Do your children do any extra activites? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Either after-school clubs, evening or perhaps weekend clubs or activities outside of school? Mine does once a week a mixed sports club from 3-4pm. Wondering what else other's are doing.

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 11:38 AM

Library time once a week for little sister, homeschool group once a month for boys at library.

once a week art class for boys

Sunday school for boys

Swim lessons saturdays for all

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#3 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My DD does girl scouts twice a month, voice lessons every other week, swimming lessons twice a week most months, tutoring three days a week, and 4H once a month. We also go to the library two to three times a month, participate in community events almost every weekend, and have frequent visits to or from her friends on weekends.
#4 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 PM

DD has a piano lesson once a week.  Just finished up a clinic of tennis lessons.  She does community service activities through her school but those aren't weekly.  She's only 5, so the consistency of a weekly piano lesson plus daily practice is enough for us right now, considering she goes to school full time.  Weekends comprise of family time with intermittent trips to the theatre or museums.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#5 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Way too much! My standard disclaimer is that my oldest, DD1, is dyslexic and has an anxiety disorder among other things. She struggles with just about everything except sports which she LOVES. She currently has one full night of dance a week, 2 nights of gymnastics, a night of snowboarding at the hill that does night skiing and then snowboarding between 1-3 days a week. She competes in dance, gymnastics and snowboarding. I will never do 3 teams at one time again though for her. She is handling it just fine, I am getting ready to pull all my hair out. We will drop competitive dance after this season and just take rec classes one day a week from August-Dec and then drop for more boarding time. Dance right now follows the school year with another 4 weeks in the summer of intensives. Gymnastics is year around, 2 nights a week at her level, when she moves up to level 5 probably this year, it will move up to 3 days and 9 hours a week of practice time. Snowboarding is from Thanksgiving until the beginning of April.  In the off season she swims a couple days a week for the swim team, not sure if we will pick that up this spring again or not. She skateboards on the weekend days from June-Oct and white water kayaks in the summer. She rock climbs a bit when we can fit it in. She would really love to take an outdoor class this summer, but it remains to be seen if we can make it work.

DD2 is still figuring out what sports she does or does not like. At this very moment she does one gymnastic class and one ballet a week, and a ski program half day one day during the week. She is 5, we just pull her out of school for that, which is standard in a mountain town. Skiing comes before school often. shy.gif She played t-ball last summer and soccer last fall, she says she want to both again in the spring, we shall see, they both each have a game every weekend. She takes swim lessons 2 days a week in the summer. 

We go to the pool very often year around, average is twice a week, can be up to 5 times a week sometimes. We spend a lot of time at the parks in the summer, any free time we get, we will be there. DD1 and DH get a lot of time on the slopes in the winter, and they do some time on the river in the summer. The other kids are too little for most of that, there are 4. We don't spend a lot of time at the library because our's bites IMO. DD1 does therapy 4-5 days a week year around but that it either before school during the school year or she comes to our house at 7:30am in the summer. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#6 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 06:16 PM

DS1 was in public school until last year. During high school, he was in the Interact Club (service club - don't know if it's the same thing in the US), the gymnastics team (team captain his last year), the Ultimate team, choir, and drama. This year, he's taking a college acting program, and has a part-time job, so his time is limited, although he's an assistant coach on his old gymnastics team.  When he was younger, he was in Cub Scouts for four years, and went to the Boys & Girls Club after school (he also volunteered there for his first two years of high school, which is 8-12 here). He took Tae Kwon Do for a couple of years, and went to a week long art camp the summer after 4th grade. He also did a week long gifted field trip to a coastal marine biology research center. I think that's about all the formal activities he was in - he wasn't interested in sports teams, and I had very little money when he was young.

My other kids are homeschooling, so there is no after school. But, right now, dd1 is taking piano, ballet and swimming lesson. DS2 is taking Tae Kwon Do and swimming. (They were in a tiny tots program a few years ago, but wouldn't put their faces in the water, so I pulled them out until they were ready to go back.) We also go to the library once every two weeks, as well as other outings to the farm, aquarium, etc. etc. Since we started homeschooling, dd1 has also taken a circus class, some art classes (including one with a science base), pottery and ice skating. DS2 has taken all of those, as well as a dance class (called "Stomp'N'Boyz" - it was a lot of fun). DD1 will be starting Tae Kwon Do in the next couple of months. DS2 wants to learn a musical instrument, but hasn't decided which one. If they were in school all day, I'd think their schedule was way too much, but since they're not, I think it's okay. I try to keep them to about three scheduled actvities at a time, but dd1 will creep up to four when she starts Tae Kwon Do. I think piano is going to be a long haul thing for her, so we try to kind of work around it.

ETA: They also do an occasional "Behind the Scenes" at a local farm (assisting the farmers for an hour), and programs at our Ecology Centre, where they do games and crafts about various topics. (They've done programs on crows & ravens, bobcats & cougars, animal homes, skulls & bones, how animals survive in snow, and I can't even remember what else.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#7 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 06:37 PM

Yes. We go in phases- sometimes they like to do lots, sometimes just one thing. Right now they all seem to want to do a lot.

DD1 (7)- swim lessons, modern dance, girl's choir, Chinese, piano lessons, soccer

Those are all once a week, about an hour. She's serious about choir and soccer- she's been in this relatively formal choir for 3 years, and this soccer is an indoor league to keep up her skills until her regular team starts back up. Swimming is because I insist until a certain level of swimming proficiency. The rest are just kind of larks, things her friends are doing, things that sounded fun to her. We have carpools for all of it, or I would probably not be ok with this much.

DS1 (6)- swim lessons, after school basketball, Chinese

DD2 (3)- ballet, gymnastics

#8 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 PM

So interesting seeing what everyone's doing!  

Mine is doing karate twice a week and we usually do a homeschool playgroup on fridays (after school!).  Usually he's done more, like all of the above plus swimming twice a week or basketball twice a week.  He also has taken classes after school in wood shop and clay and piano.    I really like this relaxed schedule we have now, though.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#9 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 AM

This year we are doing swimming lessons once a week. 

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#10 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

This is the first year I can recall since my 2 dc were infants where they are not signed up for formal extra-curricular activities, ie. an outside, non-school activity that has a fee payment. It feels very odd. They are both quite busy though. 

DS (18 y.o.), a college freshman, is involved in 2 or 3 garage bands (one seems to be disbanding, the other hasn't quite started yet). They play gigs around the city, record DVDs, and make their own merchandise (t-shirts, buttons). He weight trains at the gym a few times every week. He has a part-time job at an art gallery, as well as tutoring high schoolers in math and teaching guitar and electric bass. He volunteers at a soup kitchen. 

DD (15 y.o.) in high school, is performing in the school's major production in the spring and they are in heavy rehearsal right now. She's the timekeeper for the school's hockey team. Other than that, she's cut back a lot on her outside activities - she used to dance a lot and was part of a theatre group for years. The theatre group she attended for the past couple of years disbanded last fall and she decided not to get involved in another one just yet. 

When they were in elementary school, they both played soccer in the summers and hockey in the winters and swim lessons throughout the year. They had music lessons and played in music ensembles. They took a variety of art classes, film-making courses and tried judo. For a few years, they attended Saturday School for heritage language lessons.   

#11 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 07:42 AM

DD (7) does violin once a week and swimming lessons once a week.

DS (4) does swimming lessons once a week.

Dd goes to school from 8-2:15 every day, and ds goes to pre-school from 9-12:30 every day.  I like the balance we have right now of organized activity/school and family time.  Most people I know have their kids in more activities (and/or after-school care) but what we do works perfectly for us.  :)

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#12 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 AM

My older kids are pretty busy, but we still have 3 days after school with nothing scheduled.

DS (10) ~ league soccer (August-May) currently playing indoor soccer, trampoline and tumbling 1x/week, piano lessons

DD1 (7) ~ piano lessons, choir, gymnastics (1x/week for 2 hours), Irish dance (1x/week)

DD2 (5) ~ gymnastics (1x/week for 1 hour)

They will start swimming again in March (lessons for DD2 and team practices for the older 2 in preparation for summer swim league).

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#13 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 12:15 PM

Ds (9 years) has piano lessons, swimming lessons and cross-country ski lessons.

Dd (6.5 years) has swimming lessons and cross-country ski lessons.

Ds and dd (3.5 years) have library storytime and swimming lessons.

All of the activities take place once a week on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays so essentially we still have 4 days/week with no scheduled activities other than school.  I imagine once the younger two start school and the older two find more interests things will get busier.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#14 of 21 Old 02-09-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempmama View Post

Yes. We go in phases- sometimes they like to do lots, sometimes just one thing. Right now they all seem to want to do a lot.

DD1 (7)- swim lessons, modern dance, girl's choir, Chinese, piano lessons, soccer

Those are all once a week, about an hour. She's serious about choir and soccer- she's been in this relatively formal choir for 3 years, and this soccer is an indoor league to keep up her skills until her regular team starts back up. Swimming is because I insist until a certain level of swimming proficiency. The rest are just kind of larks, things her friends are doing, things that sounded fun to her. We have carpools for all of it, or I would probably not be ok with this much.

DS1 (6)- swim lessons, after school basketball, Chinese

DD2 (3)- ballet, gymnastics

It jumped out at me that both your older dc are taking Chinese.  If it isn't too personal, I was wondering if it's because your family is Chinese, or another cultural (?) reason of that nature, or because you want them to know the language so they'll have an advantage in the business or foreign relations world, when they grow up?  Either way, I think it's a great idea.  :)

Anyway, to the question. . .  Both of my kids are in soccer.  There are two seasons each year, spring and fall; in one of the off seasons (winter), DS1 plays volleyball.  DS2 is in a club similar to boy scouts, but not; it's sponsored by a couple of local fire departments, they do community service, camping, things like that.

That's all they're doing on a regularly scheduled basis right now.  My ex DH is usually the one who takes them to the sports related activities, due to my work schedule.  DS2's club only meets twice a month plus maybe one other event a month, so I wouldn't say it's too much.  I like having them home.  I don't like having to hang out with a group of other parents making small talk, while the kids do whatever it is.  But fortunately ex has no problem with it.

#15 of 21 Old 02-09-2012, 03:13 AM

On Tuesdays both children have piano lessons, DD has sewing lessons, and DD also goes into the school to meet with the sped teacher (my DH) for an hour.  On Wednesdays, DD has knitting club.  Thursdays, DS has Cub Scouts.  Fridays, we have homeschool group:  1st Friday we meet to chat and have coop activities for the kids; 2nd Friday the kids play at the gym; 3rd Friday we go on a fieldtrip; and 4th Friday it's back to the gym.  We're a little too busy right now for me, but I don't know what to cut.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#16 of 21 Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 PM

DD1 will be 5 in May - she does ballet (30 mins), swim (30 mins) and jazz/tap (1 hour)

Each is once a week.

DD2 - 2 in may does swimming with DD1

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#17 of 21 Old 02-09-2012, 03:38 PM

The answer varies on time of year. DS (age 8) plays soccer in the fall and baseball in the spring -- baseball will start next week. Currently, DS is also doing three after-school activities (I LOVE these b/c he goes straight to them on his own after school, so DD and I don't have to pick him up, drive him somewhere else, and then wait): video game design, a soccer clinic, and chess club. DS has almost insatiable energy and enthusiasm, so he is happy doing an activity every day.

DD is 5 is in half-day kindy, and is more of a homebody. She takes ballet once a week and would like to take art. If I can find a decent class, I will sign her up. Both kids also have 30 minutes of swim lessons once a week. It isn't necessarily something they'd choose, but since we live in southern California, water safety is super important.

-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#18 of 21 Old 02-11-2012, 10:31 PM

Currently- nothing, we just moved from Florida to North Carolina and are still getting settled..

Plans:

Everyone: museum preschool day (1 time per month), library story time (1 time per week), homeschool group (1 time per week)

DD1 (5 yo)- tee ball (season starts next month I believe), girls scouts (starting in fall), 

DD2 (3yo)- not sure, want to find some sort of sport or dance to sign her up for but don't know

DS- (1 yo)- being cute... wait that is not an extra activity, its just who he is winky.gif

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#19 of 21 Old 02-12-2012, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I limit ds's activities to two of his choice, guitar and hockey.

But both programs are very intensive, for guitar, he has one private lesson once a week, and two group lessons every other week.

For hockey, he has one practice and around two games each week.

Not to mention concerts and tournaments.

In summer when both activities are over, he goes swimming once a week.

caffix.gif

#20 of 21 Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Nope, they go to school/daycare and that's about it. In summer, DS might try swimming again, but he's the oldest at 5, so we are still doing the home-time primarily. Later, I want them to CHOOSE their activities. One a season, until high school, then they can do two a season. I also want to start them on Spiral Scouts soon, as a periodic extra. But that will be a very low-pressure thing for them, and us.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#21 of 21 Old 02-14-2012, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My oldest is involved in something year round but not all at one time.She is autistic and has no social skills so her therapist recommended we keep her in a activity year round and it has worked well.

(DD6)-Ballet/Tap 1x a week on Thursdays year round, Kickball starting next month until April,tutoring 2x a week after school until April,t-ball April-June,Soccer August-Oct, and she has mentioned Basketball that starts in December. She plays for the towns rec dept so every sport is 1-2 months long.

(DD4)-Kickball next month and soccer in august  is all she has shown interest in.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 

Tags
Parenting

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page