All natural and safe baby shampoo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-27-2011, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just read a news article that said Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo has trace amounts of toxic chemicals in it. Sure enough, looked at my baby's shampoo and it's in there. What are some all natural baby products I can use instead of Johnson and Johnson?

#2 of 16 Old 12-27-2011, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We're a California Baby house. =)

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
#3 of 16 Old 12-27-2011, 07:59 AM

We use California Baby scent-free "Super Sensitive" for when DD was a newborn/infant.  We switched to the "calming" scent as she got older.  And now generally use whatever natural/organic line I pick up at the coop for both myself and DD.  She never showed any redness or irritation from either. 

I've bought a bottle of California Baby scent-free "Super Sensitive" for when we have a newborn again. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#4 of 16 Old 12-28-2011, 07:36 AM

We use baking soda & apple cider vinegar. Works great!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 16 Old 12-28-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

We use baking soda & apple cider vinegar. Works great!!

That's what we do whenever we need something more than straight water. DS' hair usually gets clean just rinsing it well with water, but if it's gotten truly dirty (like after "gardening"), I break out the BS & ACV. For his body, I either use straight water (more often than not), or a little bit of castile soap. We still have friends burying their faces in his hair and telling us how wonderful that baby smell is, so I figure it is safe to say he's a stinker in attitude only.wink1.gif

#6 of 16 Old 12-29-2011, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

California Baby Super Sensitive here too....

#7 of 16 Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 PM

We have a bar of Dr Bronner's unscented that we use on hair and body when he seems a little grody. Otherwise, water works pretty well!

#8 of 16 Old 12-30-2011, 10:18 AM

For my 2yo we use California baby Calendula shampoo & conditioner.  Her body is just straight water or whatever suds drip down, lol.

My 4yo uses Dr Bronners the lavender one on her body and whatever shampoo I'm using at the moment on her hair.  

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#9 of 16 Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 AM

We also use baking soda.  I don't do the ACV on DS, but I do for myself. 

I've never used anything stronger than that on him, and only that when his hair is matted in food or vomit.  The rest of the time I just brush it daily and wet it when he takes a bath (maybe once a week). 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#10 of 16 Old 01-05-2012, 03:27 PM

I'm switching to more natural products for myself so currently I use my shampoo for DD (no conditioner) which is from Hugo Naturals.  Basically I went to the natural section of our grocery store, wrote down the names, and looked them up on the Skin Deep website:  http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/  Surprisingly some of the natural brands didn't rate that well!

#11 of 16 Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 PM

Dr. Bronner's unscented baby soap. We've used the bar in the past, but I've been putting the liquid castile soap (you can get this at Target now) in a foaming soap dispenser and it works great. Goes a long way, too.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#12 of 16 Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post

Dr. Bronner's unscented baby soap. We've used the bar in the past, but I've been putting the liquid castile soap (you can get this at Target now) in a foaming soap dispenser and it works great. Goes a long way, too.

I didn't realize you could get this at Target, that's great! I've been using California Baby because I could get it there, but it's pretty pricey.

I got some Earth Mama Angel Baby stuff for my baby shower and I love it. The lotion makes DS smell like a creamsicle! They have a deal on the FB page every Friday where they rotate having 1 of their products at half off.

ETA- you can look up most body products on this website to see how toxic they are.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#13 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 12:57 PM

California Baby or Earth Mama Angel Baby

#14 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

one of the greatest advice (at least i think) i got from one of the most horrible ped. i had (yeah we changed and this piece is his only saving grace) was why baby stuff, why soap. 

and so i rarely used any soap on dd as a baby. rarely. and if i needed to i just used my own dr. bronners. in fact i never even used baby toothpaste on her. and i never had the problem of her eating toothpaste. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#15 of 16 Old 01-14-2012, 09:30 AM

We used Therneem for DS, and it is also great for cradle cap even though it doesn't advertise as such.

#16 of 16 Old 01-14-2012, 02:21 PM

We tried all the natural baby shampoos ... and Weleda's Calendula Baby Shampoo and Wash is the absolute best.  Mild, heals excema, gentle natural scent .... I can't recommend it too highly.  It's costly, though online you can get it cheaper from Amazon, but you use a tiny, tiny amount and the tube lasts about 2 months (that's with two kids -- we're still using it on our school-aged kids).

Kids. I got two of 'em.

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page