Going to the movies "alone"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh wise mommas, let me know what you think of this idea :)

We are thinking about going to the movies with our DD, who is 8 and her friend (9) and having the girls see a kid's movie and Mom and Dad see a grown up movie in the next theater over. I would sit with the girls until the movie begins and our movie ends first. They have been to the theater before, they follow direction well, and know about strangers and safety rules. We have explained where we would be and that if they need us, that they can come and get us. (We even have an extra cell phone we could leave with them.)

What do you think? Do you see any pitfalls I haven't thought of?

#2 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Depending on the kids and the movies theatre, I think it's a great idea. I would take them to the bathroom right before the movie, not buy them drinks, and figure out a plan just in case they need to pee.

I hope you all have a good time!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 AM

I don't see anything worng with it.

You said they follow directions well. It is a kids movie. And as long as they would not go anywhere with anyone there isn;t a problem.

8 and 9 is definatly old enough for some independence and fun without parents attached to them.

But, you know your own child best. Are the children comfortable with the situation?

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

The kiddos are excited about it and the other mom gave us the green-light. They are very good girls and are very unlikely to make trouble for themselves.

#5 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'd be fine with my 9 year doing that as well. I think you have an excellent plan laid out! Have fun. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#6 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Oh sure. I'd do that as long as your movie gets out first. If you don't mind too much it might be a good idea if you and your DH sit in the back of your theater. Actually I would have your DH get seats and then take the girls in there and show them where he's sitting and then take them back to their theater and set them free to find their own seats. I'd be fine with getting them snacks and them going to the bathroom, too, as long as they go together. 

Now, my dd1 (10) would never go for it in a million years, but I would!! I think my dd2 (8) would, too. 

Sounds like a great idea. Have fun!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#7 of 10 Old 01-29-2012, 06:37 AM

I say go for it. Also have a place to meet designated in case their movie gets out first (you said yours gets out first, I would be prepared for the opposite just in case). For example, a bench, or area in a food court, where they are to wait for you if they can't find you.

Definitely send the cell phone with them, just in case they need it.

Have fun at the movies!!!
#8 of 10 Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

They did great! We explained everything, showed them where we were sitting, went over expectations and the buddy system. I stayed with them until their movie started, and ran in and checked on them twice during the movie. They were fine. Their movie ended up getting out first, but they totally followed our directions (if we are not sitting in the designated spot waiting for them, come into our theater) and everthing went well!

I love slowly letting my DD gain her independence! I feel like the world thinks our kids have to be confined and handcuffed to us until they are teens. But how will she develop the skills she needs if she doesn't get the chance to practice obe step at a time?

#9 of 10 Old 03-10-2012, 12:48 PM

Seriously? They are 8 and 9 years old, you really do not need to make a big deal of them sitting in a movie theater by themselves, what are the gonna do? Laugh too loudly at the screen? I mean seriously, come on!!!

#10 of 10 Old 03-10-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdqwd View Post

Seriously? They are 8 and 9 years old, you really do not need to make a big deal of them sitting in a movie theater by themselves, what are the gonna do? Laugh too loudly at the screen? I mean seriously, come on!!!

Heh, while I can sympathize with this perspective... I can't blame a parent for being hesitant, especially when someone else's kid is also involved. Remember in most areas it's pretty frowned upon to leave your kid under age 12 at home alone long enough to watch a movie. I think one or two states even have a law to that effect. It seems like these days you can't just think "What's good for my kid?"; you also have to think, "What's not going to get CPS involved in our lives?"

And, actually, I think there are some 8- and 9-year-olds who would misbehave in a movie theater if they didn't have a parent to keep them in line. Running around playing tag in isle, talking over the movie, etc.

Jen Muise likes this.

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page