Chores????? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 01-15-2012, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

you know its really interesting to me that chores are non negotiable in some of your houses.

i hate being that way with dd. 

however i have been a single mom who works part time, goes to school part time and dd understands how hard life gets if she does not help.

and so in our house just by making chores negotiable, actually has turned them non negotiable. however i have always demanded my own time and taken care of my own needs (skill to survive).

the other day while helping in the kitchen dd pointed out hey i really like doing this as i feel i am contributing to this household. 

and yeah imakcerca isnt it amazing to realise that your kids actually do more than you realize. 

somedays the conversation goes like this - mom i really dont feel like washing the dishes today. i dont know why but i just dont feel like doing it. could you do the dishes and i could put them away." most days i agree. somedays i say - i would really appreciate if you did them as i have to finish this paper and i really dont have time to do them. and then if i skip they will all pile up tomorrow. and she'll go do them. other times i say ok. i do it this way coz i remember that's how my bro and i divided up the chores when we were young. and it worked really well for us. i do the same with dd and it works for our family too. 

we've been able to do this since dd was about 5. 

i will have to gloat that i do get back scratches  <where is that swoon smilie>, lotion on my back, combing my hair - quite regularly. why? because from 4 to 5 dd watched me take care of her dying gparents. we moved in with them. and since then it brings her great pleasure in even giving me a bath.

for that reason i dont have a list. i remember how it felt when one sat around and the other person did the chores. so we usually do it together.

however if one of us has found the 'right' book, then they are excused from chores for that day or two. the other person takes the slack. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#32 of 37 Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Hey linda... rub mommies feet should be on the list... I like that one.  Hmmm... oh and brush mommies hair.  I'll add them on slowly.  Yeah I'm that bored today I made a list that lists the lists I need to make.  I even made a list of things to add to my lists...  sheesh... this room is so quiet and boring.

You clearly need to do something more interesting! Wanna come declutter my basement?

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#33 of 37 Old 01-16-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Oh lynn I'd do it for you, but now I'm sitting here at the computer trying to figure out what to do about my leaking bathroom wall.  And DH's sister is coming to visit us.  This can only get worse. 

#34 of 37 Old 01-16-2012, 07:13 AM

* More later!

#35 of 37 Old 01-17-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Oh lynn I'd do it for you, but now I'm sitting here at the computer trying to figure out what to do about my leaking bathroom wall.  And DH's sister is coming to visit us.  This can only get worse. 

Time to have a plumbing party!  (I'm not kidding, we've done this.  Century home, far from town and any plumbers.  Everyone, mostly the guys, worked on it together and got paid with chili and beer).  Good luck to you!  It sucks entertaining when the house is crying to you!

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#36 of 37 Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I once had a painting party.  That was fun Until I realized someone painted all my socket covers...  Dorks.  It'll work out.  My friends husband does plumbing and they're in need of money.  So I'm going to have him do the work instead of the people I usually call. 

#37 of 37 Old 03-16-2012, 11:47 AM

As a commuting family, we have very little time at home.  We leave the house at 6am and don't get home till after 6pm.  I have 2 children living at home, 7 and 3.  I started making a "Chore Chart" that only has 7 chores on it.  They get a sticker of their choosing.  These little girls love having their stickers on their chart on the frig.  It is the best reward I could possibly give them.  They are to do these chores while I am cooking dinner.  They each have their own chart because of the age difference.  They are to have all the chores done or mostly by the time dinner is ready.  If not all are done, they have to do them after dinner.  If they are finished, they can play or do whatever they want during their free time.  Stickers work well in my house.  I heard of pennies, rocks, etc.  Anything they can see all their accomplishments.  My kids loved to get praised.  They love to see there is a result of their hardwork, even if it is legos slowly turning into a house. 

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page