Help me brainstorm anyone? Pregnant mama with a 2 y/o and no car 5days a week - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 12-03-2011, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, some ideas:

there are washable markers and crayons and finger paint that comes off pretty easy when it strays from the paper. If you don't notice it right away, it can need a little baking soda to help it off, but that is all.

Our DS REALLY loves to:

help me cook- usually I let him pour the stuff in, sometimes he holds a knife handle while I chop, he likes to stir... sometimes I give him his own flour/water or beans/rice etc to mess with- he sits on the counter by me while we do this

finger paint- we give him the paint in smaller squeeze containers and let him go to work- this entertains him for LONG times

pour beans/lentils/rice into different containers

play with water in its many different forms

listen to music/change music/dance to music

roll around the house on a radioflyer (kind of like a trike with no wheels)

play with boxes (climb in and out, stack, put toys into)

play with rocks we have in planters around the house (move from one to the other, put in boxes, put in potties, carry in his chin, or push around on the radioflyer)

water the plants

help sweep

clean the bathroom! (important to use non-toxic cleaners! mostly vinegar spray bottle, baking soda in a powder bottle)

read books- not just kids books but also books from the clearance section of the adults area with good pics- art books, fish id books, animals books, coffee table type books you can get for cheap

copy how we skip- i copy him, he copies me, etc for some reason this is a big giggle time

In general we try to play with him, but not for him: play that is just you entertaining him is the least use to her, and just a replacement for the TV. Play that is about learning what we do (cleaning, cooking, building, making stuff to sell, dancing, etc) is both learning and playing, not just entertaining/passing the time. Play that is connection for the two of you is never boring to either of you and makes the whole at home with a toddler life pretty fun.

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

#32 of 33 Old 12-05-2011, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a sandbox in the basement which is the best when my boys (2 and 4) need to zone out .I also have a shallow bin (for underb storage)of rice in my kitchen that occupies them for some time-it is a big cleanup though lol! Scissors and cutting scraps are a favorite for my 4yo.
#33 of 33 Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

what i noticed at 2 is all the crafts are meant for older kids. colouring and everything because it all stems from the wrist movement.

so what i did was find a tabletop on trash day out. 6ft by 3 ft. i got newsprinter uber cheap from our local newspaper. i set the table top up carefully and that became our easel and dd with her butterfly wings on could use a bunch of mediums to paint. sponges, brushes, her fingers, a piece of cloth. she loved that. and never ever has painted on the walls or door or anywhere.

i would put newsprint down and cover the floor (no carpet) and dd would paint with her feet. the more messy the more she loved it.

dd was never into toys or puzzles or craft. she loved my tupperwear drawer. rocks, stones, sticks.

the tv was for me. we'd do tv once in a while. meaning dvds. so it was never really a problem.

looking back i dont know how we passed the time, but somehow during winter we always found something to do at home. do u have a map? map was in fact one of dd's first words. we spent a lot of time in front of the map.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page