flu question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-20-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have been exposed to the flu.  We dont get flu shots.  Dh and I are the only ones right now who feel off - very upset stomach, headache but nothign else right now.  we have a 7, 5 1/2, and almost 1 year old baby.  I know the baby would need 2 shots.  Did we wait too long?  Should we get them shots now or take the risk?  If dh and I go in do they have a test to see if you have the flu?  worried most about the baby.  Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-20-2012, 08:19 AM

I don't think getting the flu shot now will help.  We mostly fully vax but we never get the flu shot.  We are a generally healthy bunch and I just don't feels it's necessary.  The flu stinks but I guess I don't feel like the flu shot makes absolutely sure we don't get the flu so why bother?

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#3 of 10 Old 01-20-2012, 08:47 AM

Elderberry and vit D are your friends.  I'd get everyone on those supplements as of today.  Elderberry especially is very effective against influenza.  In fact there was a study done showing it more effective than Tamiflu!

A little recent anecdotal evidence...  A couple of months ago dh was down with the flu for close to 2 wks.  The kids and I took elderberry 3x a day and a safe but hefty daily dose of vit D and, despite being in close contact with dh the whole time, none of us got it.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#4 of 10 Old 01-20-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  we do elderberry and vite d and fish opil here, too, but I worry about the baby.  We vax but not  on time and never the flu.  Can I take elderberry while nursing the 11 month old?

#5 of 10 Old 01-20-2012, 01:48 PM

Yes, you can take elderberry while nursing, even pregnant, and you can even give it to your 11mo directly.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#6 of 10 Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

what is the health of your immediate family like? are they mostly healthy (but got worse as they became adults). how is your own baby? healthy till now?

if so i probably would not worry about your baby too much. definitely keep an eye, but dont worry too much. 

my dd got the stomach bug when she was around 12 months old. i did not worry too much. all of 3 generations of dd's paternal and maternal families had great health since children. adults different story. her dad and i are very healthy too and rarely fall ill. at 12 months the only other thing dd had was croup. so i felt ok when she got the stomach bug. she nursed like a champ so i wasnt scared of dehydration which is our greatest fear (btw everytime dd got her vaxes she'd get 104 temperature - which is normal in my side of the family. with her first shots her fever went upto 104.5 and i gave her tylenol which brought it down gradually, so i wasnt scared of high fever either. the next two rounds and same high fever. so i stopped vaxing).

that does not mean that high fever and stomach bug is not worrisome. what i am saying is if you look at you and your dh and your family history it might clue you in as to what to expect.

i mean esp. if you have had the flu before.

dd and i again had the flu together when she was 3. again she drank oodles of liquids and watered down juices and we braved the 5 days in bed with no medicine and survived. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#7 of 10 Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The flu shot is not intended to stop the stomach flu. It's intended to stop influenza, which is primarily an upper respiratory illness. So if your major symptoms are upset stomach + headache, you probably don't have influenza (stomach upset is pretty for influenza, especially for adults), you probably have a stomach bug. Most stomach bugs are viral and pass in their own time.

Keep an eye on your 1 year old, if they get it, to make sure they stay hydrated. Other than that, you'll have to ride it out.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#8 of 10 Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 PM

Sometimes babies get the flu. It's extremely sad...but it's not as sad as reading the side of the flu vaccine box. There is nothing anyone could say, that would make me put that stuff in my baby. No way. Not for most anything, but especially not for the flu.

Mama I'm glad you use elderberry, vit d, etc etc....hydration, rest, snuggling and time are the only things you can do in a situation like this. I'm so sorry you guys are ill, that stinks...hoping you feel better SO soon. luxlove.gif

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#9 of 10 Old 01-21-2012, 01:23 PM

Check out this Zand page and click on influenza to get allopathic and alternative treatment options. I have her Healthier Child book,and it was useful when my kids were little.

Up the doses for you and dh. Speedy healing. It is never to late to get the flu vaccine,but I would never do it while already ill.You are in a weakened state and that could increase the risk of vaccine complications,but ofcourse you do what you feel is best.

http://www.healthy.net/Author/Janet_Zand_LAc_OMD/623

#10 of 10 Old 01-22-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

The flu shot is not intended to stop the stomach flu. It's intended to stop influenza, which is primarily an upper respiratory illness.

Just wanted to reiterate this.  The flu shot will not stop the stomach flu.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Tags
Parenting

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page