What parts of parenting push your comfort zone, and how far? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 11-13-2011, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

Interesting suggestion.  I get almost murderous about chewing noises and strange breathing sounds, too.  I've often wondered why such simple things annoy me so much...

Mouth breathers... I cannot abide mouth breathers. Or snoring. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#32 of 37 Old 11-16-2011, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For me it's snakes. Now luckily DS (age 7) isn't hugely into them compared to bugs but there always seems to be this traveling exotic animal show that's at EVERY free family we attend. They have snakes, big, little, rattles, etc... and I feel like I am going to die if I see one. Blah. DS is very sensitive about this... most of the time. But recently at a kid birthday party he must have told his friends and they busted out of this kid's room with all his rubber snakes. I was mostly keeping my cool.

The other one that pushes my comfort zone is the loudness. DS is an only child and although he can gab nonstop he is not that loud. In the car we sometimes drive in *gasp* silence. I guess he doesn't know any other way LOL But when we have one his friends over.... OMG. The volume makes me so on edge. It feels like we invited 6 kids over. I am such a lightweight :-(

#33 of 37 Old 11-16-2011, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, yeah - I get the snake thing. I don't really have it (probably because of early exposure to a python belonging to one of my brother's friends), but I get it. A lot of people have the same kind of visceral reaction to snakes that I have to spiders.

The loudness...yeah, I have problems with that now, too. When I was younger, and only had ds1, I could handle all kinds of noise. I once had 16 kids, mostly age 5, in my living room, jumping and screaming in "balloon heaven", and it didn't even faze me. Just thinking about that much noise now makes me want to hide...or cry.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#34 of 37 Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 PM

Oooh goodness I can so relate to a bunch of these!  Bugs yes, tho I'm trying hard to over come my fears, sometimes I can't.  DD went to hand me something the other day and I put my hand out and it was a freaking damp spider!  I was like OMG OMG in my head but gently put it down before telling her he belonged outside.  She wouldn't go for it and insisted on keeping him in a jar for a little while.  

My big thing is water - I don't like bodies of water, the ocean, lakes, etc.  Irrational fear of idk, drowning?  Not really tho.  I just see events unfolding.  Kids falling in.  Me having to dive in.  I mentally plan how i'd save her if she fell in, and it just really freaks me out.  She, however, loves water.  So...I try to just ignore my senses and go for it.  By our house is a river with floating docks that I just cannot bring myself to walk on.  She really wants me to, but I can't.  I just cannot.  She begs me and tells me we won't fall in, but I can't overcome the darn fear!! But I'm working on it!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#35 of 37 Old 11-17-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

My big thing is water - I don't like bodies of water, the ocean, lakes, etc.  Irrational fear of idk, drowning?  Not really tho.  I just see events unfolding.  Kids falling in.  Me having to dive in.  I mentally plan how i'd save her if she fell in, and it just really freaks me out.  She, however, loves water.  So...I try to just ignore my senses and go for it.  By our house is a river with floating docks that I just cannot bring myself to walk on.  She really wants me to, but I can't.  I just cannot.  She begs me and tells me we won't fall in, but I can't overcome the darn fear!! But I'm working on it!

I don't mind water, but I have this problem with escalators!!  OMG I hate them so much.  They TERRIFY me (I commute daily with DS and all the metro stations have escalators instead of stairs - if they had stairs I would use those instead!).

#36 of 37 Old 11-17-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

I don't mind water, but I have this problem with escalators!!  OMG I hate them so much.  They TERRIFY me (I commute daily with DS and all the metro stations have escalators instead of stairs - if they had stairs I would use those instead!).

For me it's elevators. I was out somewhere with a friend and DS went up the elevator with her while I took the stairs lol. I think that was one of only maybe 5 times DS has ever been on an elevator.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#37 of 37 Old 11-21-2011, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For me, it's play dates, being at the park with my kids, and interviewing potential babysitters. I'm really shy and my dd isn't. She talks to everyone when we're at the park and I don't know what to say to parents. It's so awkward. Also, I'm having to check references, and phone calls are a challenge. I get so nervous.

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page