Anyone remember this christmas children's book? I can't find it anywhere! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-03-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A little polar bear really wanted to help santa so he went to get a rainbow. When he came back with the rainbow, he slipped on some ice and it broke.  He was so sad and thought he ruined everything, but then he and santa decorated the christmas tree with pieces of the broken rainbow.  

this was one of my favorites from childhood and I would love to share it with my son.  If anybody knows the title or author, please post!

THANKS!!!

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#2 of 6 Old 12-08-2011, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

"The Lights on the Christmas Tree" by Florence Page Jaques. It's also in the Little Golden Book "My Christmas Treasury" by Gale Wiersum, copyright 1976.

#3 of 6 Old 12-08-2011, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thank you sooo much!!!!!  That makes my christmas :)

How on earth did you find that?

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#4 of 6 Old 12-08-2011, 03:37 PM

Easy; I just walked down the hall to the bookcase with my old kids' books in it. :)

Actually, a friend posted on Twitter that he was looking for a story from his childhood and in his search had found someone else looking for the same one, and he linked to your post. I recognized the story immediately and only had to go find which book it was in to get the details for both of you.

The Golden Book is a compilation; I just now noticed the acknowledgments page with the original source: from "The Christmas Book" copyright 1954 Whitman Publishing Co.  Reprinted by permission of The Nature Conservancy. 

#5 of 6 Old 03-27-2012, 10:14 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I had this book as a kid and loved the polar bear story, and now that I have kids of my own, I've been driving myself insane for the last year and a half trying to find it.  I am so glad that (a) someone else was looking too, (b) you knew the title!, and (c) I happened to resume my search tonight for the book.  I had given up several months ago, but I see that these posts are recent.  Thank you!  :o)

#6 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 AM

http://www.etsy.com/listing/83892471/the-christmas-book-vintage-1954

If you are still looking as we get closer to the holidays- this is probably the book you originally read as a child and it includes The Lights on the Christmas Tree by Florence Page Jaques

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page