sucking out mucus? (gross) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-03-2011, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK everyone, sorry this might be disgusting for some, but I have to ask.  Has anyone sucked the mucus out of their babies noses that were too stuffed up to sleep?  I'm desperate right now, and although the idea makes me cringe, I'll do it if others tell me it actually works.  She's been up crying for two hrs and no saline drops, syringe bulbs or any of the other stuff is working.  thanks! :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 12-03-2011, 05:15 PM

Have you tried a Nose Freida? Best snot sucker ever.

Or you could try taking her into the bathroom and run a hot shower or use a humidifier.

Hope she feels better soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#3 of 9 Old 12-03-2011, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have done it.  It's gross but not that gross.  On the other hand, one time I did it and caught her cold the next day, so caveat emptor.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#4 of 9 Old 12-03-2011, 10:27 PM

You should think about something else while you're doing it!  lol  I haven't done it, but I've considered it and I think it's a good idea.  It's probably a lot nicer for the babe than if you did have one of those nose bulb sucky things.  I think the nose frida is probably the best.  I bought one during my second pg and then little guy *never* got sick.  I guess it was worth it, bc you know if I didn't have it he would have and I'd've been sucking it out with my mouth.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#5 of 9 Old 12-04-2011, 12:17 PM

Ditto on the Nose Freida.  Amazing and not too difficult for the sucker.

#6 of 9 Old 12-04-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

LOL, ok thanks everyone!  She ended up finally falling asleep and I didn't have to do it, but I'm sure there's more colds in our future.  I can't believe I haven't heard of this Nurse Freida!  Buying one today! Thanks!

#7 of 9 Old 12-04-2011, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I'm sure the nose freida is a good option, but I have also just sucked it out myself.  It doesn't even go in my mouth, I just suck and pull away and it goes on their face so I can wipe it off.  Kinda gross but useful.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#8 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Just for fun, I wanted to chime in to say that our name for the bulb syringe is a "booger baster".  Good luck.  Having a stuffed-up kid is heart-wrenching.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#9 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I actually once had the delightful luck to watch a mom suck the stringy snot out of her toddlers nose at a park.  That snot was green!  she then turned and spit it out.  It was pretty disgusting, but hey I get it.  I love telling that story to a friend of mine who almost always turns green and gags.  But I add a lot of extras to it.  Hey if your kids have vomited on you a little snot wouldn't matter.

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page