Co-bathing siblings! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son will be 3 when our new baby is born.  He is SO EXCITED about bathing with the baby, it's really sweet.  When he was a baby I used to just bathe with him, or shower with him, or I used the wash pod bucket thing.  He liked being immersed, not just wet on his bottom like the regular baby baths do.  

I wish my tub was big enough to fit all three of us, but that will probably be pretty rare and a hard squeeze.  So I want to buy a baby bath that I can use in the tub ideally with my 3 year old too.  When the baby is older, the ring one I used for my son will work, but for a baby who can't sit up yet, are there any baby tubs that would fit in a normal size bath with some tub space left over for my son?  My son would be fine with there not being much water in the tub and spending his time painting the walls with water.  

Can you use those newborn sling things that go in a infant tub alone?  Like this:  http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=14884513&RN=7051& but just the sling part?  

This looks too big, but I like how the baby can't slip:  http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=14909478&RN=7051&

we used this with my son, but it's a bit tricky getting hair washed and not dunking the baby!  http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=17950282&RN=7051&

So was thinking maybe this:  http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=15128003&RN=7051&

and just keep my hands on the baby at all times and not fill the tub up much?

Or do I just suck it up and squeeze in there every time with them?  

And yes, I know no matter what I do I need to make sure my son isn't splashing or being silly around the baby.  He's just so excited over this part of the baby coming that I want to buy a tub with him so he feels like he has a job.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 AM

Not sure on the tubs but I loved bathing with my kids and we just recently stopped- my dd still hops in with me from  time to time.  It was one of our fav bonding times.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#3 of 13 Old 12-30-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Yea, it's some of my favorite bonding memories with my son too.  Maybe that's why he wants to bond with the baby that way!  I'm sure I'll be in the tub with the baby sometime, but for times it's just the two of them I'm trying to find something that would work for the baby but not be too big to crowd out my son.  Wondered if anyone else did that!

#4 of 13 Old 12-30-2011, 10:16 AM

I envy you all!  both of my DDs have sensory issues when it comes to water, so they're each the only one in the tub at a time... bath time is... interesting.

I think for the sling to work you'd need to always have a hand on the babe- obviously you'll always be in arms reach, but those things are slippery and babies easily fall off.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#5 of 13 Old 12-30-2011, 03:08 PM

My kids are that much apart in age.  I would always just get in the bath with them (yes it was a tight squeeze!) or bathe them separately.  I didn't really find a good solution for having them both in the bath without me until ds was old enough to sit up well.

I would probably hold off on buying any of those things until you see how the new baby likes baths.  One thing I've learned is that every baby is different about baths.  Some love being submerged and some barely tolerate occasional sponge bathing.  A lot of babies only want to go in the tub if held securely by mama or papa. 

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#6 of 13 Old 12-30-2011, 03:39 PM

I second waiting to see how the new baby does.

I hop in time to time, but there's really not enough room, plus we're still nursing and then bathtime turns into "no nakey nursing!!!" play silly time.

DS2 has dry skin so we've had to really really scale back and only bath him as needed which for a while there was like once every week or two and then smother him in lotion as soon as he got out (safe natural stuff of course)

That being said, They have such a great timSUBMITe together and DS2 is such a water baby!

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#7 of 13 Old 12-30-2011, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been bathing with ds & dd & it's just fine. I'm a plus sized mama & our tub is pretty standard sized.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#8 of 13 Old 12-30-2011, 03:54 PM

Both of my older kids have been very excited to help with the baby's bath - for the first 9ish months we just let the bigger kids help with the baby's bath - then once baby is that age he/she got to sit in the big bathtub with big bro/sis ..  that way the bigger kid(s) got both experiences, helping out with the bath and taking a bath with the baby who can play with them .. 

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#9 of 13 Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 PM

This worked great for us, it's comfortable, sinks in a bit with the baby's weight so she doesn't slide off and is easy to clean.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11495800

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#10 of 13 Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 PM

When ds2 was newborn, the boys didn't bathe together, I just never thought about doing it, but before he could sit up, I would just squat by the tub and hold him up in water that went up to my toddlers tummy.  

I have also squeezed into the tub with the both of them. It was fun for them, a little uncomfy for me, but hey, it got the job done =)

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#11 of 13 Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 AM

You will at least need to wait 4-6 weeks until the new baby has really good head control, if you're not in the tub yourself. I waited until our 2nd child (who is 3 years younger than her brother) was old enough to sit up.

Remember that your son has no idea how floppy and, um, boring a newborn is. Your children will have a lifetime to bond. It's OK to wait a couple of months for this bonding experience.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#12 of 13 Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Why do you have to wait 4-6 weeks for head control if you're using one of the sling type bathers?  We used one when traveling with my newborn last time and I didn't need to use any hands to support him from the beginning, his head just leaned back like in a bouncy seat.  I actually found it MUCH easier than co-bathing with him, even though that's what we preferred to do at home just for the bonding.  

I don't want to discount my son's desire-- he's an only child, so incredibly excited for the baby coming, and I know the bubble will burst soon enough when he realizes how much attention of ours the baby takes.  So if there's anything that excites him (right now it's bathing with the baby and reading to the baby) then I want to encourage him.  Even if that means the baby just lays in the sling for a token 30 seconds (and I quickly rinse baby with water) while my son shows him his bath toys, then baby comes out and the "big boy bath" can continue.  

#13 of 13 Old 01-03-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post

Why do you have to wait 4-6 weeks for head control if you're using one of the sling type bathers?  We used one when traveling with my newborn last time and I didn't need to use any hands to support him from the beginning, his head just leaned back like in a bouncy seat.  I actually found it MUCH easier than co-bathing with him, even though that's what we preferred to do at home just for the bonding.  

I don't want to discount my son's desire-- he's an only child, so incredibly excited for the baby coming, and I know the bubble will burst soon enough when he realizes how much attention of ours the baby takes.  So if there's anything that excites him (right now it's bathing with the baby and reading to the baby) then I want to encourage him.  Even if that means the baby just lays in the sling for a token 30 seconds (and I quickly rinse baby with water) while my son shows him his bath toys, then baby comes out and the "big boy bath" can continue.  

I misunderstood you -- I thought you wanted your baby in the tub with your son, without you, as there wouldn't be enough room.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

Tags
Parenting

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page