Legal fictional shared parenting?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-04-2011, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is in the middle of a nasty divorce, she has been going thru this for 7 months

we went to court on Tuesday and my daughters lawyer said that son-in-law will agree to live with what the guardian ad litam said but he wants the paper to say "shared parenting" on the title. Daughters lawyer claims its just a title and that my daughter is still the custodial parent, they will live with her and she will have complete responsibility for boys and will make any and all decisions for boys. son-in-law will still be the non residential parent and only get visitation. He will still have to pay the same child support he is now. She said this could be a way to get son-in-law to give her what she wants if she lets him have the title BUT we know that my son-in-law does not do ANYTHING if it doesn't benefit him in some way. There has to be a loop hole, Son-in-law did not think of this, his lawyer suggested it and daughters lawyer thinks its a good thing. her lawyer called it Legal fictional shared parenting..we don't want it to be some easy access for him to get shared parenting later. It says on Internet that if you don't get shared parenting the first time its very hard to get it, if ever. But the concern is always there.

wondering if you had heard of this? I can't find anything about it on Internet, I have found the meaning of Legal Fiction but cant find anything associating it to shared parenting. The trial is not until Jan. 26th (sob) so we are screwed for Thanksgiving and Christmas cause those are his weekends and they will not make any changes before trial. That makes no sense to me everyone says oh yeah he's a jerk of a dad and does not deserve shared parenting but they leave the kids with him for half a day everyday for now, even thou they having problems
#2 of 7 Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Moving this to Parents as partners where it will get better input. :)

#3 of 7 Old 11-04-2011, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hmmm... I'd ask to see some case law on this... it might be one of those commonly done things that's really nothing to worry about. Though it does sem like a way of your daughters ex keeping the door open a crack to get shared custody later on. It sounds almost like having an interim order vs. a final order (interims can be changed anytime, final orders require a significant change to the circumstances before it can be brought before court again) I'd be very wary of agreeing to the term being included.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#4 of 7 Old 11-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Wouldn't this get more input in single parenting forum?

SAHM to DD born 12/09 
#5 of 7 Old 11-07-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamom2giz View Post

wondering if you had heard of this? I can't find anything about it on Internet, I have found the meaning of Legal Fiction but cant find anything associating it to shared parenting. The trial is not until Jan. 26th (sob) so we are screwed for Thanksgiving and Christmas cause those are his weekends and they will not make any changes before trial. That makes no sense to me everyone says oh yeah he's a jerk of a dad and does not deserve shared parenting but they leave the kids with him for half a day everyday for now, even thou they having problems

Well, thanksgiving is on a Thursday, which is not a weekend day, so your daughter should get that day, and then x-mas will be with dad.  That means that it just sets the precedent for them to switch next year (its standard to have one of those holidays each year but not both).

#6 of 7 Old 11-24-2011, 05:23 PM

The OP will not be able to read the responses to this (and probably thought her post got deleted) as this was her 1st post and you need at least 50 posts + 6 months to view Parents as Partners.

#7 of 7 Old 11-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Ah - true. Moving to Parenting. Can't think of another forum it would fit better in. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page