moms of many - how can the baby get quiet time ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-07-2012, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi there, 

my littlest is trying to sleep since more than an hour. as soon as she calms down, one of the others is storming in, usually screaming that the other one did this or that. she is crying constantly now. we have the same problem in the afternoons, kids are in childcare in the mornings. any tips?

thanks

crossposting in life with babe

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-07-2012, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Where is your LO napping? For naps, I always choose the "farthest away from the noise" room.  That meant sometimes a baby was sleeping on my bed, in a pack n play in another room, or on the floor on a blanket in another room.  We also have a white noise machine and lullabies on our Ipod that we would switch up, and we play them fairly loudly. I can always hear them in another room. I have done both during really noisy times winky.gif

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#3 of 10 Old 01-07-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

she is always with me, she won't fall asleep on her own, which is fine with me and totally the same as with the others. 

only - dd and ds want to be with ne as well ... 

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
#4 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 06:19 PM

i have the same problem...my 3 month old naps in my arms and the other kids and dogs wake her up sometimes. mine are old enough to stay in their bedrooms or another area for awhile. they just forget or start fighting with each other :o\

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#5 of 10 Old 01-10-2012, 08:46 PM

For a while, I started banning mine to the outside.

But, mostly, I just set them up with something (even a movie, if I am desperate).  Would your baby nap in a carrier?  It might be a good time of day to take the other two for a walk.  They can run off their steam, and the baby can sleep?

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#6 of 10 Old 01-11-2012, 05:39 AM

I'm in a similar boat!  dd3 usually only has an afternoon nap so I try to get her down whie the other two are eating lunch.  ths was working very well for a while but now dd3 is taking longer to  sleep and the others finish eating before she's settled and I'm left with no sleeping kids!  hugs to you; it's hard!

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#7 of 10 Old 01-11-2012, 05:50 AM

I always had the baby sleeping in "the furthest away from the noise."  And set them up to do something cool, like play dough or a (short) video, stickers, crayons, build with legos, etc. to keep busy for 30 min while I help get the baby settled.  Not always perfect, sometimes baby gets awakened, but a lot of times, they really do learn to be quiet.  Also I timed my morning errands so the baby would take morning nap in the car a lot. Even 30 min is better than none.

#8 of 10 Old 01-11-2012, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

my baby sleeps well at least half an hour in a car seat at home....even with everyone running around...eyesroll.gif

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 
#9 of 10 Old 01-11-2012, 02:53 PM

Not easily! Usually she just goes and goes until she collapses. I try to keep things quiet when she's sleeping but our house is small and any time anyone does anything in the kitchen, it wakes her up. If she's really tired, she will just sleep through it. Otherwise, she just gets her sleep at night and in the mornings before the teenagers wake up. I run the exhaust fan in the bathroom while she's sleeping for white noise.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#10 of 10 Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 AM

My 3 yo is watching PBS kids right now for this very reason.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page