Help me brainstorm anyone? Pregnant mama with a 2 y/o and no car 5days a week - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 11-21-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I feel I am at a loss of WHAT to do all day long! TV is becoming the prominent source of entertainment these days...and I don't think it's good for DD. She is now naming characters and freaking out if the TV is off. She wants to watch it the minute she wakes up!

We have no yard, no ability to walk places, and we only get the car 2/3 days a week. Those days I try to make the most of but we also have to use them for running errands and thing like that.

We have lots of toys which DD used to play with all the time, but she seems to get bored easily. I put out 7 puzzles and mix all the pieces up and she's done with them in about 5 mins...

Coloring isn't going too well b/c she ends up hiding a crayon somewhere and wreaking havoc on the walls when I am in the bathroom or something.

She loves blocks and we can build for about 20 mins before she looses interest in that.

DH works full time and is in school full time. He is out of the house from 7am-10pm most days as well...

Any ideas for activities? She has never been interested in crafts is there a way to make them more interesting to her?

Also anyone done any pre-school homeschooling? Is there some sort of "curriculum" I could order?

TY!!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#2 of 33 Old 11-21-2011, 11:59 AM

Check out some John Holt, the man is a amazing x :)

I promise not to set your words in stone as I realise change is the key to our throne.

#3 of 33 Old 11-21-2011, 12:04 PM

I have a very similar situation: car one day a week, 3 year old, and now an infant. It can be tough. We do have a yard, though. That makes it easier for me.

DS1 helps me with the work around the home. He seems to be more interested in doing that than in playing, most of the time. He has his own little set of gardening tools, indoor tools, and cleaning supplies, and workspaces. He does much better with a more structured parent-led schedule/rhythm and no TV.

For a while in early preganancy we allowed limited video watching through netflix, but even that proved too much. It was very, very difficult to get him to wind down and detach from it. Now, we have family "movie" night once or twice a month and that is it. He seems unable to handle viewing even in small doses.

DS1 does not nap anymore. I have siesta time scheduled each day (after lunch and outdoor play or a walk). I have found that audio books are a lifesaver for those times when I need 15-30 minutes to breath and sit with my own thoughts or read something more adult. DS now has a little old cd/radio/tape player. We burn audio stories to cd and he can select one and listen to it on his own. We also have storynory podcasts through iTunes set up. In fact, we are listening to Swan Lake, right now. 

I also have accepted help one morning a week for three hours. My MIL comes to visit with DSs and I speed clean, read, shower, walk, play with the dog; whatever I need to do. Do you have anyone close by for that kind of thing? I would not want the boys to be away from me but having the lovingly cared for while remaining close by has turned out to be very nice.

We have "school" time each day, including activities from http://www.first-school.ws/INDEX.HTM. We looked into Oak Meadow's preschool materials, but I have found a good rythym on our own, for now.

DS1 now enjoys doing crafts with me and we have set up a sideboard with all of his school things; sensory bins and bags, craft supplies, and art materials. He selects what he wants at will with the only guidelines being that he use/ do one thing at a time, and puts the materials away (to the best of his ability) before moving on to the next thing.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#4 of 33 Old 11-21-2011, 12:17 PM

Read to her.

Look at pictures together.

Have her fill a basket with items that are all one color or one shape.

Dress up clothes

Fill a container with rice, beans or sand- bury toys, pour from one container to the other

Sort groups of objects by color or shape

Finger paint or play with shaving foam

Play dough

Lacing cards or stringing large beads/spools

Play music and dance

Bubbles

Play in the bathtub with a spray bottle or sponges

musical instruments or bang on pots and pans

roll a ball back and forward

tear or cut paper

record voice and play back

throw bean bags into a box or bucket

draw with chalk on a chalkboard

pretend to be animals

sing together

Call a grandparent or dad.

Have a tea party with stuffed animals

play with fabric or scarves

Hopefully that gave you some ideas. I think you need to expect that her attention span for an activity will be short and she will not entertain herself much. I think that is being a 2 year old.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#5 of 33 Old 11-21-2011, 04:06 PM

Rotate her toys.  Put a bunch away.  When the ones currently out have become "boring" put them away and bring out the other ones.

A colouring alternative that can't result in drawn-on walls is Aquadoodle.

Could dh possibly carpool with someone else?  On the days he finishes earlier could you drive him to work and pick him up afterwards (so that you get the car for the day)?

Do you have any friends that could come to your house for a visit?

Give her a bath in the middle of the day.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#6 of 33 Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 AM

Love all the suggestions! Finger paint is also really fun, you can make shapes with sponges and use those too (we put a huge plastic table cloth down on the ground and have the kids do that on our balcony) Stamps are great too - maybe your little one would like doing a craft that gives such instant results? Is she an "older" 2 or "younger" 2? Some 2 year olds can get into the game Memory. Reading books, and "I Spy" are staples at our house (4 1/2 yr old and 2 1/2 yr old). Making cookies and allowing her to dump the ingredients in and have a turn at stirring or placing a chair/stool you feel comfortable with at the sink and letting her wash all the unbreakable dishes while you're working in the kitchen or resting nearby. OnlyZombieCat - has a great point to do grouping activities.

A good book is "Preschool Readiness" by Mary Ellen Quint - tons of super simple activities (actual activities - not only crafts) to do with 2-6 yr olds all with stuff you probably have at home or have easy access to.

It's really hard being pregnant with an active 2 year old, especially if you can't get outside with said 2 yr old - I really feel for you. May you have the grace and strength you need each day. You're doing a great job.

#7 of 33 Old 11-22-2011, 03:30 AM

Would it be possible to drop your dh off at work and pick him up later? At least you could go to the park or a playground...

#8 of 33 Old 11-22-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

The 2 days I have the car are when he carpools :( otherwise I wouldn't have it at all.

She does love to cook and we cook every meal together plus our snacks and what not! We do everything from scratch and she dumps all the measuring cups for me and "stirs" as well. She's also the salt and pepper shaker <3 She gets overly zealous when cooking on top of the stove though and it makes me nervous she will burn herself. Any tips on that?

She is 25 m/o so she just turned 2. She is not yet incredibly verbal but she is smart. She is all about letters and knows them all by name. She can spell just about any word she sees as well. I didn't influence her into that she just came out of nowhere with it LOL

I'm going to go to the $1 store today and see what I can get for activities b/c we don't have much of the materials for the suggestions. I WANT an aquadoodle for her but DH said they cost too much :( Maybe I can convince him. We have a really tight budget with DH being in school. (there's a thread on that LOL)

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#9 of 33 Old 11-22-2011, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the tips BTW! Keep them coming :)

What about limiting the TV any tips with that? I was thinking of sewing a TV cover out of an old sheet and painting a picture on it or something LOL Out of sight out of mind?

Bearsmom likes this.

#10 of 33 Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 AM

I think your idea of hiding the TV is a good one.  I felt like my 24 month old was spending too much time watching movies on her little DVD player.  I originally allowed her free reign because she only wanted to watch Potty Power over and over again, and I figured it was good motivation.  I decided to hide her DVD player and movies about a month ago and she hardly seemed to notice.  She has only asked to watch a movie once or twice since then, and if I say, "okay, how about after we read this book" she usually has forgotten by the time we finish the book.  So distraction, as well as 'out of sight, out of mind' seem to work very well for us.  

Good luck!

#11 of 33 Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 AM

My DD loves to help around the house and often needs some direction for her play. 

She enjoys her play kitchen--I made her several food items out of ecofelt (synthetic, but inexpensive)

She loves wet on wet watercolor painting

Singing

Dancing

She loves stickers--I got a book of them (about 400 stickers for I think $6) at Target.  I encourage her to put them on paper or on our sliding glass door.

Going for walks--even just on sidewalks and not anywhere in particular is fun for my DD

May try doing some yoga with her

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#12 of 33 Old 11-22-2011, 10:37 AM

We are in a similar situation right now. Playdates. Invite folks over for her to play with. DD is so much more well behaved after she has gotten all of her energy out with another little kiddo. Plus, she always sleeps like a rock that night smile.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#13 of 33 Old 11-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Corn starch has many things you can do for entertainment.

Baking Soda.

http://preschoolalphabet.blogspot.com/2011/07/volcano.html

Coffee filters and markers, then spray the coffee filter with a water mist, and watch the colors spread... notice how many colors it takes to make black.

http://pinterest.com/pin/280749203/

http://pinterest.com/danniellebyrd/kid-stuff/

http://pinterest.com/kimdharris/daycare/

#14 of 33 Old 11-22-2011, 11:25 AM

TV tip, bin it ;) 

Mommel likes this.

I promise not to set your words in stone as I realise change is the key to our throne.

#15 of 33 Old 11-22-2011, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Bath time with lots of bath toys can be fun.  I used to read while my dd played in the tub.  Shaving cream in the bathtub is also a lot of fun and it gets the tub clean.  If you don't have animals it can be fun to do messy exploration in a big flat tupperware with things like oatmeal, flour, corn starch and water mixed in equal parts, soapy bubbles, etc...  That requires clean up though and may not be good if you don't have a lot of energy. 

A walk around the block with no purpose in mind can be fun.  We used to bring a bucket to collect leaves and such.  Riding a tricycle in the driveway or on sidewalks may work depending on your location and weather.  Sidewalk chalk is a lot of fun and comes off easily, it can also be kept outside or collected completely while outside.

If you have a bus system then investing in a bus pass may open up a lot more possibilities.  Our bus system isn't very nice, but it gave me and my dd a lot more freedom.

#16 of 33 Old 11-22-2011, 11:45 AM

My son understands that things "run out of power."  (We don't replace batteries in things very often!)  This has been helpful with the fridge because we can tell him he needs to close the door quickly or the fridge will run out of power... maybe a similar concept would help you with limiting TV?

#17 of 33 Old 11-22-2011, 11:58 AM

When my ds was 2 we got into a rut of watching too much tv.  He became totally obsessed with it and spent (seemingly) every non-tv-watching minute begging for it and tantrumming.  What we did was to get rid of tv all together.  Limited tv just was. not. working.  We put it away for many months, and only then started bringing it out for infrequent family movie nights (1-2x a month).

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#18 of 33 Old 11-22-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

We don't have sidewalks but when the other tenants are at work we utilize the drive way as much as possible. It's getting cold which doesn't bother me much but DD will run around 5 mins then begs to go in...

I got a few things today to try and help. I'm going to try and make that TV cover. :)

#19 of 33 Old 11-22-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

We don't have sidewalks but when the other tenants are at work we utilize the drive way as much as possible. It's getting cold which doesn't bother me much but DD will run around 5 mins then begs to go in...

Sounds like she could use a combo of some serious bundling-up, and some cool stuff to play with out there, or cool games to play.

Some ideas:

You could teach her games like "mother may i" (check at your library for books about kids games, or online for similar games).

You could draw hopscotch with sidewalk chalk.

You could let her draw with sidewalk chalk.

You could get blow bubbles.

You could play a variety of ball games.

You could let her ride her tricycle or ride-on toy around.

#20 of 33 Old 11-22-2011, 06:50 PM

Just wanted to chime in and send good vibes.

A previous poster mentioned rotating toys, and if you're not already doing so, this is EXTREMELY helpful.  Especially for 'favorite' toys, hide them away a bring them back out in a couple of weeks and you'll be surprised how exciting they are again!

#21 of 33 Old 11-23-2011, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This morning DD 2.5 is having a blast using her scissors to snip open about twenty packets of dollar store koolaid into a giant plastic lid.  Cost: $1.  I was going to use the koolaid to dye scarves with but this is more rewarding.  She says she is making a "Christmas."

Water play is always a hit, as are watercolors.  have a big palete of cake watercolors that she uses, and also mix tub water colors in old baby food jars for wet-on-wet which is particularly gratifying for toddlers.  She paints on anything - sticks we brought into the house, scrap papers. 

She helps me with all the house chores, and I agree with a pp that this seems to satisfy her more than anything.

Do you know anyone who could come to your house for a playdate or pick you up?  Your siggy says you are born again .  Do you have a church or group you are affliated with?  I remember in high school, in our church, lots of people gave others rides and no one seemed to mind.  Even now, among my mostly-non-religious friends no one minds giving me an occasional ride some place.  We just take the carseat out of the car at the beginning of the week so that I have it.  I am also able to take the bus and walk places but it sounds like it is not the case for you?

#22 of 33 Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Actually my church just basically kicked me out for nursing DD in the nursery...it's a LONG story greensad.gif But I may have found a new church and I am hoping to meet other like minded mamas!

I don't really have anyone for play dates....Even my nearest LLL friend is like 40 mins away...my family and majority of my friends are like 1hr + (we left that area a few years ago for college and what not)

I'm also a younger mom and well it's getting easier now that I'm getting a bit older but most moms I know from LLL or anywhere else around here are like 30 or 40 which doesn't bother me b/c I have the same views as them on most things. I mean I get invited to things when everyone else is but never one on one and I'm assuming it's the age difference...

We don not have a bus! UGH. We moved here b/c it is so oober cheap but I also had a car when we moved...but we just couldn't afford it anymore with my unemployment gone and with DH in school full time...

#23 of 33 Old 11-23-2011, 10:47 PM

Have you seen the Play at Home Mom website?  Lots of fun cool ideas.  Some cost money, but others don't.  I made playdough with my two year old son, which was loads of fun.  Here is the link:  http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/.  I actually have done very few of them, but still find them inspirational.

I just bought my two year old scissors and paste.  With major supervision, he was so excited about cutting paper and putting paste on paper.  He had very little interest in actually putting something on the paste, lol.  He also isn't too interested in creative outlets, but is very interested in motor skills.

That is rough that you can't get out for a walk.  That is a lifesaver for us.  Have you put her in your kitchen sink with a bunch of bubbles?  This is one of my son's favorite activities.  Bubbles, a few cups, and he is happy for a long time.  I also just take out whatever kitchen things he is interested in and let him play.  Today, it was popcorn.  He had a blast scooping and pouring, especially when I added water.  I just put a large plastic tarp on the floor for easy cleanup.

Other thoughts:

Songs with movement - London Bridges, Here we Go Round the Mulberry Bush.

We are a mostly TV free family, but I am very lucky and have lots of help from my "village" in this.  I hope that your new church is more supportive.  That is the best thing about churches!  Good luck!

#24 of 33 Old 11-24-2011, 09:52 AM

My kids are 5, 4, and 2.  hide and seek is a daily favourite here - we literally play every non-school morning.  If you have a space where you aren't worried about breakables, tag is also fun.  (we do it inside the house too)

As for t.v. - I let my kids watch tv every day.  They are allowed to pick one movie to watch at snack time.  I have my coffee, get started on the daily chores, and we're done for the day.  I blame it all on the "rule"- tv only at snack time.  Otherwise it's not allowed to be on.  If you want to seriously limit it, I would just unplug or something - the tv doesn't work anymore.  Have your child attempt to turn it on too, the "broken" tv would work better with my kids than hiding it.  Even my two year old would know something is under the sheet.

Best of luck.  I'm a SAHM too, and agree it can get monotonous

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

#25 of 33 Old 11-25-2011, 08:19 AM

Great thread! And lots of hugs OP. Water balloons have been a huge hit for us lately, even when it's cold out. We also got paint brushes and paint things like the sidewalk with water. Spray bottles have been a huge hit as well. We also have dancing time at least once a day. DS likes techno a lot, lol. Tying the string on a balloon filled with air to something up high so we can bat it around. Propping a board or something on the couch and rolling things down it. I'll think on it some more.

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#26 of 33 Old 11-25-2011, 01:59 PM

Has anyone suggest having a dance party?  Put on some lively music and dance around!

And an alternative to tv: audio books.

#27 of 33 Old 11-26-2011, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

Made the TV cover and have been TV free for 2 days! It's going well although I feel like I can't breathe sometimes b/c DD is all over me all day long but she's also teething right now.

I have to go through her toys for x-mas anyway and I will put some good ones away too. I asked for creative things for her from family including an aquadoodle. I bought all fun things we can do together and that will really entertain  her.

I haven't noticed behavior changes yet, she's actually been having more fits but we also have been busy with the holiday and all....

She has been asking to watch Caillou over and over and over again, I have just been distracting her.

DH is not fully on board with me here since he is such a TV-a-holic as is his entire family....MIL even got into a debate with me recently about violent tv not affecting children...so I'm sort of at this alone a my family thought I was a nut for limiting before and for being very specific about what she watches (no disney or pixar besides Tinkerbell) and PBS only but not the late afternoon cartoons b/c I find then too violent (word girl and what not)

Hopefully it will get even easier as time goes by. I am worried about how I will be able to give her my full attention like how I have been when the baby comes...she will be about 32 m/o then.

#28 of 33 Old 11-26-2011, 04:55 PM

When we went tv-free we had a good 3 days of serious de-tox increased tantrums.  Then it got better.  A week after it was put away the kids stopped asking altogether.  I did have to make a huge effort to have lots of other distracting activities for them.  I worked my butt off for a week keeping them occupied, but even by the end of that week they were so much better about entertaining themselves.  At that point ds was the same age as your dd and my dd was in school all day, so I had a similar scene as you're dealing with (alone with a 2yo and no tv!).  I feel your pain.  All I can do is relate our experience (positive!), and hope (expect?) that it will be the same for you.  Good luck!

#29 of 33 Old 12-03-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Thanks so much for the tips BTW! Keep them coming :)

What about limiting the TV any tips with that? I was thinking of sewing a TV cover out of an old sheet and painting a picture on it or something LOL Out of sight out of mind?

What about selling your TV? Is it really so important to have around?

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

#30 of 33 Old 12-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrabbitfly View Post

What about selling your TV? Is it really so important to have around?

oops- just read your subsequent post about the family TV-aholics....

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page