Scolded in the toy store - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 12-22-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I went to a small toy store today, that is actually quite large, but nothing like those big chain toys stores, and I was scolded repeatedly by the worker there (quite possibly she could be owner. It was just her there.) I can't figure out if I did something wrong, or if she just had a problem.

The store looks like a really large house, with "rooms" and everything, but no doors separating the rooms. Very "open concept" but with lots of medium high bookshelves (to my shoulder, I am 5'5") and its almost maze-like when you walk around. There are many over sized super comfy chairs, a train table with many trains, lots of stuffies and vines and model airplanes hanging from the ceiling, and MANY toys, none in boxes, on the floor and resting on shelves. 

I met up with a friend there specifically to do some Christmas shopping. Not to meet up and play, but to buy toys for five specific kids that I needed to buy things for. I have a 2yr old and a 16m old, she has a 18m old. All boys. The boys were beyond calm, which I didn't expect, but this worker was so upset that they were touching toys. Not playing with the toys (except for the train table, which WAS there so they could play) I looked around that particular section a bit, the boys played on the train table, I was chatting with my friend, and when I couldnt find anything, I took the boys to another section. This section had a ball on the floor. My ds2 picked up the ball while my ds1 picked up a dinosaur egg that I was intending to buy (I told him we would get him one before we went there.) 

(EDIT: ^^ I think I was thinking too fast for me to type. This paragraph sounds jumbled. I meant to say there weren't playing with the toys, just slightly touching it on the shelves/floor, then moving on to each other, or me, or their friend...)

While I was in this one spot, with my friend not too far behind, looking for things for herself and looking after her ds, this lady kept running back and forth, saying not to touch the toys, dont play with the toys, this is a STORE, not a play area, this isnt a Mommy and Me class. She said Mommy and Me three times to us, while we were infront of the dinosaur section for just a minute or two. My boys touched 1) The dinosaur egg that we were going to buy, and did buy and 2) the ball on the floor. I touched more things than they did but because I was looking for a present. 

She even offered me a stroller so they wouldn't "touch" things irked.gif which at that point the boys were hugging my legs because this stranger was using a stern voice towards us so they weren't touching a thing. 

A whole other incident happened at check out when there was a big inflatable hamster ball thing that the boys all wanted to get into. The lady said it was fine if they took off their shoes, which they did. But once they got in there, they could only read, not play. It's not THAT kind of store, she said. dizzy.gif

Now, I don't think my boys did anything wrong but do people expect toddlers to literally not touch a thing in a toy store? Or to ONLY touch the train table. 

Im just really pissed. She told me she had a table were they could touch the toys (didn't say train table) so I went to the nearest table with open toys and she pounced on us and said, "THOSE aren't touchable!" 

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#2 of 28 Old 12-22-2011, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

This is a job for Yelp. You go on Yelp and leave a review of the toy store. You mention that the person working in the store scolded your children for looking like they might play with the toys. Put everything in that you put here. 

I know, it sounds vengeful, but it would be good if other moms in your area didn't make the mistake of shopping for toys in a toy store where children aren't welcome! 

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#3 of 28 Old 12-22-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain optimism View Post

This is a job for Yelp. You go on Yelp and leave a review of the toy store. You mention that the person working in the store scolded your children for looking like they might play with the toys. Put everything in that you put here. 

I know, it sounds vengeful, but it would be good if other moms in your area didn't make the mistake of shopping for toys in a toy store where children aren't welcome! 

I did, thank you. It seems the woman is the owner and she has another negative review for this exact same behavior. 

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#4 of 28 Old 12-22-2011, 02:30 PM

Sounds like she opened the wrong type of business.  Also, if she's concerned about kids touching the toys, then maybe she should change her displays so they aren't all so low.  Kids playing with toys that parents have no intention of buying is one thing, but simply touching is another.

Youngfrankenstein likes this.
#5 of 28 Old 12-22-2011, 02:59 PM

I own a retail store. Dont put anything below hip/shoulder height if you dont want kids to touch it. There is a pretty thick line between letting kids touch things and parents who wont watch their kids and let them drag all your merchandise all over the store and ruin it. With things like toys out of boxes, stuffed animals, ect they should be up off the floor. Im not even a toy store and I have an area for stuff kids are allowed to play with, just because it means that the parents hang out longer and are more likely to buy stuff if their kids are entertained.

The shopkeep sounds like a biotch. I would write her an email explaining that her rudeness has made you unwilling to shop there and you encourage her to rearrange the store so that you can return and tell other people what a great toystore it is. Until then, you wont be back. If someone wrote me an email like that, I would really reconsider my setup. But, she sounds like she is miserable running a toystore.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 28 Old 12-22-2011, 03:20 PM

It seems absurd that children were not welcome in a TOY STORE. That behavior from the owner would keep me from ever returning, and I would have left without buying anything.

dogretro likes this.
#7 of 28 Old 12-22-2011, 03:58 PM

I would have been livid, and probably NOT nice. Who the hell opens a toy store and doesn't allow kids to touch them? I would have brought everything up to the register, told her this is how much money she just lost, and left.

dogretro likes this.

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#8 of 28 Old 12-22-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbsmama View Post

I would have been livid, and probably NOT nice. Who the hell opens a toy store and doesn't allow kids to touch them? I would have brought everything up to the register, told her this is how much money she just lost, and left.

yeahthat.gif  If you have a problem with kids touching toys in a TOY STORE, you're in the wrong business lady! I don't appreciate anyone scolding my child, let alone me. I would've flipped out and left. I agree with another PP about writing an email telling her how you felt. She should know she will lose customers with that type of behavior. Sorry that happened to you! 

SAHM married with 2 boys (Feb 2010 & Oct 2012) 

signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg

#9 of 28 Old 12-22-2011, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I don't have any idea why she would act like that in a TOY store, and why on earth you would actually buy anything from her after she treated you and your kids that way!

dogretro likes this.
#10 of 28 Old 12-22-2011, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I own a retail store. Dont put anything below hip/shoulder height if you dont want kids to touch it. There is a pretty thick line between letting kids touch things and parents who wont watch their kids and let them drag all your merchandise all over the store and ruin it. With things like toys out of boxes, stuffed animals, ect they should be up off the floor. Im not even a toy store and I have an area for stuff kids are allowed to play with, just because it means that the parents hang out longer and are more likely to buy stuff if their kids are entertained.
The shopkeep sounds like a biotch. I would write her an email explaining that her rudeness has made you unwilling to shop there and you encourage her to rearrange the store so that you can return and tell other people what a great toystore it is. Until then, you wont be back. If someone wrote me an email like that, I would really reconsider my setup. But, she sounds like she is miserable running a toystore.

I will, thank you for the idea! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbsmama View Post

I was actually just shocked speechless and it wasnt until after I paid for things and left that I felt really angry. I  WISH that I would have done this ^

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#11 of 28 Old 12-22-2011, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

well mama i would look at the whole big picture. 

i am assuming this toy store has been in business a while? a few months? they didnt just open up. i assume they know what they are doing. in fact in the local toy shops i see nothing that is as high as adult waist level.

i would give the toy store the benefit of the doubt. 

i am sorry. i know you are pissed off. what she did wasnt right. but we all have been biotches havent we? we've yelled at the wrong person multiple times havent we when we have been stressed out.

this is the season for this exact situation to play out. 

i am sure working at a toy store at this time of the season is the biggest nightmare even for someone like me if it was my job to keep things in place. 

who knows what's up ya know?!!! store teethering on the side of closing down? worker just found out her friend has cancer? she was given her lay off day? or store bombarded by the exact kind of mom and kids you were NOT, who touched and moved and dragged everything but bought nothing. 

i want you to know that i hear you. you have every reason to be pissed off. 

but in today's world where the majority of 99% is living so close to the edge i would give them a second chance. i would vent and get it off my chest like you are doing here but that is as far as i would go. i would go back later and find out if this was regular customer service or it was one of those very bad moments. 

who knows. she might be writing on a board somewhere feeling terrible for yelling at someone who did not deserve it. i know what it feels like. the worst part for me has been that i yelled at the nicest person i have ever met who definitely didnt deserve to hear that tone of voice from me. 

i have discovered every. single. time. i have acted in anger i have acted in ways i have been ashamed of afterwards. i try my level best never to act out in anger - even if my anger was reasonable. politely demanding my rights have always gotten me what i need. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#12 of 28 Old 12-23-2011, 12:31 AM

There's a toy store like that in my town. I don't shop there anymore and told them why, too!

I love to support smaller, independent retailers (my sister and brother-in-law are small business owners so I'm passionate about this!). However, I don't expect to be told off in a toy store when my small child just touches something (not pulls it off the shelf, doesn't put it in his mouth, just pokes it gently). Thankfully, there's another small independent toy store in my town and we go there.

Good that you left them a negative review. Hopefully they'll get the message!

#13 of 28 Old 12-23-2011, 06:59 AM

We shop at lots of local toys stores locally and where my parents live and I've NEVER seen behavior like that. Sometimes I think dd is being too touchy-feely with stuff, and the clerks almost always go out of their way to tell me it's fine for her to touch things! Honestly, letting the kids gently handle stuff is good for business--I can't tell you how many times grandma has purchased a toy b/c dd picked it up and seemed fascinated by it.

#14 of 28 Old 12-23-2011, 01:18 PM

I wouldn't go back.  We have a small locally owned toy store here with nice kind of upscale toys and they have some open and the point is for the kids to be able to touch and play (and tell their parents how much they want one!) and they're fine with it.  She doesn't *have* to be that way.  And I agree she might have considered a different sort of store if she was prone to being that way.  It sounds like a miserable place to go!

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#15 of 28 Old 12-23-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

I email them a long letter, questioning why they have so many toys opened and put at eye level and even on the floor. I forgot to write here that they had a "no stroller" sign out in the front, so i mentioned that in the email and wrote how i was offended that the woman offered to put my children in *her* stroller so as not to touch merchandise. I mean, I had a double stroller in my car. Oh well :) 

I guess it got me thinking, "Do I let my children touch too many things in stores?!" because they are toddlers and I am kinda young, early 20s, so I feel like I am still learning "adult" manners for myself, and then "boundaries/manners/expectations/developmentally appropriate things regarding children" all at the same time. Live and learn =D 

Anyways, thank you everybody. I needed the reassurance.

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#16 of 28 Old 12-23-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:

but in today's world where the majority of 99% is living so close to the edge i would give them a second chance. i would vent and get it off my chest like you are doing here but that is as far as i would go. i would go back later and find out if this was regular customer service or it was one of those very bad moments.

I'm not actually directing my comments to this poster, just the general idea quoted.

Really?  Are we individual people responsible for the stress level of everyone we meet?  The lady at the store did not just do one obnoxious/rude/against norms, she did many.  I think the OP did her "civic duty"/cutting this woman slack by purchasing the items she picked out.  (I would not have.)  I can't even buy into the idea that this salesperson should be given consideration because their might have been rude customers before the OP.  Seriously?  So if enough people yell/are rude to me in a day, I get to let the next person I encounter have it because of my experience before that innocent person?  I think consideration is needed very much in our society.  But there is a line between consideration and being completely walked all over. 

I'm just amazed at the idea that as poor of treatment as the OP received should be met with that much consideration on the OP's part.  Yes, everyone is one the edge these days, but can that really be an excuse for lashing out at other people?  Especially if the idea is 98% of the people are on the edge and could treat each other like that.........  Would you really want to live in that kind of society?  That is a retorical question.

OP, as presented I do not think you or your children did anything wrong.  The salesperson was stressed and the tension was an issue on her part.  You were a better person by purchasing there despite her behavior.

#17 of 28 Old 12-23-2011, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It is reasonable to expect kids to not handle stuff too much, but to not even lightly touch anything? In a toy store? Why did she open a toy store of all places? Kids can't help but touch stuff, and it leads to sales. Crazy.

#18 of 28 Old 12-23-2011, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katwoman View Post

Really?  Are we individual people responsible for the stress level of everyone we meet? 

everyone? 

I'm just amazed at the idea that as poor of treatment as the OP received should be met with that much consideration on the OP's part.  Yes, everyone is one the edge these days, but can that really be an excuse for lashing out at other people?  Especially if the idea is 98% of the people are on the edge and could treat each other like that.........  Would you really want to live in that kind of society?  That is a retorical question.

but isnt that what's happening all around you? to a large percentage of people? and yes if we all were a little bit understanding then no that kind of society would not exist.  but that is a matter of personal opinion. since this is xmas season "I" personally think rude bad behaviour is 'understandable' not OK. if this happened in may it would not be ok. so yes this time of the year "I" feel every bad behaviour deserves a second chance.  

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#19 of 28 Old 12-23-2011, 07:31 PM

If my 17 month old could read your post he'd be laughing his little bootie off. A toy store where kids can't touch the toys?  I understand if there were a group of kids being wild but little guys walking with their moms....seems like the lady needs to remove the stick, if ya' know what I mean. 

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#20 of 28 Old 12-24-2011, 08:28 AM

The music store where my kids have lessons is like that, too.  They have toys for sale: stuffed animals, music boxes, music-related doodads that attract every kid.  Once the worker was super rude to my kids for touching things-- he said he wouldn't be able to sell a stuffed animal because my dd's germy hands had been on it!!  He literally said that to a 2 1/2 year old who was just browsing calmly.  I called the owner later, who stuck up for the work, and said he didn't want kids touching anything in his store (which sold kid things).  So I told him I wouldn't shop there anymore and he said that was fine with him.  Weird.  I don't know how he thinks he's going to sell the kid doo dads when kids can't look and touch.  That's not how it works!  

So if I were you, I would take back what you bought.  Tell her you thought about her behavior toward in the store and you don't want to do business with her anymore.

#21 of 28 Old 12-24-2011, 08:38 AM

I would consider that descrimination against children (was she harrassing *you* for touching the toys as an adult?) and inform the store why I wouldn't be shopping there again.

When DD was about 5 she had saved money to buy something at the Hello Kitty Store (Sanrio).  She got her item and waited patiently to be helped.  The cashier kept helping adults instead.  Looking at her and just letting adults go first.  After buying her item, DD said her feelings were hurt and we ended up returning the item, explaining why and not shopping there again (at DD's request).  I see a lot of situations where kids aren't being held to adult standards (which is one thing) but *above* adult standards and it just ticks me off.

#22 of 28 Old 12-24-2011, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

This is actually kind of spiraling out of control via Facebook and Yelp. I left a negative review, and so did my friend who was shopping with me (she purchased something as well) and I was not familiar with Yelp and didn't know if the owner would see it so I emailed her directly from her website. My friend messaged her through Facebook to make sure she read her complaint. 

She emailed me back saying that I obviously didn't go through their "manners" section of the store (LOL! That is such a nice insult) and repeatedly called out my "bad parenting." She said almost the same thing on Yelp, which I think made only herself look bad and she replied to my friend, again defending her actions. 

The dinosaur egg was dissolve-able (is that a word?) so there is no more egg to return =\ darn it. 

What drama this has caused! 

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#23 of 28 Old 12-24-2011, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

I would consider that descrimination against children (was she harrassing *you* for touching the toys as an adult?) and inform the store why I wouldn't be shopping there again.

When DD was about 5 she had saved money to buy something at the Hello Kitty Store (Sanrio).  She got her item and waited patiently to be helped.  The cashier kept helping adults instead.  Looking at her and just letting adults go first.  After buying her item, DD said her feelings were hurt and we ended up returning the item, explaining why and not shopping there again (at DD's request).  I see a lot of situations where kids aren't being held to adult standards (which is one thing) but *above* adult standards and it just ticks me off.

Awww, that is so mature of your daughter! It makes me so sad that her feelings were hurt :(  I can just picture a five year old waiting patiently, wondering why nobody is helping her, awwwww :( 

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#24 of 28 Old 12-25-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBombMama View Post

This is actually kind of spiraling out of control via Facebook and Yelp. I left a negative review, and so did my friend who was shopping with me (she purchased something as well) and I was not familiar with Yelp and didn't know if the owner would see it so I emailed her directly from her website. My friend messaged her through Facebook to make sure she read her complaint. 

She emailed me back saying that I obviously didn't go through their "manners" section of the store (LOL! That is such a nice insult) and repeatedly called out my "bad parenting." She said almost the same thing on Yelp, which I think made only herself look bad and she replied to my friend, again defending her actions. 

The dinosaur egg was dissolve-able (is that a word?) so there is no more egg to return =\ darn it. 

What drama this has caused! 

I'm really glad you followed through.  It's unfortunate when small businesses have horrid owners--- you want to support the concept of small businesses, but you wouldn't have been harassed in a Toys R Us or a Target, kwim.  Grrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBombMama View Post

Awww, that is so mature of your daughter! It makes me so sad that her feelings were hurt :(  I can just picture a five year old waiting patiently, wondering why nobody is helping her, awwwww :( 

I was so proud of her!

I am tired of people who say that they don't make exceptions for kids, or don't treat kids special actually treating kids worse! 

#25 of 28 Old 12-25-2011, 11:09 AM

Ooh that "Mommy and Me class" comment would have PISSED me off. Srsly. Sorry that some people suck, mama.hug2.gif

caffix.gif
#26 of 28 Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 AM

I would not have bought from that store,and would do a few negative online reviews as well. It is a given that toys will be touched in a toy store.In many stores one toy will be opened so the kids/parents can try it out.

Also,it is just me I am sure but if my kid were to break something I would pay for it.Never had it happen as I warn the kids,but I would pay.

Stores selling toys should have display items that kids can touch.A table or corner where items are placed would be ideal.Write to the stores and suggest it .

It is so obvious  and yet many never think to do it in their store.It would increase business and they could chillax ,and just direct families to a display table instead of being such meanies.

#27 of 28 Old 01-01-2012, 07:18 PM

Oh my! This post brought back memories of the toy store in the community I grew up in. The owner was SO MEAN! I remember browsing the store when I was 7 or 8 years old and pulling something off the shelf - a puzzle or something in a box and the owner yelling, "DON'T TOUCH THAT!". I was terrified and never went back. For some of the braver, more rebellious kids it became like a game to see how long they could be in the store before getting yelled at. The store went out of business fairly quickly, understandably.

I could understand an owner getting pissy if your kids were chucking balls all over the store or pulling stuff out of boxes, but just touching things? How strange.

Mama to Sunshine (9/06), the Duke (4/09), and little chickadee (9/12).
#28 of 28 Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 AM

I would not be able to hold my voice! That woman needs to know she is being unreasonable...asking kids not to touch toys in a toy store! That is just silly. I agree with the Yelp comment and make sure to spread the word, we don't need negativity like that around our children.

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page