'll just hang back and say no, and I do not expect this to change. I am getting quite good at finding out what he is going to eventually love (right now he really loves swim class and and violin, the former I insist on, the latter he's been wanting to learn for years) but it will not happen without my prodding and enabling and occasionally, enforcing. Same for, uh, outdoor exercise, any transition throughout the day, right down to eating and sleeping...I am not kidding. There is a reason I spend a lot of my mental energy on what I need to make him do, day in and day out, for him to be healthy and happy. So far, he is not very good at finding this out for himself.

Edited to add that I think the Scouting suggestion is interesting and useful, though maybe at a later age.

MeDH DS1 10/06 DD 08/10 DS2 10/12with SB and
Old 11-14-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunch View Post

A couple individual sports that can be played throughout life are golf and tennis. I wish I'd learned both when I was young, particularly tennis. They're also great ways to meet people.  What about some sort of fishing since he likes the water? Fly fishing is supposed to be very meditative, and you get the added hobby of tying your own flies.

All very true, but do any of these pass the zombie apocalypse test?

MeDH DS1 10/06 DD 08/10 DS2 10/12with SB and
Old 11-14-2011, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I imagine a good golf swing could come in handy. "If I may, young sir, for the undead gentleman on the green, might I recommend a mashie-niblick?"

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerle View Post

All very true, but do any of these pass the zombie apocalypse test?

Well, no...but really, does much that is purely for leisure contribute to said apocalypse survival?  I'd rather be blissfully ignorant of zombie carnage, somewhere peaceful--either teeing off on the 11th hole of a gorgeous golf course or lulled into relaxation by the babbling of the river.  And anyway, a 9 iron or a filet knife could make decent zombie defense weaponry...

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

User Tag List